[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wifi
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6
File: download (4).png (3 KB, 280x180) Image search: [Google]
download (4).png
3 KB, 280x180
OK diy WiFi question:

I'm a TWC customer with the 300 mbps package on a netgear nighthawk.

What's the best method for sending a signal over 300 ft?
>>
>>986953
No way in hell you're going to get the 5Ghz band to travel 300 feet.
>>
>>986955
Even with a parabolic antenna or directional antenna?
>>
>>986959
How many walls will the signal have to go through?
>>
>>986961
Two brick walls. House A has the modem/router, the back of house B is about 300 feet away.
>>
>>986962
You could certainly try it with a directional antenna. I don't think the built in beamforming will be enough to get it all focused in one direction.

You're going to need an equally powerful transmitter in house B in order to bridge the link, and I doubt you will get 300Mbps.
>>
>>986955
Sure you can. I've gone over a mile no problem with a Ubiquiti wifi bridge, and that was with a dish on only one end.
>>
>>986968
I meant with the Nighthawk. It doesn't have as much power as the airmax
>>
>>986971
The nighthawk has 9dbi so what would I need? We're currently using range repeaters but soooo much speed is lost with router to extender communication
>>
>>986972
you're probably gonna need something like the ubiquiti in >>986968
>>
>>986972
Ditch the stupid repeaters and give house B it's own access point, and set up a proper bridge between the two. Ethernet or wireless, your call - but do it right.
>>
>>986982
That's the plan, but we're trying to figure out the best way to do it wirelessly. Would a Ubiquiti point/bridge do the trick?
>>
File: wireless network bridge.jpg (89 KB, 1000x773) Image search: [Google]
wireless network bridge.jpg
89 KB, 1000x773
>>986991
>we're trying to figure out the best way to do it wirelessly.
Pic related is the best way. Every time a single radio repeats, its throughput is cut in half, so it's best to have different radios on different channels for each hop.
>Would a Ubiquiti point/bridge do the trick?
Sure, easily.

Do you have many neighbors nearby that you might interfere with or that might interfere with you? The fact that you're going to be occupying different channels means it's a good idea to be extra-careful about interference. I've seen cases where people have poorly-set-up networks in congested areas and it just turns into an arms race of who's radios can scream the loudest.
>>
>>987018
>Do you have many neighbors nearby that you might interfere with or that might interfere with you?

No the plan is to get wifi to our only neighbor. Are two antennas necessary?
>>
https://rchelimenace.wordpress.com/how-to-build-your-own-windsurfer-antenna/
>>
File: 1440550636257.jpg (86 KB, 560x749) Image search: [Google]
1440550636257.jpg
86 KB, 560x749
>>
File: 1446555588637.jpg (125 KB, 792x593) Image search: [Google]
1446555588637.jpg
125 KB, 792x593
>>
>>987134
>Are two antennas necessary?
You mean two dishes/directionals? No, not at 300 feet. Like I said, I managed to make a bridge work out to a mile using a dish on one end and a low-gain omnidirectional on the other. At 300 ft with some potent radios you could probably even get it to work without any dishes at all, using just omnidirectionals (the omnidirectional-only Picostation claims to have 500 m range, for example). The dishes do increase sensitivity though, meaning that the bridge can be made over longer distances, or using less power, or just made to be more robust and interference-resistant.

Another cheaper kinda-shortcut option you could use is to have only a single outdoor directional/dish access point mounted on House A and pointed at House B, which devices in House B could connect to directly. It's kinda hackish and 300 feet might be pushing it for this approach (especially if you're complying with EIRP limits) but it might be worth a try. Keep in mind though, whatever your final access point will have to be compatible with whatever devices you want to use in House B.
>>
>>986955
http://www.engineeringradio.us/blog/2016/03/studio-buildout-part-ii/#comments
>>
File: 1462077453661.webm (3 MB, 400x332) Image search: [Google]
1462077453661.webm
3 MB, 400x332
>>
>>986953
For 300ft line of sight, you could use 2 woktennas and it would work. Through 2 brick walls, no chance.

Get both ends out of the house and line of sight and you are fine 9dbi will be Ok. Just be careful with the cable from the Shitehawk that it isn't a multiple of the frequency otherwise you'll be luck to get 50ft at bugger all speed. Standing Waves.
>>
I can pick up my grandparents WiFi and they're over 2000ft away and it works c:
>>
>>986955
Build a 300 ft long waveguide.
>>
>>987482
>no ground for the coaxial cable
Triggered
>>
>>989180
The feed point is what I would call vhf grade. I'd give them a 3/10.
>>
File: 0b71bab2ca7da400fe0a250124f376f3.jpg (699 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
0b71bab2ca7da400fe0a250124f376f3.jpg
699 KB, 1920x1080
The cheapest way to do network sharing is not to use wifi. It's actually tons cheaper to do Ethernet over Powerline. Sometimes the houses have some connecting wire, and you don't have to do anything but plug them in (one at each house) connect it to the internet and done. If that don't work, it's loads cheaper to just buy a 300 foot outdoor (orange and black) power extension cord, and just run it out to them. Or hell, if you have a shed, set it up out there, and then run a cheap router. That auta work. But hey, I'm only a guy on the internet. I shared mine with the extension cord method with my father-in-law's house, and on his end, I just hooked up a cheapy $10 wifi router I got for his phone, and a nearly 10 year old laptop he uses for looking up the weather and email. He didn't want to pay for internet, (old fogy) and he kept coming over to use mine. This solved everything, and the powerline adapters were $30 each, had the extension cord, and I used a router that I got at a flea market. DONE. You are welcome good sir. You can inbox me my payment of 12 internets as soon as you can to the address I provided previously.
>>
>>989304
>It's actually tons cheaper to do Ethernet over Powerline. Sometimes the houses have some connecting wire, and you don't have to do anything but plug them in (one at each house) connect it to the internet and done. If that don't work, it's loads cheaper to just buy a 300 foot outdoor (orange and black) power extension cord, and just run it out to them.
At that point, why the fuck wouldn't you just run an outdoor ethernet cable instead? It'd be many times faster, more reliable (because ethernet cables are actually designed to carry data, with eight different conductors in twisted pairs and all that jazz), and cheaper.

But anyways, OP already said he wants to do it wirelessly in >>986991
>>
>>986953

Dunno if a cantenna would be enough

You might want to try with a directtv antenna+cantenna on the arm

I heard some guys could get a signal going for 50km with that
>>
>>987482

Whats the material of the bowtie-looking piece? bronze? copper?

Also is there a name for this thing? like for example the waverider foil antenna
>>
>>989315

I was thinking the same, I mean if you're using an existing electrical connection sure, but use an extension and on top of that the adapters?

Just use ethernet, the cable might be more expensive but not as expensive as the whole package for the other thing
>>
https://www.ubnt.com/airmax/nanostationm/

/thread
>>
>>989431
Samefag here...

They have a 5GHz variation you can use. They are fairly simple to set up, just turn the db output down so you don't fry the radios. You can find them on Amazon for about 80 bucks each if I recall.

Source: 4years installing these fuckers as a wireless internet technician.
>>
>>989338
That would be a material called "coat hanger"
>>
>>986965
>beamforming
more like semi-random radiation pattern mangling
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.