[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I'm going to school in September to learn to be a millwright.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: millwright.png (14 KB, 297x181) Image search: [Google]
millwright.png
14 KB, 297x181
So I'm going to school in September to learn to be a millwright. 2 year program at Mohawk in Hamilton Ontario.

Does anyone have any suggestions for things I should learn on my own or brush up on before school starts?

I'm mostly concerned about math. What kinda math should I know well?

I took grade 11 Advanced functions and got an 85% I've been debating taking grade 11 advanced functions but I'm thinking most of the material won't be applicable and my time would be better spent learning math that I will actually end up using in the job.

Anyone got any advice? Even non math related, anything at all I should take the time to learn before school starts.
>>
bump. Seriously? No millwrights hanging around?
>>
Went to school for Industrial Maintenance, You will be financial better off going to a tech school for Automation programming. Either way, Jobs are plentiful.
>>
are you the guy from the GTA that was looking to get into the trades?, from a thread a little while back?
>>
>>989168
k well , doesnt matter if you are, ill replay like its you from before.

first, congratulations for finding a program

you need to chill man, this is TRADES math, at MOHAWK, its not really that advanced unless you take like electrical engineering or something

you will do shit like

the diameter of this cylinder and volume on the extend, now we will do the volume of this cylinder on the retract, so find the volume of the shaft and subtract. as long as you can learn math you wont need extra

99% sure your program will be at the stoney creek campus, which is
CERTIFIED PUSSY FREE, the main campus is where all the ladies go.

if this is anon from before, i will have to ask again and make sure you remember and understand how this whole thing will work

you will need a job when you are done school , then you can sign up with the college of trades
then you are only 8000 hours away from being a COQ millwright

your shit will be safety, pneumatics theory, pneumatics lab, hrydulaic theory/lab, machining theory/lab, a cab class, and then probably a retard mathclass. most of the math will be in the theory class if i remember correctly, and the college jerkoff shit will be in a "math class"

i like ohawk, i live in hamilton, but i have tio drive to fucking sheridian college in oakville to do my fucking school one day a week fuck oakville
>>
>>988282
what the hell is advanced functions?
>>
>>989177
Nah I'm not that anon from an earlier thread.

Oh I'm not worried about falling behind or whatever. But I'm a huge perfectionist. If I'm going to be a millwright I'm going to be the best fucking millwright I can be. I want to know everything I can to give me an edge.

Don't really care about how many girls are there as I'm moving in with my GF once September hits, she just got full time work as a welder.

>>989120
I want to be hands on, not a big fan of programming. If it was just about the money I'd have been a plumber or something.
>>
>>989216
>not that anon
ah too bad

>I'm going to be the best fucking millwright I can be. I want to know everything I can to give me an edge.

alright, i like your attitude,
heres the list of book things i have from when i took the course a few years ago
i was gonna post pics but i forgot how many fucking booklets it is
hydraulic and pneumatic systems- about circuits and diagram symobls
hydraulic valves part a and b
hydraulic pumps and actuators part a and b
intro to hydraulics
gas laws and coefficient of linear expansion
^thats the math one
my personal favorite unit of booklets
Threaded fasteners and locking devices part a and b
installation and removal of fasteners
non-threaded fasteners and locking devices

all about fasteners, all different kinds , torque, and what it all means

lubrication part a and b
firesafety
rigging proceadures part a and b c
ladders and scaffolds

i love these booklets i need to read them more often

>how many girls

yeah but asses are fun
>>
also, you will need to retake this course again when you have a job, except the government will pay for it and give you $1000
>>
>>988282
I'm in Hamilton and my dad took the millwright program 35 Yearss ago. I went to Mohawk for motive power and my OYAP apprenticeship. Is a great school.
>>
>>989243
Amazing, thank you, gonna try to track down as many of those as I can and read up before september.

>>989335
Awesome that's reassuring to hear. I heard iffy things about their welding program, a nickname "slowhawk" about its grads. I figured it was probably just a bad teacher or some lazy grads giving the program a bad name.

If things happen to work out my girlfriend's dad is a bearings mechanic at Dofasco, he's retiring soon but said he might be able to see about getting me my 3rd year co-op there which would be fan-fucking-tastic.
>>
Why not join an apprenticeship at the local Millwrights Union?
>>
>>989640
OP here, I was originally planning on going to school for physiotherapy. I never took shop before in my life. Recently I have started getting into these sorta things but only the past 8 months or so. Both me and my GF started getting interested in this stuff when she decided to go for welding(she was in the same boat, finished a uni degree couldn't find work, never touched a tool but said fuck it trades)

So with my very VERY little experience I figured going to school first would be a good idea.
>>
Make sure you can measure with different tools ruler, micrometer etc., learn as much as you can about hydraulics and conveyor systems and lastly learn how to hit shit with a hammer. That's the basic millwright in a nutshell. I have been one for 15 years.
>>
File: 1462547208515.gif (302 KB, 360x240) Image search: [Google]
1462547208515.gif
302 KB, 360x240
I thought you needed to be sponsored/have a placement to apply to a school.
>>
File: 1462337331834.jpg (44 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1462337331834.jpg
44 KB, 600x600
Also while there's gonna be a hole for older millwrights retiring:

You need to realize a lot of the manufacturing in Ontario is gone.

The remaining plants are more automated, and need more PLC and electrical guys rather than traditional millwrights.

Newer equipment lasts longer and using Computer Monitoring equipment doesn't have catastrophic failures, as it's constantly monitored and problems can be caught and quickly fixed while they're small.

Shops/Plants are likely to hire you on at a lower rate than the retiring guys, as even a lot of Unionized shops have Tiered wage systems.

Basically manufacturing's shit.
>>
>>989801
you do. op is taking part in a pre apprenticeship like program. its all the same course, but the hours are meaningless twords your ticket, so he is paying for it, not the gubment

>>989803
nah, its fun as fuck and things break every day everywhere, and mostly every one is too fucking stupid ,lazy or scared to fix it

>>989494
>"slowhawk"
man, its a community college, so haters gonna hate. but that being said, its got its fair share of bureaucracy bullshit that is typical among community colleges/ school in general
>>
>>989799
How do you like the trade out of curiosity?

Like I said I'm new to this world and though I do find it really interesting I tried to pick the trade I found the most fascinating, people kept saying every day was something new as a Millwright and that you get to learn a bit of everything.

I won't lie I'm a little nervous that I'll end up disliking the work in 5 years or something.
>>
>>989803
This does make me a little nervous to hear but honestly I can't go 10 seconds without hearing conflicting information. One person says manufacturing is dead and to do something else, then someone else says they don't know what they are talking about, a friend says he has buddies all millwrights in their mid twenties making great cash. I don't know what to believe.

I just picked the trade that seemed the most interesting to me. Electronics and programming things seemed boring. Hopefully like I said my girlfriends dad can get me in at Dofasco. I hear nothing but good things about that company.
>>
I too am going to pre apprentice in millwright in september in BC, but ive taken calculus 1, 2, 3 and 4, not that i rly remember it all
>>
>>989843
>>989844
one person says its dead, but the canadian dollar says other wise. the trades is fun and exciting and something, but if you are in a faggot static company, you will be just doing same shit every day. the millwright at my work is same age as my self and i think he makes like 55-62k a year and he just needs to write his ticket, he is 28 or something.

its entirely possibly you will dislike it. i started to hate tool and die like a year and a half into it. but because i work at a dynamic ass company, we got some new molds and dies in and work became awesome again. also because im better than some of the other faggot millwrights, i get to just do millwright shit

also, dude, seriously, fuck arcelor mittal
>>
>>989844
>Hopefully like I said my girlfriends dad can get me in at Dofasco. I hear nothing but good things about that company.

except for when they will hire you on, and then not renew your contract after a year, despite your GF's dad being there for 20 years. so they can hire a managers son. or maybe your currupt union wants to strike. or because you are babby they give you least shifts
>>
>>989881 arcelor mittal?
>>
>>989881
Cool thanks for the response. I am hoping to be as good at my job as I can and learn from as many people as I can. At least that way even if the work becomes dull I can take the skills home and do projects in my spare time. Been welding up furniture from old scrap parts with my girlfriend and were gonna sell em for a couple bucks.

I'm not gonna be done school until I'm 28, but hopefully I can be making something like 50k by the time I'm in my mid 30's. Whats the average journeyman Millwright pay these days? I figure if me and my GF both make around 50-60k we should be able to live comfortably. At least better than half my friends who went to uni and now have so.mich debt and jobs making 30k a year. Even the guy who did biomed cant find work. Fuck uni these days.
>>
>>989889
the indian company that owns defasco

>>989891
at a good place it will be like 70-80 or its suppossed to be around that depending on how many tickets, and if you completed your apprenticeship there or not
>>
>>989907
Wats a ticket
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.