[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gold panning
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: pan.jpg (43 KB, 464x298) Image search: [Google]
pan.jpg
43 KB, 464x298
Thinking about getting into gold panning. Anyone here do it or know about it? I've done it a few times at a really introductory level and am looking for opinions on making it a (somewhat) full-time thing.

Pros:
- Equipment to get started costs very little (~$20?)
- Equipment for more serious panning is still cheap (~$60?)
- Gold prices are extremely high
- Get to be outdoors all day
- It's fairly easy
- I'm an absurdly patient person so this kind of thing suits me
- Might get lucky and find that big nugget

Cons:
- Have to go through a moderate amount of red tape (prospecting rights, etc)
- Has the majority of the gold already been found at this point?
- Realistically, probably going to end up averaging $0.01 hourly wage

What's /diy/'s opinion?
>>
>>986354
1) Tragedy of the Commons. If it's possible to make money doing something, and that something has a very low barrier to entry, then more and more people will do it, until it's no-longer possible to make money doing it. See also Mechanical Turk.

2) The gold you're planning on panning for doesn't belong to you: it belongs to whoever owns the land, whether they're a private individual or the government. You can't just up-and-take it, any more than you can go panning for apples or panning for CCTV cameras.
>>
>>986381
>You can't just up-and-take it
You can if you get the prospecting rights. It varies by state but you usually just have to make a trip to the BLM and pay a fee.
>>
>>986354
>making it a (somewhat) full-time thing
So standing in a creek shaking a plate for 8-12 hours a day is your idea of a good job?

If you really want to mine for loose gold, at least look into a sluice setup or something. Simply panning won't pan out in a financial sense. It's labor intensive and has very poor returns on your time.
>>
>>986397
>Simply panning won't pan out
I see what you did there
>>
>>986397
>standing in a creek shaking a plate for 8-12 hours a day is your idea of a good job
I mean, yeah, kind of... It doesn't get much more chill than that and it beats a cubicle.

The plan is actually something more like: pan a little, find some flakes, move to a new spot, pan a little, repeat... until you find a spot that has an relatively high concentration. Then come back to that spot and dig around, try to find something big. Maybe even bring a metal detector.

Does that sound more viable?
>>
>>986400
No. Not at all
>>
>>986470
You know what. I take it back.
If you got no one to look after, kids, elderly family, pets. Go for it. If you do man up and get a real job
>>
>>986394
Well then that's not up-and-taking it, is it.
>>
Working at MacDonalds would get you far more money
>>
Visit the Marshall state park, try panning for 'gold'. It sucks ass dude.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.