[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /diy/ the house I just moved into has this old fire pit in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5
File: 20160421_143051_001.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
20160421_143051_001.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1152
Hey /diy/ the house I just moved into has this old fire pit in the back. How should I go about restoring it and what other suggestions do you have for me?
>>
File: 783.jpg (386 KB, 3212x2920) Image search: [Google]
783.jpg
386 KB, 3212x2920
>>982134
get rid of all that shit before a dinosaur lays eggs in it. go buy a dozen or so concrete blocks and make a new u-shaped ring. dick it out so it's about 6" deep in the middle. depending on how much you use it the bricks will begin to crack so you'll have to spend a few bucks a year replacing the dead ones. you might want to make it a couple bricks high as well, up to you
>>
>>982141
>dick
i meant dig

it must be spring kek
>>
>>982141
Hahaha thanks bro you're awesome
>>
>>982134
Don't dick around (pun intended) with bricks, go down to the scrap yard and find something there, I've got an old tractor wheel (minus the tire of coarse) that I use, it's thick metal that will outlast me and didn't hardly cost a thing, if I was worried about air flow then I could prop it up on a few bricks, but I'm not and it works just fine.
>>
>>982154
http://theownerbuildernetwork.co/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/DIY-Tractor-Rim-Fire-Pit.jpg
>>
>>982154
>go down to the scrap yard and find something there
oh sorry I didn't realize OP was squatting in a vacant rubble lot in east detroit. in that case sure, junkyard trash will work fine. hell, he could just get a big ol' 50 gallon drum
>>
>>982184
>he could just get a big ol' 50 gallon drum

Washing machine drums work way better
>>
>>982206
That's pretty neat actually
>>
File: 1439759026409.jpg (15 KB, 640x421) Image search: [Google]
1439759026409.jpg
15 KB, 640x421
>>982134
1) Move the horribly broken up pieces of concrete back into a proper ring

2) start a fire

>It's restored
>>
>>982141
Unless your planning on using fire bricks, just use stones instead, no use investing it crap that with just break down on you.

Invest in proper fire brick, it will cost you an extra 0.15ยข a brick... I know, it's a bank breaker huh

Or get yourself some good river rocks, they look a hell of a lot better and last forever.
If you collect them yourself from a river, make sure to sun dry them for about 2-3 weeks before starting a fire within them, well unless you don't mind rock shrapnel imbedding into you while roasting marshmallows
>>
>>982370
that's an old wives' tale so unless you're an old wife stoppit! yes wet river rocks can crack crumble when superheated by they ain't gonna fuckin splode.
>>
>>982378
Your funeral... but your right, everything you read on the interweb is true, so just disregard what I said before, because seeing and doing it in real life has no factual basis, right?
>>
>>982388
How old are you? Actually curious. I'm not the guy who was replying to you btw.
>>
>>982370
FYI bricks are porous and will absorb water and often times crack due to small water pockets. This is true of firebrick too.

Rocks tend to crack rather than explode. Not that it isn't possible.
>>
>>983217

I also grew up in the woods in the middle of nowhere next to a river if you were curious
>>
That is just a caveman fire site.

Build a REAL one.

I got one built around a brake drum from a 5 ton truck.

The heavy cast iron holds heat really well and you can bolt on some studs to hold it off the ground and put an ash screen in the bottom
>>
>>982141
Get a metal liner for the fire pit and the blocks won't breakdown as much..
>>
File: 20160319_215850.jpg (2 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160319_215850.jpg
2 MB, 5312x2988
>>983536
Like this?
>>
>>983877
Fire pit, not a stove
>>
Remove the old concrete or keep it
Make a ring out of stones and such.
>Mow grass around it to make the yard look better by comparison.
>>
>>982134
Yeah dude that thing is toast. Just make a new one. Plenty of guides online if you need them. Im a fan of stone.
>>
>>982134
Ehhh, just dig up the ground a little, and put some large rocks in a circle. You can probably get some from the local aggregate quarry, or just by wandering around (depending on the local geology) I've made some nice firepits with slate I've found in the area around where I'm at.
>>
>>982134

>How do I restore a pile of block rubble with ashes in the middle?

I actually chuckled.
>>
>>982134
dig it out completely and get some brick/edgingblocks.

arrange in circle

wew
>>
>>984677

Me too, the pik made it hilarious to me.

Im guessing this is infact satire OP. If not your task is literally find a non flammable material you like and place it in a circle.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.