[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Septic tank
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: SepticTank_20Detail.jpg (142 KB, 773x513) Image search: [Google]
SepticTank_20Detail.jpg
142 KB, 773x513
Hey /diy/, I am perhaps a dumbass. I'm at peace with that fact, but I still need some advice.

I'm renting a small house with a septic system, and my waste water is no longer draining well. My landlord failed to mention that the house was not on the sewer grid (and I failed to ask), so I did the unthinkable: I flushed maybe 5 baby wipes, certainly no more than 10.

The house seems to actually be downhill from the tank, and my circuit breaker box has a switch labeled "Pump: NEVER TURN OFF" so I am assuming this is for the sewage.

What can I do to resolve this problem? How can I tell where along the line the blockage is? Should I expect to be stuck paying someone to suck the tank out, or is there a chance I can clear this blockage on my own?

Any advice would be awesome, money is kinda tight and I need to resolve this before I move out in a few weeks. Thanks folks!
>>
You're not supposed to flush that shit down the toilet anyway. Pay someone to snake the line out, not pump out the septic tank.
No idea what you're talking about with a pump.. unless there's a sump pump somewhere. You sure you know what a septic tank is?
>>
>>986377
I'm asking for advice because I have very little knowledge of septic systems.

There is (what I believe to be) a recessed pump with a cover outside the house, next to the bathroom. I assume this is a sump pump, but again, I don't know.

Does a standard sump pump have a filter that would catch wipes? I might go buy one of those snake auger things if a pump would normally catch something like a wipe. Amusing the pump outside is what I think it is, there cant be more than 15 feet of pipe between the toilet and the pump.
>>
>>986383
>very little knowledge of septic systems

There are numerous variations on septic system design. Without knowing the setup, it's difficult to tell what might be the problem or where to start looking.

My pump system has a pump downstream of the septic tank, pumping the septic tank effluent UP to a drain field on higher ground. But your system might be different, having a sewage sump and pump to push raw sewage (including solids) uphill to the tank. If you have this, it is very possible that the pump may be clogged or damaged.

>I'm renting a small house

Then it's your landlord's problem, not yours. Unless you know what you are doing (and in some jurisdictions have the appropriate license), don't screw with it.
>>
>>986393
Alrighty, thanks for the input.
>>
>>986376
>typical septic tank
Where's the tree root starting to grow in through the pipe?
>>
>>986376
Hey Anon,

It sounds like you have a STEP (Septic Tank Effluent Pump) system

Sewage drains into the tank, your effluent pump shoots it out somewhere. Probably into the town sewer system.

If you think wipes are in the tank, you should probably get the pump truck out to empty the shit sludge.

Most effluent pumps can pass small rocks, but I don't think they will handle the cloth like materials.

If you are lucky, the cloths will not have crossed the baffle and into the effluent side of the tank. So, if you empty the shit/sludge side, you will get rid of the wipes.

If (once the evidence is gone) the problems continue, call landlord.
>>
>>986377
>No idea what you're talking about with a pump
Is probably a lift pump.
>>
>>986446
Good info, thanks for posting
>>
>>986383
I don't know much about septic tanks, these other guys sound like they know more.

But I figure I'll throw in one statement, a sump pump is not for sewage, it is basically a pump which gets rid of water that seeps into a basement or yard from flooding or groundwater.

So if you are talking with a person to fix it, don't say sump pump thinking you are talking about a pump connected to the tank. You'll sound silly.
>>
File: PipelinersCutOut_2600-350.jpg (20 KB, 350x483) Image search: [Google]
PipelinersCutOut_2600-350.jpg
20 KB, 350x483
>>986377
If the tank is as OP suggested and up hill of the property there's a strong chance there will be a macerator pump in the system.
>>
>>986376
This is the landlord's problem, not yours.
>>
>>986393
>>986878
Since he's the one who causes the problem he's the one whose responsible for it. He can have the landlord fix it for him but he has the pay the landlords bill. He can try to fix it himself but he's responsible for any extra damages he causes trying to fix it. Even if he abandons the house the landlord can send him a bill and if he doesn't pay it the landlord can start garnishing his wages until the bill is paid. That is if this is in the US. I know this from years of renting to idiots who flush random stuff down the toilet.
>>
>>987198
Depends on what clogged the system. If it's normal stuff* like toilet paper, then clearing a clog is normal maintenance or a sign the pump is dying. That's the landlord's problem. If the landlord told him not to flush certain things because it's a pump system and he did, he pays.

*Things you would expect to flush down a typical sewer. Not dragon dildos.
>>
>>986376
Septic systems expert here: You probably caused a clog that can only be cleaned by an operator with the proper equipment. Here is such an operator in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2M7gby5yqTQ
>>
>>986376
Here Is what is legal UnDer US law.
Call landlord. Tell him sewage is backed up, no need to mention why. Especially since 10 baby wipes are nothingoing.
He will fix it on no cost to you.
>>
>>987949
>cleaned by an operator with the proper equipment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPxiXGr9nFM
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.