[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This fucking lever thing in my toilet broke. Would it be best
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: 20160427_093318.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160427_093318.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
This fucking lever thing in my toilet broke.

Would it be best to?
1. Glue it togeather with apoxy
2. Buy a new one
>>
>>985236
Just buy a new one. They're only about 3$
>>in Jewtah.
>>
>>985236

new one
>>
>>985237
>>985238

Thanks. What's it called and are they a universal size or should I bring this one to the store to get the right size?
>>
>>985236
You could try epoxy but it will just break again.
>>
>>985255
Why even bother making the suggestion in that case?
>>
>>985258
Is it a universal piece or should I bring the broken one to the store to figure out the right size?
>>
>>985263
It's probably universal, but it ain't doing anything where it is, so you might as well bring it along with you just in case
>>
>>985263
In function, almost certainly universal.

In style, aside from colour, you could get something that sticks out differently and doesn't quite feel right.
>>
>>985236
if you already have the epoxy and don't mind wasting it if it doesn't work then go for it, only takes a few minutes... and if it works then your set.... if it doesn't work then you're not really any worse off than you already are.... report back with your findings.
>>
>>985274
I wish I had epoxy, I'll grab some if it's a cheaper option because I'd like to repair my boots anyway.

>>985270
My place is a rental so I don't give a fuck about aesthetics. I'd fix it with a stick and a paperclip for all I care.

>>985264
Yeah I need to take it out regardless of route of repair.
>>
Buy a new one unless you thoroughly enjoy fixing innexpensive things that are usually replaced every few years to begin with just for fun.

My pop used to try to fix his but he had to keep reattaching the chain multiple times a week. It's pointless when they are so cheap. Just don't buy a shitty brand that skimps on materials.
>>
>>985278
epoxy, tape, a few different screws and nails... all of these thrown in a tuperware container can save you a lot of time... maybe throw in some superglue as well..
>>
>>985278
Just a bit of advice that a friend of mine told me that has stuck with me, he said it better than I will but hopefully it still is meaningful.

I was moving out of my place, fixing up stuff that had been broken for a while, or that was messy that i had just been living with. He pointed out that if i was going to fix it before moving why didn't i just fix it right away? Then you don't have to put up with it, and you have a higher quality of life. I've kept that in mind since and it's really helped me be happier.

Anyway, it is a little over the top for this example, but the comment about fixing it with a paperclip or whatever brought it to mind.
>>
>>985245
>Thanks. What's it called and are they a universal size or should I bring this one to the store to get the right size?
You should always bring the part to the store to match it, if possible.

>>985302
>My pop used to try to fix his but he had to keep reattaching the chain multiple times a week. It's pointless when they are so cheap. Just don't buy a shitty brand that skimps on materials.
All the plastic ones skimp on materials now. They are probably all made in the same factory.

Protip: there are metal ones made,,,, the handle part is brass and the inside lever is steel. They cost more but on well. The cheap plastic ones cost like $5, the all-metal ones are like $40 but you will probably never need to replace it again.

Warning: you may have to modify the better-made brass ones a bit to fit into a normal toilet tank, since they are usually made for fancier brands of toilets. The fitting that goes through the tank wall is often a bit too big & thick for the smaller holes in cheaper/common toilets.
>>
>>985236
Question only slightly related. Best way to glue pyrex and metal together? It's a pyrex glass piece, a rubber grommet, and a metal piece and I want to use something to seal the point where the pyrex and metal connect that will get hard and strong.
>>
>>985343
>>985343
Drugs and drug paraphernalia aren't allowed on /diy/, bong-man.

Use silicone, and get outta here.
>>
File: serious_crimes_rj2ioj5.jpg (68 KB, 800x702) Image search: [Google]
serious_crimes_rj2ioj5.jpg
68 KB, 800x702
>>985343
>Question only slightly related. Best way to glue pyrex and metal together? It's a pyrex glass piece, a rubber grommet, and a metal piece and I want to use something to seal the point where the pyrex and metal connect that will get hard and strong.
(sigh)
Usually these junctions are clamped, with the grommet in compression.
The main reason is that for most metals there's no kind of adhesive that really holds on. The surface of the metal oxidizes over time, and that oxidization will work under any kind of glue applied to the surface.

Glass can be cemented pretty well if it is etched first.
>>
>>985384
no drugs, not a bong.
>>
>>985387
no drugs, not a bong.
>>
>>985408
Yeah, yeah, don't worry. Your super sekrit totally-not-a-bong is safe with me.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.