[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
so... i want to build a cooling table for my laptop. I live in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
so... i want to build a cooling table for my laptop. I live in a tropical country and the standard cooling tables do not even come near to get the job done... so i have this two ideas but i don't know if they make sense...Could someone help me?
Sorry about my bad english
>>
>>985373
the other one
>>
these are pretty stupid. to cool something, you either blow cool air onto it or suck hot air away from it. you have it so the air moves parallel to the hot surface so as to cause virtually no change in temperature.
>>
>>985400
that's why in the first we hava a cooler directed on the heat area... and the second we have the ar passing through the heat sink... cooling the sink
>>
>>985373
water is a better conductor than air.

So put it in water. Should work.
>>
>>985416
the heat sink in that case?
>>
Make a large water cooled heat sink to set it on. Have the fans be far away so you don't have to listen to them all the time.
>>
put as many pc fans as you can, together, facing up towards the bottom
>>
>>985373
if your computer is side or back vented buy one of those cheapie stick on turbine fans, problem solved

bottom vented, give up now.
>buy some sheet aluminum and bend it into an L shape its not that hard geez

>>985416
>>985423
>>985467
> be in college, have access to cnc mill
>kid cuts custom bottom chassis plate from solid Al block in shape of the door his laptop has to acess components
>glues it into his case with thermal paste, attaching to extant heat pipes and sinks
The thermals got worse because there was no airflow for the turbine fan and it ended up killing his expensive gaymer laptop because it touched the charging circuitry and shorted it
>>
It would have been a lot more helpful if you had explained some of your options and items in your diagrams. do you even lift bro?
>>
>>985373
Maybe get something like a sandwich of 2 sheets of A4 sized, 5mm 1/4" thick aluminium, bolt some peltiers underneath it (cool side to the sheet facing the laptop).
The lower sheet will act as a heat-sink to the hot side of the peltiers and an air-gap with some screw or bolt-ends to keep it off the surface its put on.

You might even be able to run their power off the USB, but depending on how many amps/volts they use a smaller PSU might be needed.
>>
>>985373
mfw we duct taped a 120mm fan to the bottom exhaust of an overheating dell XPS at a LAN evening and then put it on the legs (underside) of older crt monitor stand and taped everything up solid. Powered the fan with a old wall-wart for a cordless phone or similar with 12v 1.4amps out. Worked like a champ, looked like a boss & many games were played that evening in ~2007. Good luck with your 3rdworldigans OP!
>>
>>985491
take this guys advice. also that lappy mod is hilarious. how expensive was the gamertop?
>>
>>985931
around 3,5k in 2014 money
daddy gave him the same amount of money and I got a free college laptop out of it by doing the following:

>hey buddy, want to make a bet I can build you a laptop that has better stats and battery life than your old one for half the price?
>dude is old oil money or something, plays with his cash like an idiot, likes to bet people stupid shit, esp with PCs
> his older laptop was the ultimate meme machine, 32gb ram, mobile r9 290 crossfire, desktop processor, raid 0 HDDs, etc
>one of those faggots that benchmarks everything, so he agrees
>OK if i win you get the laptop and I get daddy's money
> go out of pocket for parts, was saving up to build a desktop
> clevo barebones 15in w/o gpu with the nicest QM laptop processor at the time and 2 8gb dimms, runs me abt 950 USD
>chuck in a good sata3 SSD b/c it's enough to outperform meme0
>one of the ones with dual turbines that go over gpu and cpu, but for our purposes we're leaving the MXM slot empty and using all that cooling for the CPU because one of his requirements was thermals
>CNC out a modified plastic baseplate out of sheet something or other in the scrap materials bin
>same as original but has a slot in it for next modification
>these barebones don't have whitelisted mini PCIs
>I take an old IDE cable and a miniPCIe surface mount thing and wire up a miniPCI extension that screws into the extra one on the mobo and snaps into the slot perpendicular to baseplate
>get a PCIe to MPCIe gpu kit I've verified to work in a previous project
> grab a used 780 Ti off craigslist, made the guy verify it had stock bios and torture test it in front of me, worked fine, ran me $365
>build a "laptop dock" for the egpu, basically a cooling stand enclosure
>GPU is mounted flat with exhaust and i/o facing the left on the back because the laptops fans intakes were on the bottom right
>rig it up so there's just an edge connector that snaps to the bottom of the laptop, little lip on the bottom.
>>
>>985945
>wire in a powered USB hub too because why not
>all of this driven by a nigrigged 1u server redundant power supply I had laying around
>wire up a few pwm turbine fans to move air over the gpu and blow cold air onto the bottom of the laptop to a dial on the side
>outside machined Al and acrylic, inside mdf and pvc, tack soldering/hot glue/woodscrews, etc
>made it so top cover was on hinges for cleaning/gpu upgrades
>put win7 on it, set it up, did the display (8.1 and 10 did not exist) management garbage nonsense so it would recover semi gracefully to the laptops panel when removed from dock and vice versa when placed
> destroys thermals and battery life because there's no meme components and I sprung for the doubled cell battery
>very slight overclock on CPU because why not
>Destroys gaming and benchmarks too
>dude never games outside of his dorm b/c of the trash battery life on gaming laptops anyway
>perfect, upgradeable solution.
>total cost was just under the wire at $1700
>if I included labor and didn't use scrap materials from the shop it would be way over lol
>I win, pocket the extra cash and build desktop and buy a laptop because fuck going to that much troupble for myself
> come out with $1000 revenue, a $1400 PC and a $1100 lappy (not a gaymer one because laptops are for content consumption, word processing/office shit, and light content production)

been casemodding as a hobby since.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.