[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Arcade Troubleshooting help
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: arc.jpg (447 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
arc.jpg
447 KB, 768x1024
So here is the story

I've had a NBA JAM 1991 Arcade cab in my garage for a while and tried to do some fixes without luck.

The former owner said the machine made a popping noise while playing, and smoke came out of the back. When I came to check it, the monitor didn't do jack, only the sound worked. I've replaced fuses, checked the voltage going to the daughterboard and even replaced the flyback but nothing helps.

The daughterboard for the monitor is a Wells Gardner K7000 for those interested, and the whole thing is impossible to do easy maintenance on, as there is almost no room for troubleshooting.

Anyone have any ideas?
>>
Throw it in the garbage
>>
>>986361
/vr would have more expertise here. They have two or three guys that actually do this professionally, and they probably have a general thread for this. We only have one guy, and I think he's just one of the guys from /vr
>>
>>986384
Not true, there are a few more of us.

>>986361
Were any of the fuses blown? Sound is a good sign, but smoke not so much. Check all the components and cabling for charring / scorch marks or post some photos up here. Have you checked all the power rail voltages?
>>
"just" some capacitor has died, i think... easy and cheap to repair but it maybe has 3467 caps
>>
>>986390
A fuse was blown on the daughterboard, but other than that no.

Watched over the cabling and component, none of them looks blown or burnt out except the flyback, but I replaced that.

The board seems to have been tampered with before, so I'm unsure if it's worth it.

Haven't checked all the power rails no, will try.

I'll see if I can get some more photos
>>
>>986476
>The board seems to have been tampered with before, so I'm unsure if it's worth it.
Bear in mind that arcade PCBs were made in such small quantities it wasn't unusual for them to ship with bodge-wire fixes.
>>
>>986361
I had a wells gardner monitor in my arcade cabinet.

I replaced the flyback, did a recap, and replaced the transistors.
It still blew fuses and I never did get it working.

I bought the cabinet for MAME, so I just swapped it out for an LCD. Ive heard that they are hard to fix when then start fucking up
>>
>>986411
>capacitor
This, op. A pop and smoke sounds universally like a capacitor biting the dust. Look for an exploded or missing cap. If the capacitors don't have that cut pattern on top, they like to explode when they go bad.
>>
why did arcades die
>>
>>986836

Because you touch yourself at night.
>>
>>986361
Just refurbish. Utilizing the control pad and a raspberry Pi you could make another system out of it
>>
>>986836
Oversaturation of a market that was about to become stagnant with the rise of home video game systems. Also the death of "kid spaces" at the end of the eighties, where kid-only venues like roller rinks or arcades were forced to become family-focused and bright instead of the dingy holes of the true arcades, couldn't have helped.
>>
>>986823
Thing is, I never saw a bad cap on the daughterboard, they all seemed fine.

>>986859
I would, but I really want the monitor to work first so I can, you know, see the game
>>
File: 1462051595223.png (165 KB, 980x904) Image search: [Google]
1462051595223.png
165 KB, 980x904
>>986879
just a get a new monitor
>>
>>986836
The same reason that Malls and Bowling Alleys have died.

Im 25

Come maybe second or third grade everyone at school was on AIM and Myspace all night long every school night. Around that time Xbox live got huge, and I know WOW got huge (i never played but knew people who did)

Its actually hard to describe the amount of time I would sit on the family computer, or wait for someone to get done watching TV to play xbox.

When I did get my license, we would just go to this one kids house because his parents were lax and let us do whatever the fuck we wanted. And that was usually just sit on AIM and talk to girls, or get everyones xboxs in the same room to play Halo or whatever.

The big group of 15 or so people that I would socialize with had every demographic from smart kids, to burnouts, to sports jocks. Everybody did it because it was fun and accessible way to socialize outside of your normal extra curricular activity. It became the main socialization outside of school for a lot of us.

I mean we did go bowl, or go to the arcade, or play pool sometimes, but it was a lot harder to organize people to do it so most would never show up and you would end up spending all of your disposable cash.
Its not like we had cell phones, we had Myspace Bulletins which everyone ignored.

Now think of all the 15 year olds who have known nothing else other than facebook on their smartphones, and having a PC or consoles that seamlessly play multiplayer games that are vastly superior to any arcade game.

The same reasons people my age quit going to arcades are the same reasons young kids would never go to them. I mean nobody goes to the mall to pay a huge markup on a pair of sneakers anymore, they order that shit from their phone on amazon.

Barcades are out there for people in their 30s who grew up in arcades, but if you are the type to want to go back to the arcade, youd probably rather just get drunk at a friends house and watch a movie.
>>
>>986361
I used to be an arcade game tech back in a former life.

When you replace flyback transformers, you MUST replace the horizontal output transistor, too, or you'll probably fry the new flyback, since the transistor probably shorted when the flyback went. You also need to check the driver transistor for the horiz. output transistor in case it went, too.
>>
>>986881
I'm cheap, and importing a new monitor + shipping costs like half my salary

>>987017
Well fuck me then. Is there a way to check if the flyback still works? With a multimeter or visual inspection or something
>>
>>986836
Paying 25 cents for a round of street fighter and playing with the local kids who get all in your face when they win VS buying the game and playing with people who rip their playstations out of the wall when you are about to win.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.