[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the most nigger rigged thing you own?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 11
File: 20160427_214633~01.jpg (351 KB, 960x1280) Image search: [Google]
20160427_214633~01.jpg
351 KB, 960x1280
Pic related, it's my wireless phone charger magnetic car mount made from a HDD magnet, some zip ties, half a sticky mat and the guts of a $3 Chinese wireless charger.
>>
>>987126
i work on a farm and nearly everything is held together with baling twine. nigrigged as fuck, the whole god dam place.
>>
>>987126
the united states economy.
>>
>>987137
are you a Rothchild?
>>
>>987131
I have never once met a rancher, farmer or anyone in agriculture that fixes things properly. Or disposes of things properly for that matter either. Household garbage? Put it in the burn pile. Couple of old car batteries? Burn pile. Gallon of paint? Burn pile. Couch? Burn pile. Truck broke down? Park it in a field. Tractor? Field. Riding lawn mower? Field. Hole in the roof of your house? Apply 15 pounds of mastic and hope for the best. Pipe leaks and will cost $4 to replace? Epoxy it in place so it can't be removed. Outside light doesn't work? Zip tie some jury rigged garbage to the side of it and pigtail the wires to the old one so its a fire hazard.

They also tends to be people for whom a high school diploma is considered higher education. I'm not saying they are bad people, just ignorant in many ways. It boggles my mind that they well spend $70k on a high end truck to fart around the ranch in and yet wont get the thing serviced properly to save money. A buddy of mine's dad was proud that he did all his own services on his ranch trucks and said he saved thousands of dollars. Its seems this consisted of adding fluids and replacing spark plugs. Not draining the oil or flushing the tranny, just topping them up every 5k and changing the filters. When his engine blew up at 60k they found a layer of what the mechanic described as 'asphalt' in the oil pan.
>>
>>987237
Cool
>>
>>987237
are you implying that doing maintenance on your vehicle instead of bringing it to a shop is not properly servicing it?
>>
>>987257
learn to reading comprehension
he said not properly maintaining it was not worth the money saved not properly maintaining it.
>>
Stereo in my car has a plug in the back for aux input that my car didn't break out. Instead of going out and buying the proper cable I cobbled one together with electrical tape and the header from an old USB cable. Looks like shit if you ever pull the stereo out but works fine otherwise.
>>
File: WASTE EXEMPTIONS.jpg (53 KB, 417x435) Image search: [Google]
WASTE EXEMPTIONS.jpg
53 KB, 417x435
>>987237
Check out my Waste Exemptions. Spot the odd one out.

This is in the section of stuff I'm allowed to hoard for the purpose of producing finished products as well.

Sorry about shitty pic.
>>
File: trashwelder.jpg (1 MB, 2688x1512) Image search: [Google]
trashwelder.jpg
1 MB, 2688x1512
>>987126
My arc welder.
>>
Nigger rigging is best rigging, eventually ur nigrigs become good enuf to be reliable repairs
>>
>>987593
Microwave parts?
>>
>>987592
what are you going to do with the five tonnes?
>>
>>987608
Yeah. Secondaries hacksawed off and re-wound with 10ga wire.
>>
>>987612
Nice. I've got an old microwave earmarked for that but I haven't had the time with my other projects. Did you run into any unexpected problems when you were building it?
>>
>>987616
Yeah. The windings need to be in phase. On mine, I have my primaries in parallel across the mains and the secondaries in series for higher voltage.
You have a 50/50 shot of wiring it so that the primaries will induce opposite currents in the secondaries so that they subtract rather than add, and if you have the same turns on each you'll get no voltage out. You can sort that out by trial and error.
Microwave oven transformers have bits of steel wedged between the primary and secondary. These are magnetic shunts, they limit the current by allowing some magnetic flux to bypass the secondary. Leave these in to keep from drawing too much current and blowing the breaker. This is how the current control on some real welders work, adjustable shunts that can be moved in or out of the transformer.
Also, one MOT probably won't be sufficient. I tried first with one, and I couldn't get enough turns on it to get the voltage I needed, which is why I used two in series.
>>
>>987625
lol really? i used one MOT and had enough power to melt a slab of 1/4 inch thick steel
>>
File: 22022014308.jpg (207 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
22022014308.jpg
207 KB, 1600x1200
>>987593
Nice!
pic is my water-cooled rectifier for an arc welder
>>
>>987722
With 10 gauge wire, I could only get about 20 wraps and got 18 volts out. That wasn't enough for welding. I couldn't strike an arc, the rod would just stick to the work and immediately melt if I let it.
With two I get 36 volts which is enough.

>>987738
I like that ghetto heat sink.
>>
>>987757
Wait what? 18v with one MOT then 36v with two in series? What is the voltage of the power source? If its wall current you fucked something up.
>>
>>989505
Makes sense to me. 120v mains, MOTs have close to 120 turns on the primary, I have 20 turns on the secondary for 18 volts, the two in series are 36.
>>
>>989513
He was probably assuming 110V mains. Can confirm some places do have 120V mains.
>>
>>987592
I.. is your farm located in Kenya perchance?
>>
>>987237

It really depends

Sometimes those $4 fittings require an hours drive to get to.

Also there is no trash service so who the fuck is going to drive the same hour to empty a trash can?

Of course you have the guys that run everything into the ground but then you can tell them apart with them shiny chrome duallies that do nothing because that's what the tractor is for.
>>
>>987738
is that just a single loop of pipe with no pump?
>>
>>987593
How the hell did you get this to work? I've tried like all three instructables and the best I can get out of my MOT welder is a piddly spark. I'm using 12 gauge but that shouldn't be an issue
>>
File: monojack.jpg (420 KB, 3264x1840) Image search: [Google]
monojack.jpg
420 KB, 3264x1840
I figured /diy/ might get a kick out of this.

I'm a bit housebound ATM, but I needed a 1/8" mono plug, so I just rigged one up with some spare CAT5 wires.
>>
>>991292
Does it work? Pretty inventive solution!
>>
>>991295
Technically, it does. It's just a little bendy at the gap (understandably) and I sanded off a little too much, so it's not quite as snug.

I have other solutions in mind, but I just wanted to see if it'd work and get my project up and running RIGHT NOW, and it sufficed.
>>
I guess this is technically more /g/ than /diy/, and probably not all that interesting, but what the hell.
Someone gave me their old Dell to wipe the HDs and dispose of. Turned out the Dell was better than my current, and doing it's best to die, computer.
After putting the motherboard and bits into my case, so my gpu would fit, I found out that due to Dell's instance on proprietary I had to use their power button connection. Instead of doing things properly I just ran the bare Dell switch outside my case. Eventually the connectors broke off.
Now I just have two wires that I touch together to turn on my computer, essentially hot-wiring it.
>>
>>991342
You should mod a steering wheel with dashboard to your case. Steering wheel is the volume control.
>>
File: diy_dc_plug.jpg (66 KB, 1155x923) Image search: [Google]
diy_dc_plug.jpg
66 KB, 1155x923
>>991292
This reminded me of something I built 25 years ago and is still in use 24/7. I just pulled it out to take a pic of.

>.22 shell
>Retractable pen button
>Copper tube
>2 sizes of pvc tube
>>
File: WEEEEEE.webm (2 MB, 384x294) Image search: [Google]
WEEEEEE.webm
2 MB, 384x294
>>987237
I think you mean "willfully ignorant poor white trash redneck" not "farmer". I know a lot of such rednecks. I hate to be lumped in with them using the moniker, "farmer".

>>987126
Most of my stuff that is that way are in the 1st phase of design. As the design changes and I finalize the design it is normally top quality. The list is long and /diy/ has seen most of it,

MOT welders
MOT electromagnets
Heatgun air popcorn popper
A couple proof of concept VAWTs made from 100% trash (pic related and reposted)
Knife made from a disc drive case (best troll image for blacksmith/knife threads ever)
5-gallon bucket, manual, clothes washer
Flow hood from a microwave case and microwave fan
PSU resistance solderer
Shopvac ventilated welding helmet
Gaming steering wheel for Arma games using a bucket lid, books, broom handle, mouse, towel, and cardboard box (/v/ flipped the fuck out over that one)
Wood burner from toaster parts
Various soda can and tin can stoves, liquid fueled and biomass fueled
All my brooms are made from local plants/trees
Electric generator made from a stationary bike
Various solar cookers
Hairdryer forge
Drillbits from nails
Fresnel lens cooker/SDR
Electric toothbrush lock pick kit
Heatgun made from old flower clay pots and a toaster
Solar charger made from old yard LED lights and salvaged PCB parts
Wokfi made from various things
>>
>>991372
>Shopvac ventilated welding helmet
Gif name is related.

>Fresnel lens cooker
Hello is your name Dan Rojas?

Also, doyour drill bits last more than a couple holes in wood? Aren't nails made of the mildest steel you can get away with, since they just sit in the wood and don't have to be made to withstand all kinds of torsion and forces I think I know the names of?
>>
File: suckorblow.gif (962 KB, 420x236) Image search: [Google]
suckorblow.gif
962 KB, 420x236
>>991376
>>991372

Forgot pic lol.
>>
>>991376

Not that dude, but I'm sure he has the resources to case harden the drill bits after reforming/reforging them. It's only the first mm or so of the outer material that needs to be hard. If anything it would add toughness and make them less brittle than a standard steel bit.
>>
>>991388
I just have trouble seeing that "heat zinked pig steel from nails" is in any way comparable to "tungsmeme carbmeme" as a drill material.

But then again IANAMS.
>>
File: DSCN9959c.jpg (2 MB, 2048x4608) Image search: [Google]
DSCN9959c.jpg
2 MB, 2048x4608
>>991376
>>991377
>pic

lol I have an outlet along the line to reduce the amount of air reaching the mask. It is really nice though since I can have my head in full smoke and breath normally. Plus, it keeps me as cool as a cucumber in the summer's hot sun when stick welding outside.

>>991376
>>991388
>>991393
>drill bits

I only use them for wood and only when I need weird hole sizes or don't feel like spending 45+ mins driving to and from the hardware. They take only like 10 mins to make. Here's a reposted image of some. I only to the barest of heat treating, mostly to make them "pretty" as I'm told. lol
>>
>>991420 re: face shield
Is this something you nigrigged for work or play? I mean, shopvacs use the same airflow to cool their motors, right, so doesn't the air get really warm after some time?
>>
>>991420

Cool image breh
>>
>>990757
Tell me more about what you've tried.
>>
>>991342
Eh, that's something I do all of the time with bare motherboards. You take a screwdriver or something conductive and drag it along the headers until it turns on.
>>
>>987593
Works better than a Lincoln.
>>
>>991523
Same anon here, I actually just recently acquired by chance a Lincoln SP-100. Needs a little work, but it came with a 10 pound spool of flux core wire.
>>
File: VentedWeldingMask.jpg (2 MB, 2048x3622) Image search: [Google]
VentedWeldingMask.jpg
2 MB, 2048x3622
>>991423
I made it for health reasons. I don't want to breath fumes. I used a heat gun to melt in a vacuum hose attachment end. Then the hose can attach to it which attaches to the shopvac. The air never gets hot. There's no more smell than the clean hose since it was never used for anything else. The welding shield is just a cheap harbor freight version.

The shirt was for welding overhead. I wet it down so the sparks don't catch it on fire.
>>
>>987237
I've noticed this too, either farmers are country bumpkins with little to no knowledge on how tech works, but dont want to learn either. That or people with PhD in agricultural sciences who got fed up with city life
>>
File: IMG_20160511_182547.jpg (3 MB, 4160x3120) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160511_182547.jpg
3 MB, 4160x3120
>>987126
Main PC had an old PSU without load based fan control, meaning it would tev at 100% regardless of the load. It made around 65dB on idle. It was annoying as fuck, everyone in the house knew I was using the computer in the middle of the night.
I opened the PSU and found out it wasn't even generating that much heat since it is a small 250W one.
So I ripped out a random potentiometer from an old air cooler and put it in the PSU.
Then after assembling everything I discovered the resistance was too much so even if I rotated the potentiometer knob 0.1 degree, it would go from full rev to off. To fix this, I soldered a few of the lowest value resistors I could find in my resistor box in parallel.
When I was finally done I realized I could have used a LM35 temp sensor to make it more efficient but said fuck it.

Now it's usable but damn do I need to upgrade my PC
>>
>>991843
>Not using PWM for something you want full control of and that will run for long times that may heat up your pot
Wew
>>
>>991420
Reminds me of a time I was out in the desert and absolutely had to have a 5/8" masonry bit. Mine had disappeared in the sand somewhere but I had plenty of rebar. I broke out the 4" grinder and made a few of them. They only lasted for about one 6" hole each but it saved my ass from an 8 hour round trip to civilization to get one.
>>
>>987237
In the States, there is little point to having a truck older than 5 or 7 years (depending on the state) due to the vehicle being fully depreciated in that period. If there is no economic incentive to an action, why do it?
>>
>>992525
My truck is 14 years old. Replacing the odd part here or there (rare) and maintaining it normally is a lot cheaper than paying monthly on some car loan. It actually cost about the same as 3 monthly payments of a brand new vehicle. Heck even to replace the entire engine ($1k-$1.6k) is cheaper than buying a new brand vehicle or paying a few months on the loan.

The vicious cycle of rolling over your debt to a new vehicle or buying a new one outright just to float the original cost is really odd to me.
>>
that is awesome.
Thanks for the idea.
>>
That is awesome.
You really inspired me.
Thanks.
>>
>>992525
Because for people who live outside a metropolitan city area, trucks are tools, not fashion accessories.
No point in worrying about value when you just need something with towing capacity and reliability.
Why spend an assload on a new one when the old one is holding up and you can beat it to shit anyways? the value is almost nothing after all.
>>
>>989505
he could add a couple of capacitors in parallel
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.