[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some cool things i can make using tritium.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 11
File: 51HvZhdaG8L._SY400_.jpg (28 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
51HvZhdaG8L._SY400_.jpg
28 KB, 400x400
What are some cool things i can make using tritium.
>>
>>985297
Permanent backlight
Everlasting glo-sticks
Bioluminescence
>>
>>985298
Thought somehow you /diy/ were above all that.
>>
>>985301
There's some one that goes to all new threads and makes either the mom or ass comment.
>>
>>985301
>>985307
At least mine was subtle...
>>985300
>>
Weapon sights
Key chains
exit lighting
Jewelry
>>
HOLY SHIT

You can make glow sticks that last FOREVER?

OP, get as much tritium as you can and make a glowstick encased in leaded glass. Maybe pay an artisan to make you a hybrid kind of leaded unbreakable glass or leaded plastic...?

THE GLOW STICK THAT SHINES FOREVER
>>
>>985320
or just encase in clear epoxy
>>
>>985320
Or.... You know 8-10 years.
>>
>>985320
what is half-life?
>>
>>985344
>what is half-life?
A bad ass game awaiting a new version.
>>
I actually have a lot of lighting projects in mind that would involve using those little gas-tritium tubes...

Is it legal to buy those in bulk? If so are they outrageously priced, or can one get them cheaply in the US? (because customs bullshit)

As I understand their radiation output is safe, but what if there were several of them beside each other? Any danger there?
>>
>>985430

>YFW HL3 development is maintained by a tiny skeleton crew and Valve has no real plans to finish/release it at this time, due to fear of backlash from over-hyped fans
>>
>>985324
That's just its half life. It will last much longer than that.
>>
>>985544
They're right though, at this point if it did ever come out, it would never live up to expectations, never.
>>
Fucking being in America, can't buy tritium vials loose.
>>
>>985600
why not?

you can get them on ebay
>>
>>985603
yeah but that is grey market. they can get snatched up at any point on your way to you. You'll just get a letter saying the government as seized them. Because the feds don't allow sales of radioactive materials for frivolous purposes.

So all tritium vials have to be securely encased in a End Product, before reaching the customer.
>>
>>985608
its a really low radiation level, im pretty sure your smoke detector emits more radiation.
>>
>>985560
The phosphor is being damaged by the radiation, the glow will fade over time...
>>
>>985297
a space ship engine
A fusion generator
>>
>>985320
Tritium is a gas that's radioactive. The inside of a transparant container is coated with a radioluminencent paint. This radioactive gas has a halflife of 8-10 years. A halflife is a rate of decay of radioactive particles. When an unstable atom collapses to another form, it sends out a pulse of radiation. that means that after 10 years the half of the tritium gas particles have changed into something else that the next elements radioactive energy might or might not have enough power to light up the paint

yeah would be pretty cool to have a large glowstick with a vertical shutter. Not from top to bottom, but around it.

And I want cheap tritium keychain hangers for bug out bags etc
>>
>>985935
Ahh, if only the stuff was cheaper, and not so difficult to come by...
>>
>>986580
well you can build a diy particle accelerator and use deuterium you get from electrolysis to make it.
If i remember correctly it would only cost about 200$ of electricity to make 1L of heavy water. there was a thread about it about 9 months ago, maybe you can find it in an archive.
>>
File: IMG_20160430_180344.jpg (4 MB, 4588x2988) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160430_180344.jpg
4 MB, 4588x2988
Key fob lanterns
>>
>>987127
Yeah, right before you get hauled off to Abu graib
>>
>>987127
>diy particle accelerator
now we're talking diy
>>
>>985297
Make a neat intro for a YouTube channel
>>
>>987483
too late its already done
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITgfscq6__A
>>
>>985297
Cancer
>>
>>987538
Well, you're not wrong
>>
>>987542
he made a video about all the radioactive materials he have but he removed it.
(or made it private for a maybe good reason)
think he had around 20-30 pound of 30-40% uranium ore and 50 grams of yellow cake and 4 grams of pure uranium https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3IGiHtEamk
he also had a lot of other differed radioactive minerals but now its gone
>>
>>987524
you know what is crazy?

Napoleon's Grand Army worn tin buttons on their uniforms. The Russian winter was so cold, that is turned all the white metallic tin buttons into non metallic grey tin. Which helped cause hypothermia and frost bite in the retreating army. Since their clothes would not stay on properly.
>>
>>985319
>Weapon sights
Kek, this reminds me of the guy on /k/ who put a tritium vial on a cock ring to help him hit the toilet in the dark.
>>
>>987576
yes have heard it briefly in history class.
but it is a bigger problem in satellites, planes
and on research stations on the arctic and generally cold climates.
it comes form the introduction of lead free solders to the electronics industry.
some cheep ones is made purely of tin and they also develop tinpest.
and if this is not taken into consideration then your shit gonna fail.
>>
I would stick lots of tritium bars inside a shiny metallic enclosure, and add the right amount of solar cells possible.

It would generate electricity as long as trititum is shining.
>>
File: HomemadeNuclearReactor.jpg (66 KB, 527x342) Image search: [Google]
HomemadeNuclearReactor.jpg
66 KB, 527x342
A nuclear breeder reactor.
>>
>>987877
Followed by the EPA confiscating your shed.
>>
>>985541
>>985617

It's a weak beta emitter. If you break one open, the H3 escapes and you get T-water vapor which you then breath in. Then the only way to tell how much internal dose you have fucking up your body is to do relatively constant bioassays until it's flushed...and you *do* have to flush it or it will retain (kidneys if I recall off the top of my head). But a couple of tiny vials isn't going to do much, still, if you break one, I would drink 2x water/beer/gatorade for a few days.
>>
>>987127
You dont need a particle accelerator you dunce. A simple fusion reactor will suffice.

>simple fusion reactor hurr durr

They really arent all that complicated. People make them in their garage all the time. Google it.
>>
>>989501
>simple fusion reactor
>People make them in their garage all the time
You mean a fusor? About as effective as hitting stuff with a hammer and hoping neutrons fly where you want them to.
>>
>>987867
someone on youtube already did this, it worked.. 10 years of power, very nice..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUNDobqczW4
>>
File: ber.png (103 KB, 438x572) Image search: [Google]
ber.png
103 KB, 438x572
>>987127
>>987480
>/diy/ particle accelerator
>>
File: 1434050244441.jpg (32 KB, 563x542) Image search: [Google]
1434050244441.jpg
32 KB, 563x542
>>985297
make radioactive glowing pepe's
>>
>>985297
I'll just leave this here...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUNDobqczW4
>>
>>989730
"Though fusion with a proton is the dominant method of consuming deuterium, other reactions are possible. These include fusion with another deuterium nucleus to form helium-3, tritium, or (more rarely) helium-4, or with helium to form various isotopes of lithium."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deuterium_fusion

Ok yea i meant fusor, my bad on the terminology. Im right on all other accounts though. Deuterium-deuterium fusion is way easier to get tritium out of than using a particle accelerator to make it one atom at a time.
>>
Cancer
>>
>>987878
you know I just bought a house last year... part of the mortgage agreement was that I would not turn the backyard into a garbage dump, and I'm sure somewhere buried in the legaleese it says something that covers making breeding reactors in your backyard... wonder if that kids parents got butfucked by their bank.... (well after the epa was done charging them for packing their backyard into barrels).
>>
>>985300
>everlasting
Well like 36.9 years or so. Half life:12.3 years.
>>
By radiactive you mean 'bad' radiation?
Any problem with exposure to tritium?
>>
>>991432

Been used in the military as watchface bioluminescence since the second world war or thereabouts.

Run a Geiger-muller counter over it and you can hear the clicks, but it's barely above "normal" background radiation in terms of cellular damage.

Chernobyl clicks like you wouldn't believe and people live there, not to mention the tourism in the nearby area's which aren't at all restricted.

They're not all dead or mutated in a noticeable fashion for the most part.

If it's your life's dream to never have cellular damage caused by radiation, the Sun stole that from you as a child. So may as well enjoy a purty watch ;)
>>
>>991432
They're sometimes used for exit signs in buildings.

Anyway no, tritium is a very weak beta emitter and it's decay energy is very low. Just don't inhale it, though in most cases it'll just rise to the top of a room if released.
>>
>>990508
why didn't Sauce just use more tritium, im confused
>>
>>987597
>but it is a bigger problem in satellites, planes
They wear clothing with buttons?
>>
>>985320
>mentioning lead that much
it's going to explode isn't it
>>
File: 152[1].jpg (38 KB, 865x372) Image search: [Google]
152[1].jpg
38 KB, 865x372
>>985297
virtually limitless energy
>>
>>991558
Kek
>>
>>991456
>Run a Geiger-muller counter over it and you can hear the clicks
Geiger tubes are generally not sensitive to tritium's radiation.

>>991051
>than using a particle accelerator to make it one atom at a time.
Fusor isn't that different from a shitty electrostatic particle accelerator, "making one atom at a time".
> fusion is way easier to get tritium
Maybe easier, but easier does not mean easy, realistic or practical.
Wikipedia claims that the highest achieved neutron flux from a fusor-like thing has been 3*10^11 neutrons per second. If you optimistically assume that every neutron is accompanied by a tritium atom and that you can extract them all, that would mean a tritium production rate of 1.5 pg/s. To produce one gram would take roughly 20000 years. Wikipedia says that tritium is worth $30k per gram, so your yearly production would be worth $1.5.

On the positive side is that the smallest, weakest tritium lights have only a tiny amount of tritium in them and you'd be able to produce enough (again, at 100% efficiency) in a week or two. On the other hand, fusors have generally much, much lower neutron production rates. Even 10^7 neutrons per second is a lot and at that production rate you'll never be able to fill the vial, since tritium decays too quickly.
>>
Cancer.
>>
>>991550
I think he was just China shilling. I guess that's still a yes though.
>>
>>991781
>using Wikipedia as a source on a reputable site like 4chan

>sure, we believe you anon

Why would you shit up a quality, highly scientific thread like this with your drivel, anon?
>>
>>985320
>>985344
not FOREVER, the half life of tritium is 12.3 years, which is still a long time
>>
>>985297
The most awesome dildo!
>>
>>987591
>>>985319
>>Weapon sights
>Kek, this reminds me of the guy on /k/ who put a tritium vial on a cock ring to help him hit the toilet in the dark.
please tell me you screencapd it
>>
>>985430
>>985544

For a while I thought valve was using the half-life series as demos when they released new game engines, and figured 3 would come out when they debuted a new one. However I think I remember hearing that they were planning to stick with the source engine for a while, and then I think there was another engine that they put out a year or so ago. And hl3 hasn't arrived, so my theory is probably wrong.
>>
>>985297
Does US Customs still have a shit-fit when you try to order these from a foreign (Chinese) supplier?

Like they think we are going to build a nuke in our basement or something?
>>
>>995764
Also interested in buying. What's the pricing of your supplier?

eurokuk btw
>>
Tumors
>>
>>987591
Goddammit I love /k/
>>
>>996122
>What's the pricing of your supplier?

That was my post. I don't have a supplier. Vials can be ordered from various sources from $6 ea. on up (depending on size and color).

I've looked into ordering a few for telescope dial markers and similar applications. Some people say shipping into the USA is no problem. Others says this is some sort of restricted item. So I never pursued my project. Talk is cheap on the Internet.

Take a look at mixglo .com
>>
>>991550
lead is just a good choice to absorb radiations (from Tritium in this case) and also lead oxyde doped glass is resistant (pyrex glass for chemistry), or can change the refraction index of regular glass to give some shiny crystal
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.