[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Custom graphic on a skateboard
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: Untitled-2.jpg (338 KB, 1200x2000) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-2.jpg
338 KB, 1200x2000
okay guys, i need helping spray painting a custom skateboard with the image posted but im new to spray painting and wanted to know if primer is necessary before spraying on the deck. its a plain wood grain deck and i was going to spray it matt white and draw the graphic on with sharpie THEN spray over with a clear coat of lacquer. any tips are also greatly appreciated
>>
Yes you should prime it.
Sharpie will fade.
Get some actual paint. Make sure it's compatible with the base coat.
>>
>>982161
Sand it
prime it
paint it
clear coat it

Sharpie won't last very long. Use an enamel paint.
>>
It'll look like shit m8
>>
>>982161

Any reason you dont spray it on the grip tape instead ?
>>
>>982185
the grip will wear and get muddy

>>982167
>>982165
i can't paint the decal because its too tricky and i can't be arsed to make the stencils since they can take a long time to make

what happens if i don't prime it? is it just not as durable or will it not adhere properly? i was also already planning on sanding it down since i know you have to give the paint something good to grip to
>>
>>982161
Faber castell pens. they come in different thicknesses. the black is colorfast and won't damage with UV.

Priming isn't necessary in this case. but it will help cover up the wood grain sand the board starting out at 80 grit, working up to at least 600 grit.

http://www.krylon.com/products/crystal-clear-acrylic/

for the clear coat, is going to be the right one for your application.

make sure you spray your color coat in matte paints tho. Rusto and duplicolor work well with the krylon clear, but valspar is gimp stuff will fuck it up finish wise. let the clear cure for at least 2 days. apply it in thin as possible coats.. good luck finding it in stores though, its been phased out due to being unpopular where I live. its really good stuff. they had one a few years ago that had a UV blocker in it, dunno what happened to it, I still have the empty can, one day ill contact kylon about it.
>>
>>982191
>stencils take a long time to make

Could make it in 10 minutes in photoshop, then you just print it out and cut it out...
>>
>>982312
Hell he could even trace off his monitor.
>>
>>982312
>>982343
cutting them out takes the piss, i can draw it but it can take me half an hour to make all the stencils needed
>>
>>982523
stencil it, your sharpie drawing will look amateurish but lucky for you it won't last long.
>>
If I was to do this I'd get a vinyl decal printed at a sign or printing shop and stick it on then trim the edges off. You might want a higher quality image tho.
>>
>>982523
>i can draw it but it can take me half an hour to make all the stencils needed

Now you have something to do while you wait for your primer to dry.
>>
>>982523
>i can draw it but it can take me half an hour to make all the stencils needed

If you can draw then you can paint. Draw it out in pencil and paint it with a brush. If you can't invest a little time in your project why even do it at all. Especially when the whole point of the project is to be aesthetically pleasing.

> I'll just sharpie my wank material on the bottom of my board and use my jizz as a top coat to protect it.
>>
>>982523
>it can take me half an hour to make all the stencils needed
>a half an hour is too much work to create a quality product

Christ, if you want to nigger something why not just print the image you want out on a sheet of sticker paper and just clear coat the damn thing when you're done?
>>
>>982161
Best way is to get a stencil of your image, as many as there are different colors cut the places where each color goes on corresponding stencil then just layer and spray
>>
>>982161
why does it say J and not Q?
>>
>>982161
also buy some stiff sheet plastic for stencils, you'll get a cleaner edge than paperboard or printer paper

replace xacto plades liberally and buy plenty of extras for best quality
>>
>>985921
Or you could sharpen them.
>>
>>982161
check out this channel. girl have lots of tips and tricks about painting skateboards.
youtube.com/user/FieldeyCustom
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.