[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you create asbestos materials? I have some raw asbestos
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: asbestos.jpg (25 KB, 448x440) Image search: [Google]
asbestos.jpg
25 KB, 448x440
How do you create asbestos materials? I have some raw asbestos my friend got
>>
You don't. It's illegal. Posting this for those who don't realise its bait and think asbestos is safe and sound.

There is a notable exception in the USA for it's use and yours isn't it.
>>
>>984007
>living in a police state
>2016
>>
>>984007
Regardless of legality, I'd be concerned about getting asbestosis :/
>>
>>984024
If someone is handling mineral asbestos, I'd be more concerned about getting fibres in your skin. Which can be uncomfortable, to say the least.
>>
>>984031
You'd be more concerned about getting itchy than not being able to breath?
>>
>>984009
>>984031

Go snort lines of it Mr Anti-police state 2016. Come back when you get it.
>>
>>984000
Mesothelioma
>>
I know it's a bait thread, but asbestos is like some boogeyman radioactive clawed killer. Everyone is exposed to it and everyone has it in their lungs right now. That's just from nature. For a good century it was used in everything from gas mask filters to joint compound, because it's one of the best and most useful materials for about 8 million things.

Prolonged exposure creates the health problems associated with it. No, you don't want a bunch of friable asbestos sitting in a sack in your living room. Exposure lever over time, like with everything, is what matters. Your body makes acetone, but you shouldn't soak your arms in it all day long, it will kill you. So will water with the right dose.
>>
>>984043
>is NOT like some boogeyman radioactive clawed killer

sorry
>>
>>984043
While well intensioned, this post is wrong. It potentially only takes one particle in the wrong place in your lungs for problems to develop.
>>
>>984000
It depends on what you want to make, I'm guessing. What do you have in mind?
>>
>>984033
Mesothelioma isn't exactly guaranteed just because you touched some asbestos this one time. Even with people who worked with the stuff in industry only have an *elevated* chance of developing mesothelioma or asbestosis, because the mechanism is quite specific and may or may not develop.

So yeah if you have a lump of asbestos I'd be more worried about itchy hands (which can develop into more serious conditions if you get the fibres stuck in your dermis) than anything else.
>>
>>984051
Well of course it does, but the chances of getting that fibre in your lung in a way that causes a problem is far, far lower than people think. Which is why prolonged exposure increases your chances, because it increases the number of fibres you're inhaling and therefore your chances of developing problems from them also increases.
>>
>>984043
While partially correct this post is ill-informed.

>used for decades
Yes but not the last two and certainly not this one.
>>
>>984091
It's still used (though much less than in previous decades) in the U.S. and quite a bit in other countries. It was still mined in Canada up to just about 5 years ago.

Breathing a bunch of dust into your lungs is never good, and there are lots of defined occupational lung diseases related to lots of dust types. Silicosis for example.

What makes asbestos extra special it two things- its durability and its ability to break down into fiber lengths that are so small that it behaves like a gas. Now it will bypass all but the best filters and situations can arise where small amounts of friable asbestos become airborne over long periods of time, exposing people who normally would only have occaisional (natural) contact.

Every person has asbestos fibers in their lungs right now. Doesn't mean you should snort lines of it. You should be really careful with it. But a few fibers in the air here and there will not kill you.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.