[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Going off the grid
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 5
File: 1428728730597.jpg (69 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
1428728730597.jpg
69 KB, 512x384
Where do i start?
>>
Step 1: get off the computer.
>>
File: Kevin-Flynn-Tron-Legacy.jpg (115 KB, 314x437) Image search: [Google]
Kevin-Flynn-Tron-Legacy.jpg
115 KB, 314x437
Step 1: Get your Identity Disk
Step 2: Get a Light Runner, Light Cycles can't drive off grid
Step 3:???
Step 4: Profit, Program.
>>
>>990025

DISCLAIMER
Aight buddy, you're almost certainly going to die. If you don't dehydrate you'll starve or die of exposure. There is a very good chance that the way you have lived your life up to this point has left you completely unsuited to live in the wild or off the grid. That said, let's get to the real advice.

FITNESS
Start working out, like now. When you're off the grid every bit of power that you use to build your home and get you food/water is going to be man power. Make sure you have the strength and endurance to do what you need to. Being in good shape reduces your chance of getting injured if you falls or trip, which can be the difference between dying now and dying later.

PREPARATIONS
Remember; you don't just go off the grid, you fade off. Build your home a year in advance if you haven't already and go there every now and then. Make sure that you have everything you need to live comfortably. I guarantee that you'll forget something you'll need and it's better to know now rather than later. You'll also need food, water and sanitation, so make sure you have a plan and practice it. Every skill you don't already have you'll have to learn there, so hunt fish and learn how to grow food now. You'll also need to make your own textiles so make sure you know how to weave and sew.

That's where to start, and once you've done all that you'll know where to go.
>>
>>990251
In addendum to what this anon said: this channel has some pretty cool shit. Not sure of how realistic it is for your situation, but still interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAL3JXZSzSm8AlZyD3nQdBA/videos
>>
>>990255

That Anon here:

I love that guy, it's a great channel, but it's not instructional. You won't learn the skills you need from videos like this, but it'll definitely give you some ideas to explore while you're working up to live off the grid.
>>
Get rid of all your communication devices. Cancel phone, Internet, delete your email, cancel all your mail, move out of the city, cancel VISA, close your bank account, only use cash.
>>
>>990263
Slowly, if you do all this at once you'll raise eyebrows.
>>
>>990266
It will just look like a change of bank/providers.
>>
>>990025
why is this ever appealing to people?
>no medicine
>cant go to the store for a 50lb bag of corn to keep warm
>no shitposting
>>
>can't go off grid in my country without not owning a car
>legally required to be licensed and registered

This is the single largest obstacle to just abandoning all addresses, ids and my own identity in general. How can I live if it's so hard to travel. Unless I had everything I needed in one location but that's impossible.
>>
>>990042
DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN
DUNDUNDDUNDUNDUNDUNDUDN
DUNDUNUDNDUNDUNDUNDUNDUNDUNDUND

DUN
DUN
DUN
>>
>>990025
If you buy a piece of property to live on remember that you have to pay property tax.
>>
>>990283
>cant go to the store for a 50lb bag of corn to keep warm

wut?
>>
>>990296
yeah... a lot of people go to states that have no state property tax, and go live innawoods where there's no township or county to have one.

And you need some sort of income, eg. stocks and bonds or even a bank CD, to pay for things like salt and replacement tools and medical supplies.
also possibly replacement seed if your fields are trampled or something and you cant harvest enough to be seed corn.

OTOH, there are labor intensive but extra efficient systems, and you can support yourself on just a tiny plot of land. I think it goes from about 2 acres for a family of 4 down to something like 1/4 of an acre if you're bartering for staples like flour and feed corn for your animals.
so a part time job to pay taxes and water bill, and suburban farm.
>>
>>990027
Thats pretty hard Anon. I have a pocket computer called a smart phone. My addiction follows me every where.
>>
>>990335
That's because you're a weak shit.
>>
>>990330
>he doesn't know about corn stoves
Here in the US we make so much feed corn we burn it for fuel
>>
>>990025
If you need to ask you're not gonna make it.
>>
File: Info_Legend.jpg (80 KB, 638x419) Image search: [Google]
Info_Legend.jpg
80 KB, 638x419
>>990025
filedropper dot com slash info underscore 3
>>
Youtube. Kirsten dirksen
>>
>>990289
Don't renew insurance or your license after living out in the middle of nowhere. What are they gonna do, follow into the bush?
>>
Whyd my post get deleted? Kirsten Dirksens channel is great for off the grid living and tiny house movement stuff
>>
>>990385
Your post is fine, stop being a weenie on a grownup board
>>
File: tron9.jpg (16 KB, 343x331) Image search: [Google]
tron9.jpg
16 KB, 343x331
>>990042
>Light Cycles can't drive off grid
>>
>>990366
Doesn't it...pop?
>>
>>990545
Not if it's dry.
>>
>>990366
>dad wont do anything about cleaning up his hoarder shit
>rodent and possum problem
>keep me up at night
>buy 50lb bag of flint corn
>put it in the shed
>first day, they've ripped the bag open and spread it everywhere
>rodents have moved into the shed
>I can sleep now without the sound of them banging on the roof

effective for relocating unwanted rodents as well.
>>
>>990545
only about 2% of corn grown in america is for direct human consumption. the rest gets milled into flour, biofuel, animal feed, burnt for fuel. corn is very versatile. popcorn is only a very small niche strain of corn. it's bred for its low sugar content and high explosiveness. you cant just use any corn to make popcorn.

>I only know so much about grain because I am a mushroom bro.
>>
File: 1460091204303.jpg (138 KB, 1024x769) Image search: [Google]
1460091204303.jpg
138 KB, 1024x769
>this thread again
>>
I'm going to assume you mean free of utilities and wires.

Well it all costs money. How much depends on what you expect. The more you spend though the more you save if you do it up front. You will need batteries. You will need to understand the limitations and the chemistry of the battery you choose. Lead acid is the most common but suffers sulfation issues. The easiest to use, been around for a long time and 99% of solar, chargers and other stuff is designed around it.
The trick to getting lead acid to last is:
1. Shallow cycling. Pretty much dont use it. A deep cycle battery should never go below 50% and 50% should only be in the most dire of circumstances. 20% is better. 15% is best. Any less and it suffers under use issues. The best battery for longevity is a tubular flooded battery. Google sbs industries RE battery. 3250 cycles at 50% DOD. Its up around 8000 at 20%. Roughly 20 years. At 20 years it will be at 80% capacity. Still usable. You may even be able to use it for 30 years.

The best way to keep them healthy is as much power input as possible. Use a charge controller with current limits. Oversize a solar array so even in low light conditions its getting a hefty charge. Solar is the most reliable and universal off grid power producer. Its very easy to set up and any remote land has sun so its a go to for many. Even if you choose other sources, solar is something you want on hand or in storage in case of emergencies. The best overall for power production and price is hydro power. 24/7 365 if you have a year round water source. Anywhere from 2000-6000 if you DIY, less if you dont mind a really small system.
Dont bother with 12 volts unless you want a small back up system for radios and 12 volt DC appliances. It will limit the size of your system a LOT. Dont expect to be able to use or charge anything over 1500 watts. Thats the LIMIT because of the insane high amperage. 24 volts is better, 12 volts is a lot cheaper though.
continued.
>>
>>991014
48 volts is a lot more efficient and larger but you will be 100% reliant on a inverter, which will eventually break. Very few dc appliances exist on 48 volts. 24 volts is used on boats, most off grid houses and some automotive areas. Makes it more common. A lot of newer off grid homes use 48 volts for the large size but they tend to use more power and buy more solar or whatever to off set it. Long term, currently 48 volts is a poor choice because of selection. 24 volts is also touch safe. 50 volts is considered the max touch safe voltage, something a 48 volt bank will exceed.

switches, fuses and breakers are also cheaper at 24 volts.

Do everything DC that you can, which is pretty much fans, lights (led), refrigeration (expensive but mandatory, 24/7 refrigeration wears out inverters and uses a lot more power than dc) and pumps. A 12 volt system will have access to cheaper and more plentiful 12 volt products like coffee makers and blenders but they typically are of low quality (road pro yeck) and are a waste of time. Some exceptions. a few serious coffee makers and products exist like power hunt products which use larger cables and plugs for higher power.

If your a serious ham radio or general radio operator, I would have two systems. A 24 volt mains house system and a smaller 12 volt you can charge from the 24 volt if it gets to low.
More to come.
>>
Most higher quality solar equipment is dual voltage like dc freezers or fans. Those typically are of higher quality. The best dc freezer hands down is a sundanzer. Been at it longer than anyone and has a good reputation. Buy big, per cubic foot its cheaper than the smaller units. I spend 1500 on a 14.7 cubic foot freezer. The smaller one is 8 cubic foot would have been 1200. The power difference is negligible. It uses 800 watts a day at 90 degrees. Most of the time its 500-600. Some of that is when batteries are during float so its not cycling tha battery. You can also turn it up during the day and down at night but thats not very good for the compressor. A cool basement is best. Make it work the least, less power and wear and tear on the compressor. Upright refrigeration is....harder to find. Lots of chinese junk fridges sold by "eco" companies. Get either a danfoss compressor version like sundanzer or a japanese unit. They are efficient and reliable. Dont expect anything over 10 cubic feet unless you want to spend 3k on a sunfrost, which is VERY efficient for such a fuck huge fridge but expensive. Honestly for neckbeards like us, 10 cubic feet is fine. Lots of freezer space is good though for long term storage. I fiddles around with the math and idea of an underground walk in cooler or freezer. The ground is a constant 55-56 degrees so it would require less power. They sell plug and play DC refrigeration units designed for boats. You can build your own. I thought about using one to cool a 12 x 12 room for a lot of food storage or making a root cellar cooler to keep them even longer. high R value walls and floor underground and it would sip power in comparison to a walk in cooler above ground.
>>
>>991020
A 12 x 12 x 6 foot room with r19 walls underground would requires around 1200 watts at 100% efficiency which does not exist. Id say somewhere around 2000-2400 watts a day. A lot but you could really store some food.
>>
>>990913

Can someone tell me the imitation crab meat story?
>>
>>991073
3-4 years ago some guy came here asking how to obtain 1/3 ton of imitation crab meat for some kind of promotional event. Not much to tell, just a very strange topic/request.
>>
>>991024
You could easily generate that if you set up a waterwheel in a creek.
>>
>>990385
Not really. It makes it look appealing but is light on hardcore info on HOW to do it.

There are very, very few advantages to tiny houses and many disadvantages. It is easy and cheap to build more useful space. Tiny houses are best as accessories to proper dwellings where you want some privacy or to stash an annoying relative. If they are small enough to be considered a shed they can bypass local building codes.

Have a SPECIFIC situation in mind, then plan for an optimal solution to that problem.

If you DIY, the best option is frequently "large shop" with living quarters. Cheapest square footage in the US is a single-wide mobile home, a used office trailer (often very solidly built) or a pole building which makes a good shop. My retired Namvetbro had a pole building erected then HEAVILY insulated it himself and did a nice interior. Great airflow, cheap to heat with a wood stove, and a small window AC keeps it comfy in summer.
>>
>>991390
Well it also depends on how off the grid you're going. One of he largest advantages to small homes is that they don't take much to heat or cool, which is very important if you're living with limited power. You probably won't be spending much time in your home so it really doesn't make sense to build a big one, and if you're building it solo a smaller one is going to be less likely in fall down on your head. There are situations where you should build a small house rather than a big one.
>>
>>990894
you should poison the next batch, so the rodent problem has an Entlösung.
>>
>>991390
there is no recipe on how to do shit, because not only are there infinite ways people can survive, there's infinite types of land and environments

>light on how to do it
>all the videos are rife with detail on these peoples' lifestyles and how they maintain themselves

do you mean how do they make the initial jump? i imagine its 100% willpower
>>
>>991964

You also need to bring food and the ability to make food. Even if the Glorious Leader says that you can survive on pure willpower, most of us can't.
>>
>>992045
yeah and youll notice they all have differing techniques on how to sustain themselves. i said willpower is how they act on the initial decision
>>
According to: How to Disappear by Frank Ahearn

(1/3)

1. Stop Hanging Out Online

2. Track Down and Erase Your Records
If you want to be entirely undetectable, you will have to cancel every online account you have and delete all its evidence. But it won't be that simple. Like oily fingerprints, your internet presence is hard to wash away. A site called Web 2.0 Suicide Machine may help. It aids in wiping the web clean of digital identities, but even that is not entirely foolproof. After all, you can't control what your "friends" have copied from your profiles and/or posted on their own.

3. Throw Them Off Your Trail
Once you've erased your online presence you can disappear from the real world. Before you run off to start a new life, however, make sure that you start a fake one. Throwing off anyone that might be on your tracks is key. In order to do that, former skiptracer Ahearn suggests that you apply for apartments (making sure they run credit checks), sign up for an account at a local bank, apply for utility companies, and then never return to that town again.
>>
>>993617
(2/3)

4a. Don't Assume a Fake Identity
There's no reason to commit identity fraud anymore. Back in the day, con men like Ryan O'Neal's character in Paper Moon (above) used to peruse the cemetery for the grave of a child who had been born around the same time as them and, from there, obtain that poor soul's birth certificate and social security number.

4b. ...Create An Alias Instead
Computers and automated systems have made that method much more difficult. Go ahead and keep your own identity. If you have to, feel free to invent a nickname. We've always though that "Skippy" had a nice ring to it.

5. Forget Your Hobbies
As you hop from place to place, identity to identity, be careful not to engage in your old hobbies. If you were a die-hard fly-fisher, an expert potter, or even a diligent poet, you will have to stop once you make the decision to leave society in the dust. Any remnant of the old life that you left behind may be traced to your new identity. Any evidence of your hobbies should be anonymously donated to the Goodwill, Salvation Army, or other second hand store.

6. Don't Worry About Your Looks
With all this talk about changing your identity, we bet you've started considering growing a beard or getting serious plastic surgery. Stop it. Unless you regularly appear in the news, you have no need to worry about anyone recognizing you, Beyond Weird's online manifesto "100 Ways To Disappear and Live Free" asserts. In fact, medical records of plastic surgery procedures might be another way you could be traced.
>>
>>993618
(3/3)

7. Cash For Clunkers
Once you've successfully ditched your old life, you'll need to trade vehicles. And sorry, that doesn't mean you get a new Audi from the dealer. Beyond Weird's guide to disappearing suggests that after selling your original car to a private buyer for cash (yes, that might mean you don't get the original Blue Book value), you buy a replacement car, also with cash. If you can, try to buy an entirely different car than you had previously. If you were an SUV kind of guy then get ready to invest in a tiny Miata.

8. Say Bye Bye to Your iPhone
A phone bill is a great way to get yourself traced. So say goodbye to your precious iPhone and learn to love a small, prepaid flip phone. Well, technically learn to love many of them. LiveSafely.org recommends using either multiple prepaid anonymous cell phones or prepaid phone cards ・but good luck finding a phone booth to use them at.

9. Use Mail Drops
Though snail mail is pretty much obsolete these days, mail drops are invaluable to the man or woman on the run. Livesafely.org suggests using the mail forwarding service Earth Class Mail, which offers their customers multiple addresses to which they can forward mail. The multiple drop spots will confuse anyone attempting to track down your whereabouts. Even if you aren't on the run this service can be used to avoid those multiple J. Crew catalogs that seem to find you wherever you go.

Plus additional books:
Practical Lock Picking: A Physical Penetration Tester's Training Guide [Paperback]
Deviant Ollam (Author)
The Anarchist Cookbook [Paperback]
William Powell
The Art of Deception: Controlling the Human Element of Security [Paperback]
Kevin D. Mitnick (Author), William L. Simon (Author), Steve Wozniak (Foreword)
Liespotting: Proven Techniques to Detect Deception [Paperback]
Pamela Meyer (Author)
>>
>>990366
I know this is kind of a meme, but it's turned into ethanol and blended with gasoline to lower the octane rating. Some places make a diesel equivalent with it.

They started adding poison to ethanol in refineries, cause back in the day people would go out and have themselves a glass. Only enough that it makes you throw up.
>>
>>991016
To expand on what this anon said, buck converters can change a higher dc voltage to a lower one. There is some loss, but if you just need to power a few 12v things occasionally on a 24 or 48v system, its cheaper than adding a different voltage
http://www.gainbridge.com.cn/h-pd-216.html
>>
>>994138
there are many other additives to ethanol that are toxic. they are added to mitigate the tendency of ethanol's potential to royally ruin engines by introducing water into the cavities. among other things
>>
>>990289
Get a horse or some small vehicle. You can put fake plates on it but keep far from big towns or cities with it to avoid trouble
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.