[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Brewing alcohol
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 35
File: FMHK43UFLXYLAFW.MEDIUM.jpg (51 KB, 465x620) Image search: [Google]
FMHK43UFLXYLAFW.MEDIUM.jpg
51 KB, 465x620
What is the easiest way to start brewing alcohol? Doesn't matter the type, beer wine cider, anything. Just something that doesn't taste like shit and gets me drunk. I don't have enough room for a still or anything, I need something cheap and easy.
>>
Wine is the easiest way.
>>
>>980561
Sweet, what's the easiest way to make shitty wine then?
>>
Mead is just honey mixed with water and yeast
>>
>>980565
How do I make it easily then?
>>
File: img_20130719_224123_897[1].jpg (523 KB, 1840x3264) Image search: [Google]
img_20130719_224123_897[1].jpg
523 KB, 1840x3264
>>980576
>How do I make it easily then?

Have you heard about Google? If you are unable to use a search engine then I suggest you give up, go to your local liquor store and buy a bottle of MadDog 20/20 as it will be of much higher quality that what you are capable of.
>>
>>980581
I have been looking up shit on Google but all that involves sanitizing a bunch of shit, which I don't know how to do. A lot of places are just saying pour a cup of sugar in some apple juice and a packet of yeast and then put a balloon over it, let it sit for two weeks and then strain it. Is this safe?
>>
Easy guy.
First thing you need to do is get a trash bag and plug up your toilet tank.
You can try the mess haul or if your in low sec you can steal one from your roommate.
Now you needs some fruit and some socks.
Collect fruit from the mess hall. An orange a day and apple if no oranges are available. Avoid bananas they tend to rot. If you get sugar with you tea steal that too. And finaly you need a few peaces of bread as a source of yeast.
Now put you bread somewhere so it gets lots of air and not too much light. Under your bed is fine. Leave it unitll you see the first signs of mold.
Now you are ready. Put your fruit in one sock and your bread in the other one. and leave them both in your tank. After about 3 days you will be a ble to smell the fine fermentation smell. You can add your sugar now. If you sea a foam forming on your batch remove it and let it sif. After about 2-3 weeks you have a batch of high quality prison wine. Remove the socks and flush about 1/3 of the sediment down the toilet.
Share it with your prison bitch, shower buddy or gang.
Enjoy you cheap ass nigger.
>>
File: 1442666770582.png (82 KB, 960x1023) Image search: [Google]
1442666770582.png
82 KB, 960x1023
>>
>>980589

>sanitize

Just boil it.

People have been drinking alcohol before history books and boiling alone would be a big improvement in sanitization over the methods of yesteryear.
>>
>>980589
I mean, you will make alcohol, but it will be disgusting.
You don't really need to sanitize much. If you use a plastic jug, your brew will taste like ass. If you use baker's yeast, your brew will taste like ass. If you use premade apple juice, your brew will probably taste like ass.
Go get a glass carboy, some proper airlocks, some type of brewer's/alcohol yeast (yeast is bred to survive in higher abv, so your drink is more alcoholic, and is meant to give a drink certain desirable flavours), and go find a simple recipe.
Your easiest options will be a wine (whatever fruit is in season is probably best), mead, or beer (probably from concentrates, but doing a full brew is easy to learn.
>>
Search Making Mead with Amon Amarth

For a slightly better approach, NorthernBrewer sells small-batch 5 gallon beer kits.
>>
>sugar
>100% juice
>yeast (I used bread yeast 99% of the time and it worked fine)
>party balloons

Put sugar and yeast in juice and put the balloon on top. Let it sit 2-3 months, you will be able to tell when it's done.

Used to do this a lot when I was underage, and I only had one sour batch out of over 300 gallons.

That said, stills don't take up all that much room.
>>
>>980589

You will never strain out the yeast, it's better to let it all settle.
>>
>>980560
Get a gallon jug of apple juice, add some yeast, cover the opening with a balloon put a pinhole in the balloon, leave it alone for about 2 weeks, now enjoy your hard cider
>>
>>980740
>>980723
Thanks senpai this is what I was looking for. Gonna get drunk as fuck in 2 weeks desu. Doing this because I am giving up weed and tobacco but still need a vice.
>>
>>980757
You little underage fegt.
Why don't you just have someone buy you some alcohol? Fuck.
>>
>>980757
yyyeah i would do a little more research to make sure you aren't gonna end up with some kinda rotgut or botulism
>>
>>980740
This is going to taste like absolute garbage
>>
>>980560
>I don't have enough room for a still or anything,

then you're not trying.
>>
>>980576
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3jINH1eRo8&list=PL9E2B31D6B53DA1B1
>>
>>980565

Mead is one of the easiest, but it's also one of the slowest unless you're doing a staggered nutrient addition, at which point it's no longer the easiest.

For fire-and-forget simplicity that leads to a (relatively) palatable drink in a (relatively) short period of time, cider in the fashion of >>980740 is probably the easiest to do.
>>
>>980787

(that said, for something that doesn't taste awful, you'll want to do a week or two of primary, 2 or 3 weeks of secondary, and another 2 or 3 weeks of bottle conditioning)
>>
File: alcoholics_synonymous.png (395 KB, 826x798) Image search: [Google]
alcoholics_synonymous.png
395 KB, 826x798
"No room". I assume you got at least 2x2' of floorspace to use for this, or?

Here's my setup anyway.
>>
>>980839
A feflux destilation cooler with a fractining column.
Nice methlab you have there Walter.
>>
>>980848

Don't be like that :(
>>
>>980560
Beer, You can leave it in the fermenter up to a month before bottling just in case you don't get round to it straight away, fuck around with different flavors a lot more, it comes in can kits for dummies or cbf types. But I do recommend a reflux still so if you fuck a brew up you can put it through it
>>
>>980576
Here is my method.
>get a gallon of apple juice. (I like apple, you can use grape, or most anything else.)
>Pour out a glass full and drink it.
>Add two cups of sugar.
>Add a little regular bread yeast
>Put the cap on part way so that gas can escape, or put a balloon over the opening and poke holes in it with a needle.

It should take about two weeks for the yeast to metabolize the sugar to alcohol, and then die out from the toxic levels of alcohol they created.
Now just strain out the shit that collects at the bottom, and you have wine that is cheap, relatively tasty, and will definately get you drunk
>>
>>980761
Because that would be cheating. Also I can make a bunch and sell it now. Any advice for testing it for botulism? Just need to make sure I can consume this stuff.
>>
File: 1420238923733.jpg (2 MB, 1408x3420) Image search: [Google]
1420238923733.jpg
2 MB, 1408x3420
>>980576
mead is great
>>
File: 1461134927387.jpg (27 KB, 500x328) Image search: [Google]
1461134927387.jpg
27 KB, 500x328
>>980646
boiling it kills the alcohol content. at that point you're wasting 2 months to make nasty tasting fruit juice.
>>
>>981584
You boil the containers and utensils before you use them, you Mongoloid, not the product.
>>
>>980563
Google apfelwein.
>>
>>980589
Perfectly fine, don't over think it. Your dishwasher has a sanitize setting.

Avoid juice with preservatives, and get real wine yeast. All in all if you fuck up you're out $3 for everything. You can't die, let your nose be the judge.
>>
>>981508
Why hasn't this underage been banned yet?
>>
>>981734
Because it's more fun to simply spot the faggot virgins
>>
>>980589
>>980646
yeah just fucking boil your kitchen anon
>>
>>980757

You fucking faggot, I clearly said 2-3 months, you are going to make yourself sick as a dog drinking 2 week old half fermented wine still full of yeast.

>>980764

I honestly wouldn't worry about it, my family has been making their own booze for generations, never heard of anyone getting botulism from it.
>>
>>981584
you truly are a fuckin idiot
>>
I recently made a distiller from a pressure cooker and copper tubing. tonight im making my first batch of mango pulp for distilling in a week or 2.
>>
>>980771
>using copper for a still
>top kek
>>
>>980560
You just need:
yeast (bread yeast works but cider yeast from amazon for ~$5 taste way better)
5 gallon bucket or filtered water jug
5 lb sugar
5 gallons motts apple juice (57cents/gallon at big lots, if you use another brand make sure there is no potassium sorbate that prevents fermentation)

Makes 16% alcohol hooch

Clean the bucket with anti-bacterial soap, boil some juice to dissolve the sugar, mix it with the rest of the juice, let it cool, mix in the yeast and put the lid on. Oh and get an airlock, you can just use some tubing glued to a hole in the bucket lid with silicone, with the other end dipped in water to let gas out and keep out bacteria.

Keep it in a room that stays a consistent temperature, like 60 degrees is perfect. Basements work nice. I did it in my dorm room which regularly reached the 90's. After two weeks of fermenting it will start bubbling a lot slower. That's when you take off the lid, use some tubing to siphon everything off the top into another clean bucket while leaving the yeast sludge at the bottom. You let the cider sit for another week or so to let more yeast settle out. It helps if you chill it at this point to put the yeast into hibernation. This can be done with a few bags of ice, a big storage bin or bathtub, and some water and salt. However it's not entirely necessary. After a few siphonings (calling racking) most of the yeast should be mostly settled out. Bottle it up and freeze it for a couple days to kill the yeast or else the bottles will explode as they continue to ferment. Adding potassium metabisulphate at this point helps kill the yeast and is cheap on amazon.
This stuff won't taste great but you can sell it to freshman for $20 a gallon. Let it age for a few months and it actually becomes quite drinkable.

I made 10 gallons for like $25 in my dorm room.
I kind of wish I didn't. I lost a few brain cells that year.
>>
>>982317
I used lager yeast once and the high temperatures apparently caused a sulfury smell in addition to the already repulsive yeast smell that I was totally used to but which kept girls and other human animals from my approaching my room.

The stuff was almost undrinkable, until I researched the symptom and found a common treatment to save the cider is copper. Very tiny amounts of copper. Some people use copper salts but those are super toxic and have to be measured carefully. Some people recommended stirring the batch with a copper water pipe, so I took some copper wire I had and stuffed it into a rubber hose, and siphoned my hooch through it. Voila, it came out the other end smelling only like hard cider.

Brewing is witchcraft!
>>
>>980560
Been doing this since Middle School
The jug is more robust than using a garbage/ziploc bag

https://youtu.be/RWGxmdtybs0
>>
>>981584

Holy shit, you retard. Lol
>>
>>981923
>not using copper
Cu reacts with sulfur compounds that can impart off flavors to the distillate, retard
>>
best and easiest way to make wine is
Sugar Wine (aka Kilju)
All you need is sugar, water and yeast
>>
>>983875
I'd imagine mead, aka honey wine would taste better than wine made with refined sugars
>>
>>983878
Honey is like 10 €/kg.
Sugar is like <1€/kg.
If I was OP I'd rather have 100 l of shitty sugar wine than 10 l of shitty mead, since OP is not going to sanitize anything and is going to end up with a contaminated brew anyway.
And besides, mead takes upwards of 2 moths, sugar wine takes maybe 2 weeks to be drinkable.
>>
just make a sugar mash and invest in one of those shitty air stills.
>>
I have a 5 gallon water jug and a bunch of empty two liters. They work great.

You don't need an airlock if you have a screw on lid. You barely fingertighten the lid, so a little air escapes when you squeeze it. After a day or two the CO2 will have enough positive pressure to keep oxygen out.

I buy 12 ounce cans of 100% juice concentrate, and dump it in a two liter bottle along with half the necessary water. Then I put in a cup of sugar, put the lid on and shake vigorously until the sugar is dissolved. Then I put the rest of the water in.

Listen closely, it is well worth the money to go to a brewery shop or Amazon and buy packets of real wine yeast. It will work faster, and won't make your house smell like a brewery. One 50 cent packet is good enough for 5 gallons according to instructions, but honestly you can do 20 gallons with it just fine if you don't mind waiting an extra week.

After you add the yeast, just wait a minimum of two weeks, four is better. Then it's drinkable. After you pour or rack the wine out of the bottle, you can reuse it without sanitizing the bottle because the alcohol already did and if yeast is the dominant microorganism it's pretty safe. It'll save you yeast. Just drain the bottle, and leave as much sediment in as you can. Then dump in the sugar, juice, water, shake the fuck out of it, and restart.

After doing this a few times if you end up with more sediment that means you have a lot of yeast, which means they will ferment your wine much more quickly.

Here's a good video.

http://youtu.be/SmuH8xWOJv4

Just remember not to tighten the lids all the way.
>>
>>980771
what he means is that he can't hide a still from his parents
>>
can one use 2L bottles?
>>
>>983948
even just 1 week and it's drinkable. would be around 10-15%
>>
File: 20160130_151230.jpg (3 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160130_151230.jpg
3 MB, 5312x2988
>>980565
Imma about to dump a beginners guide on you
>>
File: 20160130_151240.jpg (3 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160130_151240.jpg
3 MB, 5312x2988
>>984410
>>
File: 20160130_151249.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160130_151249.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
>>984411
>>
File: 20160130_151255.jpg (3 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160130_151255.jpg
3 MB, 5312x2988
>>984412 sorry i meant to reply to you
Last one>>980576
>>
File: IMG_20150723_155458:nopm:.jpg (3 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150723_155458:nopm:.jpg
3 MB, 5312x2988
>>984414
My first batch
>>
File: 20151213_175940.jpg (3 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20151213_175940.jpg
3 MB, 5312x2988
>>984415
A cranberry melomel ive been working on
>>
>>984416
Sorry i have no fucking idea why all of the pictures are sideways
>>
>>984398
Why wouldn't you be able to?
>>
>>984426
that's why I asked
>>
>>984428
Well you can

truth be told if you want to be as minimalist as possible, all you gotta do is throw some scoops of sugar and a packet of yeast into the cheapest bottle of 100% grape juice with the most sugar content per serving that you can find.

No need even for balloons or anything. I just buy two big 2L bottles, empty a little into a third to make space, add the sugar and yeast, and leave the cap on but not screwed tight. Let it sit for 2 weeks. Tastes awful but it works fine, if you want prison grog.
>>
>>984429
I should add: This is only for people with no other will or way to get fucked up, by the way. Otherwise you're just drinking shit yeasty hellwine. I did this earlier in the semester, as I'm not 21 and I drink alone in my dorm while shitposting
I strongly recommend you add diet coke to mask the flavor
>>
>>984398
no, it has to be a larger amount, the minimum is 10l. If you use a 2l bottle, the alcohol will exceed the limits of our atmosphere, which will cause the alcohol molecules to fuse together, causing an almost nuclear-like explosion.
>>
>>980839
Some questions:

1) Is this legit?
2) Do you have to cover the first container with the yeast, water and sugar? If so, what method do you use?
3) By "mix in water to 40%", do you mean that the distillate is close to pure ethanol, and that we need to add 1.5 part water to dilute it to 40% ABV?
4) How long does the distillation take?
5) Have you tried adding in flavoring to get that flavored vodka taste(my absolute favorite)?

A step-by-step picture guide would be appreciated if it won't bother you :3
>>
>>984773
my god, thanks for the advance warning

but what would one do with 10L+ of booze
>>
File: Nuclear-Explosion-pictures-85.jpg (29 KB, 700x384) Image search: [Google]
Nuclear-Explosion-pictures-85.jpg
29 KB, 700x384
>>984773
>the minimum is 10l.
Oh shit. I have a 2L and a 4L jug of cider and a 4L of IPA going in the next room.

Well, it's been nice knowing you guys.
>>
>>984885
It's 10l collectively I think it'll be ok
>>
>>984398

I use 2 liter bottles.

It's fine. No need for a balloon or airlock, just make sure the lids loose enough so when you squeeze the bottle air come out. Look at >>984297, that's me.

>>984429

You're full of shit or you didn't sanitize. Even without airlocks I can make wine from 200% grape concentrate that's better than any wine. It's no different from adding vodka to grape juice after it ferments.

People are disgusting and unsanitary by nature. Every burger you eat was made by someone with fecal bacteria on their hands.

The wine I make that you'd call "prison juice" is more sterile than anything you'd get from a restaurant.
>>
>>984870

Conquer the world, of course.

If you can make nuclear bombs with sugar and juice, who can stand against you?

However, beware the risks... getting sprayed by a bunch of carbonated sticky booze is deadly. Open the bottles slowly before you enrich them with plutonium.
>>
>>984977
I don't plan on making more than 1 gallon to start with, see how it turns out from there

I also have a milk jug, might use that as well

how long have you waited before bottling?
did you then put it in the fridge?
(I already have some plastic bottles meant for making beer)

>>984978
I've had practice with dry ice-fruit bottles exploding, so shrapnel is no stranger
>>
Guys, I have a question.
Say I am making Sugar Wine (kilju, which is basically water, sugar, and yeast)
I let it go in the primary fermentation and this lasts only 3 days. There was foam and bubbles on top but 3 days later, all foam and bubbles have disappeared. Looks like from the top now but I see something at the bottom.

At how many ABV% would this be now? I read that primary fermentation is around 70% of alcohol content and the next 30% will happen during secondary fermentation (which takes 1-4 weeks).

How long should I leave the bottle there if I want around 10-15%?

Should I wait for the end of the week before ingesting? Or can I ingest now? And if I ingest now, how much alcohol content would there be approximately? I don't have any measuring kit btw. And I don't want to wait more than 1 week.
>>
>>984991
Depends on the temperature, yeast, and how much sugar but I'd leave it at least a week and preferably two. Just because the yeast is starting to settle doesn't mean it's finished working. I've never made kilju, just beer and cider, but I'd wait til the liquid mostly clears, the yeast settles, and the airlock stops bubbling/balloon deflates if you're using one.

You could probably estimate %ABV of a finished batch from how much sugar you added but you can't really tell where it's at part way through without a hydrometer.

>And I don't want to wait more than 1 week.
You can drink it at any time if you can stand the taste. If it's still sweet you're wasting sugar that never got a chance to grow up and become alcohol. The suspended yeast might give you the shits but it isn't bad for you.
>>
>>984914
That's a relief. Also a close call - I was going to bottle the beer tomorrow, but I better get a gallon of something else started before I do that.

I have all the stuff for a new batch but won't have time to brew it until the weekend.
>>
>>985039
I used 14 cups of water, 3 1/2 cups of sugar, and 1 8g packet of yeast.

I used the halfway screwed cap but I think next time I will use a balloon to see if it's still producing CO2. Can't really tell from a cap.

Anyway, about the suspended yeast. If I pour the liquid into another bottle and try to keep most of the bottom layer of yeast into the old jug, would I still get the shits?
>>
>>985039
Also, how to acquire a better taste? Leaving it longer makes the taste better?
>>
>>985052
Adding koolaid/some sort of drink mix fixes the flavor problem,at least that's what I've heard.
>>
>>985057
hmmm

they have a green apple koolaid but it's more of an appletini flavor
>>
>>985047
There's probably a chart or online calculator that will tell you how much alcohol that potentially makes but I couldn't tell you offhand. And it's not the amount of yeast, some strains ferment faster and have more alcohol tolerance (I've never used turbo yeast but that works really fast). And temperature has a huge effect on how fast the yeast grows.

If you tighten the cap and the bottle swells/gets hard, it's still fermenting, assuming a plastic bottle.

I've drunk stuff early that's still a bit cloudy and I never noticed much tummy problems but they do say yeast is a laxative so I was just warning you. Definitely try to keep the yeast sediment out of what you're drinking though- pouring it off like that will get a lot of it if you're careful and do it all in one smooth pour. If you chill it first that will help more yeast to settle. You can use some of the sludge to start your next batch.
>>
>>985065
Ok, cool. One last question though: When you use a balloon instead of a cap, do you have to put the cap on? Or you just put the ballon? And should you put an elastic around the base of the balloon to make sure it doesn't fly out?
>>
>>985052
Leaving it longer helps with wine, cider and beer, I really don't know about the subtleties of sugar wine. 2 weeks instead of 1 might make it less rough and let more sugar ferment, but it's not like it has any flavor subtleties that need time to develop.

Maybe I'll try a batch just to see what it's all about (and to prevent fermenter explosions from dropping under 10L total).
>>
File: 2016-04-21 23.43.24.jpg (561 KB, 1920x2560) Image search: [Google]
2016-04-21 23.43.24.jpg
561 KB, 1920x2560
>>985068
Just the balloon, like this, with a pinhole in the balloon so it doesn't overinflate and pop. Stays on just fine IME on jugs like this, not sure about 2L pop bottles.
>>
>>985071
But the main process of fermentation (primary) is already completed (Krausen and bubbles have stopped). I don't think there's much need for secondary fermentation if it's just drinking to get drunk. Correct me if I'm wrong
>>
>>985074
Cool. Is there any chance that the balloon pops off? Or it's stuck there? Also how many pinholes? Just 1?
>>
>>985076
I've never had it pop off. That one has 2 holes in it because it's easier to poke 2 thumbtack holes in a balloon against a corkboard than to try to make a single hole in your hand.

Just as long as it can vent CO2... once I put the balloon on without any holes and in a day or so it was as big as a cantaloupe and then making the hole was a little tricky.

>>985075
>I don't think there's much need for secondary fermentation if it's just drinking to get drunk.
I don't either, but having no experience with kilju I don't want to commit myself. I'd also want the most bang for my buck from the sugar if I was drinking to get drunk.
>>
>>985085
Very useful information. Thanks anon
>>
>>980560
I can tell you just want something strong to get you drunk. You should use freezing distillation. Make a simple wine by any of the instructions in this thread, then freeze it overnight. In the morning, remove the ice. This will just about double your alcohol content, so you'll technically be creating a brandy.
>>
>>980589
Ive done that recipe three times when I was in high school. 5 cups sugar and a spoonful of yeast into a 5 gal bottle of apple juice.

Wait two months and you get "cider" (tastes like wine). My first time making it, I had added extra sugar and yeast to increase the alcohol levels. It worked but was pretty hard to down, but it became known in the friend group as fire juice. Also it tastes better when you age it.
>>
>>980560
cider is least likely to go off if you don't want to wait ages for mead. use decent champagne yeast, add an acid like tamarinds or lime juice, maybe a bit of brown sugar for a boos in abv.

buy a hydrometer and an airlock theyre like $5 each

a month of secondary is fine

if you still have dregs after first rack dont be afraid to rack it again

das it mane
>>
>>985193
a billion times this

> glass gallon carboys cost $10 plus shipping
>organic apple juice comes in identical glass bottle for $9 at brick and mortar stores
>buy some corks unless you want to obsessively keep track of lids over the course of a month or two tho
>>
So my primary fermentation is over.
I decided to pour the content into another bottle so I can let it cool off for a bit before drinking and when I was pouring it, I didn't even see any yeast. Not floating in the bottle nor at the bottom of it. Is this normal? I don't know if I should drink it now or what...
>>
>>984988

I'm an alcoholic, I don't bottle my booze.

I drink it.

LOL

If I was gonna bottle... start a stockpile...

I'd buy a couple 5 gallon glass carboys and find a cork that fits.

Bottle in bulk.

It helps wine age better, and if you wanna bottle it in regular wine bottles later, it's still no problem.

Make as much hooch as you can :)
>>
>>985329
maybe I'll find some at garage sales

trying to decide on yeast at the moment, some of them have spiked several dollars very recently to crazy prices compared to normal....I sense it's a conspiracy
>>
can anyone comment on different yeasts for cider?

there's a pretty big list here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=83060 but for just testing the waters, I really don't want to put out $6+ for a single packet

based on some of the recommendations, I think I might add some sweetener before bottling....maybe something else to add flavor as well

assuming one would ferment it for 2 weeks or so, then let it sit for at least a month or two, how long will it keep at room temp before it start to go to vinegar?

(kind of temped to let some go to vinegar to have some for cooking....)
>>
So I just drank my first gallon of sugar wine today... and it was weird.

I drank 2 whole liters of it in maybe the span or 1-2 hours and didn't feel anything. I thought maybe I hadn't fermented well enough and then, all of a sudden, I get this extreme lightheadedness feeling and my legs got numb. It felt as if I had taken too much amphetamine and my heart was beating extremely quick.

I decided to puke myself to get rid of the effect and after puking, I felt sober.

Why did this happen? Is it because I didn't let it ferment enough? I only let it ferment for 4 days before drinking...
>>
If I had used a plastic carboy (it was actually a 4L water bottle), can I re-use it for my next batch? Someone told me the bacteria gets stuck in the plastic and that you should buy another bottle. Wat do?
>>
>>985589
>I drank 2 whole liters of it in maybe the span or 1-2 hours
that's seems like a really stupid idea regardless of what you were trying to make
>>
>>985589
>>985592
Is it normal for Kilju to be slow to react though?
>>
>>985589

You felt weird because that's a fucking lot of sugar water. And after 4 days it would have been the strength of light beer, depending on how much yeast you used.

Ferment grape juice instead. One cup of sugar per gallon, 2 weeks fermentation at least, 4 weeks and its practically perfect.
>>
>>985637
But shouldn't all the sugar turn into alcohol?
Which means there's almost no more sugar at the end of the fermentation?

And say I used 3 1/2 cups of sugar for 14 cups of water and 8g yeast.
>>
>>985644
Yeah but it sounds like you didn't wait til the end of the fermentation. If you're >>985265 it definitely wasn't ready yet, there should be something like a cm of yeast at the bottom of the fermenter. If it's still sweet it isn't finished.

>And say I used 3 1/2 cups of sugar for 14 cups of water and 8g yeast.
How fast it ferments mostly depends on the temperature, also on the strain of yeast. If you keep it somewhere warm it'll go fast, but if it's cool it'll go really slowly.

>>985591
Bacteria gets stuck in scratches in the plastic and plastic is easy to scratch when you clean it. They do sell reusable plastic fermenters though. You can try but you should sanitize it, not just clean it.

>>985562
Lalvin EC-1118 (champagne yeast) is a decent place to start. CAD$2 at my local homebrew shop and one pack will do a few gallons.

>>985562
I don't know how long it will keep but if you want to make vinegar you can add mother of vinegar:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother_of_vinegar
>>
I have a question about primary fermentation.
Is it when the yeast falls to the bottom that primary fermentation is done?
>>
>>985085
just put a piece of tape on an inflated balloon and then it won't pop when you make the hole
>>
File: phil's beer.jpg (480 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
phil's beer.jpg
480 KB, 1024x768
>>985952
No. Primary is in the original container where you pitched your yeast and get the thick sludgey layer of sediment on the bottom. Secondary is where you pour your brew into a fresh clean container and continue to ferment a bit *without* the yeast sediment. I don't bother any more. Yes, it makes a slightly clearer brew. No, I can't taste the difference.

>>986046
A water lock costs like $5, anon.
>>
>>986050
So that means when you get the sludge at the bottom, it means primary fermentation is done?
Because mine it's been fermenting for 5 days now but I still see no sign of sludge at bottom...
>>
>>986052
What are you making? Most ales, the primary ferment takes as little as 24 hours but you're retarded if you don't give it at least 10 days to finish the job.
>>
Mash up some apples and put them in a bag, add yeast if you feel like it. After about 8 days you have something that tastes like wasabi and dirt but gets you fucked.
>>
>>980560
Applejack is incredibly easy to make. If you don't mind it being a little rough, you don't even need any special tools or containers. Get a bucket, some apples, a bag of sugar, and a packet of bread yeast. Smash up the apples; putting them in a bag and jumping on them is fine. Dump them in the bucket with the sugar and yeast. Fill the bucket with warm water (this is important -- cold water will shock the yeast and kill it), cover the top with a piece of cardboard, and wait. Depending on how much sweetness you want left, it'll take between two weeks and a month. Then just strain, chill to deactivate the yeast, and serve. If you let it settle out for a while it'll be less yeasty. You should get about 10%-15% ABV depending on the yeast you used. And it'll be rough, but drinkable.

If you want something stronger, use freeze distillation. Put the applejack in the freezer and let half of it freeze solid. Throw the ice away and put it back in the freezer. Let it freeze halfway again, and throw the ice away. You'll probably get it up to about 30%-40% ABV, but it will be full of fusel alcohols and methanol, so it will give you one fucking miserable hangover if you drink too much.
>>
>>986053
Making kilju.
Okay, and I know I have to wait around 1-2 weeks for primary fermentation, but I'd just like to know if the falling of dead yeast is a sign that primary is done
>>
>>986059
Never heard of it.

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilju

Bleah. Sounds fucking awful. I'd give it the full two weeks regardless. And no, merely building up yeast sediment is not a sign that primary is finished. If you want to know for sure you'd have to get a hydrometer. I have one, but I never use it any more. Just give it a good long ferment and make sure the temp stays stable, or it'll taste even worse than it probably already does.
>>
File: just a picture of some apples.png (38 KB, 900x847) Image search: [Google]
just a picture of some apples.png
38 KB, 900x847
>>986052
No. You should start getting sludge right away. You know the primary is done when the specific gravity stops changing from day to day, if you don't have a hydrometer you can guess it's more or less done when airlock activity stops, if you aren't using an airlock it's when the liquid clears (it should get all cloudy during primary).

Sounds like a stuck fermentation, was the water hot when you pitched the yeast? If it's too hot it can kill it. Could be they need more yeast nutrient as well, which is one reason it's better to use fruit juice.

>>986058
>Put the applejack in the freezer
Technically it's not applejack (which means jacked apple) until you take it out of the freezer.
>>
>>986050
>A water lock costs like $5, anon.
$2, but I was already using all of mine, it's a mile walk to the brewing store and anyway they're closed mondays.
>>
I havent read up but.

1) Look on craigslist for some old beer brewing kit. You maybe able to find one for $20. Its the kind of the thing people get into and give up right away.

2) buy some no rinse sanitizer. Dilute some into a old coke(any old bottle) bottle.

3) buy beer kit (coopers is good) and some dextrose (sugar) also carbonation drops would be great.

4) clean every thing up with water. Rinse with sanitiser. Heat up water mix kit with water anx then sugar. Leave sit until room temp.

5) poor cooled beer mixture into container then fill container up with tap water. About 22 litres is the usual amount the beer kits are filled to.

6) put in yeast. Fill bubbler with some of the sanitiser from the coke bottle. Leave container to sit some where out of sunlight for 3 to 4 weeks.

7) bottle. Sanitise bottles by rinsing with the diluted sanitiser. Just reuse the same sanitiser for all the bottles. Add carbonation drops. And put the lid or cap on.

8) wait another 4 to 6 weeks before sampling.

Takes ages but turns out well. I havent explained every thing but this gives you a rough idea about making beer with a beer kit.
>>
>>986193
The Coopers beer kits come with everything.
Instruction DVD, brew can, yeast, brew kit, bottles, brew enhancer, carbonation drops, thermometer strip, mixing spoon, test tube, hydrometer, log book, bottling valve.

They've just made DIY beer so easy.

I just made 22 liters of Ale for under $30.
Usually it costs $32 - $34 for a 24pack of generic beer.
>>
>>980581

hes obviously 15
>>
File: img_16691.jpg (292 KB, 820x547) Image search: [Google]
img_16691.jpg
292 KB, 820x547
>>986719
>They've just made DIY beer so easy.
Easiest is to just buy ready made wort. Costs a bit more but you still avoid alcohol taxes which here in Ontario are most of the cost of the beer.

I got started with picture related (brews and carbonates in the 2L bottle with a pressure relief cap, pretty neat system) which actually made pretty good microbrew quality beer before they started mass marketing it to yobbos at TSC and discontinued all their dark beers. Even then it was better and cheaper than cheap beer from the store. They seem to be out of business now though.

Thinking of getting a 5 gal batch of Festa Brew wort so I'll have some bulk swill to guzzle in the summer (I can only make all-grain a gallon at a time with the pot I have).
http://www.magnotta.com/Festabrew/

Even BIAB all-grain isn't difficult if you're methodical and follow the instructions.
>>
Not sure if this was already posted but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvVtw2PKCyY

>sugar
>water
>Russian turbo yeast

Bam, vodka in a week.
>>
>>986058
If my understanding of the process is correct, don't you need to chill it to something like -20F to achieve 30% ABV?
>>
>>986788
A bit colder
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?s=7b324942fc6c5f1616114899cb7d5c4d&p=2599921&postcount=6
>>
Anyone able to recommend a good internet supplier for malt grain? Something that doesn't charge you out the ass for shipping?
>>
>>984773
can confirm, happened to my brother, he died and survived
>>
>>986788
>>986798
Traditionally, people left barrels of applejack buried in the ground through the winter. The repeated freezing and thawing would make the water purer and purer and make the remaining liquid higher and higher in alcohol content. Repetition can do the work of lower temperatures.
>>
>>986849
I don't think that makes it stronger, you just lose less applejack trapped in the ice crystals. it's a bitch getting the liquid out if you try to make it overnight in your freezer.
>>
>>986889
The less applejack is trapped in the ice crystals, the purer the crystals are. The purer the crystals, the more water you're removing and the stronger the concentration of alcohol left behind.
>>
>>986735
We don't have that in New Zealand.
>>
>>986985
If you mean the 2L brew-in-a-bottles, we don't have them here anymore either (but I saved my pressure caps). If you mean the wort packs, google says yes you do.
>>
>>987030
Not the same brand, I guess my post was unclear, but I googled "new zealand brewing wort" and got a few different sources.
>>
>>987030
That's more than double the price of a brew can, enhancer, carbonation drops and extra dextrose.
>>
>>987065
I said it was the easiest way, not the cheapest way, and you get better beer than from a can.
>>
Split a packet of bread yeast between 2 half gallons of grape juice. Put the cap back on the jugs and tighten it down in a couple days when the foam gets under control. When the cap is tight, vent the co2 once or twice a day. After 4 weeks you will have a fizzy wine with the etoh content of beer. I did this a lot when I was *younger* but I rarely shared it because my peers were retarded and thought I was making poison. Their loss, I got shitty drunk all the time and they masturbated
>>
>>985153
You're creating a hangover is what your doing
>>
File: PA170007.jpg (53 KB, 450x600) Image search: [Google]
PA170007.jpg
53 KB, 450x600
>>987177
A headache at any rate. Freeze distilling takes more work than that. He's just going to end up with a bottle full of slushy ice and maybe half a teaspoon of free liquid. You have to let it drain upside down and partly melt until the ice is clear, and repeat, until it stops making ice.
>>
>>980603
I have done this, it is a god-tier method. Comes out like a mixture of smegma and kombucha but with the kick of a brandy. Strain it through a burlap sack and enjoy.
>>
16+ gals of floral-ass IPA, 5 gals of milk stout (racked, final conditioning) all the bottles are a mix of sour brown ale and Porter, and the irregular shaped bottle is whiskey
>>
File: IMG_20160502_050042.jpg (790 KB, 1944x2592) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160502_050042.jpg
790 KB, 1944x2592
16+ gals of Floral IPA, 5 gals of milk stout, 120 bottles of sour brown ale and porter, and the irregular bottle is whiskey
>>
>>985632
Nah, it's alcohol. Your problem was that you drank it while it was fermenting, meaning you had a fuckload of sugar and yeast with a dash of alcohol. Let it ferment through and it'll be like any booze.
Kilju has gotten generations of Finnish punks and students drunk, it'll work.
For a reference on how to make it, check this: https://vimeo.com/74005653
>>
Cider is the easiest.

Get aple juice and leave it open with a cheese cloth over it
>>
File: Untitled.png (12 KB, 852x231) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
12 KB, 852x231
What the mother-effing, c-ing ess-ing, effing k-ing eff is going on with the price of yeast?

it freaking doubled since when I was looking at it before
>>
Just started making my wine a week ago. I bought a fast ferment. It's a conical plastic fermenter so the yeast naturally falls to the bottom where I can remove it. Don't have to mess with siphoning, primary or secondary. It's all done right there. I used Apple raspberry 100% concentrate flavor from Walmart. 10lbs of sugar and a around 4 gallons of water. Making around 6 gallons or 30 bottles. SG started at 1.112 and I'm thinking I'm gonna end it around 1.01 or 1.008ish so it still has sweetness. Add potassium sorbate and clearing agent and get around a $20 bottle of wine. I have around $20 in all 6 gallons. Not bad.
>>
>>980560
water, yeast and sugar.

get drunk
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (36 KB, 608x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
36 KB, 608x1080
>>981580
Do you think yousing an air lock like pic would work like a balloon?
>>
File: HitomiVSKokoro.jpg (3 MB, 2120x3000) Image search: [Google]
HitomiVSKokoro.jpg
3 MB, 2120x3000
I'm new to the home brewing scene. I don't drink, but my mother does for two, and so does my future old lady. I wanted to save money on booze, and so I followed this link about simple home-made cider.

The tutorial, however, it's quite brief. Is there something missing in it? Is it ok to reuse wine bottles?

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2014/04/22/brew-your-own-cider/
>>
>>990288
As long as you don't put a sparkling wine in a bottle that isn't made for sparkling wine, it should be okay. The internal pressure is a lot higher. Also, you should sterilize the bottle before putting anything in it.
>>
>>990288
Don't use wine bottles for carbonated drinks. Use beer bottles, soda bottles or sparkling wine bottles OR make applewine instead of cider. The reason for this is that wine bottles are generally not designed to contain a lot of pressure, and you might get bottle bombs using them.
>>
>>990316
>>990362
Roger that. Thanks for the answers!
>>
>>984977
>Even without airlocks I can make wine from 200% grape concentrate that's better than any wine.

... ... ...

Ummm, OK there, friendo. I guess everyone buying wines from Napa, Bordeaux, Chianti, etc are all chumps.
>>
>>990362
very good point. Plastic bottles will deform and you can catch it early if you fuck up
>>
Well, i've waited around 2 weeks for my Sugar Wine to ferment and I just tested it today: still tastes sugary as fuck. but when I smell it it smells almost like vinegar. well fuck
>>
>>991107
Apparently you didn't use an airlock and its spoiled.
>>
>>991340
I used the halfway locked cap. Can't afford an airlock. I'll use balloon next time tho.
>>
>>991650
>Can't afford an airlock
literally less than 2 dollars. why is there so many people who refuse to buy airlocks?
>>
>>982321

The symptom was you used lager yeast. Lager yeast need to be at around 50 degrees during fermentation.
>>
File: 1462846987823.jpg (66 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1462846987823.jpg
66 KB, 640x640
>>991666
Sorry Satan, not that anon, but I live in a country where this is not an usual hobby and I need to order from China or US.
Not a big deal, but balloons work and are already at hand.
I ordered a few for my first batch of mead
>>
Our keg isn't carbonating the beer fully, if at all. What are we doing wrong?

Octoberfest beer, ~25psi 5gal corney
>>
>>982321

Brewing is alchemy, not witchcraft!
>>
>>991733

At what temperature are you storing it and for how long have you been force carbing it?

I usually do 24 hours @ 40psi and then lower the pressure down to serving. This method gives me my preferred carbonation level in about a week but it's ready a couple of days after starting.
>>
>>988261

When you say floral, is it the brand or does it have a floral taste similar to Hoegaarden?

Most of the IPA's I've sampled over the years were closer to a straight bitter, more nutty than floral.

I'd definitely be interested in trying some of that ;D
>>
>>980581
I applaud you, 13 year old edgelord
>>
>>980560
Regarding cleaning equipment, do it in three steps to ensure full cleanliness on a budget.

>1 Soap and water
Use normal soapy water and a sponge or something, scrub the counters you'll be working on, the tools you'll be using and the container you will brew in, as best you can.

>2 Chlorine - dissolvant, antibacterial
you can use bleach (chlorine + water) to do a second pass. This stinks until it evaporates.

>3 Chlorhexidine - bactericidal/fungicidal
This stuff is used in mouthwash and to clean wounds. It destroys the cell walls of bacteria, and is used to "really clean" surfaces in hospitals, laboratories etc. Food safe as long as you buy food grade and dry well. Don't rinse unless some oldfag calls me a faggot and says to rinse.
>>
Do the experienced brewers here have a preference between 3 piece and bubbler type airlocks?
>>
HEY I NEED ADVICE

I've got 1.75 liters of 100% grape juice with a cup of sugar added to it fermenting.

I have packets of Cote des Blancs wine yeast and each packet can do 5 gallons, so I only added half a teaspoon to it.

But I didn't want to wait 4 weeks, so I added 4 tablespoons of bread yeast.

How long until it's done?

It looks like shit, honestly... It's an ugly pale purple/blue and real cloudy. Been fermenting 4 days. I've got some bentonite to clear it with.

Will it be done in two weeks? One? It's got a LOT of yeast.

Will the bread yeast consume all the nutrients and leave the actual winemaking strain nothing to work with after the bread yeast craps out?

How'd I do?
>>
>>992116
>But I didn't want to wait 4 weeks, so I added 4 tablespoons of bread yeast.

the advice; don't do that
>>
>>991828
Seriously? Chlorine taints the hell out of the brew and if you somehow wash it all away you're back to square one while chlorhexidine tastes like soap. Campden tablets are cheap and the sulphur dioxide dissipates without issue or creating funky subcompounds. Apart from Campden tabs, the only other disinfectants that're good for brewing are steam and hydrogen peroxide followed by heat to beak down the remnants.
>>
>>992116
Bread yeasts don't generate that much alcohol and they die easily. Adding extra yeast will only marginally improve the start time, brewing will still take basically as long because the yeast multiply so even adding 8 times as much only decreases startup time by 3 generations (6 hours at most, consider that brewing takes days without some Frankenstein fast yeast)
>>
>>992060
I don't think there is any difference beyond appearance. Though if you get a late blowout bubbles are easier to clean
>>
>>992126
I find those block if the blowout is serious but that is quite rare.
>>
>>992123

I've noticed turbo yeasts come in HALF POUND packets and you add the whole thing...

So I think it's safe to say that quantity does dramatically reduce fermentation time.

Also I'm making kilju, it's just sugar, yeast, and water...

The Finns say it'll be fine with no nutrients but I'm not sure. Any thoughts?
>>
>>992139
That's because it's also fragile and a lot of that is starter nutrients/growth factors. Yeast doubles every 1-2 hours so there's a point of diminishing returns, turbo yeast is just added in greater quantity because the brewing time is so short that there's actually an impact on reducing the establishment time. If the strain is the same, particularly for a slow yeast, you won't see much difference for adding more.

Nutrient requirements depend on the strain and sugar source. Bread yeast is only good for bread and pruno.
>>
>>989533
Yes. The balloon is a poor mans airlock.
>>
>>992145

Dude, kings drank wine made from wild yeast on grape skins and yeast from people's FEET for thousands of years... And you're saying bread yeast is only good for bread and pruno?? I used bread yeast my first brew and it was good.

>>992148

I stopped using airlocks. Booze has been made for millennia without airlocks. It's not a necessity for someone just starting out. I use two liter bottles and I leave the cap a touch looser than finger tight so co2 can escape, and it works great.
>>
>>991107
>>991107
Give up on the sugar wine and listen to experience. If you'd used apple juice spiked with sugar and an airlock like we told you, you'd have memory gaps and a hangover by now and another batch almost brewed, not shitty vinegar. Hell i've brewed and drunk a couple gallons of ghetto cider and a nice all grain IPA since this thread started.
>>
>>991107
infected
>>
>>991733
Shake that fucker up
>>
>>991828
I just wash with sodium percarbonate and then sanitize with starsan.

Don't fear the foam.
>>
HEY GUYS

I need to know if you can make beer from regular store bought flour

No hops, no additives, not in grain form... plain all wheat beer from flour.

It must be possible, right?
>>
>>992332
no, go be underaged elsewhere.
>>
File: Fermenter.jpg (60 KB, 450x800) Image search: [Google]
Fermenter.jpg
60 KB, 450x800
>>992060
I don't use airlocks.

Got a couple of pic related fermenters, they work great.
>>
>>992338

Why, though?

Seriously, why can't you use regular flour?

I'm certain there have been plenty of guys that accidentally all milled their grain too fine and they went ahead and made beer from it.

And beer has been around millennia and hops is one of the more recent additives, so I imagine you could leave it out and a more pure beer true to its roots...

So why not?

I'm not underage, I'm just poor.
>>
>>992412
Hiya.

Okay, so I'm not a brewer in any way but got curious from your question.

First off, you use barley malt, that means you let raw barley grains soak in water until they germinate, then dry them with hot air before they sprout further.

The malting of grains breaks up certain starches into simpler sugars, and it's sugar, not grain, that makes alcohol.

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malt

It's very true that humans have made beer for as long as we've had civilization. Some historians think it's the reason for civilization.

However, even if you consider their flour, it wasn't as finely ground as what you buy in the shop, and it wasn't all ground at the same time, or kept entirely dry all the time.

I googled around and you can use flour as an additive to certain beers, for instance to make a weissbier more cloudy or to modify the level of starch/sugar.

The simplest "traditional" brew is infact mentioned in this song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0hX1rAoGRI

>a clean container
>25 liters of lukewarm water
>sugar
>malt
>yeast
>mix
>leave alone for 2-3 weeks.
>>
>>992578
>25 liters of lukewarm water
>2700 grams malt
>3000 grams sugar
>50 grams of fresh yeast

>>place someplace room tempered, a little warmer
>>4 days of waiting

Literally the easiest booze.
>>
>>992578

I thought at a certain temperature the heat activated enzymes that convert the starches into sugars...
>>
>>992595
Right, gotcha. Yeah, me too. Apparently "cereal" is the whole reason beer is a thing. I also thought it was the "flour" part of grain, not the "seed" part of it.

With grapes, fruit etc, the sugar's already in the stuff, and is simplified to alcohol during the fermentation
>>
>>991828
>>992120
How much bleach do you people fucking use?

For sanitizing equipment you use a solution of ONE (1) tablespoon of bleach per gallon of water and then rinse everything thoroughly with sterile water.
>>
>>992801
>using bleach

Why not just use sodium percarbonate to wash and starsan to sanitize? I have a 16oz bottle of starsan that I bought 3 years ago and it is still 3/4 full.
>>
File: DSCF1372.jpg (202 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
DSCF1372.jpg
202 KB, 1200x1600
My old project: http://imgur.com/a/3SY2i

Used to do this for a few years when I was living at campus. I had this 25 liter barrel back at home where I went on weekends, and it was constantly brewing. Every few weeks there was a new batch ready, which I bottled up and took back to campus in a hockey bag on a bus.

A local supermarket sold all the equipment for a starting investment of 20€. They also sold wine kits for 10-15€ which had everything you need (yeast, dried fruit, some other stuff that makes the taste better, etc.) except the sugar. Sugar is little under 1€/kg, 5-7kg per batch. So it works out to around 1€ per liter, very fucking cheap, and it's 10-20% ABV depending on how much sugar you use.

Sanitation-wise, I would was the barrel with dish soap and hot water and soak the smaller parts in there. Then I used alcohol wipes to swipe the inside of the barrel and the equipment. Same with bottles.

[1/2]
>>
File: DSCF1375.jpg (303 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
DSCF1375.jpg
303 KB, 1600x1200
[2/2]

A 1,5 liter bottle of that stuff goes down pretty fast because it tastes good. Especially if you add a little sugar after it's bottled, and let it age a few more weeks. It sneaks up on you, by the time you're almost done with the first bottle you don't even notice it and then you suddenly realize you're fucking wasted. I stopped brewing last year of school because there was some personal shit that made me very depressed and the abundance of practically free alcohol made me drink literally every day. I would go to school half-buzzed from last night (which btw we used lots of dangerous machines, so not cool, altho I felt so shitty most of the time I just snuck off to talk shit with other slackers to get an attendance at least) and got through the day on coffee, then as soon as the day was over I headed to my dorm, put on some music and started pouring the wine.

So yeah, was fun for a while but got a little out of hand. I did a few more brews after I quit, and the personal shit was settled and turned out to be not a big deal. But after that months long binge, I've never been much of a drinker, so brewing to save money seems kinda pointless. I drink maybe once a month if even that, so I can afford to go get some decent whiskey for the occasion.
>>
>>992826
most people already have bleach, if not, it's cheap and readily available

>>992832
well at least you still had enough sense to learn from it

I was never yearning for booze before coming of age, and even after putting up with a lot of crap, don't see the upside of wanting to drown one's self in alcohol (at least when it comes to getting some level of pleasure from it)

....of all the ways to go, liver failure, blood poisoning, or wrapping a car around a tree are no where near the top of the list

even with toilet wine, drink responsibly
>>
>>991786
Outside in a cabinet, so temp varies greatly. Probably an issue. 40 is way higher than we had been doing though, I hadn't gone above 25. Good to know.

Actually lost all 5gal yesterday though; somehow the jocky box we were pumping it through was full of spilt beer. I think a cat or bird landed on the spigot, releasing just enough pressure, then jostled the seal to fuck everything over. Sad really :/
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAqKvM7JHkw

What about this? Could i add spices like cinnamon, nutmeg and shit to make it taste better?
>>
if anyone in the US would want to go havsies on some yeast, I want to get some but I don't need enough for 50 gallons right off the bat...
>>
>>993588
Where do you live that you can't buy packets of yeast?
>>
>>993752
I can, but local places want to charge the same for one packet that the interwebs would charge for 10...I don't need 10 packets and there's a good chance other people are in the same boat
>>
>>993767
My question still stands. I was just in fucking Alaska and it still wasn't more than ~$1.50 for a four-pack of bread yeast.
>>
>>993493
>add spices like cinnamon, nutmeg
Not during brewing, no. Cinnamon and cloves are antiseptic and will kill your yeast.
>>
>>993960
Bread yeast makes really really shitty tasting alcohol.
>>
BTW make sure you don't accidentaly make metanol or etanol or some shit like that. It will kill you. I assume you know but it doesn't help to be careful
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Cybdxjf7ac

This is a very easy way.
>>
>>994005

Dude, ethanol is drinking alcohol. OP's goal is to make ethanol.

And methanol will be produced no matter what he does. But the amount won't be enough to kill him.

That's really only a concern if he's distilling hard liquor.

Just fermenting some juice won't produce enough methanol to kill you.
>>
I just found something called sorghum. Of course my first thought when meeting a new sugar is turning it into alcohol, but I can't find recipes, even though it's apparently somewhat popular in China. I'm thinking I might use it like honey: 3 or 4 pounds per gallon. Anyone know better?
>>
>>993975
Even if i put it in a secondary for clearing or aging? Not sure if it would go sour but ive read somr thing that says to add it in if you do secondary fermentation
>>
>>993960
not talking about bread yeast, this aint a baking thread
>>
Anyone have a good Natural Light clone recipe?
>>
I am planning on making a batch of blackberry mead soon. Can you put the berries in whole or do you have to mince them up?
>>
File: 82733-why-not-both-meme-5LvD.jpg (83 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
82733-why-not-both-meme-5LvD.jpg
83 KB, 400x400
>>994417
>>
>>994477
Well I'm just worried that chopping up the berries will cause them to lose their juices before putting them in the batch.
>>
>>994491
I don't think you'd need to turn them to mush, just halve or quarter

no idea if putting them in a blender would give it too much berriness, but I can't imagine that would be a problem
>>
>>994492
Alright then, I'll give that a try, and then on a different batch I guess I'll just try putting them in whole to see if there is a flavor difference.
>>
So, I was wondering if I could use maple syrup with yeast to make some kind of maple syrup wine. Anyone ever tried it? Also, what does it taste like?

If anyone has ever done it, can you post recipe with the amount of syrup/water/yeast you put?
>>
File: 1440979682248.jpg (57 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1440979682248.jpg
57 KB, 500x500
>>994507
You know, I've kind of wondered this too.
>>
>>994507
http://www.realfermenting.com/2012/10/maple-wine.html
I did find this. I don't know if it will help?
>>
>>980581
This. You are an autist OP. Buy how to brew by John Palmer and have all your asinine questions answered. Once you have a real question then come back.
>>
>>980839
Try this and have fun going blind if you get fractions of concentrated methanol.
>>
>>984104
>invest in one of those shitty air stills
>invest
Kek. Why are we even giving OP a means to provide the booze for his invariable incestual marriage so he can make inbred faggots like himself?
>>
>>984375
Kek
>>
>>984773
It hurts to read this. Physically hurts.
>>
>>992412
A library pass costs nothing, educate yourself. Fucking pleb.
>>
>>994629
not that guy, but I looked at the library and they had a bunch of books on beer, but unfortunately nothing else
>>
>>994640
Once you learn about the chemistry behind beer which is in almost any one of those books you'll know limitations/ potential issues of why that wouldn't work. It's basic shit.
>>
>>994642
I never said it would...
I have no interest in making beer, I was hoping for books on other things like cider
>>
>>994645
He was asking about flour into beer, you can learn that from a beer book. Cider is basically beer but with apples.
>>
>>994397
Please respond. It's the only thing I like and I heard it's a lot cheaper if you make it yourself.
>>
File: rick.jpg (52 KB, 334x349) Image search: [Google]
rick.jpg
52 KB, 334x349
>>990288
I'm this guy.

I can find rubber corks/taps easily enough, but finding them with the perforated ones is harder.

Could I buy intact ones and make the hole myself? Is it wise? If so, how do you recommend me to go about it?

Thanks in advance. I'm a total newbie to this.
>>
>>980560
Buy goon, freeze distill into spirit. It costs like 8 bucks for a litre of vodka strength spirit.
>>
>>994005
>make sure you don't accidentaly make metanol or etanol or some shit like that.
>It will kill you.
You're not wrong but you are retarded
>>
>>980771
old fashioned bats?
>>
KiLJU RECiPE CONVERTED TO AMERiCAN UNiTS AND SUPPLiES
-----------------------------------------------------
This finnish "national drink" is also easily brewed overseas.. Just grab some empty
bottles (prefer empty, plastic 0,5l Coca&Cola bottles..) and the following stuff:
.--------------------------------------------------------.
| o one gallon milk carton |
| o one pack of any baking yeast |
| o 3 quarts of water |
| o 1/2 cup of apple juice or a pealed and sliced lemon |
| o 5 cups of sugar |
`--------------------------------------------------------'
- Wash the milk cartons first (and wash them very well!)..
- Then mix 2½ quarts of body temperature water and 5 cups of sugar in any
kind of pot or bowl (has to be clean too!)..
- Funnel the mixture into the carton..
- Add 1/2 cup of apple juice into the carton..
- Mix the yeast and half quarts of body temperature water and funnel it into
the carton, and SHAKE it!
- After this, find a good place for the carton, the warmth should be about
72-76 degrees warm (room temperature)..
- After a short while, the carton should release quite a stink.. ;)
- The carton will also produce CO2 and some foam, that is why your carton is
not full, the rest of the space is used for the pressure and the foam..
You should leave a small opening where the pressure can escape (remember the
stinky ;)
- You should notice some pressure coming out in about 24-48 hours, otherwise
your yeast is dead because of too hot water or your place for your cartons
is too cold.
- After a couple of days, shake the carton a bit
- In 7-14 days your kilju should be ready.. It is ready when it does not produce any more pressure..
- When the kilju is ready, you should change the kilju from the carton to one of the clean Coke-bottles.. Just be careful, because the yeast stays on the bottom of the carton, just pour away the clear kilju (and not the dead yeast which will turn your stomach upside down!!!)..
- Pour the kilju into the Coke-bottles
>>
>>994598
This.

How to brew is the bible.
>>
>>994764
Can somebody answer? Since it's something my friends and I will be drinking I'm worried about the health risks of making the hole myself. My gut says go for it, but I can't without somebody knowledgeable checking if it's correct to do so.
>>
>>995815
You can't drill out rubber corks, nor cork corks probably. They use a special cutter that is a cylinder blade. They're like 25 bucks...

When I did my first brew I used a 5 gallon plastic water jug like those water dispenser use. I just took the cap and cut a hole out of the center with a knife by twisting the knife in the center around and around slowly until I scraped out a hole big enough to shove the airlock through. Turned out it wasn't tight enough so I wrapped teflon tape around it and shoved it back in and that worked. Ended up using food safe silicone glue the next time and that worked as well.
>>
>>991696
Are you from Toronto? I know the girl in your picture lol
>>
>>994767
Found the Aussie.
>>
>>995895
Thanks!
>>
>>983875
>>984991
>>985632
>>988575

>making a drink that is called "kill you"
>>
>>980682

plastic isn't bad, actually, just use a foodsafe plastic like HDPE or LDPE.
>>
Whats the advantage of home brew to shop bought alcohol
>>
>>996692
Price is a big plus, there's also the fact that you can control the flavor substantially more instead of relying on brewing companies to make exactly what you're looking for. There's other advantages but most of them are trivial, at least in my opinion.
>>
>>996692
impress your friends, eschew corporate dependence
>>
>>980581
Have you seen how much more helpful this thread was than just hurr durr google? Faggot cuck.
>>
>>988261
Are you me?
>>
Moonshine proves easy as shit

https://youtu.be/P-nGbAf81Zs?list=LL3Jywn7yLFQ6cPtm_wH2XxQ
>>
Is there an easy, cheap way to put the cork in the bottle when bottleing? As in not using on of those tools made for it
>>
>>997837
No.
>>
Question for experienced beer brewers. My first stout hit fg a few days ago, and I'm going to bottle it on Thursday. What concerns me is that it tastes overwhelmingly of acetaldehyde. Will this mellow out after bottle conditioning for 6+ weeks, or is my beer fucked?
>>
File: 1459209289518.png (453 KB, 492x650) Image search: [Google]
1459209289518.png
453 KB, 492x650
Can anyone recommend a good book on mead making? I'm looking for something like the mead equivalent of john palmer's 'how to brew'.
>>
My home brewing started at the ripe age of 15 when i learnt in biology class what yeast produced when it consumed sugar.

I started out fermenting 3 liter bottles of fruit juice by just removing a small portion of the juice and adding a teaspoon of brewers yeast to the bottle. over the neck of the bottle i simply placed a layer of plastic food wrap and a rubber band to hold it in position and a little pin hole to release the Co2. A week to 10 days produced something that didn't taste to bad and got a 15 year old very much drunk.

I have since produced almost anything you could imagine and take a lot of pride in the quality of the product I make. I have come to a point where i no longer worry myself in brewing beer and wine because of the simplicity and ease of producing spirits. I'm lucky enough to live in New Zealand where purchasing and using a still is as legal as buying a roll of toilet paper, provided you're 18yo. You can literally produce as much spirit as you possibly want here and there are no restrictions on the size of the still you can operate.

If spirits take your liking I highly recommend brewing them. They are by far simpler then wine or beer. I understand its a bit more of a challenge in the States given the laws and equipment isn't quite as easy to obtain. but if you build yourself a nice big still (30 liters or higher) you may find you can yourself producing great product in decent quantities without having to do it every damn week
>>
>>994507
I was considering using maple to make a mead, but I wanted to try first with honey to make a burnt honey mead (bochet) which basically involves boiling honey until it's super thick like molasses/syrup. But for some reason I've had no luck getting it to start, I just keep hitting a wall with it getting stuck.

I'm going to start again and will likely use a maple syrup and just make something much simpler, I'll post my attempts when I start it though.
>>
>>998005
Perhaps you could try putting the honey into a mason jar, then the mason jar into your boiling water. This will give you much better control over the temperature of the honey.

A bit of advice to add to this is if you place some bamboo chopsticks as the bottom of the sauce pan and the mason jar on top of those, it will help stop the direct heat transferring to the jar giving even better control over the heat.
>>
>>998005

I have a gallon of a maple syrup wine in secondary right now, actually. Not really sure what to expect, I've read about people that love the stuff and people that hate it.

My notes when racking into secondary:

>Brix down to 7.9 or so. Suggests alcohol content of around 13.7%. Yeast is still doing a little bit, that or there was a good deal of suspended carbonation. Anyways, taste at this point is… yeasty, with a harsh maple sugar finish. Not like anything else I’ve had. Don’t know that I like it, but it’s interesting I guess. Will have to see how it is after ageing some (probably 6 months minimum, but I’ll try in 2 or 3 months just to see).
>>
>>997985

Compleat Meadmaker by Ken Schramm is what you're looking for, anon. Read that, then read online about staggered nutrient addition, and then you're good to go.
>>
>>998085
Beverages brewed from maple is certainly an acquired taste. The maple flavor tends to be very pronounced much the same way as brewing with molasses. It really is a love or hate thing. Good luck in your brewing, i hope you produce something you enjoy.
>>
Does anyone on this board have any experience making compound gin? I was hoping to do some but most of the recipes I can find are pretty lame looking.
Any recommendations?

Also sorry if this is the wrong place for this.
>>
>>980560
Y'all motherfucker have never heard of Kvass, huh? Piss easy, no special tools.
Ingredients:
1 Lb Darkest Rye Bread available (I use pumpernickel)
1 packet yeast
4 cups sugar
Handful of dried fruit (I use raisins)
2.5 gallons of water (10 quarts)
Half batch can be made, halve everything
DAY 1
Blacken, but do not carbonize bread. Add to hot water. For stronger fruit note, add dried fruit now. If too sweet, hold off until yeast and sugar are added.
DAY 2
Remove bread, strain fluid from bread. Mix sugar and yeast, let sit for a few minutes. Add to fluid. Stir every 2 hours or so for 8-12 hours. Only gentle agitation is needed. Let sit overnight.
DAY 3
Bottle (in soda bottles, they're made for pressure), leave warm for 8-12 hours. Refrigerate.
DAY 4
Keep refrigerated, for at least 24 hours, then enjoy. Kvass will slowly loose sweetness and climb in alcohol 1-2 proof per day refrigerated, 2-4 per day warm. If keeping warm, be mindful to relieve pressure every day.
If you leave it for 3 weeks or more, It becomes Braga, basically a dry, bread wine.
>>
>>998635
Also, when bottling, pour through a strainer to catch the particles of bread.
Some other notes:
Kvass, being a live-culture drink (you're consuming live yeast) does not skunk, but it does need time to cool at least once or it'll taste funny.
It tastes like a less-bitter beer.
>>
so I started this wine about two weeks ago
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=21093

the thread said primary fermentation should be done in like 5 days.
My yeast (Lalvin 71B-1122) is still going strong, again two weeks later.
Should I be worried?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 35

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.