[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
terrifying DIY setups, not necessarily electronics related
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5
File: 2016-04-17_225632.png (1 MB, 1263x658) Image search: [Google]
2016-04-17_225632.png
1 MB, 1263x658
https://youtu.be/TrKs0nCbFpE?t=1m32s
>>
https://youtu.be/_qHJXfZhGNc
>>
https://youtu.be/P9UjxG8sN1c
>>
Some things really shouldn't be done.
What really drives me nuts is the clutter. If you're going to do dangerous shenanigans at least try to minimize the risk and be prepared for the worst possible scenario.
>>
>>980291
>capacitors in series
why? doesn't it make more sense to have them all in parallel to maximize the energy stored and released
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4qB6n1cm04
>>
>>981240
Ummm... I'd be more worried about the fact that everything is held together with alligator clamps
>>
File: 1458495100896.png (240 KB, 679x297) Image search: [Google]
1458495100896.png
240 KB, 679x297
>>981242
>idk what you mean anon, it is perfectly safe to have high voltage running through a drawer full of nigger rigged alligator clips
>>
>>981245
These people have just enough knowledge to make something dangerous. I kept expecting the circuit to fail as that drawer full of clips and an electric stove element to get jostled around.
>>
>>981245
high voltage doesnt care for wire size, current does though
>>
>>981240

Energy does not change, regardless of series/parallel arrangement (assuming equal capacitance).
>>
>>981242
what is wrong with alligator clamps? besides the shitty insulation and the size of the wire...
>>
>>981245
>let me just stick my hand in and wave it around these exposed capacitor terminals
>>
>>981240
It depends on what the input voltage is as to what configuration you need to use. If it is too high for the caps then you need to use something other than parallel.
>>
>>981283
>>981242
Sometimes you just need to throw shit together quick and nothing has legs.

Only people who don't know anything are scared and think everyone else will fry themselves.
>>
File: battery.jpg (178 KB, 1457x896) Image search: [Google]
battery.jpg
178 KB, 1457x896
>>981245
>>981283
>>980822

>running 900V through shody wiring and clamps that could snap off at any moment
>shoots battery and just picks it up while it's sizzling

This guy just doesn't give a FUCK
>>
I'm sure most of you know this one by now. But its a worthy addition to this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9Td5uMB_vQ
>>
>>981408
Eh, not that bad really. It already has the jacketting punctured. That is the most dangerous part. If it isn't punctured and you dent it badly it can build up pressure very quickly and explode. Which will more than likely injure you if you are holding it.

>>981413
Those are good for spot cooling, that's all. And, yes, various forms of these have been posted 100s of times on /diy/.
>>
>>981416
>Those are good for spot cooling, that's all.
If using water ice, absolutely.
Dry ice like this retard though, really quick way to have a permanent nap.

As far as terrifying diy, this deserved a mention.
>>
>>981342
Terrible contact, low surface area causes current spikes and possible catastrophic failure while also presenting multiple opportunities for gap sparks.
>>
>>981413
What a retard. Not only his techniques but him using that in an enclosed space.

I guess it's getting to be that time of year when NEETS start coming in here with pie in the sky ideas for air conditioning.
>>
>>981242
Those are just slow blow fuses.
>>
>>981490
Whats wrong with this?
>>
>>981496
>Dry ice presents hazards because it is extremely cold and because it quickly sublimates into carbon dioxide gas. Carbon dioxide is not toxic, but it can build up pressure or displace normal air, potentially causing problems.

And don't you dare use it as assassination tool.
>>
>>981496
>http://scicurious.scientopia.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2013/05/Screen-shot-2013-05-30-at-10.18.09-PM.png

Nothing. They work. Just thought I'd get it out of the way.

Carbon dioxide poses a risk in confined spaces.
>>
>>980292
what is this.. I dont even.
Isnt about half of that shit unnecessary?
>>
>>981287
But alligator clips can easily spring off. And with that rat nest tier wiring job there is a greater chance of something shorting out.
>>
>>981241
Put it in high gear and rev to red line for ensuing chaos and my personal amusement.

>>981408
The absolute madman

>>981490
Kek, forgot about that.

>>981413
Russia gets that hot?
I know they have a summer but damn.
>>
>>981240
Higher voltage will get you higher velocities and the capacitance is the same whether in parallel or series.
>>
>>981421
>permanent nap
CO2 is what stimulates the breathing reflex, so severe hypercapnia is almost always accompanied strong suffocating sensation. If you're getting too much of it (that is, enough to displace oxygen), you'll know it (and will hopefully have the presence of mind to get to fresh air). That said, it's still a stupid idea.
>>981490
>I guess it's getting to be that time of year when NEETS start coming in here with pie in the sky ideas for air conditioning.
I have one which I've been mulling over :^)
I've been thinking about making my own electric-powered air-cycle machine. If it works well I can market it as a "green" AC unit when they finally ban refrigerants altogether because muh global warming.
>>
>>980291
I'm not super versed in electronics but a transformer in a wood casing, isn't that incredibly dangerous?
>>
>>982233
>capacitance is the same whether in parallel or series
lol no
>>
>>981421
I didn't realize it was dry ice. That's just retarded.

>>981496
You are supposed to use normal ice made from water not dry ice. I don't know who started telling people to use dry ice but who ever it was is a fucking idiot.

The device itself is fine for spot cooling. Like when you need cold air on you right there. They are not good for cooling the environment of a room or anything.
>>
>>982522
>I don't know who started telling people to use dry ice but who ever it was is a fucking idiot.

Probably the same type of person that created the "blow on x substance to make crystals" image that circulates on /b/
>>
>>982998
You are probably correct.
>>
>>982998
some people just want to see the world burn
>>
>>983007
>007
Bond get
>>
>>982281
> safety concern
> shooting batteries
>>
ITT: Nigger rigged stuff
>>
>>981287
high voltage cares about insulation thickness though, which has a tendency to be based on wire gauge
>>
Eh, weak ass battery anyhow. I'd be worried if it was a lipo or something.
>>
>>983783

No it doesn't. It's completely unrelated to wire conductor gauge.
>>
>>982233

> capacitance is the same whether in parallel or series

Where the hell did you hear this? Capacitance in parallel is additive. Capacitance in series is the inverse of the sum of the inverse capacitances.

I.E. capacitance is always reduced in series, and increased in parallel.
>>
>>981240

His caps aren't rated for 900V would be my guess. Two caps of equal value will see roughly half the voltage if arranged in series.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.