[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /diy/, I need a piece of furniture for all my vidya geams.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 5
File: consoles.jpg (219 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
consoles.jpg
219 KB, 1920x1080
Hey /diy/, I need a piece of furniture for all my vidya geams. I was thinking one of those cube organizers might be nice, but they're all either tiny 2- or 3- square cupboards that won't hold everything, or they're giant monsters that would probably pick my TV like 5 feet off the floor, assuming they can even support my oldass Trinitron behemoth at all.

So, my next idea was to try and build something myself. But then I remembered that I have no experience and only a few tools. I'd like to get into woodworking/metalworking, but I've never really had a good idea how to start. Surely a wooden box wouldn't be too hard... Right?

Is there a guide for this sort of thing, or maybe a blueprint? What does /diy/ think I should do?
>>
File: images.jpg (6 KB, 183x275) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6 KB, 183x275
>>987635
Here you go.
>>
Step 1: give up trying to have everything hooked up to the TV at once.
Step 2: put each system in its own box with the games and accessories if possible
Step 3: rig up some video inputs and a power outlet so you can easily hook up whatever you want to play
>>
>build huge coffee table in shape of SNES or NES controller
>hollow it out and put hinges on it so it can store stuff inside
>place laptop or micro-ATX style PC inside
>install emulators and frontend like Hyperspin
>place all controllers inside table for storage with UBS-controller adapters
>bonus points your giant table functions as a controller also
>>
>>987641
>Not big enough
>>
>>987635
Do you want them on display or are you just looking for adequate storage?
>>
>>987834
Just a place where they'll be ready to use without needing to drag them out and plug everything in, would be ideal.
>>
>>987635
Cube Storage (or build one they are just planks arranged to have 11x11x11in cube shaped holes with 1/2in to either side of wood support. (stick fat ass consoles on top or on a shelf most are under that size)

Stick console in each cube, use one of their cloth bins they make for those things for controllers and bullshit. Buy a couple large shop grade surge protectors with the really spaced out sockets to space out those fucking AC adapters.

Maybe add in a wall shelf shelf or risers in a cube for handhelds that are small.

Buy a few cheap AV switches they have some low cost ones that have 8 ports in, so 1 or 2 will probably do it. And maybe an HD one for newer shit if you don't have enough built in ports for component/hdmi.

Then buy a Raspberry Pi and an SD card and use that instead since it can do most of whats pictured fairly well and can mount to the back of the TV.
>>
File: 1119131601.jpg (200 KB, 960x1280) Image search: [Google]
1119131601.jpg
200 KB, 960x1280
I bought this server rack that I intend to use as an entertainment center. I'll get more shelves to hold my media and gaming units.

(it's not set up yet, though.)
>>
File: mtx-8x8-cva-r.jpg (15 KB, 400x236) Image search: [Google]
mtx-8x8-cva-r.jpg
15 KB, 400x236
Regular shelving unit should work fine, next to the TV table/stand

>>987901
this would be sick, I just which video switches were cheaper.
>>
>>987904
>I just which video switches were cheaper.
check out inline line of INxxxx BNC switches

handles composite, svideo, component, RGBs, RGsB, RGBHV

i got a 16 input switch for 25 bucks on ebay
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.