[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
woodworking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 8
What is a minimalist poorman woodworking kit?

Dremel with attachments?
Hand powered shit?
????????
>>
>>981811
Hand saw, claw hammer, second hand corded drill, cheap set of drill bits, chisel, a couple screw drivers, tape measure, set square, pencil, sand paper, paint brush.

That's pretty much all you need.

A Dremel is an expensive tool that has a few niche uses that it's great for, but is marketed to rich home owners with no diy experience as a universal solution to their problems.
>>
>>981821
Oh, and clamps. You can never have too many clamps.
>>
>>981811
If you'r gonna try and hoax people to think your kid is magnetic, maybe not use a copper coin?
>>
>>981893
Most 'copper' coins in the UK are actually steel. Copper became valuable enough at one point people were melting down pennies and 2 pence's to make ingots to take for scrap. So the government changed them so they are now just copper-plated steel.

I'm still sceptical of anything printed in the daily mirror of course, it's a rag, but there's nothing 'incorrect' in the picture if, indeed, the child had become magnetic.
>>
>>981811
>dremel
Die
Grinder
you fucking aspie
>>
>>981906
The human body cannot be magnetic, this is physically impossible.

That kid is just fat. Look everything is just hanging onto his fat by gravity, everything is just placed on his skin at an angle just slightly not vertical enough to fall..
>>
>>981906
>>981912
It is just slightly sticky skin and the angle that prevents them fro falling off. Dust him with talc and nothing would stick.

>>981811
>What is a minimalist poorman woodworking kit?

Wooden/HDPE Mallet
Carving Knife
Gouge
Chisel
Froe
Scraper (glass/metal)
Hide Glue
Crosscut Saw
Miter Box
Pencil
Hand Drill/Brace with Bits
Measuring Tape
Joint Book: The Complete Guide to Wood Joinery by Terrie Noll
Big Pile of Wood

That's all you really need. With that you can make anything else you need. You don't need electricity.
>>
>>981932
Now diy wants to dust little kids with talc.
oh boy
>>
>>981912
Ture.

That kid couldn't be that fat and be that magnet because ever time he tried to eat a meal the fork would end up stuck in his mouth after every bite.
>>
>>981912
>That kid is just fat. Look everything is just hanging onto his fat by gravity, everything is just placed on his skin at an angle just slightly not vertical enough to fall..

He's sticky from all the soda oozing out of his fat pores.
>>
>>981823
you can make clamps out of wood tho
>>
>>981932
>HDPE mallet
You watch Peter Brown, or did you come up with that on your own?
>>
File: hqdefault (1).jpg (13 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (1).jpg
13 KB, 480x360
>>982074
Why would you want to do that when there are the glorious K body revos?
>>
File: push sticks.jpg (75 KB, 994x404) Image search: [Google]
push sticks.jpg
75 KB, 994x404
>>982080
I don't know who that is, but google tells me it is this guy, ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyP7YJ9O3TY ) An HDPE mallet is a common thing to DIY if you're a woodcarver. Since this is /diy/ and a thread about woodworking, it fits that it should be mentioned. There are tons of HDPE DIY stuff you can make.

HDPE Mallets
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6ydNxqHhOE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPBn6RcnRo4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uNvEayXNBU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZZCSjlJ-ts

HDPE push sticks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVsJ2dL5py8
>>
File: HDPE Mallets.jpg (78 KB, 612x816) Image search: [Google]
HDPE Mallets.jpg
78 KB, 612x816
>>982113
I love this one because it is ultra simple and easy:
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18681768
>>
>>981912

I've seen grass become magnetic. You can make anything magnetic with enough voltage.
>>
>>982124
>You can make anything magnetic with enough voltage.
close but no. Every material is inherently slightly influenced by magnetic fields, but whether it repels or attracts depends on the material. Only ferromagnetic materials can be "made magnetic" in the sense that they hold their own field at equilibrium. Everything else only responds to external fields.
>>
>>981811
It's amazing how he loses those amazing powers after a quick shower
>>
>>982129

Well I guess the copper wire my friend had running to his Jacobs ladder was ferromagnetic. But seriously, what about AC induction? What's going on there?
>>
>>981811
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jywFqtZv-qg&index=2&list=PL49oqRPQBaYxUlWEoOhtqlRAxNpCf4m7h
>>
>>982074
It's easier to buy 'em in bulk than to put together 40-odd clamps of wood.
I made about 15 in shop class many moons ago, and decided that I'd rather buy them.
>>
File: image.jpg (52 KB, 271x271) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52 KB, 271x271
A table saw will instantly bump you up to the next level.

Even the cheap, portable ones will do you good.
>>
>>982094
I've worked with those, they are quite nice to use. Very easy to square shit up with.
>>
>>982189
It would require something like an iron core in a transformer to induce. Google this shit anon.
>>
>>981811
Table saw.

seriously. don't even begin to try to fucking go the handtool route. it has taken me 5 years. to even get somewhat close to being able to rip my own panels.. in concept ripping a 1 inch thick piece. 16 inches wide, 5 foot long. into two half inch pieces, with a panel saw..

table saw will just make your life hell of a lot easier. good wood working is about how straight of a cut you can start out with. its 2016. just get a tablesaw.
>>
>>981940
next baby oil
>>
Entry level shit:
A hammer
A 1/2" corded drill(seriously the extra money you'll spend on a decent cordless setup can be used to get better tools now and a corded drill doesn't have the same torque drop off like a cordless one after you near the low battery level and most drills that include a battery only include one so you'd have to either get a quick charge setup or buy multiple batteries)
A set of drill bits get one with a decent case that fits in the drill case so you don't have to go and look for them every time you need them
A set of screw drivers
One rip hand saw and one cross cut hand saw(just get the cheapest that can be sharpened) or a bow saw
A cheap set of chisels
Either a 600/1200 grit dmt diasharp stone one of each 400 or 600 and a 1200 dmt, with regular use they last a long as fuck time just make sure you get the ones with grit all over not the ones with openings they are really annoying if you use a sharpening jig that rolls on the surface of the stone
Get a cheap sharpening jig the vise kind work decently for the price
Some files: flat, round and triangular both big and small of each shape, you can always buy different shapes when you need them
Some rasps of different shapes
A brass brush to clean theel files and rasps
Some lemon oil(for lubing the saws planes and stopping rust) or pretty much any kind of woodworking oil from a hardware store
A cheap angle brush for dusting and getting chips out of small places so you don't have to keep blowing dust in your face
A decent shop vac

Maybe a small low angle block plane( don't waste your time with the super cheap ones they are a pain in the ass the steel is low quality and you need to true the sole a lot and the blade sucks the unholy balls of satan)
>>
>>982297

Holy shit i fucking for got fucking clamps, get 2-4 of 12 inch 24 inch and 36 inch clamps, you'll will run out of clamps half way through a glue up and have to use have shit on top of you project get them now so that shit doesnt happen.

Starting hobbyist level include the entry level shit
A number 4 smoothing plane( any brand will work and getting a used one is a awesome option just make sure the sole isn,t thin cracked or chipped or rusted through, true the sole and sharpen the blade slap some oil on the bottom and start planing)
A 250 grit dmt diamond stone for truing
A leather strope and polishing compound
A cirular saw
A drill press this is where you shouldn't be a jew and get the cheapest one get a good one wait for a sale if you have to you don't need an industrial one but you donct want to have to upgrade it because in a year the shit is falling apart or it doesn't have the power or capacity to work with bigger bits without slowing down and burning through
Some cheap end metal working end mills for your drill press in standard sizes they are great for cleaning up mortises you drilled out
Maybe look into a decent impact driver
Maybe a contractor table saw i wouldn't get a portable one unless you don't have a lot of space, if you plan on taking woodworking seriously as a hobby either hold off getting the table saw or get a used one you'll sell when you out grow it(bring a piece of hardwood with you if they don't let you make a test cut to see if the saw is fucked up or not, just walk away)
>>
>>982304
For anything higher you should start to know what you need, i also forgot a square or two and maybe a bevel gauge

But usually you either go one of two routes traditional(hand tool) or modern (power tool), some hand tools work quicker than power tools but they require more skill and dexterity to use them properly, but some power tools make more repeatable results without requiring a ton skill if they are quality tools

Honestly once you step out of the super cheap tool for home owners/entry level hobbyists, you'll find the tools fight you less and it'll be eastlier to get used to them, just get what you need now and wait for stuff to go on sale or when you need it for a project

Practice both using power tools and hand tools using hand tools quickly makes you learn about feeling the grain of the wood when making cuts or planing. And working with power tools especially power saws shows you the importace of proper marking and layouting cuts
>>
>>982308
Donct forget a decent workb bench with a decent vise to save your fingers
>>
File: $_3[1].jpg (43 KB, 481x500) Image search: [Google]
$_3[1].jpg
43 KB, 481x500
>>982248
>Posts shit-tier Asian garbage Craftsman saw.
>Doesn't post vintage made in America Craftsman 100 that can be had on Craig's List for $50-$100.
>>
>>982363
The problem is sometimes they are wrecked or the table is rusted to shit or warped or the motor is fucked to hell and needs to be replaced anyways

If you find one that works and isn't in too bad of shape for $100 get it just don't rely on it and. Being a eurofag means he probably won't find old american made power tools unless they were imported and chances are people buy them up as quick as them pop up

And who the hell has time to waste keeping an eye on the classifieds to when one does come up? So yea the shitty $100 tablesaw might be a half way decent option in that shitty situation where you need something now and cheap honestly tough just rent a decent portable one when you need one until you can afford a decent table saw
>>
>>982363
>Get good tools on craigslist/yardsale/estate sales
Never ever seen a good tool any of these places in So Cal. They're all scalped already or they are smart enough to ebay them.

The best I've gotten is a belt drive 80s craftsman table saw for free with no fence.
>>
>>981906
In the US, it's just copper coated zinc now

It's a poor man's welding stick here,
Blowtorch, a few pennies, and you can crappily fuse any two pieces of metal together... Until it breaks
>>
>>981910
Nothing rhymes with grinder in that?
>>
>>982374
Paid $50 for a Craftsman 100 about 3 weeks ago. Came with 3 table extensions, 2 fences, 1 HP motor (thats usable HP, not 'peak' HP like motors are rated now), and a shop made stand. This is in NorCal though. Sorry mate.
>>
>>981811
>>981893
>>981906
>>981912
>>981932
>>981940 yes
>>981942
>>982058
>>982124 and you can fry anything with enough voltage too
>>982129
>>982149
>>982189
>>982294

https://youtu.be/OTVWMY8EZCA
>>
>>981821
a dremel can be pretty useful for cutting holes into stuff and shortening bolts and whatnot

not many more uses beyond that

one thing i find pretty useful is a cordless drill/screwdriver with a torque limiting clutch
those things are damn useful for assembling things
>>
File: philips_head_screwdriver_Horz.png (35 KB, 708x156) Image search: [Google]
philips_head_screwdriver_Horz.png
35 KB, 708x156
>>982451
I too find a cordless screwdriver very darn useful in assembling things.

A cordless saw, cordless hammer, cordless clamps, cordless glue, and cordless nails and screws are also all very damn useful in any woodworking kit.
>>
I want to make my girlfriend a makeup box. Is there such thing as a place where I can go in and learn to make my own like woodshop in highschool? I don't have access to any powertools besides a screwdriver and maybe a saw
>>
>>982636
See if a local community college has a shop class most do, but they are mostly for welding.

I only k ow of one place and it's in the san francisco but you have to take classes to use the machines i mean like take classes to be allowed to use the machines. . .

If you don't currently have the skills i don't think you'll produce anything worthy to be a gift for a loved one unless you're planning something for next year what you can learn to cobble together even in a few months really won't turn out too well, honestly find a local woodworker and have them make it if you don't have at least 6 months of lead time

You can also look at online classifieds and see if anyone local offers classes
>>
>>982297
Seconded on the corded drill tip, any cordless drill under the $135 range is going to be borderline useless and more expensive than its corded competitors anyway. For light hobbyists, cordless is for the most part a waste, and the fact that batteries have a relatively short lifespan (my professional-grade Milwaukees are generally 4-6 year batteries at $100 each) is another bad point for a light hobbyist.

Ryobi and similar brands have sets of good wood bits for a few bucks, go to a Home Depot, don't buy anything from Walmart, it's all throwaway. Work gloves are the only thing I buy there, and even then I think it's still a bit more expensive than the same thing at Home Depot.

>>982248
As cool as they are, they're kind of a limited-use application, especially the cheap portable ones. Between the two, I'd choose a decent miter saw any day. Much easier to get smooth cuts and perfect angles, and takes up far less room.

One of the shops I used to work at had a Milwaukee panel saw, and holy hell that thing was nice. Perfect right-angle cuts down an 8' board with no effort or muscle, in a matter of seconds. Expensive and ridiculously large, though.
>>
>>981811

>Magnet

Lot of iron in coins.
>>
>>981893
Most human magnetism can be cured with soap and a shower.

Fat fuck needs to unsticky himself.
>>
>>981910
Die grinders generally have 1/4 inch collets, dremels have approx 1/8 inch collets. The attachments aren't interchangeable. And dremels tend to be more controllable than bulky electric die grinders, and an air compressor is an added cost (but one is invaluable for word working after you've become spoiled).

Dremel attachments have more generic options than die grinders, and even the generic dremels are alright. More budget friendly.

That being said I rarely use dremels anymore, and it's mostly for smooting holes in aluminum boxes. I haven't used one on wood in years, since my technique and collection of tools has greatly improved.
>>
>>982113
>>982113

>HDPE Carvers Mallet

FUCK, Not that video again. Now I'm gonna be looking for the intro music track for fucking weeks in vain.

Goddamnit.
>>
>>983342
Most of the intro music is one-off stuff. You need to contact the person who made the youtube vid.
>>
>>982386
randy is fucking great.
>>
>>981823
Wholeheartedly agree. The more clamps the better, clamps all day and all night. Buy lots of clamps.
>>
>>982363
I've owned this very table saw for a few years. Honestly for the money you can't get that better of a saw. I paid about $250 for it and it's packed with features, comes with legs and is pretty durable. It's only drawback is the miter slot isn't universal and it can only do a 1/2" dado. Most craftsman power tools are still made here in America but with foreign parts like every other power tool, the majority being rebranded Ryobi, Dayton or T&O. It's well worth the money.
>>
>>981821
This is basically what I started with.
Eventually you're really gonna want a table saw, mitre saw, circular saw.

Not for fine woodworking, but if you're building stuff in the house and putting in lots of screws, a cordless impact driver also becomes indispensable.
>>
>>981821
>broke ass regular diy'er
>have literally used my dremel for hundreds of things and it is my most used power tool bar none

UWOTM8?
>>
>>985499
>everything I do looks like prison whittled garbage
>b-b-but all i need is a dremel brand dremel guys!

tinsnips, a decent drill, a saw, chisel ,tape measure, hammer and a bit set for same price will get way more mileage
>>
>>985502
true, but they can't handle it tbqh
>>
>>983342
Other way- by Otis McDonald http://youtu.be/hzElkiyNBgo

>Open comments
>Ctrl+f "song" or "music"
>???
>profit
>>
>>985926
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNmxxpPXzL8
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.