[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My girlfriend has a cat who likes to scratch wooden door frames.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7
File: notmydoorframeLOL.jpg (31 KB, 675x900) Image search: [Google]
notmydoorframeLOL.jpg
31 KB, 675x900
My girlfriend has a cat who likes to scratch wooden door frames. Getting rid of the cat is sort of not an option.

What's the thick material that sticks onto surfaces and can be removed later? It's like heavy wallpaper. A lot of people who get cabinets with old shitty interiors will layer the insides of the drawers with it, etc. I'm thinking of just covering all the doorframes with it, then removing it before we move and sanding off what few scratches are left on the wood. But I can't remember what it's CALLED.

Pic related, but not my door frame.
>>
There's Vinyl wrap, but not sure if its an actual 'solution', basically the furry little cunt needs a scratching post.
>>
File: weasel_eating_calzone.jpg (53 KB, 437x437) Image search: [Google]
weasel_eating_calzone.jpg
53 KB, 437x437
>>987585
If you get it a proper scratching post, it'll prefer that over this shit.

Assuming its not doing it just doing it because it knows it pisses you off.
>>
>>987589
>Assuming its not doing it just doing it because it knows it pisses you off.

Yeah... the post helps, but doesn't seem to fix the problem.
>>
I have about 15 of those cardboard scratches laid out along lathes to things I don't want scratched. Try putting one on either side of the door along the path of the cat. Scratching these things is so automatic my cat starts walking across them and then goes to town on it. Hopefully she doesn't have the urge when she passes the doorways.

I've heard the following can work but haven't tried:
No scratch spray, sprayed on the surface
Double sided tape
Tin foil wrapping
>>
Get the cat declawed.
>>
>>987600
Spray bottles can help. But some cats are stubborn.
>>
>>987606
TFW your gf brings the cat home from getting declawed. And she comes in with the biggest shit grin on her face.

The look says it all
>Try climbing up those curtains again you little shit.

Cat mellowed out after than point.
>>
>>987585
>cat who likes to scratch wooden door frames. Getting rid of the cat is sort of not an option.

your girlfriend is a cunt and she's too retarded to understand that her cat destroying your rental isnt cute, its absolutely terrible and will get you evicted.
>>
>>987623
>your girlfriend is a cunt and she's too retarded to understand that her cat destroying your rental isnt cute, its absolutely terrible and will get you evicted.

Op didn't say his girlfriend thought it was cute, just that getting rid of it isn't an option. My girlfriend has a dog, she's had it for longer than I've known her. I am allergic to dogs. The dog lives here with us because she would cut off her own arm before she would get rid of the dog. People are attached to their pets.

They make sprays that you can spray fabrics with that taste terrible to cats so that they will stop scratching because they don't want to lick it off their paws. Combine that with a water spray bottle when you catch it doing it.

You could also look at getting it declawed like overs have said.
>>
>>987585
What you are looking for the name of is Contact paper.

Declawing cats is inhumane.
>>
>>987585
Put double sided sticky tape(carpet tape) on where it scratches. Cats fucking hate touching double sided sticky tape
>>
>dating a cat-owner
>ISHYGDDT.png
If getting rid of the cat isn't an option, get rid of her.
>>
>>987585
used to have a cat that seemed to enjoy climbing up one door frame in particular.
on replacing the fucked up wood it turns out there was a gap (VERY old house) around the frame that a mouse was apparently using to get around the place.

on a different note i knew people who smeared anti-climb paint (essentially grease) on the bottom of a fence to stop a cat crawling underneath which worked great but i wouldn't advise doing it indoors, that shit gets everywhere and absolutely ruins carpets and walls.
>>
>>987719
I dont think anyone asked for your moral or ethical input, just a solution
>>
>>987606
Do this if you want piss all over everything.

It'll work great.
>>
>>987585
look up Soft Claws or other brands of nail caps

they last 4-8 weeks and prevent scratching without bothering the cat
>>
>>987752
i'll rephrase for anon here:

Declawing cats was /formally declared inhumane/ years ago. Good luck finding a licensed vet who will go through the procedure.
>>
>>987585
Water and vinegar spray. I used it with my dogs and it makes them stop doing bad shit. I'm pretty sure this will work on cats.
>>
>>987585
PUNCH IT IN ITS STUPID FACE

CATS ARE SHIT

DOG MASTER RACE
>>
File: 1461902713010.jpg (100 KB, 610x395) Image search: [Google]
1461902713010.jpg
100 KB, 610x395
>>987606
>Get the cat declawed
Worthless sack of shit in human form. Get fucked. That's downright animal abuse.
>>
>>988098
no it's not, go fuck yourself.
>>
File: 1326832920731.png (12 KB, 268x236) Image search: [Google]
1326832920731.png
12 KB, 268x236
>>988808
>Mutilating the cat in a painful and maiming surgical procedure because it's inconvenient to you is animal abuse
>"Na-ah!"
Wow you totally convinced me you fucking waste of flesh.
>>
>>987872
Formally by whom? Are you that anon that was an sjw for mice in that other thread? Does anything besides treating an animal with the same rights as a human trigger you? If so, you may be on the wrong website. If you're a troll, then troll on, anon! I'm getting lots of keks from your posts!
>>
>>988808
>no it's not, go fuck yourself.
Cut off your finger tips at the last knuckle then come back and tell us that isn't mutilation and abuse.

> /diy/
> How fix scratches?
> Mutilate cat
> No, that's fucked up
> Your on the wrong internet

This is how retarded you are.
>>
>>988896

if you think cutting off a cats claws for no other reason that your own inability to train it is acceptable then you are retarded.

this is not about people being sensitive its about stupid peoples inability to do something as basic as care for a cat without having to mutilate it first.
>>
>>987589
>>987600
Yep. Solution is putting scratching posts where the cat does it. Cat psychology 101: cats are inclined to mark territory on vertical tree-like spaces they deem important. This is just what they do. They aren't trying to be dicks (they just are). Two options are to put acceptable scratching surfaces directly over where they like to scratch, or put a post close to it. The cat will naturally go to the scratching post because it looks like the most important, prominent vertical object in an important area (walkways, favorite room). If a cat is scratching an object you cannot move, and you can't have a post in the spot permanently (beside a couch, in front of a window or TV), put a post up in the hotspot for a couple weeks, then slowly move it to a more obscure permanent area by half a foot every day or two. Almost all behavioral problems are environmental. Gotta be smarter than the cat or you'll end up just pissing it off and making it spiteful for freaking out over what it knows it's supposed to do in its little cat brain. Otherwise you'll get a cat with interpersonal behavior problems, not just environmental behavior problems. I train these little fuckers. You work with their natural instincts and slowly bend those into desired behaviors.
>>
>>987606
I find cat owners hillarious. little shits tear everything apart and their owners hate it but they keep the cat anyway. even though it turns everything it touches into shit. cat ownership is this is why we cant have nice things.
>>
>>988918
>be at girls house
>inside only cat
>she yells at her cat everytime it does something she doesnt like
>since she got sick she has had nothing to do except scream at her cat, stuck at home.
>cat has started vomitting into the airconditioner
>vomitting down walls
>vomitting in the middle of walkways
>now doesnt use litter box
>only shits to the side of the litter box
>shits all over the house
>demands to be fed wet food with loud screaming
>if you dont the cat gets extremely pissed off
>goes and vomits or shits somewhere and starts scratching everything she likes

it's like a crazy person smearing its shit all over the crazy house walls.
>>
>>988928
That chick must be crazy, neglectful or really dumb. Some people shouldn't have pets. She made the kind of cat that just ends up getting euthanized in a shelter when she gets tired of it. I never thought of myself as a cat person. People I know would complain about their asshole cats, so I said: "ok, fuck it" and went on the internets to read about cat psychology. I went over and tried some shit and it fucking worked. Now I clicker train the little dicks to do tricks.
>>
>>988942
she's had it for like 10 years. the cat is her reflection. also raped as a child which explains why she's insane.
>>
>>988928
This douchebag right here. He may be a douche but he understands cats and how they behave. They are not like dogs in that they need to please their owners. You don't have to please cats either. Just not be a dick to them.

Just watch a few episodes (if you can stomach the Guy Fierri wannabe that long) and you'll see that every cat behavior problem can be dealt with. Most people are just too lazy or don't understand cat behavior enough to fix these problems.

OP, if you can't fit a scratch post in the areas the cat is scratching you can try stapling a piece of carpet to the wall. My cats love carpet. They don't scratch on anything else except a log I have in the back yard.
>>
>>988945
Wow. Sad.

Well, you can fix normal people's cats most of the time.
>>
>>987883
Go back to bed, Spot.
>>
>>987585
Just throw the cat in a dumpster somewhere and tell the dumb bitch it ran out the door.

That or smash it with a mallet.

Optional insanity mode is to microwave it alive but it would be a mess.

>do it
>>
>>988900
>cats
>trainable

kek
>>
File: catnailscaps.jpg (29 KB, 407x231) Image search: [Google]
catnailscaps.jpg
29 KB, 407x231
Softpaws.

Safe, harmless, they come off when the cat sheds its nails, and are adorable.
>>
>>988952
Seconded about watching that show. Had 2 kittens that appeared totally out of control. Watched the show. Solution for 90% of behavior problems was simply to play with the cat using a stick, string, and feather that makes a flapping sound as you whip it through the air, $8 at petco. Saw results in the first day. Not to mention they went from fat kittens to lean muscular things that actually looked healthy. The daily play time length was 5 minutes but is closer to 15-20minutes now (a few years later.)

Now if I could just get my 1 cat to stop jumping on counters. I've tried the double sided tape, tin foil, spraying him with a squirt gun, loud noises, the motion detecting cans of air. We thought he was done with counters after he burned a paw on our electric stove but after a move, he's back to jumping up. The deterrents cause him to jump back down right away but he tests them several times a day for weeks. We have a gas stove now so the counters are safer for him but I'd rather not risk someone in the family forgetting their food prep safety and eating something off the litter contaminated counter top.
>>
>>988928
If it's doing all of that then it's kissed or being bothered by something. My roommate moving in did that to my cat. Solution was getting a bigger place. Other times it was dissatisfaction involving the litter box. She apparently didn't like the covered kind, the large silica crystal litter, and there weren't enough spread out out in the house for her to get to it in time. Solution was a cheaper high sided open box, smaller silica crystals, and a box near her second favorite sleep spot. It takes time to figure out why they shit outside the litter.

Her vomiting can be a lot of things. Something in the dry food is unagreeable (try switching to a grain free dry food), it's an extension of the litter issue, the food bowl needs to be cleaned, water bowl needs to be cleaned, remove old food, hating your presence (play with it), etc. Those are all the reasons my cats have vomited. The nong rain food thing took forever to figure out and many wasted dollars on vet visits.
>>
get a pair of pliers and remover the cat's claws
>>
Kill it
>>
>>987732
This right here. Also, put scratching posts close to anything the cat scratches on and just convince it to switch every time you catch it. They have to scratch somewhere.

Another thing they're not too fond of is coarse metal mesh. Think more like small cage wall than window screen. They get all caught on it and it gets between their toes and really pisses them off. If you leave it up for a couple of months they just lose interest and you can quietly take it back down.
>>
>>989346
I've had that issue before. Use a deterrent like foil or tape on the kitchen countertop as needed, but add a more enticing perch in another part of the kitchen. Like a higher shelf that overlooks the entire kitchen, but doesn't allow the cat to drop down on working surfaces. Disassociate your scolding, banging, and spraying with the cat's countertop jumping (I reserve scare tactics for unprovoked cat-on-human violence, which is imo the only cat sin–hurting people makes scary shit happen). This only makes them sneaky and you won't be able to train them to prefer the new perch. If you catch it doing it, be very chill to the point you can just walk up to it and pet it, then pick it up and place it on the new spot, then give it a treat. Do that a few times if necessary, then stop giving it a treat if if goes on the counter at all. Continue to put it on the other perch. If you ever catch it going only to the high shelf, give it a treat consistently a few times, then only half the time. Eventually, no treats at all, just pets. Your cat is probably just very curious, and has a need to check out everything that goes on in the kitchen. Redirect the behavior. Oh, I've also made my cat think the only food up on the counter is raw onion. If he's in there and I have to leave my shit on the counter, I cut an onion and put it right on the edge. That shit is pretty funny.
>>
File: stainless-angle.jpg (51 KB, 450x250) Image search: [Google]
stainless-angle.jpg
51 KB, 450x250
Rolled Steel Angle
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.