[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /diy/, I'm building an AR-15 lower out of an 80% receiver
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 5
File: m16a1.jpg (531 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
m16a1.jpg
531 KB, 1024x768
Hey /diy/, I'm building an AR-15 lower out of an 80% receiver and need a few tools to do it.

First I need a drill press, I'd prefer to buy the cheapest one possible that will suit my needs as I have no other use for it. It needs to be able to drill through 7075 aluminum, the drill bits come with the kit so don't worry about those.

Second I need a router to finish it, also as cheap as possible while still being able to mill through 7075 aluminum, recommendations?

Thanks
>>
>>985940
Not sure if serious and just wanting a gun that isn't registered, or trolling, but the answer is at least a two parter. 1) If you use the cheapest tools, your results will look cheap. 2) Any drill press will handle the aluminum your talking about, haven't heard of using a router, though it might work; and to procure these el cheapo brand tools Google is your friend, friend.
>>
>>985940
You can rent tools these days, if you're going for cheapest method, look around at big hardware chain stores and see if they have the tools you need to rent, they can probably teach you how to use them too.
>>
>>985946
First, the US doesn't have gun registration, this is completely legal. Second, what would you recommend for cheapo tools?
>>
>>985948
Whatever on sale at home depot. I've had bad experience with flexing harbor freight drill presses
>>
>>985948
Registration no, but there is a record if you buy from an ffl, like it or not. It may take a while for them to track down where, when you bought, etc., but there is a record. Legality isn't even a concern, I'm not /k/, but I'm definitely pro2A. And if you can't find a buddy with at least a drill press and router (a mill would be WAY better), then whatever is on sale wherever.
>>
>>985955
Buying a firearm, building a firearm, selling a firearm, and selling a firearm you built all fall under different federal laws.
The laws are antiquated, extremely lax, and extremely strict all at the same time filled with loop holes.

OP doesnt have to register anything legally, as long as he never sells or gives away that gun to someone else. The people who sold him an 80% dont have to keep track of who they sold it to, and they dont have to have an FFL and arent subject to firearm taxes.

Will it stand in a court of law if he gets caught with the gun?
Probably not, because enforcement of law is just as fucked up and filled with loopholes to get around anything.

Its cool in theory, but OP is opening himself up to a large expensive court battle for having an unregistered illegal firearm.
>>
>>985973
What part of no registration don't you understand?
>>
>>985979
The part where you are bringing up FFL speak in a thread where it isnt relevant
>>
>>985980
And when was this
>>
>>985982
Actually, that wasn't OP it was me, and I was replying to his saying it's perfectly legal, which I know it is. In my first response I mentioned ffl's only because that's probably the number 2 reason guys get these 80% lowers (number one being cost): there is zero paperwork at the government level about anon having a gun. My point was that if you go through an ffl, there IS paperwork, even though it's not technically a registration or a license. Basically I asked OP if he's a tinfoil hat wearing, governmental conspiracy believing nut job. No disrespect, of course... And I still say find a buddy with a mill if you can.
>>
>>985940
This is blatantly /k/ shit, get the fuck off /diy/ faggot.
>>
>>985940
you dont need a drill press just use a regular drill and learn how to drill straight you not drilling through 4ft of material so its not very hard
finish it with hand files
hell you could do it with a hand powered drill like a bit and brace if you really wanted to aluminum is pretty soft
>>
>>985940
OP: Are you purchasing a jig kit as well, or are you just going to wing it off of YouTube videos?

I ask, because some kits are made so that you can do drill only, and don't need a router.

Cut slow, cut shallow, protect the outside with at least tape to prevent shavings from scratching the coating, and for fucks sake, use cutting fluid.
>>
>>986020
How is drilling a paperweight related to guns you faggot? That chunk of metal is worthless, and has nothing to do with a gun.
>>
>>986004
Calling bullshit on the cost issue bud.

You can get an anderson lower for $46.. but youre on paper..

80%'s where i live are anywhere betwen $40-65

Plus a drill press... plus a jig.. plus a router... plus a special end mill. suck a fart out of my dick with that cost talking point.

ive completed over 12 80's.. good luck with that learning curve nigga.. and im a machinist by trade. shits not easy like the youtube vids youve watched...
>>
>>986089
I will gladly concede your cost argument, my experience with ARs is... dated. Like, put my own together from a kit before a lot of guys on this site were out of diapers dated. From what I've heard I completely agree with the learning curve on machining as well, but OP seems adamant about doing this, that's why I kept going with the "friend with a mill" advice. Then again, for less than $50 hell, let him fuck up a few! Good luck OP!
>>
>>986101
I admire youre easygoing-ness to my ass hole post. Also not everyone has "a friend with a mill"... actually id venture to guess that less than 1% could say that they have that kind of friend..

Heres what I did. Bought a cheap ass jig.. made by "BTR"... made some risers to clear the rear stock/buffer lug and programmed in a router guide plate for the trigger pocket and a separate one for the rear shelf.

Protip: become a cnc machinist.. so you can make your own shit.
>>
>>986102
Post a home budget tier CNC that can cut aluminum. Go ahead, I dare you.
>>
File: imgres.jpg (7 KB, 235x214) Image search: [Google]
imgres.jpg
7 KB, 235x214
>>986109

250 plus shipping. does it all for you.

https://shop.ghostgunner.net/products/ghost-gunner
>>
>>986102
Hey, it's /diy/, and I honestly didn't know they were that cheap! Kind of makes me want to get one myself, except I've got a good lower already. And the type of competition I was in way back when had a lot of machinists, so I guess I take having access to machine tools for granted. Hope you're actually making some money doing what you're doing, but I have a gut feeling ARs aren't as lucrative as people think.
>>
File: ATF-e1308764697893[1].jpg (38 KB, 620x266) Image search: [Google]
ATF-e1308764697893[1].jpg
38 KB, 620x266
>>986115
>Milling out 80% receivers and selling them for a profit.

It's like you want the ATF PartyVan to stop at your house
>>
>>986119
Depending on the wording of the law, perhaps just a room...

A room that you rent, containing a machine like >>986113
Maybe two machines, actually. Clearly labeled.
One that will do the finishing job, one that will slice the 80% receiver in half and scribe END GUN VIOLENCE on both halves. The room costs $100 in cash to rent and includes a 100% not a gun 80%-complete receiver on the table between the two machines.

This isn't a machining facility, it's an art project and a political statement.
>>
>>986119
Why not? I hear Leavenworth is beautiful this time of year...
>>
>>986113
You're a fucking idiot.
>>
>>986126

but i have a FAL, and you do not.
>>
>>986115
>>986119
Great, now I need to lock my dog up in the garage the rest of the week. Thanks 4chan.
>>
>>986121
>One that will do the finishing job, one that will slice the 80% receiver in half
ATF has specific rules about what constitutes a destroyed receiver. By cutting it in half, it is still technically a receiver. ATF requires a minimum of 3 cuts fully through the receiver, All cutting must be done with a cutting torch having a tip of sufficient size to displace at least ¼ inch of material
>>
>>986128
Those machines are 1500$, without shipping.
>>
>>986119
I actually found someone who does this, and is a complete shill/prick/arrogant cunt about it too. been debating for a few weeks now if I should party V& his ass. I have people who hes sold too. who admit they bought finished 80's from him. one even bought a whole finished firearm, # free. from him.

at the same time. reporting him is just a dick move, and its not like I have anything to gain from doing so.
>>
>>986131
and a vertical enshu mill is 5-7k. and a SCAR or AUG is 2500. whats your point.
>>
>>986132
An ATF record. You think they won't watch a guy who knows people that manufacture firearms for illegal sale? The ATF has records on dogs, what makes you think you'll escape their FOV?
>>
>>986133
Plus, its made to finish lowers. I specifically said CNC Mills, not a one trick pony.
>>
>>986134
what the fuck are you even trying to say? this isn't /pol/ fuckface. also read again.
>>
>>986130
Sorry, 2 cuts, into 3 pieces. Although some full-giggle guns (Browning 1919, HK G3 and Stens), do require an additional cut.
>>
>>986136
>it's not like I have anything to gain
>I point out what you have to gain
>goes right over your microcephalic head
>>
>>986130
is a not-yet-finished receiver considered a receiver for the purposes of destroying it in a moneymaking sche... in a political statement? Either way, it sounds like a lark.
>>
>>986141
an 80% receiver is just a block of metal. They are sold as 80% complete because that is the maximum amount of work that can be done and the ATF will not yet consider it a firearm.

So you could dispose of an 80% receiver however you want.
>>
>>986141
That's why the magic 80% number. Not 100% sure, but I'll bet you the law reads something to the effect of - receivers manufactured to 80% complete or less shall not be considered a firearm. They don't have to have a manufacturer's ffl to sell them, guys get guns with no serial numbers, and Uncle doesn't know about it for when the insurrection happens. Well... I guess he does if he's following this thread now...
>>
>>986141
I guess you mean if it's like 85% or 90%? Then I guess you'd have to dispose of it like a firearm, eg two cuts or whatever it is like anon said.
>>
>>986143
about what I assumed.

So, one expensive automated milling machine, one cheap one. If I had more dedication to my random ideas I would pursue this.. but I totally wont.
>>
>>986075
Oh, for fuck's sake.

Just because it's not a thing-Federal-law-in-the-USA-considers-a-[firearm-as-a-legal-concept] doesn't mean it's a not a fucking gun.

If the ATF never existed, or you were doing this in Ukraine, or you weren't a snake-like two-faced bullshitter, there'd be no need for this ridiculous facade.
>>
>>986191
>>670504
>machining for gunsmithing,
Op wants to know how to into machining. Explicitly and clearly and he doesn't fuck around with like "I uh... need to remove some aluminum from... a paperweight." He just fucking asks.

Op is 9/10. For someone that has never into machining, he asked good questions that would be hard to google without knowing terminology, and has been polite. You're insane and YOU should fuck oiff.
>>
>>985940
OP, if you're drilling a lower to make a rifle rather than an AR pistol, you're better off just buying one.

Also, the worst part about drilling lowers is ALUMINUM SHARDS EVERYWHERE. I've seen garages where the aluminum is still on the floor and you best keep your shoes on.
>>
>>986075
>but discussing weapon-specific techniques/designs or the actual use of weapons is disallowed
Hurrdurr, this whole thread is about using a weapon specific technique to turn a nonfunctioning block of aluminum into a weapon you retard, you can dick around all you want, but /k/ is an entire board dedicated to talking about this quasi legal bullshit, so one again fuck off to /k/ and leave /diy/ out of your impending atf raids you fucking faggot.
>>
>>986265
>impending ATF raid
making your own guns is 100% legal. You don't even need to put a serial number on it.
>>
>>986277
>Until you try to sell these "Paperweights" you've milled.
>or you make one full auto.
>or until there is even a suspicion of doing either.

But that isnt even the point, the point is this bullshit post belongs on /k/ dumbass. Its on the fucking sticky to this board that this post is bullshit.
>>
>>986279
This
>>
>>986279
>>986301
This thread is explicitly in the fucking sticky that you can discuss milling technology in relation to weapons. Everyone else is interested in it. It's just you two faggots. This is like discussing blacksmithing in relation to knives. If one of you fucksticks made a knife, concealed it, and stabbed someone with it, you'd be in a world of hurt and made am illegal concealed weapon and be all sorts of fucked.

You cam do illegal things in your machine shop. No one is surprised by this. IP never said he was going to.

It's also not a fucking paper weight after op has dipped a single drill into it and turned it into am 81% lower. It's now a firearm and he can't sell it without a ffl transfer anymore.
>>
File: crazy-pills.jpg (53 KB, 580x329) Image search: [Google]
crazy-pills.jpg
53 KB, 580x329
>>986307
>No weapons. That goes to /k/ - Weapons
>but discussing weapon-specific techniques/designs or the actual use of weapons is disallowed

This isnt a general machining thread, or even a general 'how does make guns at home thread" which I could get behind, or even the theory behind how guns operate and the tolerances and the materials needed to make them. This is how to do one specific thing on one specific 80% ar lower, which is about as close as you can get to a weapon specific technique you fucking dipshit.
Again, if this board wan on /k/ not only would it be more applicable to the goddamn board and its users, OP would probably get more responses and more quality advice other than just "Rent a milling machine, check out youtube", because I can gaurantee you just about anyone who has an ar and browses /k/ has considered this shit.

Jeezus fucking christ use your goddamn heads before posting.
>>
>>985940
>drill press
A fudd meme. Get a mill. The drill press and router setup is for fudds with limited tool sets -- if you don't have ANY tools at all, you may as well get a mill so you can do these sorts of things properly and SAFELY.

All this said, why are you buying into shitty /k/ memes? Just get a real gun, or make one from a kit. There's plenty of guides online. Or just buy an AR off the shelf. Literally what is the point of this 80% lower nonsense? All you get out of it is a shitty badly milled lower. You still need literally every other piece of it, and you're not going to be making those yourself.
>>
>>986121
>a political statement.
Is the statement that the EAGLE LAND REVOLUTIONARY FREEDOM forces of your country are so inept that they can't arm themselves without kits they ordered from major commercial ventures?

Because every other bunch of would-be terrorists seems happy either buying ready-made G36s, or leafing through instructables.com for their altoids tin machine guns.
>>
>>986279
> He doesn't know under US law you can sell your unserialed firearms as long as you have no wish to do so when they're made

Also

> quasi legal

> never restricted by law, not a loophole, not something unintended

> quasi legal
>>
File: lawrencecornholebig[1].jpg (44 KB, 639x426) Image search: [Google]
lawrencecornholebig[1].jpg
44 KB, 639x426
>>986475
>One fuckup following the thin line around the law, or the slightest appearance of bad-faith: Federal Pound-me-in-the-ass Prison
Quasi-legal.
>>
>>986483
It's something like one a year, or 4 in 5 years. Even if you do one a year for 5 years that's enough to trip an ATF raid.

(Anon if you've already exceeded this number, the ATF is just waiting to see how dig of a hole you will dig before they hit you)
>>
>>986475
You cant prove a negative retard,
>But judge i had no intention of selling it when I made it, I just sold it later!!!
If the ATF even has a suspicion, raid.
you go around asking about it, raid
God forbid you make a joke to someone online or in person about your homemade firearm possibly going full auto, Raid.

But none of this matters, you want to argue gun law, go to /k/, you want advice about your weapon specific, really specific way of only making one gun an operational thing and not milling, tools, machining, theory or anything outside the scope of your "weapon specific technique" go to /k/ you gigantic fuck.
>>
>>986501

>ATF
I dunno they willingly let guns walk across the border. They're havent exactly proved to be competent all the time
>>
>>986509
No, they've proved to be just incompetent to think this shit is worth killing an entire family over. Dog included.
>>
>>986501
Another thing about it, is it's not even hard to get a serial number for your hobby guns and to sell those in most states. It's another like 5/year thing, but you can totally make guns as a hobby and sell them legit You give them a serial number and sell them through a dealer and it's fine. No need to sell ghost guns and get van'd.

(Don't take legal advice from 4chan kids!)
>>
Also Op is retarded for not just buying an ar lower for cheaper.
>>
>>985940
Only buy tools when you need them and when you do, buy good tools.
>>
>>986697
/thread
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.