[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How good do you trust Gorilla glue ? i have to glue 2 piece of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: Nat_Geo_Wild_logo.png (329 KB, 600x434) Image search: [Google]
Nat_Geo_Wild_logo.png
329 KB, 600x434
How good do you trust Gorilla glue ?
i have to glue 2 piece of wood together, and i want to avoid using screw
>>
I'd trust it more than a black man on the corner.
>>
>>984962
how quick does it need to hold

I have had good luck with one minute loctite
it really does hold in just one minute

the main thing is keeping everything clamped while the glue cures
>>
>>984964
well i don't have any clamp that fit where its need to glue but i added a weight to press on it.
>>
>>984962
Regular wood glue, when allied correctly, is stranger than the wood itself. When applied incorrectly its complete shit. The same goes with Gorilla glue.
>>
>>984962
the foaming garbage or real wood glue?

and how are you attaching them? face? end? side?

have you considered dowels? other joints?

if you use screws, you can always cover the holes with plugs
>>
>>984962
>How good do you trust Gorilla glue ?
A lot. Probably more than I'd trust screws.
>>984964
>how quick does it need to hold
This too; gorilla glue doesn't harden very fast so make sure you give it plenty of time to cure.
>>984981
>Regular wood glue, when allied correctly, is stranger than the wood itself.
Cross-grain, yeah. Wood is much stronger in long-grain than cross-grain, though, so don't expect an end-joint to be as strong as the wood itself without a generous scarf or splice joint.
>When applied incorrectly its complete shit.
Yes. Gorilla glue is SOMEWHAT more forgiving than wood glue or even liquid nails, but even when it "expands to fill gaps" in a sloppy joint, as it's advertised to do, it still loses a lot of its strength. Make sure you check the strength of your joints after completion before they go into regular use.
>>
>>984962
Some gorilla glues are water activated so they work much better if you wet one of the surfaces that you're joining.
>>
File: 71XMjLamWML._SL1500_[1].jpg (92 KB, 1500x616) Image search: [Google]
71XMjLamWML._SL1500_[1].jpg
92 KB, 1500x616
>>984962
I've been done with gorilla glue for years now.

For wood I'd go with titebond 2 or 3 depending on the waterproofness you need.

For other stuff I've found pic related to be pretty good.
>>
>>984962
I don't trust that stuff at all. I've seen it fail too may times. I think it has to do with it being a bit more complicated to apply. If you need ....well this anon knows >>985250 Titebond all the way. I prefer Titebond 3.
>>
>>984962
Just use normal wood glue.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUWu-N85oXM
>>
titebond 3
>>
>>984962
5 minute wood adhesive is great.
>>
File: 1461621436394.jpg (136 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1461621436394.jpg
136 KB, 800x800
>>984962
What is the project? What type of joint?
>mfw no one has asked this yet
>>
>>984962
>Gorilla glue
meme tier glue
pva glue is stronger than the wood.
urethane is even stronger and only slightly more expensive.

pva will go soft is exposed to moisture though.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.