[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have a burnt fuse in my LG g3, decided to try to fix it my
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5
File: _20160401_143254.jpg (227 KB, 1182x941) Image search: [Google]
_20160401_143254.jpg
227 KB, 1182x941
I have a burnt fuse in my LG g3, decided to try to fix it myself, but I can't find the part anywhere in Australia.

https://www.encompassparts.com/item/10393296/LG/EAH62172601/Diode,_Tvs

That's the part I need, but I can't find anywhere in Aus selling it.

I'm a bit of a poorfag though, so I'd rather fix it than resort to buying another phone. Where can I find this part?

Pic related is the g3, it's the little black square next to the micro USB
>>
Have you got a schematic of that part of the circuit? If its simply a crowbar diode you should be able to use something else.

How did you blow it up?
>>
File: _20160504_141840.jpg (138 KB, 606x1170) Image search: [Google]
_20160504_141840.jpg
138 KB, 606x1170
>>988292
I'm guessing it was a bad charger, I'm going to throw out all my cheap chargers soon and only use the reliable ones.

I just woke up one day and the battery was draining super fast (flat in 12 hours standby) and the phone was warmer than usual. Opened the back out of curiosity and saw the burnt ic. Not sure if it's clear in the image though.

And I think so, I'll check the service manual.
>>
You should be able to just replace the whole USB board for a few bucks.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-05-04-14-24-31.png (530 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-05-04-14-24-31.png
530 KB, 1080x1920
>>988297
It's not a seperate board, it's part of the mainboard. At that price I might as well buy a new phone.

>>988292
Almost found it, hopefully this helps too
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-05-04-14-28-23.png (306 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-05-04-14-28-23.png
306 KB, 1080x1920
>>988292
>crowbar diode
>use something else
Will it work without it? I'm tempted to just desolder it but I'm worried I'll premakill the phone
>>
>>988298
Wow, looked up a teardown of it and that motherboard is a really weird design.

>current year
>easily worn out parts aren't easily replaceable
>>
>>988291
do you won a microscope and a good heat gun? if not you are probably going to do worse than it already is
sry :(
>>
>>988304
That's what I'm worried about, but I do have a heat gun in the mail and I have good eyes for seeing things close up.

>>988303
Yeah, it's super annoying. On my old nexus 5 replacing this would have only cost $10 for a new one from china.
>>
>>988291
>I have a burnt fuse in my LG g3, decided to try to fix it myself, but I can't find the part anywhere in Australia.
Just bridge it with solder, if the phone's working right you don't need that fuse anyways :^)
>>
>>988291
you sure that's a fuse m8?
looks like a lithium charger IC or a fuel gauge IC, which is easy to identify from the 5 pin design. Check your designators (if they have any)
>>
>>988316
>lithium charger ic
Like tp4056? It's so small though.

What can I do?

>>988309
Good point, but I'm not sure it's a fuse
>>
>>988317
it's not easy to replace the component in your pic
it's only feasibly with proper equipment like hot air. I recommend just bringing it to a repair shop and bring the part and ask if you can get a discount for having it on hand
>>
>>988320
They wouldn't sell it to me, I've tried.

One place wanted to charge $99, the other place was $110, they wanted to replace it themselves.

I'm not spending that much on a phone I bought second hand for $150.
>>
>>988323
If you seriously cannot find the part on digikey, that's understandable since a lot of OEMs block their public sale. I don't know what else to say m8, it's just bad luck that it failed on you.
>>
>>988324
I know.

I was just hoping someone here might have something to ad to help before I tried selling it for parts.
>>
>>988325
A lot of charger ICs from different manufacturers have similar specifications. If you're very technical and can find the datasheet for the broken part, read it and try to match it with an equivalent. This is approaching "too much effort" territory though so it's up to you
>>
>>988327
Thanks.

I might look at the charging ic on my Nexus 5. If it fits then I'll be really lucky. If not then I'm fucked.
>>
>>988301
Which part in that diagram is it and is there a clearer version?

If it is a crowbar diode you may be able to drop something in from jaycar if your careful.
>>
>>988350
Based on the location of the pins, it might be the fuel gauge? I really don't know. Can try to upload more clear and better photos when I get home though
>>
Looks to me like something you could spin as a dangerous fault that got hot and spewed sparks and was a fire hazard and you demand a replacement as it was not supplied fit for purpose
>>
I know it is a bit off topic.

But you can find amazing magnifying glasses in car headlamps, usually from newer cars.. They are almost a half dome..

To to a auto repair shop, and ask for broken headlamps. Then you will be able to a good close up photo of the part..
>>
>>988291
hey op, have you tried going through ebay (and maybe you "local" craigslist) to try a broken phone like yours? if its cheap and you get lucky you can use that broken phone as a parts donor for yours
the only trouble is soldering those tiny joints
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-05-05-08-59-19.png (539 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-05-05-08-59-19.png
539 KB, 1080x1920
>>988502
I had the same idea. Unfortunately nothing on eBay.

But yeah, I have no doubt repair stores do the same thing for their parts, using a doner board like rossman does.
>>
Google the part number + "substitute". Almost always you will find similar parts with the same specs. Check the datasheets
>>
>>988301
Where have you found your schematics?
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.