[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is there any good guide on how to change ps/2 keyboard to usb?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 8
is there any good guide on how to change ps/2 keyboard to usb?
>>
File: image.jpg (66 KB, 500x391) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
66 KB, 500x391
>>981445
>>
>>981446
this anon is tricking you, the green adapters are for mice. you need a lavender adapter for keyboard
>>
>>981446
tbf, those are the $1 specials - they aint 'converting' anything, they just changing the cable wiring from PS" USB - but will actually work with some things, surprisingly.

more expensive ($10 - $15) - Belkin etc. - will actually convert signal format. Check AMZ reviews or whatever b4 buying, but /diy/ is a bit stoopid at this price, easier buyfagging.
>>
>>981446
yeah i know about converters but was wondering if there is a permanent solution that isn't too difficult.
>>
>>981449
>permanent solution that isn't too difficult
Unless you live on mars or have a hilariously well stocked components bin, just buying one is the easier solution.
>>
>>981453
another sad moment that i realized i am not living on mars
>>
PROVE it's PS/2.
>>
>>981449
>if there is a permanent solution
Are you looking for a final solution?
>>
Just enjoy your PS/2 Model M senpai. They're neat.
>>
>>981486
but my laptop dosen't like purple cylinders >_<*
>>
>>981446
These wont work with old keyboards that need a certain amount of power. Model Ms wont even work on all motherboards with PS/2 because they are too weak

You need an "active" PS/2 to USB adapter. They are more expensive, and only some work with power hungry keyboards. You gotta really check reviews so you dont buy a shit one.
>>
>>981464
As opposed to a terminal model M?

Why would he be lying about having the more popular of the two?
>>
>>981449
My advice, buy the adapter. See if it actually works for you. If it does, look at how they are wired and replicate it.

Seems like a lot of extra work when you could just tape or glue the adapter in place and deal with the added 1 inch.
>>
File: Pinout PS2 - USB.jpg (132 KB, 1600x951) Image search: [Google]
Pinout PS2 - USB.jpg
132 KB, 1600x951
>>981531
This is retarded advice
The pinout takes seconds to find on google, and I already pointed out that its not going to work.
Model Ms take too much power for a passive adapter.

OP isnt going to be building a proper active adapter
>>
File: modelm_usb-001.jpg (34 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
modelm_usb-001.jpg
34 KB, 640x480
>>981445
>pic related
job done.
>>
File: image1+(31).jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image1+(31).jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>981445
If you want a little diy project, look up something called 'soarers converter' for the teensy 2.0/3.0 or arduino micro. It's a programmable solution—I'm using it right now. With it, you can even set up macros. Pic related is my keyboard which is using soarer's converter right now.
>>
File: image1 (51).jpg (1 MB, 2425x2517) Image search: [Google]
image1 (51).jpg
1 MB, 2425x2517
>>981594
You hook it up just like this. It can be made to be external—and thus detachable, or internal and 'permanent'.
>>
File: 20160420_173827.jpg (2 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160420_173827.jpg
2 MB, 5312x2988
>>981445
Seriously, it was like $10 and has worked great for years. Made in China even.
>>
>>981677
>at101w

why
>>
>>981700
Wow. You are correct. I looked it up after you mentioned the model number, and I had no idea how deep the collectors get in to old keyboards.

To answer your question, it was free and I like the clicky sound. This is what most people's keyboards were like back in the windows 3.1/95 days. It's kinda nostalgic to me.
>>
>>981700
Now you've peaked my interest. Are you a collector? What should I be keeping my eyes open for? The company I work for may have a few older keyboards sitting around in some drawers. How do I know if I found a good one?
>>
>>981489
Actually your laptop's touchpad and keyboard are connected through internal PS2. They don't look like round plugs but they use the same protocol.

Anyhow, USB<->PS2 does the trick. You need to buy it or you should be able to get around with a soldering iron and solder an usb plug to the keyboard cord. Google the pinout.
>>
>>981445
I once walked a friend through doing this over the phone.
Find the pinouts for usb and ps/2, and match up the connections that are the same. iirc I had him tie the clock into ground.

It was pretty straight forward, but keep in mind that ps/2 wire colors often were not standardized so there is no telling what you will see when you cut it open.
>>
>>981575
>>981677
If you are going to buy a converter, buy this one. The blue/purple cube is known for actually working well when a lot of others do not work well if at all.
>>
>>981702
>>981712
the at101w variation you have has complicated black alps switches in them. They are not clicky, they are tactile. You mostly hear the clack of you keycaps bottoming out.
Here is a comparison, the Alps you have most closely resemble an MX brown
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp46JeDDTCw

Look up the Model M buckling springs too, its what people thing about when it comes to "clicky" keyboards.

The Dell is not a bad keyboard, but they made a ton of them and nobody really respects most Alps keyboards in general. You do have the variation with the better older switches though. Mine had simplified blacks in it.

People dont like alps because they wear weirdly, they will get gritty or they will have an inconsistent feel between keys because of the leaf springs. And its very hard to repair them.

The market for old keyboards is really weird, they only want very specific ones when there are a ton of great usable ones out there.
A run of the mill Model M will sell for 50-60 bucks. You find a M13 with a trackpoint, you are looking at 250$

Find a keyboard of the 80s-90s era (preferable with ps/2 end) and just slowly press on the keys, you will be able to feel the tactile switches, hear the clicky switches. If you dont feel anything, pop a key off and look. You dont really care about most membrane/rubber dome keyboards. They will feel mushy. The linear switches wont click and wont have a tactile feel, but wont be squishy and will have a good clean resistance.

Even some rubber domes are great keyboards though, like the old IBM KB-9910 and other IBM quiet variants. Not really worth much, but nice keyboards.

I dont collect them or sell them anymore, they kind of stopped showing up around my thrift shops.
I used to use a Model M as my daily driver, but now have a modern tenkeyless Filco keyboard with modern Cherry Blue switches in it. I dont miss having huge monstrosities on my desk.
>>
>>981446

>>981523
>>981541
>Model Ms take too much power for a passive adapter.
Model Ms are a FUCKING KEYBOARD and will not work if you just somehow connect some random PS/2 pins to some random USB pins.

PS/2 is not USB.

The reason the "passive adaptors" you keep banging on about work at all is that the mice themselves implement both USB and PS/2, and detect what they've been plugged into by how the host handshakes with them.

This is not an issue of power requirements.

>>981773
Top kek.
>>
>>981947
Passive adaptors for keyboards exist, and keyboards that implement both PS/2 & USB so that they work with passive adaptors have existed for a long time.

The Model M isn't one of them, of course. Which is why >>981523 gave the correct advice: the OP needs an *active* adaptor, which translates PS/2 signals to USB packets. He is also dead spot on when he says active adaptors may not work with certain combinations of USB hubs & keyboards, because the keyboard may draw more power than the hub can deliver. The Model M family is notorious for power draw, so if you plug it and the active adaptor into a USB port than struggles to deliver a full 500ma, then it may not work at all.
>>
>>981445
Even an active/pseudo active adapter I had wouldn't sustain enough power for a model M (the adapter had mouse and keyboard, so it wasn't a normal pass-through). Plugging the adapter into a hub instead of a normal usb worked fine, despite the same ridiculous OS glitches happening on three or more machines.

>>981812
http://www.pckeyboard.com/

Unicomp literally makes buckling springs on the same technology IBM made them, as in, bought the patents and/or machines.

>>981947
LITERALLY 100% of PS2 ports are USB emulated since around 2007, and USB ports still support direct PS2 connections. which can be disabled in bios. You are beyond retarded.
>>
>>981489
> >_<*
Don't do that on 4chan.
>>
>>981947
>Top kek.
why would my post inspire a kek?
>>
>>982260
Cause it was retarted like you.
>>
>>981971
>somehow a 275ma ps2 port has more power than a 500+ ma Usb port

Dude. The mice and keyboards that come with the 'passive' adapters work because there is a fucking Usb client in the chipset that can tell when it should be ps2 or usb
>>
>>981947
>This is not an issue of power requirements.

Model Ms wont work on real ps/2 ports on mobos that dont supply enough power.
>>
>>981975
Unicomp keyboards feel light and frail compared to real Ms.
Sure its a real buckling spring, but everything else about it is shit.

Also buckling springs are overrated honestly
>>
Kinda related to this, is it possible to convert a usb keyboard to a serial keyboard. I have found an old led text box that has a serial input.
The text has no t been changed in years and i have never seen it turned on, i would love to warn people about the "recent encefalitis outbreak" on the campus and see the panic.
>>
>>982678
The serial input on those (9-pin, joytick type?) is usually for uploading messages via software - it maybe also had a keypad/remote originally. Maybe wrong aso, but, unless thats marked 'keyboard', connecting one may not help any. Look up model no if poss.
>>
>>982262
it worked, unlike you.
>>
>>981449
PS/2 and USB are to completely different protocols. Those converter dongles are basically a single chip with 2 connectors. They might have a cap or 2 but nothing much else. To build your own, you'd basically be doing the exact same thing : one chip, 2 connectors and a few discreet components.

I'm also pretty sure that 90% of the converters use the exact same chip but in a different colour cover.
>>
>>981714
>soldering iron and solder an usb plug to the keyboard cord. Google the pinout.
You seem to have zero clue on how PS/2 works.
>>
>>981975
>LITERALLY 100% of PS2 ports are USB emulated since around 2007, and USB ports still support direct PS2 connections. which can be disabled in bios. You are beyond retarded.
You have got to be joking.
>>
>>981445
They make PS2 to USB adapters, typically they have a PS2 mouse and a PS2 keyboard connector on them. Just get one of those.
>>
>>981445
If you have a normal IBM keyboard, you need to buy an active adapter like>>981575 and not one like>>981446.

In my opinion, the soarer's converter is absolutely overkill for this, since the active adapter costs $10 and the teensy costs $25. The teensy is only necessary for the terminal models, since the active converter won't work.
>>
I'm sorry OP, but while on the topic of keyboards, does anyone either know where to get a small amount of Alps switches or compatibles (preferably white)? My XT compatible keyboard has a few buttons that have stopped working for some reason.
>>
>>983379
Check on a site like GeekHack, you may be able to find someone with a donor board. Or maybe you can find somewhere to buy just a handful of new Matias switches
>>
>>981712
PS/2 keyboards are usually way too common and cheap to be considered collectible. Ive got so many of those I don't bother. AT keyboards (big circular plug) or keyboards for proprietary computers might fetch some interest. I'll say grab a couple ps2 boards at Goodwill for $.50 and resell them to people who think Windows 9x machines are vintage, like the people on /VR/.
>>
>>981449
keep it attached?
>>
>>981975
>USB ports still support direct PS2 connections. which can be disabled in bios
I have no words.

>>982667
Sure, but even on a motherboard that does supply enough power, they won't work when SPLICED ONTO A FUCKING USB PORT USING ONLY WIRES.

That's like splicing an HDMI plug onto a SCART cable, then saying "oh, the reason your HDMI splitter isn't working is that HDMI supplies 250mW, and SCART doesn't".
>>
How about dumpster diving for a usb keyboard i swear those are cheaper than the gas you will use to drive to radioshack since you live in 1995 and have not discovered amazon or ebay.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.