[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
QTDDTOT - SQT
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 62
File: 34344316.gif (456 KB, 420x315) Image search: [Google]
34344316.gif
456 KB, 420x315
Questions that don't deserve their own thread
Stupid question thread
>>
Why no question to start us off?
>>
Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
>>
why is op a faggot?
>>
File: side view.jpg (70 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
side view.jpg
70 KB, 800x600
I'm trying to come up with plans for a desk. I'd like a sliding tray to hold an 88 key fully weighted music keyboard, so it'll be quite wide and need to hold a lot of weight. Preferably the tray can connect to the legs rather than hanging from the desktop above.

Any idea how I could go about doing this? Is it actually feasible? Something like pic related but with a larger top so the keyboard is hidden when the tray is retracted.

Might not really be DIY, I'm hoping I can find suitable legs with built in drawer slides so I only have to find a material for the tray and the top to complete it.
>>
>>987007
My coworker has something exactly like what you're describing. I think he built it himself.
>>
>>987007
I think your project is cool as fuck and definitely doable.

If I were you I'd consider using the rails and roller from file cabinet drawers to build the rolling tray. They're definitely sturdy enough to handle a full size keyboard. My file 5-drawer file cabinet weighs like 400 pounds when loaded.

The tricky part would be repurposing the roller mechanism so it doesn't look like shit.
>>
>>986994
Bro, I'm inebriated, but fuck. I have no concept of what you are even considering saying
>>
File: gywndolin_concept_art.jpg (381 KB, 1045x852) Image search: [Google]
gywndolin_concept_art.jpg
381 KB, 1045x852
I'd love to make some some legit moving snake-legs for pic related, but not sure how to go about them. Curious if anyone has a better idea.

Based off previous experience, I know I could make wire-stuffed legs or somehow rig the snake heads with fishing wire, but both of those options seem...weak. I want to make this more legit.
>Stilts for walking, extra height and less conspicuous than feet.
>Snakes made out of lightweight electrical material... Thinking covered wiring and heads out of insulation foam or foam sheets.

Initially thinking of programming the legs, but that seems even crazier just thinking of the range of motion and the hours needed to program natural movements, on top of making sure others or myself don't accidentally damage them.
>>
>Dark souls

You win
>>
I have plenty of scrap metal lying around, and I haven't welded much.

would It do any harm to go buy a cheap welding rig, and just mess around and take notes?
>>
File: pallet-bed-frame (11).jpg (66 KB, 500x481) Image search: [Google]
pallet-bed-frame (11).jpg
66 KB, 500x481
Didn't really know where to ask so might as well ask here.

What type of mattress do you guys use? My mattress has been busted for a while now and I'm becoming more and more tired of the bed I have.

I have an untreated >pallet that's the ideal size for a double bed but I don't know what to put on it. I was considering an imported nip futon but I'm not sure that's a good idea.

>>987161
If you can spare a couple hundred bucks go get yourself a Lincoln AC-225 or something off craigslist and fuck around. Please just don't get the shitty cheap-ass "MIG" or "gasless MIG" (no such thing) welders. If you're just fucking around with scrap, stick welding is where it's at, not to mention it's gonna make you a better welder.

I still can't believe how useful a skill welding is now that I became a welder.
>>
>>987273
My mattress is the firmest one I could find at the mattress store. Wasn't cheap though.

Also have a futon in the living room. Super heavy cotton stuffing that needs occasional manual redistribution but it's quite comfy (as a bed, not so much as a couch).
>>
File: IMG_0066_zpsqcvxbbik.jpg (39 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0066_zpsqcvxbbik.jpg
39 KB, 1024x768
I have some IEMs that are the same make of the pic and have the same problem. I was wondering if it is possible to just rewire them. All you have to do really is solder off the wires from the drivers and put new wire on. Something like this was what I was thinking of doing. Is there anyway to seperate the plastic? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hnk2ZDhoAhU
>>
>>987329
your ear wax is disgusting
>>
quick question I put 12vcc through an el cheapo 5v 9g servo, I don't have a reliable 5v source available on me at the moment(ghetto lab), how fucked is the servo?
>>
>>987414
If you want them to function properly as a servo, they're fucked.

If no magic smoke, then they could be jittery. If magic smoke, then IC is fucked.
>>
>>987421
no magic smoke, but nothing from my makeshift battery pack oh well, i guess i'll harvest the motors and gears then.

thanks
>>
File: s-l1000.jpg (90 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
s-l1000.jpg
90 KB, 1000x1000
i plan to build myself spray booth kinda like pic releted, but instead of this huge ass vaccum cleaner on back i'd like to use two 120mm pc fans and some fiber filter.
do you guys thing those fans would provide enough sucking power to suck air with paint particles through the filter?
>>
>>987097
What, are you putting on a Souls-themed parade or something?
>>
>>987601
no
>>
>>987398
Not my pic.
>>
Hi /diy/
I would like to watch some videos about making fresnel lenses and if possible diy way of making them. Other thing is how to make cheap lenses from materials in household. Third thing is that I was wondering if it is possible to collimate sunlight to a very small spot like laser does?
Thanks
>>
>>987601

You are going to have over spray fucking everywhere. Get a good size box fan in the very least or stop being such a cheap cunt and get a proper air mover like this.
>http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=air+mover
Your lungs will thank you.
>>
>>986990
What's the easiest way to duplicate my car key
>>
>>987856
Walmart.
>>
>>987605
Fuck yes.

But honestly, comic con. Been wanting to do Gwyn since moving out. Figure I can do something kick-ass.
>>
>>987601
Consider a glove box solution, yes, it will be harder to work in but on the other hand you won't have paint everywhere.

I've been looking at making some tools to replace parts of my multitool (SOG Pocket PowerPlier). For this I guess I'm looking at stainless flat bar (SOG seems to be using 420 SS). I don't think I'll have any problems shaping it but what do I do about heat treating? Or is it possible to find an already hardened steel bar?
I'm looking at making a new blade (to replace the chisel-ground original) and a combination cap-lifter/can opener.
>>
>>987007
Just use drawer slides, like from kitchen cabinets.

>>987945
Heat treating it before shaping it is a terrible idea.
>>
File: Audrey-Hepburn.jpg (506 KB, 983x1024) Image search: [Google]
Audrey-Hepburn.jpg
506 KB, 983x1024
>>987273
Go to a mattress store.
The worker should ask you a few questions about how you sleep/if you have any pain and give you recommendations based on that.
Buy a mid-grade mattress. As with most things the sweet spot for cost/quality is in midgrade.
My wife and I spent about $900 on a king size, so double may be around $700.
And lay on them in the store.
>>
>>986990
Why does that computer have a cup holder?
Wouldn't that be dangerous?
>>
>>987975
Guess I'll have to figure out a way to make a decent heat-treat then. Thank you for answering!
>>
File: 1740116_orig[1].jpg (308 KB, 1100x733) Image search: [Google]
1740116_orig[1].jpg
308 KB, 1100x733
>>987699
>Get a good size box fan in the very least or stop being such a cheap cunt and get a proper air mover like this.

Even a box fan sucks at moving air. I like squirrel cage fans but inlines work great too.
>>
do they make drink holders for hands?
>>
Lame question but, I currently work for a custom cabinet company and have so far loved being in construction.
My dilemma is that I want to switch to more plain carpentry work for custom houses but have no idea which route to go. Would like to get into framing, but commercial/finish work are also thoughts.
So does anyone here have any insight into any of these areas and could tell me a bit about them?

TL;DR Any thoughts on framing vs commercial vs finish carpentry?
>>
I'm fixing my motorcycle's wiring. Some of it has gone okay, some of it hasn't gone so good. If the wires are moved a certain way, I lose power to what the cable is going to. Does this mean my solder or my connector job is faulty?
>>
>>988212
that or you have a loose ground somewhere
>>
File: DSCN0697_cleaned.jpg (372 KB, 1224x918) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0697_cleaned.jpg
372 KB, 1224x918
anyone know what kind of metal this is? i recently bought a house and all the doorknobs and hinges are made of this metal. not sure if high copper brass (as normal brass is yellowed by the zinc) or straight up copper.
>>
>>987601
Ultra Kaze fans
>>
File: christmas_fingerbox.jpg (2 MB, 1936x1936) Image search: [Google]
christmas_fingerbox.jpg
2 MB, 1936x1936
How should i finish my fingerbox?
>>
>>988228
No idea of the base metal, but the finish looks a lot like a plain "oil rubbed bronze". Did you sand down those few spots? If not it could be plain brass with a finish on it.
>>
>>988243
i did some detective work after my original post and found it to be brass with a fairly high copper content.

it's the original hinges on a 1905 house btw.
>>
>>988243
also, i didn't sand anything that is just what it looks like.
>>
>>987076
kek
>>
How good are off the shelf vacuformers in the 75-150 dollar range?

There is a place downtown renting out time on their standing vacuformer, but the price they are charging is nuts ($1260 a year + other fees)
>>
>>987019
If you have any pictures that'd be great.

>>987059
>>987975
The slides aren't really an issue. It's just a matter of making sure it's sturdy and looks good.

Unlike the pic on my original post, I want the desk to have a minimalist look. Just clean and tidy lines. I need to find a way to attach a giant keyboard tray in the least visually intrusive way I can. Unfortunately not many desks meet that criteria imho.
>>
File: rollout202.jpg (536 KB, 825x1100) Image search: [Google]
rollout202.jpg
536 KB, 825x1100
I got the idea to make a custom built Gunpla stand that plays an audio clip and lights up when you put your hand in front of it.
I understand that it would require an proximity sensor and a speaker, but otherwise I have no idea what to do.
Literally have never DIY something requiring electronics before.
>>
>>988378
OK, look up how to do a motion sensor and how to make a thing that plays an audio file.
>>
>>986990
At my new work we have several bad freezer unit that need to be check constantly. I have a raspberry pi from left over from a DIY that never really happened. I want to automate a temp logging setup to save me a lot of time and effort.

I have been looking around and lots of things offer this, but rely on routing it through some third party sever or relies on other supports that complicate things.

Any suggestions on a simple way to do this.

>>987097
There are several ways to do this. Search "robot tentacle", just be warned some references are likely not work safe.
here is one that is covered in some detail with simple construction using a skeleton wire method
http://hackaday.com/2013/09/16/robotic-tentacles-for-a-disturbing-haunted-house/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ivorjawa/sets/72157635075054974/

>>987601
no, get a good fan with a proper respirator. Also consider a glove box and think of where your exhaust is vented.

>>988378
Google more, sorry.

>>987694
just find a cheap plastic fresnel lens sheet, they are not that expensive and fun to mess with, just don't blind yourself.
No, if you could collimate sun light like that it would break a number of laws of physics. see
https://what-if.xkcd.com/145/
for more interesting details

>>987989
it is not a cup holder, it is a CD drive
>>
Lets say I want to stick my arm up the leg of a pair of jeans, so the ankle seam is at my shoulder.
Lets also say that I want to stop the jeans leg from sliding back down the arm.
To do this, I would like to either somehow attach some sort of strap to the leg, or cut a hole into the leg near the seam to thread a shoelace or something through it. The strap or shoelace would then be attached to the other shoulder, I have that part figured out.

The problem is, I can't sew (and don't have supplies for it either) to attach the strap. Also if I were to chose the other option, I would like the hole to not rip the jeans into pieces as soon as the slightest pull comes onto it.

Ideas how to do this? Other options?
>>
>>988488
That's pretty goofy. I am genuinely curious what you could possibly want this for. But anyway, I think your best bet is to just get a medium sized needle and some thread. It'll cost you like 2 dollars. You don't have to know how to sew to get two pieces of fabric to stick together, just push it through both one way and then push it through again the other way about 50 times and then tie the end.

Failing that, you could try Velcro if it is strong enough.
>>
>>988492
>I am genuinely curious what you could possibly want this for.
Optimizing this >>>/hc/966575. WARNING, RED BOARD. Click at your own discretion.

...you asked.
>>
>>987273
http://mlilyusa.com/memory-foam/Premier

Pretty much any memory foam is where it's at if you got the funds
>>
>>988519
Actually that's the option I'm leaning towards the most at the moment. Gonna go check out a few ones next week probably.

I'm kinda worried about heat retention though. I can't sleep worth shit when I'm hot.
>>
>>988535
I've never had a problem with it, and i have the same problem
>>
>>988536
Good to know, thanks m80
>>
I own spare 10 inch subwoofer. It's an infinity 1030w. I don't have it hooked up because when I hooked it up for the first time, it wouldn't work unless you applied pressure. Online I found people saying it could be the voice coil or could be the tinsel leads. How do you figure out which is broken?

I realize if it's the voice coil the sub is basically junk, thats fine.
>>
>>986994
>>987076
>>988249
>when a shitty memeboi meets a normie.
>>
Any tips for tapping an M6 hole in 1/4" acrylic?
>>
What's a good resource for learning Solidworks?
>>
>>988814
Yeah, use a threaded insert.
>>
>>988903
for corrosion reasons, only a nylon insert would be viable, and for aesthetic reasons that wouldn't be very great either.

Not to mention I can't seem to find inserts made of nylon too easily.
>>
I need to make a rat cage that will house at least 18 rats separated by gender but im not good at making plans but i can build most things with a plan to follow

Can anyone draft me a rat castle plan will deliver pics once built

Thank you
>>
Hello, im looking to make a house cage for my rats. I have 28 of them and i need ideas or even a plan on what to make. They need to be separated by gender and the needs to be 14 cubic feet volume inside and the ability to open From most sides for cleaning.

Be creative, im decent at building and have access to a carpenter in the family. Will post picks when finished
>>
>>988951
>for corrosion reasons, only a nylon insert would be viable,

not a brass or aluminum insert?
they are pretty hard to corrode
>>
>>989035
Near constant exposure to salt water. And salt creep.
>>
>>989033
Sorry about the double post. Internet was acting up
>>
I should make my own thread in that case
>>
>>989040
What exactly will be happening to that acrylic sheet? What kind of load?
>>
So a rat chewed up my mouse cord while I was at work last night. I'll be working on getting rid of the fucker soon, hopefully. In the mean time, what are some super cheap and easy ways to get my cords off the ground while still being relatively cheap? I was thinking maybe zip tie the together then nail the zipties up a few feet onto the wall.
>>
>>988692
>it wouldn't work unless you applied pressure
Applied pressure to what?
>>
>>986990
My laptop is missing a screw which means i can't close the lid without destroying the laptop itself. How do i fix it? What kind of screw would i need?
>>
>>989398
Look up the service manual for your laptop if it exists.
>>
File: test.png (1 MB, 890x602) Image search: [Google]
test.png
1 MB, 890x602
Question regarding aspalt based waterproofing, the one you don't have to preheat, just smear all over.
Tomorrow's great weather but sunday a shit, blizzard, rain and everything. Will it wash away? All products available have 24h to fully dry but how will it really fare against a storm the day after?
>>
>>986990
is it too dangerous to put a sheathed sword into a lathe? i'm putting together plans for a cylindrical sheath/handle but i'm not sure how to get it cylindrical after i put it all together
>>
>>989463
It shouldn't be too much more dangerous than regular turning, as long as the sheath and handle are straight. There's no force tending to pull the knife out of the sheath.
You should do it between centers, not held in a chuck, so it's kept from pulling apart.
Maybe tape up the blade of the knife for safety, if it'll fit in the sheath like that.
>>
File: 122312_0549_common35mm11.png (9 KB, 611x289) Image search: [Google]
122312_0549_common35mm11.png
9 KB, 611x289
I´ve a had a pair of cheap sennheiser mx 365 headphones for 3 years now, today as I was watching a video on youtube on my phone the plug accidentally fell out slightly and the sound came on and off until I took it out to plug it in again but the left side wasnt working anymore. Question is, is it possible to damage headphones by half inserting them on jacks? like according to pic related if somehow the left side made contact on 2 or more pads of the jack, could that bust a driver? I mention their age because I have other 4 year old pair of the same model plugged in my psp all the time so I assume age wasnt really a cause. By the way it kinda worked for 10 seconds when moving the cable around.

It´s not really about the price, just want to know if it could have had anything to do because I have expensive headphones that I occasionally use and would like to take precautions in the future, thanks.
>>
>>989473
I don't see how.
Worst case scenario you cut the jack off and solder a new one, pretty easy to do.
>>
File: Vive-Lighthouses.0.jpg (16 KB, 650x366) Image search: [Google]
Vive-Lighthouses.0.jpg
16 KB, 650x366
I purchased a HTC Vive and I have to mount the light houses needed for tracking. I don't want to screw it into my wall, what would you suggest I could use to mount it? They're three or four pounds and I didn't think that double-sided 3M tape would hold it up. Will it?
>>
this is so fucking stupid, but ceilings have studs too, right? i'm moving back in with my parents and need to put curtains up in my room and don't want to mount them in drywall
>>
>>989481
You're right, it's actually the L shaped plug it seems cause bending it gives sound. Gonna grab a new plug then.
>>
>>989383
The cone. Like pushing in on it.
>>
When you push it, does it move smoothly or is there some grinding resistance?
If it feels like it's grinding, it's probably blown.
>>
>>989487
They do have studs
>>
Could I use a magic eraser to clean a soldering tip, as opposed to a run of the mill sponge?
>>
>>989514
Its pretty smooth. So it's probably the tinsel leads then? Sorry I tried googling this and I found a lot of instructions on repairing them but none on diagnosing.
>>
>>988829
tutorials within solidworks
not trolling, they're excellent
>>
Where can i get good cheap wood?

I have a shitty ikea desk that i want to replace with a grand looking one but the wood costs and pieces are impossible to find.
>>
When building a workbench, is there a ratio(cant think of a better word) of some sort for the dimensions? For instance if one were to make a workbench that is really tall, that person would have to make sure the depth is a certain length to prevent from tipping over right?

Super noob here looking to build a workbench
>>
I want to paint my laptop's keyboard like this in order to start typing like a real human being. I tried with coloured stickers but the colour faded rather soon despite washing my hands often.

Which is the best way to proceed with this? Which kind of paint should I use to resist the wear of my fingers? I don't dare removing the keys from the laptop for fear of fucking it up.

An alternative I was entertaining is using an old external keyboard that I don't mind messing with.

Do me a kindness and enlighten me, fellows.
>>
>>989687
It depends on how heavy the bench will be, what you will have on it, and what you are going to do on it.

If it is really heavy (like steel top) it doesn't need to be as wide/deep whatever. If you are putting heavy equipment on it, the same thing goes. And if you are going to be putting a lot of force on it sideways (ie putting a vice on it) you may need to make it deeper/wider.

I don't think there is any accepted value though, just make it fit whatever you want for workspace. Probably make the top an arms length at least.

If it isn't stable enough, put a shelf on the bottom and store heavy shit there.
>>
>>989707
You didn't include a picture, so I have no idea what you want it to look like. But I'd suggest the following
a) not painting your laptop keyboard
B) if you do paint it, remove the keys (it's easy)
C) if you do paint it, use fingernail polish. Each color is like a dollar if you go to Walgreen's and it would be durable and look good.
>>
File: qwerty.png (56 KB, 990x255) Image search: [Google]
qwerty.png
56 KB, 990x255
>>989707
>>989712

Sorry, my bad. Pic related.

I don't know if it'd be easy. I'll check again the manual, but whatever takes more unscrewing than the RAM bay scares me.

Why wouldn't you recommend it in the first place?

Thanks for the nail polish. Seems like a great idea!!
>>
>>989715
If this helps you to learn then go for it, but I definitely think you can learn to type comfortably at a decent speed without this visual aid. Just look up some exercises (or online typing games) to get practice with it.

Most laptop keys just pull off and snap back in, no screws required. You should look on YouTube to see how it is done, I'm sure there are lots of videos out there. I know I've done it that way for at least three makes and models of laptop.
>>
>>989722
Nice, I'll bear that in mind. Thanks for all the input!

The issue is that I type fast, but with the wrong fingers and it's hard to unlearn that habit.
>>
>>989711
Awesome. I wasn't planning on anything super out of proportion so thats good piece of mind. It's mainly a workbench for light gunsmithing and i did plan on adding a shelf.

Thanks!
>>
>>989483
Heavy-duty Velcro. Shit's insanely strong.
>>
I'm working with a few friends to build a salt water pump system.
Can I put two identical, small pumps in series and get similar results to having a single, larger pump in terms of pressure?
Eg, 2 300psi pumps vs a single 600psi pump
>>
>>989626
Home depot wood isn't that expensive. IIRC it's about 15$ per 10 ft 2x4. Plus they'll cut it to size if you ask. There's probably a better place, but I don't work the wood too much.
>>
>>989888
I just looked on the home depot website, and it actually says a 2x4x16ft is only 10$. So that's actually more reasonable than I thought.
>>
I am trying to stain some wood, but the stain just won't get absorbed by the wood. What should I do?
>>
>>989911
Buy wood tar, slap that shit on there and let it dry.
>>
>>986996
why do you assume op is a faggot?
>>
File: 164973_300.jpg.png (80 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
164973_300.jpg.png
80 KB, 300x300
how unsafe is it to have 8.5 to 9 feet of dryer duct when the max recommended is 8? it has a ~6 inch 90* out of the back of the unit and a like 2 foot s bend from the ground to the outlet with the rest being straight. ive also made sure to compact the extra length and tie it so it wont expand and will stay as tight and short as possible. how likely am i to bonfire my house?
>>
>>990197
I dont think anyone has ever described ducting as unsafe ever.

your dryer will just shut down if it overheats
>>
>>990203
i believe the danger is because extra length means extra lint because there is more room to collect it and the longer it is the less pressure the blower can push through it so its more likely to stick.
just curious if the extra foot is THAT big of a danger.
>>
>>989687
Secure it to the wall. If you do that correctly (into studs, not just into some random spots in the wall), it'll never tip over.
>>
>>989857
Yes, I know that for Civil engineering purposes, when we need to move water upgrade often it is necessary to use multiple pumps in series.

This provides the same effect as using a single pump, but is advantageous for two reasons, a) two small pumps are often cheaper than one big one b) a large sudden change of pressure can cause damage to the pump as a result of cavitation (essentially the water right before it reaches the pump has such a large negative pressure pulling it into the pump that it vaporizes which damages it)
>>
>>989888
Holy shit, that's expensive. Around here a 2x4 will run you about $2-2.50 per 8ft. If you want a real nice piece of wood that looks prettier, you can get it $5-7
>>
>>989911
Try lightly sanding it and then staining it.
>>
>>990197
It's completely fine. You won't start a fire with it.
>>
>>988440
> Search "robot tentacle"
> Cites a source that has clear assembly and item list
Holy hell I love you anon. All the homo.
>>
how much horse power should a bench grinder have
i have an old water pump i think i can convert to a bench grinder
>>
>>990349
im scared my pump might be too weak since its only ~.5 house power
>>
>>990350
how many watts is equal to half a housepower?
>>
>>986993
It's better if the OP doesn't start off with a question, because a lot of times, that derails the thread right from the get-go
>>
I've got a 12v car battery that I need to charge. No charger can I just hook a 12v wall adapter up to it or should I try something else?
>>
>>990415
i dont think 12v dc is the same as 12v ac
>>
>>990416
Wall adapter puts out 12v dc
>>
>>990417
sounds good to me go for it senpai
just dont over charge
>>
Sup /diy/,

Currently living in a crappy rental house, which has the potential to be not crappy with a bit of effort. The lawn is like 75% broad leaf weeds but there's a bit of grass. Should I just roundup the whole thing and start over, or use 2,4-D/fertilizer (eg Scott's weed n feed) and hope the grass takes over?

Visiting my parents for the weekend right now but i'll post pics when I get back so y'all can get an idea.
>>
>>990229
thanks senpai i appreciate it
>>
>>986990
I want to make a wooden rain barrel and while i have found a few tutorials for cooperage online they leave me with a few questions.
First most tutorials assume your making them for wine or whiskey so i don't know which steps are vital and which are superfluous for a simple rain barrel.
Second which type of wood should i use keeping in mind water tightness and lightness (the tutorials take into account mostly taste related considerations).
Third they don't seem to be clear as to the level of difficulty involved in making one without industrial machinery. I don't have that much woodworking experience (although my father does and i have access to his shop) and i want to know if this is a stupid idea from the start.
>>
File: The fuck are these.jpg (706 KB, 1500x1125) Image search: [Google]
The fuck are these.jpg
706 KB, 1500x1125
What are these things?
>>
>>990689
Polyester capacitors.
103JG = 10nF 5% (no idea about G)
223JG = 22nF 5%
>>
>Well I've got a question

So I've got a wrt54g v1.1 running dd-wrt. I used to use it as a repeater(not bridge) for a long time. but recently I've started having issues with it. no matter what I try I cannot get it to negotiate an IP with the host router. I've reset the thing a half dozen times. I've gone over all my settings. everything seems to be in order.it will gladly negotiate an IP with any device I connect to it(phone,desktop,laptop, etc). I've also checked the host router(an optimum online router not to be confused with an optimum wifi hotspot) and it does not appear to have any restrictions keeping me from repeating the signal.
>>
>>990694
Sweet. Thanks bro.
>>
>>989473
>>989481
>>989493
Me again, picked a plug from the local store but it was so crappy I decided to dig my old stuff and reuse another plug. My soldering skills are terrible so I triple checked all the joints to see nothing was making contact where it shouldnt, it works correctly but the phones kinda cracked sound when testing continuity, of course not realizing it was actually putting voltage on them. Question is, can this damage a speaker? Not only headphones but actual full speakers since I want to try some things on my commuter shitbox soon.

Also I was given a phone to revive earlier in the morning and after trial and error found it was the battery that was completely shot as in 0v, was charged just a few hours ago. In the process I did the dumb thing of putting my multimeter probes on charged and correctly functioning battery terminals to check for continuity. Decided to read about it and now I know you should always test continuity only on non live circuits or else you get false readings and can damage your equipment. So should I change my multi or do you think its ok?
>>
>>990771
>can this damage a speaker?
no.

>So should I change my multi or do you think its ok?
if it works as expected, then it's ok. a typical multimeter will take 200V on the continuity setting without damage. but quality varies so much between models, we cant guess about yours.
>>
Hey /diy/.
Im looking to put up some blackout curtains but the landlord has a no drilling in the windows policy (fancy 3 direction windows so drills and screws may well ruin the internal mechanisms)

I got some plastic brackets with adhesive bacikng, but they kasted about 2 days before the whole setup came crashing down.

Any suggestions for adhesives to glue (or weld) the plastic brakets to the window (also plastic).
>>
File: Overpriced table.png (251 KB, 1301x703) Image search: [Google]
Overpriced table.png
251 KB, 1301x703
>>986990
So, i found this table and it costs 1800$,
What will happen if i make it myself and sell it on ebay for half the price.

Are there any rules on using a design to make something yourself and resell it?
>>
>>987856
If it's an older car without a chipped ignition system you pay $3 and take your key to the Qwik-mart and have a duplicate cut.

If it's a newer car with a chipped key you spend $50 for a blank online, then take it to the Qwik-mart and have a duplicate cut. Then follow the instructions online for your make and model vehicle to put the car into programming mode to register a new key, which usually requires having two factory keys available.

If you've lost a key and only have one, you take it to the dealer and pay them $90-$300 and you fucking thank them while their dick is in your ass.
>>
>>990921
>Are there any rules on using a design to make something yourself and resell it?

It's called copyright. It's the reason knock-offs come from shitholes like China where they eat dogs and international law doesn't exist.

That said, "designer-inspired" pieces are common. As long as you weren't trying to sell it as authentic the worst you'd get is a cease-and-desist letter if the right people caught you and had a problem with it.
>>
>>990928
Allright thanks!
So if i copy the design to the letter, will i get in trouble if i sell it?
>>
>>990934
Technically you could, in reality you probably won't for just the single table. But you probably won't be able to sell it for nearly as much as the existing table is going for.
>>
/diy/

I just bought a chest freezer from a guy on kijiji and I need to know, how long should I have it plugged in before I put my food in it? I have a lot of frozen meat already, but I went shopping yesterday and have some fresh meat that I want to freeze. How long should it be plugged in before I start to fill it?
>>
File: segment displays.png (492 KB, 552x657) Image search: [Google]
segment displays.png
492 KB, 552x657
Any ideas on how to replicate this object? I have no experience whatsoever with any type of casting so I dont even know what terms to even search for.

I do alot of display work and finding this inside an ancient alarm clock opened a few more possibilities (RBG 7 segment displays?)
>>
File: 14628322240682062706293.jpg (2 MB, 3024x4032) Image search: [Google]
14628322240682062706293.jpg
2 MB, 3024x4032
>>991126
Bump
>>
>>991126
Give it a day, 24 hours if you can spare the time, with a freezer thermometer inside. Even better would be the type of digital freezer thermometer that tracks temps over time, that way you will know if the freezer fluctuates too much.
>>
>>991136
Thank you anon, I appreciate it.
>>
File: mVKBAvriUAo1h7i4ZDM3B3w[1].jpg (7 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
mVKBAvriUAo1h7i4ZDM3B3w[1].jpg
7 KB, 225x225
>>991136
This anon is spot on. I got pic related after my old fridge died and took a couple hundred bucks in meat with it. I also now run 2 dedicated freezers in the garage.

As a rule of thumb allow 24 hours for the refrigerant to settle after moving a frige or freezer before plugging in. It should cool down within a few hours.
>>
>>991144
Thanks for the input.

Another quick question before I leave here.
The freezer Sat for a few days unplugged in my basement, the coolant probably settled, but today I cleaned it out and had it tilted on one side to drain the water out, do you think that would have upset the coolant much or it should be okay?
>>
>>991148
Tilting onto sides is exactly what the need to settle comes from. If a fridge or freezer is kept vertical while handled it needs little or no time to settle. Flipping something on its side means you should let it settle down for as long as you can, the better part of 24 hours as you can.
>>
>>991153
Thanks for the info anons
>>
File: 20160509_182358.jpg (173 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
20160509_182358.jpg
173 KB, 640x480
I lost the keys to my shed and I'd like to have a little more protection from theft, so I'm going to replace this with either the same kind of setup or something sturdier. Recommendations? Pros/cons? I wonder about those two screws on the outside handle, what if someone were to remove those...would that make it possible to get in even without a key?
>>
File: 20160509_182410.jpg (131 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
20160509_182410.jpg
131 KB, 640x480
>>991176
inside. I guess the key ultimately prevents the handle/bar from turning. Pretty basic, but I'm not sure if there's anything better out there. Obviously nothing is going to be impenetrable on a wooden shed, but if it slows a person down, then I'm game for suggestions!
>>
>>989723
>I type fast
Your problem is already solved, hombre.
>but with the wrong fingers
NO, what, no!
>>
File: HS618.jpg (13 KB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
HS618.jpg
13 KB, 300x200
>>991176
>>991177
Im not sure what I would do.

I built a corral/fake shed for my riding lawnmower.
Its just 2 walls and a door, its attached to the back wall of my house.

I installed a locking hasp like pic related and put a puck lock on it.
Every time I look at it I think that maybe its just too much, and that its projecting to thieves that I have something real valuable in there.

I would almost feel safer with what you have, just to be less obvious.
>>
>>991195
can I just replace what I have with a new one? it's currently unlocked so I should be able to just remove the screws and pull it out I would think
>>
>>986990
How do I download more RAM?
>>
>>991224
Im sure you could find something similar at a hardware store, its only mount is a hole on the door so its not special.
Honestly though, those cheap tumbler locks are very common.

You could probably take it into a locksmith and get a new set of keys made for it cheaper than buying a new handle.
>>
>>990449
RoundUp the whole thing and once it's dead mow it as low as possible, then have a landscaper come and slit-seed over that.
Make sure to water every day or two until it's established.
Will look like absolute shit for about three weeks though.
>>
>>990831
Plain clear silicone I guess. Should be able to scrape it off with a razor blade to remove.Go easy with the silicone, a little dab will hold a hundred plus pounds once dry.
>>
>>991232
good point hadn't thought about that perspective
>>
>>991238
Thanks m8, how hard would it be for the home gamer to rent an overseeder from home depot and DIY it?
>>
>>991239

that's some real shitty advice. the silicone will pull off a section of paint, and the whole thing will fall down again, leaving two cardboard-colored areas in need of spakle and paint.

if you cant drill the wall, then you can drill the ceiling, and suspend the curtain rod using thin cable. adhesives are never an option on something that's gonna be tugged.
>>
Trying to build a go kart, want to make it unique by being front engine Rear wheel drive. To do this I want to use a right angle gearbox as a rear diff, however I can't find any reasonable priced ones that are rated for over 2000 rpm and like 1 HP. How dangerous would it be to use it with a max output rpm (after gearing) of 1100 rpm and 6.5hp/8.1ft lbs?
>>
>>990831
Try shower curtain rods. Many of them hold themselves up just by pressing firmly against 2 walls, the friction supporting them and the curtains. If you put them in the window frame, they should easily support your blackout curtains
>>
>>990662

>which steps are superfluous
none of them

>Second which type of wood should i use
oak

>level of difficulty involved in making one without industrial machinery.
10/10

>is this a stupid idea from the start.
probably, its fuck of a lot of work for a rain barrel. You can buy once used wood barrels or poly barrels cheaper than you could buy the wood to make a barrel.
>>
>>991402
old school lawn tractor rear end
>>
>>990662

Coopering was an apprenticed trade. It takes years to learn, requires a keen eye and both chippy and smithing skills.

Not even remotely possible by yourself without guidance. It takes years before an apprentice can knock out a barrel that doesn't leak.

Pretty sure How it's made did a Coopering operation one time, I know I've seen documentary video of the process and it's a fairly high skilled job, with a dying skillset, in the UK at least. We really only make them as replacements, or recondition older barrels that have sprung leaks.

A Scottish distillery might still have a full time cooper, other than that it would be a Frenchfag's bailiwick really. The distilleries often use old wine barrels as the oak is richly aged and imparts good colour and flavour.
>>
>>991475

My last place had those sort of thing for the net curtains, not sure they'd take the weight of proper blackout curtains.
>>
>>991496
>bung hole
>>
>>991760

What? That's what it's called.
>>
Is there any code-compliant way to splice romex cable together without using a junction box? Currently I have everything set up without boxes and bare wire nuts, but in one spot I don't have any way to put a box in.
>>
>>991816
Depends on what the building code in your area is. Since you haven't told us where that is we can't really help you.
>>
>>991851
Woops, forgot that. Riverside, CA.
>>
File: target.jpg (234 KB, 1179x772) Image search: [Google]
target.jpg
234 KB, 1179x772
Anyone have any ideas for off the shelf or near off the shelf steel target brackets?
Leaning towards a bracket for portability, I intend to throw this all in a backpack and haul it in and out of clear cuts, ect.

I have the rest of the shit I need to slap this together already sitting around: emt conduit, chain, shackles, eye bolts, misc bolts, nuts and washers, not really interested in shelling out 60-120$ for some corner brackets AR500 or not.

Failing all else, I was thinking of taking some scrap steel pipe and heating/hammering them flat, then welding them together and cutting a hole for the cross member but I'd really like to find something less labor intensive, something I could throw a spare of in the bag or replace with a trip to home depot. Don't mind drilling as necessary.
>>
File: 1429756814973.jpg (23 KB, 248x271) Image search: [Google]
1429756814973.jpg
23 KB, 248x271
My retarded friend sat down really hard on my couch and now the wood creaks when I sit on it. how fix??
>>
where can I 'learn' DIY?

I dossed about in DT at school and my dad died a few years back before I could learn anything from him

are there classes I can take in my local area? if so how would I go about finding them
>>
>>992356
Sometimes you see 'diy for beginners' or 'home maintenance' type night classes. Contact any community education and night class providers in your area and ask. Even if they are not currently running a class they might add one to their program if enough people requesting it.
>>
>>988238
smooth and round the edges on the finger intrusion point for maximum comfort.
>>
>>986994
You've got to be kidding me. I've been further even more decided to use even go need to do look more as anyone can. Can you really be far even as decided half as much to use go wish for that?
>>
>>989483
I am pretty sure 3M double sided will hold it. My go pro mounts are attached to my helmet with 3M double sided tape, and the gopro holds on just fine with 180kmh, so it should be just fine for those boxes (plus i think they are lighter).
>>
>>991699
Get ones you twist apart, not spring ones. A strong double sided tape on both feet would also help I'm sure
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSbI5_75BlM

What kind of tool is being used in this video, around the 5:15 mark? It's like some kind of plunging saw but I've never seen it before.
>>
I'm going to start learning welding after being kicked from my old job. Are there any books or recommended reading I could do while learning to help me pick up on it faster?
>>
>>992283
Check for loose wood beams under the couch, use screws if needed to join them harder, putting oil at the places where they touch can work too.
>>
>>992447
Oscillating saw.
>>
>>992182
Just cut a 1" or 2" section of pipe, and weld the legs to the side of that. Do twice. Then to set it up just slide the pieces into each end of the pipe that the target is hanging from.

If you make the diameter of the short section larger, than you can set it up like your picture and it should be pretty sturdy. Otherwise you could match the diameter, and make the section a little longer to provide the same stiffness.

Not sure if I described that very well, but maybe I got the point across.
>>
>>992601
There's probably some good online resources, and YouTube videos might help. But if you are serious about learning, absolutely nothing will help you learn faster or better than getting a pile of steel and just practicing. (Well except for a class obviously, but there's probably no need to go that far)
>>
>>986990

are MOSFETs either on or off or can they amplify an analog signal accurately ?

imagine a 20v-0v half wave sine wave fed to a mosfet, will the MOSFET either switch on/off at 10v or will I get a sine wave output from the MOSFET ?

if not, what component do I need to make a 230v pure sine wave at 50hz from 300v DC ?
>>
Depends on the circuit topology. Mosfets are square law devices. Generally feedback is needed for any kind of low distortion amp.
>>
>>992926

MOSFETs can amplify analog signals. many stereo amps have FET output stages. so, one way to get your 230V sinewave would be to drive a step-up transformer from such a power amp.
>>
>>992930
While this is true, it's also worth noting that the huge majority of MOSFETs are meant for switching and are so switching-optimized that they even suffer from secondary breakdown and thermal runaway nowadays. So better be careful when using switching-optimized fets for analog stuff.
>>
i'm thinking about making an electric bike. can i skip getting a controller
>>
>>993060
Probably not...Though, if you are working ~48v or lower, find one of them shitty scooters at a swap meet. I have seen them between $20-110 but usually around $60

So I am modding a MacBook (Uni2008) to replace the rightsize of the keyboard with a Wacom graphics tablet. I'm still planning it but may have to do out with the DvD rom.Doing so will add s lot of extra room. Any Ideas on how I can neatly close the hole or something dank I can do here
>>
File: 1tekg.jpg (97 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1tekg.jpg
97 KB, 500x375
>>993103

And the fuzzy disk protector is removable.
>>
>>992667
Like the top right without the threading I take it? That's close to the same result as what I was planning, I was just hoping someone had seen an odd fitting for X or Y in their experiences that would be very close to what I needed.
>>
>>993103
Dude, that'll be awesome, please post the final product when you are done, in this thread or the next if it takes that long.
>>
>>993152
It will probably take months to finish. I want to get everything right. But I really want to finish before the next OSX comes out.
>>
How hard is to make a pulse oximeter?
>>
>>993187

pretty easy. already-built projects exist. the problem is calibration. for that you need a whole lab to do it.
>>
I want to make a wooden box with an almost invisible lid. What are my options? Where can I find different terms to Google?
>>
>>987601
Use a compressor to supply a venturi tube and channel the output through a furnace/ac filter as a substitute for a paint booth filter
>>
File: impact-sprinkler-head (1).jpg (192 KB, 842x562) Image search: [Google]
impact-sprinkler-head (1).jpg
192 KB, 842x562
i want to run 5 impact sprinklers to water my lawn because, come on, who doesnt love some tick tick tick tick tick ptttttttt and also theyre only 5 bucks at walmart.
however my spigot only makes enough pressure/throughput to drive 1 sprinkler powerfully or 2 sprinklers moderately. 3 or more and there isnt enough pressure to make the heads rotate and they just become shitty fountains that shoot 6 inches away. how can i boost my output to drive more sprinklers? btw im renting so no extensive permanent mods allowed unfortunately.
>>
>>993674
not a real cheap way to do it honestly.. unless you can boost the water pressure to your house somehow... if possible find another hose hookup on the other side of your house and run a long hose around to where you want the sprinklers...

if your determined to make it work and want to say damn the costs....

get a large pressure tank that will hold maybe a hundred gallons... hook it up to the spigot so that you can turn the spigot on to fill the tank.. have a pressure rated valve to isolate the tank from the fill tube... let tank fill about half way... then connect air compressor to tank... pressurize tank... run outflow from tank to sprinklers.... perhaps consider a regulator of some sort to provide steadier pressure to the sprinklers...
>>
>>993680
unfortunately there is only 1 spigot. the tank idea sounds partially doable, just expensive like you said. are there no accumulators/boosters similar to how a pressure washer works out there or something like that?
>>
>>993683
>are there no accumulators/boosters similar to how a pressure washer works out there or something like that?
What do you think he was describing?
>>
>>993686
a more self contained solution than a 100 gallon tank and air compressor
>>
>>993687
your problem isn't just low water pressure, using 6 sprinkler heads uses a lot of water and you only get a set amount per minute out of a wall faucet... the tank compressor thingy gets around that. if you hooked up some kind of inline compressor like a pressure washer it would not... you need an increase in both pressure and volume of water for those sprinkler heads to really work right...
>>
What is pic related?

I have one in my garage and one in my basement laundry room, I may have some more but haven't found them.
>>
>>993786
Ultrasonic pest control
>>
>>993796
Ah ok, never would have guessed that.

Thanks for the response.
>>
File: IMG_20160514_194357350.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1456) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160514_194357350.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1456
I bought a Yamaha CR 420 receiver at a swap meet recently. I've managed to clean it up and I tested it out with my headphones, and the radio seems to work fine. The only problems that I noticed so far with it are the fact that the lights in it are out, and the veneer at the top is warped.

The lamps required is 14V/80ma/4mm and I was thinking of possibly replacing them with LEDs. How would I go about doing this? I know it is possible, since I read about it on audiokarma, but there are no instructions to how it's done.

How do I fix the veneer?
>>
>>986990
What's a nice tablesaw I can get my father as a gift? Budget is $500
>>
File: 1462804180555.gif (3 MB, 240x274) Image search: [Google]
1462804180555.gif
3 MB, 240x274
>>993820
the quickest way would be to use a multimeter to measure current and a ~1K ohm potentiometer. turn the lights on the receiver and put the potentiometer set to 1k in series with the led. adjust the potentiometer until you get a brightness you like without exceeding the current limit on the led. take the potentiometer out of the circuit and measure the resistance - that's the series resistance you want to use, find a convenient value near that.
>>
File: IMG_20160515_130131.jpg (1 MB, 1456x2592) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160515_130131.jpg
1 MB, 1456x2592
I've run some ties down low, indicated with red line. Maybe I'll run a band outside at the top so it won't interfere with digging? My concern is that the frost will blow er apart.
>>
>>993832
You might be able to find a nice used Delta Unisaw for that price. Post the Criag's List for your area and I will have a look and see whats good.

>Nice table saw
If you want something new make sure it has a cast iron top (no aluminum), a decent fence (easy to move and lock into place, doesn't wiggle, stays at 90 degrees no matter what) and has at least a 2 horsepower motor. New motors have bogus HP ratings so something from 60 years ago rated 1 horse power would be like a 1.5 by todays standards.
>>
>>993820
I remember braiding my longass headphone cords

I even have the same Q701s too

The cord I braided was from my K81DJ
>>
File: 20160516_133107.jpg (2 MB, 2976x2976) Image search: [Google]
20160516_133107.jpg
2 MB, 2976x2976
Bought this slot cutting bit today to finish making a simple mirror frame I've been working on - fucked if I know how it works, is the threaded part supposed to be the shank?
>>
>>986990
I want to make something where the user can select between multiple inputs by pressing a button corresponding with the desired input, but when that button is pressed, only the input for the button pressed is selected until another button is pressed.

So if you have inputs 1-8, for example, pressing the button for input 1 turns off inputs 2-8, pressing 2 turns off inputs 1 and 3-8, etc.

I really want to do this without relays or programming but I can't figure out how.
>>
>>994090
Yes, the threaded part is the shank. It's designed to go in a milling machine. It can still be used in a drill or router, if that's what you're planning.
>>
Hey,

Does anyone from Canada know of any company that does laser cutting online, then mails the parts? I have a .dwg I want cut in 1/4" ply, just don't know where to get it done.
>>
Has anyone here replaced bearing(s) in a washing machine before? I'm about to take it apart and order the parts that I need but I'm not sure which parts I should look for to be damaged. Any help or advice appreciated, thanks
>>
>>994164
Which bearings? The ones in the motor or the ones for the tub?
>>
>>994113
Old pushbutton blenders worked exactly like this. Also, old car radios. They were called 'radio buttons'. Maybe look into that.
>>
>>994167
Pretty sure it would be for the tub. it's a top loader and just sounds horrible while spinning. I'm not sure what I would need to replace if it's only as simple as one bearing or if there are seals or other bearings etc
>>
>>994122

Sorry I should have been clearer, yes I will be using it in a router, the thread just seemed like bugger all for the collet to bite on to.

Cheers for answering
>>
I'm looking for cool projects that require some real world interaction. I'm into automating stuff. I'm looking around me but the only thing I can think about automating is vacuum cleaning. But I'm assuming programming a roomba is too far away from a single person's capabilities.

Am I mistaken?

Also, would I need C/C++ or I can go by with Python alone?
>>
>>994205
>programming a roomba is too far away from a single person's capabilities.

Roomba has a model which is made specifically for developers (i.e. tinkerers), so it's very easy to get started on that, given that they provide you with all you need to program them. (it's not cheap, tho, like all Roomba stuff. presumably they have patents that keep competitors away.)
http://www.irobot.com/About-iRobot/STEM/Create-2.aspx

as for languages, assembly is the best way to do robotics-type stuff, with C being 2nd best.
>>
>>994170
post the model # i do appliance repair, the answer varies pretty greatly depending on what kind of washer you have
>>
>>994439
also best case is its one or two bearings and a seal, worst case is the bearings are built into a gearcase and you can only get it as an assembly
>>
File: DS1102D.jpg (69 KB, 735x419) Image search: [Google]
DS1102D.jpg
69 KB, 735x419
is there any reason for a hobbyist to own an oscilloscope?
>>
>>994205
Roombas are not a great platform unless you have some kind of absolute positioning system. They're not designed to go straight, so any kind of strategy that's not bump-into-shit-and-turn-around is difficult.

>>994655
If you have to ask, then no.
>>
>>994429
Thanks. I'll stay the fuck away from assembly, as I value my sanity and C exists, though.

>>994664
I could always put an INS and GPS on it. What do you mean they're not meant to go straight?
>>
>>994697
Well I can't speak for the Create, but the Roombas I worked with would not move in straight lines. There was always a slight curve to the movement. Given their typical operating pattern, it's understandable.
>>
Hello, I'd like to know a way to "quick" prototyping without 3D Printer, I could do a mold then I put something in it to have my shape, but what is this something ? Resin ? Which one ? For which use ?
Thank u
>>
File: IMG_20160517_094041.jpg (205 KB, 780x1040) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160517_094041.jpg
205 KB, 780x1040
The housing on my controller has gotten loose and I'm wondering if I have any options to make it fit nicer without using super glue.
>>
What varnish would look good over wood and paint? And what kind of paint should I use?
I want to paint a design on a wooden wardrobe and leave bits of wood showing through unpainted to fit into the design
>>
>>994441
Sorry for late reply. Model number is IW509NZ, product code 92155. Would i need any grease or sealant for placing the new bearings back into the machine?
>>
>>995003
hmm I'm in the us and we don't get a ton of fisher paykel stuff over here, however their upright high efficiency washer design was bought by whirlpool and I've done a fuckton of those... I would make sure that you get the seal as well as the bearings... the bearings likely failed due to water leaking into them from a faulty seal, and either way the old one has to come off before you can get the top bearing out... you'll have an upper and lower bearing... the bearings themselves are prepacked with grease and sealed, the seal for this however probably needs some grease and glue... you could call fisher paykel, they give out tech support for free if your polite on the phone.. just give them your model and serial number and act like your a service company asking for help.. their parts service should give you the proper parts number for everything you'd need... on the whirlpool they have a very handy kit that pushes the bearings into place.. in the abscence of that I'd take a very carefull look at where the existing bearings are seated at before you remove them, then get the new bearings as close to that as possible. good luck bro.

also here... interesting reading if your curious
http://www.manualslib.com/manual/556089/Fisher-And-Paykel-Iw509.html
>>
>>994792
Screw it back together
>>
>>994205
I bought a remote control for my roomba several years ago (ebay I think) and it, like the roomba is in my closet not being used. The remote wasn't perfect and the roomba wasn't really worth the hassle to use for my home (the bin is really small and I'd have to clean it and the brushes after every use because of pet hair).
>>
Thanks, that helps a ton. i bought the specific bearings and seal i need off of a service company and they're being shipped now. Where would I glue and grease the seal? I'm guessing glue around the sides of the seal to stick to the tub and grease underneath?
>>
>>987601
Get some Nidec VA450DC fans
>>
Looking to buy patterned silk to fabricate some knife covers. I've seen some silk covers online and I thought they looked nice, wanted to try it on my own. Anyone know of a good place to purchase patterned silk? I'm also going to put together a leather knife case, will post results
>>
>>986990
anyone know how to get wd40 off of a metal surface. will alcohol work?
>>
>>995262
Yes, alcohol will work, but if you're going to the store to get some, you'll get better results with brake parts cleaner.
>>
File: 805687_1.jpg (35 KB, 630x420) Image search: [Google]
805687_1.jpg
35 KB, 630x420
>>986990

How do I make a shelf with recycled shit.

problem: I have a lot of books, I need to store them properly. I can't put a shelf on the wall because my house walls are shit and can't stand the weight.
>>
>>995332
By finding flat pieces of shit and screwing them together into a bookshelf shape or stacking shit together into a bookshelf shape.
>>
I've got an 200W asynchronous electric motor that I want to control the speed of. Is it possible to do so using a PWM module? I'm not very well versed in electronics.
>>
File: 1401921921384.jpg (182 KB, 635x479) Image search: [Google]
1401921921384.jpg
182 KB, 635x479
I recently got a free damaged HDPE plastic pond liner. It's got about a 5 inch vertical cut across the bottom edge. Every place online I've looked at says nothing bonds to HDPE. Does anyone know an easy method to patch this?

I've already tried:
>using two part epoxy and a rubber patch, lasted about a week before the epoxy melted (may have been old/improperly mixed)
>spray foam sealant, water dissolved a hole through the center
>tried heat welding but only worsened the cut into a crack, didn't have any good material to weld to
>Hot glued the crack and heat welded a plastic bag over it, slowed the leak to about 2 fl.oz an hour. Added roofing sealant over that and it appears to be holding for the moment
>>
>>995364
Try using flexseal
>>
I'm about to paint my particle board subfloors. I need suggestions so I don't fuck it up.
>>
>>995375
I think the roofing sealant I used in my last attempt is the traditional equivalent. I put it on extra thick and it rained hard yesterday so it only got about 20 hours to cure. I'll see how it does.
>>
File: P1020462.jpg (130 KB, 1200x901) Image search: [Google]
P1020462.jpg
130 KB, 1200x901
I want to set up some lighting for a display case as in http://www.j-junk.de/allgemeines/ikea-detolf-mit-leds-wireless-ultimate-version/ . The idea is that the LEDs touch a rail on either side for fewer wires and removable shelves. I won't be using any kind of bracketing like this guy did, so I want my contact to look as clean as possible. I was thinking I could jury rig something terrible with foil to act like a weak spring in a pinch, but I want it to look decent. What would you guys do? Battery terminals?
>>
File: cagemars.jpg (34 KB, 396x528) Image search: [Google]
cagemars.jpg
34 KB, 396x528
>>989033
>I have 28 of them
Have you considered that's probably 28 rats more than what a normal person would have?
Anyway, you could use ikea shelves and chicken wire if you want to go cheap.
You can put ramps and tubes to connect the shelves.

Do you keep those 28 rats in your house? Does your house has that unbearable "pet shop" smell?
>>
>>995376
Why ?
>>
>>992601
Buy welder, weld. That's really all there is to it. Also don't weld anything your life depends on, ie anything frame related on your car. That takes a lot of skill which you wont have for a long fucking time.
>>
I have a pic related, which is a radiometer that measures irradiance in power/defined area. It's supposed to be able to output to a chart recorder, it has a 2mm female port on it and some adapter that looks like you tie copper wire to it and then to a chart recorder. I don't have a chart recorder. Can't you use graphing calculators as data loggers?

Basically I need a data logger but I'm not sure what exactly. A voltage based one? I want one that can output to some computer file that I can put in excel.
>>
Infrared Paint

Where can you find this?

Making a bit of art in different spectrum, and I've heard you can get this usually as a spray, but haven't found where.
>>
File: sdfsdfsf.png (11 KB, 894x578) Image search: [Google]
sdfsdfsf.png
11 KB, 894x578
So my main monitor (a syncmaster 2253bw) has a pretty short stand and after having had a pile of books under it for half a year I decided I could do better

Well, maybe. Either way, I took one of my older displays and dismounted the stretchable stand off it. Screwholes line up perfectly like I thought they would but there's a big-ass bolt right in the center, which I hadn't accounted for ("pic" related)

So I guess I'll make a hole in the back of the cover, got a dremel I think but I ain't really used it before. Any tips before I fuck everything up?

Also, I don't have those lil' things you're supposed to use to remove the back plate, anything I could use that I probably do have around?
>>
>>986990
How do I become a tradesman? I live in oregon and would like to become an electrician, or perhaps boiler-maker or carpenter.
>>
>>995598
Scratch your plan
Just add a piece of wood with a hole in it between the stand and the monitor and use longer screws. Then nothing gets fucked up.

>it is probably too late to save it.
>>
>>995622
no it's 8am I ain't started yet

Good Idea, I'll go see if I have the right screws around
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 62

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.