[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Jet Engine
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 7
File: 005A.jpg (189 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
005A.jpg
189 KB, 800x600
http://www.dallasonlineauctioncompany.com/cgi-bin/mnlist.cgi?doac38/category/AIRCRAFT-JET-ENGINE

what would you do with a cheap jet engine?

>it's polish
>>
Generate electrical power. Small engines like that can be used to power a small town.
>>
>>986011
Batmobile
>>
Nothing, because I would never be able to afford to run it.
>>
>>986011

invade chechnya
>>
>>986029
commie jet engines can use regular diesel fuel
>>
>>986011
How would you even run it without one of those massive compressor boxes to get it started?

I would build a jet boat obviously.
>>
File: 0.jpg (26 KB, 726x545) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
26 KB, 726x545
>>986035
that's why it's a waste of money. just buy the whole jet plane for $10,000

sky4buy.com/pzl-iskra-ts11-jet-fighter-trainer-311347523042/01949
>>
>>986017
This. You could easily rig one of these up to a generator and ship it as a container to Africa. Have a village pay to rent it monthly and watch the money roll in.
>>
>>986070
If you aren't doing combined cycle you're burning money.
>>
>>986011
use the pallet wood it came in, to reinforce my shipping container so I can put it underground, then sell the engine on craigslist for 100 bucks.
>>
>>986070
Jet engines have maintenance needs that are measured in dollars per second and up. Would be better to find an old army diesel truck, strip out the engine and upgrade it with gennie gear and whatever they use for multi-fuel diesels. With some grease and some flammable liquid it should chug along for years.
>>
File: 1461691467951.jpg (78 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1461691467951.jpg
78 KB, 500x500
>>986086
This guy gets it
>>
>>986011
Build something really stupid with it. Like a jet car, or like one of those bell flying platforms. Then sell it to some rich nut when I'm finished with it.
>>
>>986011
I'd leave it and find a better use for my money. Turbine engines are expensive to run, expensive to maintain, and an engine that was used heavily in the 1970s (shown in the maintenance records) is bound to be wrought with mechanical gremlins. With some of these engines, they require specific oil and hydraulic fluid, and many times they aren't produced anymore.

>>986035
That big thing protruding out forward of the inlet guide vanes is the electric starter. They're heavy and modern turbine engines (on fixed wing aircraft) use pneumatic starters, which run off of compressed bleed air from the APU.
>>
>>986011
Use it as the first stage of a rocket capable of putting a cubesat in orbit
>>
Use it to power a backyard Ferris Wheel.
>>
>>986011
>what would you do with a cheap jet engine?
Most dynamic-thrust military jet engines are way too big to easily play with at all. They will burn a half-gallon of fuel a minute just idling.

APUs (Auxiliary Power Units) are much more popular for hobbyists--but then--APUs often sell for just as much as huge fighter jet engines for that very reason.

And even APUs tend to gulp fuel for the power they make, compared to a normal motorcycle engine. APUs generally only have a single compression stage.
>>
>>986082
nig rigging a heat exchanger and a steam turbine can't be too hard no?
>>
>>986011
>Iskra
>9,80 kN
Those things weren't most reliable engines.
Source: I've spent my childhood under local airbase descent corridor.
>>
>>986842
This is the best solution. I know my university had a co-generation plant, using jet turbines, that supplemented electric from the grid. It generated electric power and then heated steam for the campus heating. A local prison used the same system.
>>
>>986070
>collect rent
>from people with no money
>and few electrical appliances
>and somehow make more money than you would have with a couple honda generators
Are you a democrat?
>>
>>986017
this is a jet engine, not a gas turbine, it's designed to push shit, not turn a shaft.
>>
>>986032
And very hard to get engine parts. Even soviet stuff will need parts after some runtime.
>>
Mount it to the front of a snow plow. Commies do it all the time
>>
>>990503
Depends on the type of jet engine. If it's a turboshaft engine, like used in helicopters, it can be used to turn a shaft.
>>
>polish
>jet engine

While the polaks might be stronk their engineering forte is pretty slim pickins.

Would probably run for about 5 minutes before the compressor blades are so warped they look like a child with terrible genes.

Not much use beyond heating your house for half hour in a bad winter.
>>
>>986011
Jetpack
>>
when I saw the picture on the catalog, I thought it was some giant dildo...
>>
>>990503
Not that hard to turn a turbojet into a turboshaft or otherwise. You'd just need to mess around with the turbine at the back so that the gasses put more of their momentum into driving the turbine.
>>
>>991399
>not hard
>just needs a power turbine and a high-rpm gearbox
>really easy to DIY
suuuure...

>>990587
nigger did you even read the rest of the sentence?
When one says gas turbine, he means turboshaft. Also, if you look up what a Iskra TS-11 is, you'll see a jet plane. It's a pure jet engine.
>>
>>992393
All you need to do is place a power turbine separate from the engine turning a generator (through a reduction gearbox). Lots of old jet engines are recycled for use in industrial/power generation settings.

The entire purpose of a turbine engine is to accelerate air. The only difference is how that air is used. A turboshaft is literally the exact same thing as a turbojet, but instead of accelerating the air to provide a reactionary force, a power turbine is attached to extract the energy for the purpose of turning a shaft.
>see J79 versus an LM1500
Same engine, different purpose.

It's not easy to DIY, but quit being so uppity.
>>
>>986011
>REMOVE FROM PREMISE
>>
Would it be possible to weaponise this thing?

e.g. mount it so the exhaust is facing forwards on the front of a heavy vehicle (tractor or maybe a semi truck cab), replace the rubber wheels with solid metal ones with serrations to prevent the carrier from being rolled backwards.

Then just drive around, park in front of what you want to destroy and throttle the jet engine up to melt it
>>
>>990506
Soviet engines are actually far more maintenance intensive and have much shorter life spans than their western counterparts.
>>
>>986028
Awesome
2nd'ed
>>
File: squirt.jpg (144 KB, 640x353) Image search: [Google]
squirt.jpg
144 KB, 640x353
>>986011
>jetboat
http://www.nyethermodynamics.com/squirt_1/
>>
>>994177

Oh shit. Really? Tell me how.
>>
>>994549
Cheap shit breaks easy. That being said, they have been known to run despite poor maintenance
>>
>>994174
jetfuelcantmeltsteelbeams
>It'd make a kickass snowblower tho
>>
>>986039
>tfw you can buy a Sukhoi SU-25 for $85K

no fucking way !
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.