[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
are there any single board computers that wont fuck themselves
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: VNuY_cmB.jpg (165 KB, 1252x1252) Image search: [Google]
VNuY_cmB.jpg
165 KB, 1252x1252
are there any single board computers that wont fuck themselves on a non-graceful shutdown?

I'm building a touchscreen multimedia device for my 2000 mitsubishi lancer b/c the radio is broken.
>have the 12v to 5v/3.3v sorted
>I know how to make parts out of fiberglass and paint them properly
>a hardware switch isn't really an option because the power to it is switched with ignition
>HDD isn't an option for obvious reasons
my only required specs are:
>can run kodi or similar
>supports bluetooth onboard or via usb
>supports usb touchscreen or i2c >touchscreen via gpio without having to write a custom driver
>supports newish sdhc or microsdhc capacities
>hardware ffmpeg or similar would be nice but not really required
>gps/gprs would be ok, I can download a local map to use with it
>moonshot is all of above with a software defined am/fm radio

I just want to play my meme music and have a comfy modern dashpanel without shelling out
>>
http://elinux.org/Main_Page might be a good place to start.
>>
>>985322
I think I found a solution. I plan on building a boost converter/charging protection circuit and Li ion battery into the system, then writing a script that triggers touchdown when switch from car-Li ion cell
should work with one of my rpis I have laying around and a 5 dollar gpio addon board. biggest question now is which SBC is best, and what the most cost efficient package is. (the rpi monitors are super expensive or are tiny and suck)
>>
>>985352
reccommendations welcome
>>
File: anus.png (7 KB, 567x527) Image search: [Google]
anus.png
7 KB, 567x527
>non-graceful shutdown
Just use the JFS filesystem, usually takes less than a second to replay journal on reboot

Alternatively a small circuit could delay the power-off, with an optocoupler connected to a GPIO to start a shutdown.
Just play around with the right values and it should work.

Connection of the optocoupler to the SBC might depend on the board.
>>
>>985361
hadn't considered this, much more elegant than chucking in a phone battery. thanks. any recommendation on a good SBC/i2c touch panel/supported usb monitor?
>>
File: 1452301051872.jpg (89 KB, 604x604) Image search: [Google]
1452301051872.jpg
89 KB, 604x604
>>985369
>SBC/i2c touch panel/supported usb monitor
Dunno, I started looking once, but there was too many choices
>>
i unplug my Raspi running kodi all the time. it complains about it when i reboot, but no harm is done.
i've considered using one of those SD cards that have a tiny write-protect switch to protect the OS but have yet to experiment to see if Kodi can run that way.
>>
>>985191

Can't recall where but I know a few websites sell battery packs for the RPI to solve this.

It just triggers a GPIO pin when you turn the car off and initiates shutdown.
>>
>>985440
I can buid one with parts ive got around. think its the simplest solution

>>985415
I plan on getting 2x the 256gb sdhc, and loading it with all my music (~450gb) . if theres a corruption risk i dont wanna have to reflash constantly wuth that amt of data

>>985376
I really wish I could find more reviews/info on this. I may just get regular panel and mod a joystick board into media center controls
>>
>>985477
get a chinese rpi knockoff with sata and acheap SSD. save you a lot of money, and a hard shutdown will only affect the sd card, not your ssd

I know theres a distro for rpi compatibles that supports trim, and afew knockoff models that have identical gpio headers.

?the farther you get from raspi the less community suppoert there will be tho so buyer beware
>>
>>985415
>>985479
>a hard shutdown will only affect the sd card, not your ssd
I'd love to know why you think that.

The problem isn't the hardware, but the data stored on it.
>>
>>985477
Just set it so your music is on a separate read-only partition and you won't have to deal with corruption.
>>
>>985490
>>985483
>>985479

know it sounds douchey but id rather do it correctly and spend a little extra time to make it shuts down properly when I park and turn off the vehicle

>>985479
any specific non-rpi models you can think of? I don't care what it is as long as it can drive a touchscreen monitor
>>
>>985495
Banana Pi, Orange Pi.
>>
>>985517
benefits of these?
>>
>>985547
Not him, but the Banana Pi offers SATA.
This means that you can do much better than an SD card.

You can't do a mechanical hard drive, obviously, but there are other options. I hear mSATA is going out the door. Try one of those.
>>
>>985495
Why don't you just wire it straight to the battery instead of putting it on the switched accessory circuit? You could probably rig up a relay that would disconnect it once no power was being drawn.
>>
>>985651
would make it harder, I've already got the power into the radio cavity
>>
Pcduino3
Spec at cutedigi.com
>>
>>985645
>Banana Pi
>notascam
>>
Nvidia Jets tk1 or tx1 . TX1 is a teraflop of power cpu+graphics at <100 watts, it has built in wifi, graphics card, flash memory and an additional sd card slot, hdmi, bluetooth, touchscreen display connector (details linked below) , sata, and GPIO headers etc etc. http://www.androidcentral.com/look-nvidia-jetson-tx1
>>
I forgot to mention that TX1 also has headers for power buttons reset buttons etc, and you can power it with 3.3-19 volts (though good luck finding that until you buy it, online documentation doesn't say shit about power requirements)
>>
>>986178
You should have both if you haven't ripped out the factory wiring harness.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.