[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Vibration deadening materials? I'm trying to make a mount
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4
File: doge.jpg (227 KB, 1024x868) Image search: [Google]
doge.jpg
227 KB, 1024x868
Vibration deadening materials? I'm trying to make a mount for my motorcycle, to mount my cellphone in the center above my headlight, so I can run my GPS. problem is, my bike has lots of vibration going on. and it slowly moves the mount around and such, and causes the phone to bounce in the mount making a noise.

Anyone have a good idea on how to retard the vibrations going through the phone mount? I also need some for the gastank. as the little rubber boot thats on there now, ain't doing shit, and when the tank gets like 1/4 empty, i get some really annoying harmonic vibrations goin on.

>parallel twin problems.
>>
File: vibration isolator.jpg (139 KB, 1677x945) Image search: [Google]
vibration isolator.jpg
139 KB, 1677x945
Twisted wire cable makes superb vibration-isolating material.
>>
>>986987
I don't think this will be sturdy enough..
>>
File: sturdy enough yet?.jpg (233 KB, 1080x720) Image search: [Google]
sturdy enough yet?.jpg
233 KB, 1080x720
>>987031
It is. And if it isn't, you can always make it sturdier.

Also, vibration isolation and "sturdiness" in the form of rigidness are fundamentally-conflicting goals. You DO realize this, right?
>>
>>987035
I love you anon, this is what I would have said, had I your eloquence
>>
>>987035
>fundamentally-conflicting goals

Not exactly, it depends on the amount of vibration, something like that on a car or motorbike may be good but put it on the handles of a jack-hammer and it won't do shit because the vibrations it was designed to absorb aren't meant to be that strong, hence, it's not sturdy enough.

I'm not disagreeing with you in the fact that it's the right/wrong thing to use, as I don't know what it's rated for, but saying that sturdiness isn't a factor because you're trying to absorb vibrations is stupid, if that were the case you could put bicycle suspension in a car because "they are both meant to absorb shocks and sturdiness doesn't matter"
>>
File: Resonance.png (73 KB, 3249x2351) Image search: [Google]
Resonance.png
73 KB, 3249x2351
>>987100
>Not exactly, it depends on the amount of vibration, something like that on a car or motorbike may be good but put it on the handles of a jack-hammer and it won't do shit because the vibrations it was designed to absorb aren't meant to be that strong, hence, it's not sturdy enough.
What you want is isolation, not "absorption..."
>if that were the case you could put bicycle suspension in a car because "they are both meant to absorb shocks and sturdiness doesn't matter"
Trust me, a 1/8" steel cable rated for 2000 pounds isn't going to break under the loads imposed by your phone.
And yeah, obviously you'll need to make it stiff enough to not bottom out as you ride over bumps and such. And that's entirely doable, by using thicker cable or adding more loops/coils. But don't make it stiffer than necessary, or else you'll be transferring more vibrations than necessary into the phone.
>>
You sound poor
>>
>>986963
>Vibration deadening materials? ...
The only [solid] vibration-absorbing material I've ever heard of is called Sorbothane. It is a urethane that is specifically formulated to attenuate mechanical vibrations.

If you had a piece to experiment with, you would probably say it's no big deal, it feels just like regular soft urethane--but if you do side-by-side comparisons you usually find that it does attenuate vibrations about twice as well as anything else you will find.

You can buy pieces of it at McMaster-Carr. It is kinda expensive (for sheet rubber) but all you need is a thin layer 1/16" or 1/8" thick, thicker layers don't work better. And for something like a phone mount, you only need three or four "feet" maybe 1-inch square. The load must rest on those pads, and be free to vibrate otherwise.

Sorbothane also works well as a sound-deadening material, if you place it between two sheets of thin sheet metal--but even so, it won't perform miracles. It will just transmit less noise than any other rubber material would.

If you want something better than Sorbothane then you need to use fluid-dampening.
>>
>>987162
>>987107

The problem I'm having here, is I bought a mount that was suppose to be vibration rated. like for Harleys and shit. I got it, mounted it, stuck my phone in it, didn't really work that great. so I of course returned it.

then today I tried to mount it to the top of my gas-tank. worked okay, but the vibrations where causing the screen to shut off because the button in the back of the phone. and still caused it making noises. even more on top of the gas tank. + I can't use a tank mounted bag.
>>
>>987898
People already gave you two solutions. As you can see in >>987035, the cable thing obviously works since sin'ce it used in making moving pictures.

You say you're having problems with the phone rattling in the case and switching the screen on and off. Is the phone free to move around in the case? It shouldn't be like this.

How old is the bike? Have you tried replacing the boots? Is the tank installed properly (boots in their places, screw tightened to specified torque)? Are you totally sure it's the tank itself vibrating and not some nearby cables, the gas tank cap or just some loose fastener. I've owned three bikes and not in a single one did the tank vibrate audibly. Sure, it shifts after a firm push but it doesn't rattle, it has at least three mounting points with rubber dampening.

Last but not least: why the fuck do you need your phone in your visual field while driving? These things literally tell you where to go. Jusy put it in you jacket and use headphones like every sane person does.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.