[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm a teen who has never done diy I'm look in for a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4
File: images.jpg (10 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
10 KB, 275x183
I'm a teen who has never done diy
I'm look in for a project that:
>Is hard physical work
>Takes a long time
>Isn't bullshit hipster crap
>is relatively cheap
I'm too young to buy tools but I already have the basics.
Do you guys have any ideas?
>>
>>987267
I have some tree stumps that need to be removed.
>>
>>987267
Try making a stone path. Lots of variables buy depending on the stone type, it can be a lot of work. I do think stones don't cost too much
>>
>>987267
Pick rocks in farmers fields. That is serious work. Then build a little rock hit with walls and stick roof
>>
>>987272
Sounds cool but I live on a hill in the city. I could build it in the deck and walking carrying rocks could be fun. Is there a safe way to carry rocks over long distances?
>>
>>987272
I suppose I could build it in the woods if not. What do you think
>>
>>987267
buy a second hand car.
also, you probably won /diy/ bingo with this post.
>>
>>987267
If you don't have a decent tool carrier then you could do worse than get a pallet and use the wood from it to make a tool box/tool carrier.

Breaking apart a pallet is not that easy and it takes time to do right or you end up with a lot of broken boards.

Making your own tool box used to be a part of every apprentice carpenters training, so it is manly as fuck!

Pallets can be had for free, so the outlay should be very small.

Good luck anon.
>>
>>987290
Good idea will do
>>
File: mmaxresdefault (1).jpg (40 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
mmaxresdefault (1).jpg
40 KB, 1280x720
>>987269
>Try making a stone path
dont fall for this OP
I got stoned once. did nothing but lead me down the wrong path, bad times man.
>>
>>987267
build some flower boxes for your mom
>>
>>987267

Your picture says it all. Go split wood. Takes $20-30 for a starting splitting axe. You'll build up great muscles and endurance. Might even make some money along the way.
>>
Car. Something older but with good potential, beat up but running so you can use it while you fix it.

97+ for OBDII but harder to work on

I went with a mid-80s turbo coupe for my project.
>>
>>987267
m8, chainmail.
>Is hard physical work
if you are using regular boltcutters it gives good workout for forearms
>Takes a long time
takes fucking ages to make one chain tshirt. you have to:
1. bend a wire
2. cut shitloads of rings
3. put them all together with a nice patters (takes much longer is going for more difficult but cooler patterns).
>Isn't bullshit hipster crap
unsure about this one, but that is a good hobby to have, manly, builds up patience, trains focus, you know the shit you would need to handle a girlfriend. Also it does not sound boring.
>is relatively cheap
Definitively cheap, all you need is one stick and normal boltcutters and some wire which can be bought at any gardening shops. if you have a garage or a workbench, you can swap boltcutters to a metal saw, make your own "tools" for easier wire bending, etc. I personally started with lets say 20-25 GBP

Just think about it
>>
Try and dig to China that should keep you busy.
>>
dig a big hole someplace. maybe you'll find some old artifact or some crystals or something.
>>
>>987312
>if you are using regular boltcutters it gives good workout for forearms
why the fuck would you use bolt cutters to cut wire and how the hell is a project you could do without having to get off the couch hard work?
>>
>>987267
goto a trash dump and offer to help organise things
or goto some junkie haven/poor spot an find the lot where garbage is dumped and help clean it up.
fulfils all the criteria you mentioned and you can say it's volunteer work on resume to make you look good to employers
>>
>>987358
It's not so much as hard work but there is lots of work for it.
>>
>>987356
This. I dunno why but i love digging. Build a trench. Hard work, all you need is a shovel and some imagination.
>>
>>987312
I'll look into it
>>
this is an 18+ website, so fuck off.
>>
Look for an old car. Preferably a model T, model A, or a Chevy deluxe
>>
>>987677
this is an anonymous imageboard, so fuck off.
>>
Bbq pit.

Just make sure to use fire safe materials
>>
File: 1449093455557.gif (3 MB, 250x101) Image search: [Google]
1449093455557.gif
3 MB, 250x101
>>987677
>tripfag on an anonymous image board incharge of telling other to fuck off
>>
If you genuinely want to do hard physical labor, why not whore your self out for grunt work?

Dig some trenches for people wanting to run wire and pipes under ground.

Split wood for some old people or if you have a place to season it, split it and store it there. You'll be able to sell it to people once it has dried.

Do yard work for people who are too lazy/busy. Shit like tilling a garden/flower bed, mulching, trimming trees, even mowing lawns if you want to.

Hell if you want, you can go get a seasonal job doing construction. You'll be doing the shit grunt work, but it pays decent.
>>
>>987267
Go primitive. Make shit from basic natural materials. Start from rocks & sticks tier - only shit you personally can find innawoods. Use that shit to make more advanced shit. Keep going.

Inspiration:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAL3JXZSzSm8AlZyD3nQdBA
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCATQDpK94ASx5Eo2mHC-xQw
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYbru-MPO1xjes4FVn61JUQ
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyiT1vRQorIyFYAacxI4vHA
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFZ-LGULm1gGhd3uOjiZr-A
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuIdc01VqqIpbFVFhjP2cmQ
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSFaYYQzNMLo2U6rSNLpghg
>>
>>987447
>I love digging

How close are you to Ohio? The moms has a million plants she wants to put in this season.
>>
File: E4-1 Unbalanced.jpg (3 MB, 4608x3456) Image search: [Google]
E4-1 Unbalanced.jpg
3 MB, 4608x3456
>>987312
I came here to suggest this too. I wouldn't recommend cutting all the way through the rings with bolt cutters though because a score-and-break method yields a nicer product. Coiling the wire can be a workout though if you use 14 swg or larger.

It's not hipster crap if you do it well. There is no shortage of newbies making trash mail but only a handful of people who do great work.

If you really want to get some work out of it make riveted mail. That adds tempering, hammering, punching, and riveting steps most of which require a bit of physical effort.

Mail is a great hobby with low barriers to entry but a fairly high skill ceiling.
>>
Build a workbench, something you can base all of your diy projects off of, something you can bash up.

Requires a lot of sawing work, and a bit of hammering.

Find a big second hand vice for it too to start with.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.