[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have some 55 gallon plastic barrels. Having trouble thinking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 18
File: 55gallons.jpg (538 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
55gallons.jpg
538 KB, 2048x1152
I have some 55 gallon plastic barrels. Having trouble thinking of this to do with them.

I was thinking of making a rain collector for watering plants.

What would you do /diy/?
>>
>>978224
so op.. whats with the weird ass setup? you know, with the big ass fence, the barbwire, and the unreasonable amount of empty 55 gallon drums stacked up in your back yard..?

methlab?
>>
>>978226
Well for one, its not my back yard.
Its my work place.
They were filled with Formalin.
>>
I'll tell you what I wouldn't do, post on DIY asking what I should do with rubbish.
>>
>>978230
>tunnel fort
Now I can turn my meth lab in to a place for kids too!
>>
>>978228
>Formalin.
Its nasty stuff that's both poisonous and carcinogenic, I'd avoid having it used for water collection
>>
>>978228
oh ok, workplace looks cozy.
also if the other anon is right and that stuff is carcinogenic you should have the barrels disposed of properly. They might not even be allowed to be recycled.
>>
>>978235
>>978238
I'm no chemist or doctor, but working with formalin I know pretty well what it can do and the risks it poses to people.
But (and I'm not saying you guys are wrong) I was told by the biologist I work with and the company that we send these barrels too that they are safe for house hold use after proper treatment. Which they have been treated.

It definitely is a carcinogenic. But after treatment its no more dangerous than the formalin in most toothpastes and make up.

It kinda sketches me out using it as a water collector. Either way I'd use that water for plants and not drinking.
>>
>>978245
the wiki for it says that formalin is another name for formaldehyde. while its not as deadly as cyanide, I still wouldn't want to drag its containers home. but thats your call.
>>
>>978245
Plants themselves might not have much issue with it, but thing is that stuff kills bacteria like a motherfucker.
Which you might consider irrelevant until it hits the soil and literally makes it 'scorched earth' in so much all the little microbes, worms and bacteria in the soil die and its literally sterilised
>>
>>978229
Agreed.
OP pushed a potentially better thread off the bottom of the last page just so he could ask what to do with garbage.
>>
Sounds to me like someones employer is trying to avoid paying the high disposal fees that come with hazarded waste by allowing staff to take it home with them.

Don't turn you home in to landfill OP.
>>
>>978224
sell em on craigslist for 15 a pop
>>
>>978245
Aren't they supposed to be treated by the disposal company? And to that, why would they still be in your possession?
>>
File: DSCN0064d.jpg (2 MB, 3864x4576) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0064d.jpg
2 MB, 3864x4576
>>978224
VAWT
Flower/Vegetable Barrel

>Formalin

You can clean them properly and render them safe. I'm sure that can be done, after all humans put men on the moon right?
>>
Pontoon or boat house
>>
Make the biggest piss jug ever.
>>
food grade containers = best

i picked up a couple 55 gallon labeled 'habanero sauce' containers for a few bucks each. could feel my eyes burning when i looked inside. they still had ~1 cup of sauce.
>>
>>978224
Recreate half life 2
>>
>>978346
Wooden bridge?
>>
>>978339
Rolling for this.
>>
paint black, fill with water, put in sun. put rubber hose inside to pump water through. enjoy water heater.
>>
>>978224
Dig a trench 6 feet deep and use boards to brace the sides, put the barrels in the trench

Buy a burner phone for cash at Walmart, when not in use keep it off and covered in foil, never use the phone within 10 miles of your property

Buy a used mini van, srip the insides, paint the rear windows, line the floor with plastic

Find hookers, bums, druggies in nearby city, pick them up, promise money, kill and dismember them, fill the barrels, a cut up person will fill 1/3 of each barrel, when full fill with water, halfway and add lime
When you fill all the barrels, back fill the trench, build a garage over the filled in trench

You found a use for the tubs, got rid of nervous energy and helped clean up the city, provided jobs as LEO's look for the missing, eventually, years from now, you will provide more jobs to TV, news, writers, LEO and all who supply them

Good job, now get busy
>>
>>978224
those have class 8 DOT diamonds on them

what did they previously contain and who did you steal them from?

if someone gave them to you and you emptied them you likely aided in breaking federal law on hazardous waste disposal
>>
there are millions of uses for plastic barrels
you can usually find them for sale on craigslist in your area, so you don't need to ship them.

rainwater collection
compost tea
fermentation vessel
bio diesel
pontoon
floating dock
trash can
food storage
weapons cache
tumbler
cement mixer
>>
>>978594
those suspiciously detailed instructions
>>
I take those and cut one about 2/3 height then make a slip-fit cap out of a second. I use a Sawzall or zip disc in an angle grinder or a circular saw.

They seal VERY well and keep out humidity. I've stashed engine parts outdoors in them for several years in rainy SC with no moisture intrusion. I keep chicken feed and small hay bales in others. Anything you want to stay dry.

You can use the leftovers for plant tubs or cleaning tubs or whatever, but they are awesome for dry storage.
>>
>>978646
Any chance of a pic so I can get my head around what you mean, Anon?
Thanks.
>>
if not said earlier make pontoon boat
>>
File: ok.jpg (20 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
ok.jpg
20 KB, 300x300
>>978706
>>
>>978224
Drop them off at a government building
>>
File: air-gricultural_wo_3568436b.jpg (66 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
air-gricultural_wo_3568436b.jpg
66 KB, 620x387
>>978224
this family from bongland sell jars of english countryside air to the chineese and japs on ebay for £80 a pop.

them barrels filled with your finest fresh air should bring in some serious coin.
>>
File: _65253310_zmiv221o.jpg (39 KB, 976x549) Image search: [Google]
_65253310_zmiv221o.jpg
39 KB, 976x549
>>978744
Its kind of funny until you see firsthand what passes for 'air' in China. Japan wasn't so bad for pollution at least when I was there, but its full of crazy cunts that seem to buy weird shit.
>>
File: future.jpg (46 KB, 680x512) Image search: [Google]
future.jpg
46 KB, 680x512
>>978745
this is the future we chose
>>
File: image.jpg (68 KB, 550x357) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
68 KB, 550x357
>>978744
>>978745
Well westerners buy loads of chines air
>>
>>978228
Famalam you're going to want to not use those mate.
>>
>>978224
Hydroponics/aquaponics
>>
>>978224

What other anons have suggested.

Bote.
Fort.
Hydro/Aquaponics
>>
>>978761
>China
>First country in the world to solve pollution buy getting other countries to pay them export pollution into their countries
>>
>>978594
>build a garage over the filled in trench

Sounds good. Can you post pics of your garage? Just for /diy/ ideas.

-- Officer Friendly
>>
>>978899
>in the form of food for other countries

Brilliant really.

>>978594
You can't use barrels for underground stuff. They quickly collapse.
>>
>>978962
>n the form of food
in the form of everything really
>>
>>978224
Dust collection system
>>
Use them to build an overly complicated entrance to a secret bunker involving a big lever, and a deep pool of water.
>>
File: 9.png (185 KB, 640x653) Image search: [Google]
9.png
185 KB, 640x653
>>978715
it's 100% safe as long there isn't this label
>>
>>978230
>geocache storage
Don't tell /out/, the resident geocache shitter would die of exhaustion or dehydration trying to fill it with poo.
>>
>>979748
>geocache shitter
I didn't even consider this was a thing.
Of course it's a thing.

It's so obvious now.
>>
File: nausicaa_gardenlab.jpg (896 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
nausicaa_gardenlab.jpg
896 KB, 1920x1080
>Formalin
I wouldn't want it near my soil.

But there are some interesting concepts for recycling hazardous organic chemistry. And would you believe it: Miyazaki had it right all along...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pleurotus

Ordinary oyster mushrooms are one of a bunch of fungi that metabolize a lot of oil based stuff which would straight up sterilize any soil into harmless organics.

Now I wouldn't eat the first generation. But there are some upcycling advantages. The barrels are pretty sturdy and come with airtight seal. This is crucial for cultivating fungi because you have to keep everything sterile. Fungi like it dark, so you can keep those unsightly containers in the basement or dig them into the ground.
>>
>>978224
Cut in half they make great planters for tomatoes and peppers.
>>
>>978224

that'd be really cool, OP

If you have a hill on your property that is higher than your house you can set them up on top of it and create an off-the-grid water source for growing "exotic herbs and spices"
>>
>>978245
Formaldehyde is soluble in water and I doubt it really leaches into the plastic like some chemicals will. It should be reasonably safe after washing a few times with just a lot of water.

If they were my barrels, I'd seal them up and make a jank ass pontoon boat.
>>
File: baroll.jpg (197 KB, 736x552) Image search: [Google]
baroll.jpg
197 KB, 736x552
>>978224
barrel aquaponics or vertical gardens
>>
>>979818
formaldehyde is harmless. it's a basic building block of biochemistry. it's not toxic in say, the way chlorine gas is toxic or heavy metals are toxic. sure if you took a bath in the stuff you'd get sick. but what is organic solvent. dump it in your vege patch and it wont kill you.

being worried about formalin is like being worried about cow farts.
>>
>>979825
Looks fucking disgusting.
>>
>>979830

Lol. You are fucking clueless.
>>
File: Vegetables.webm (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
Vegetables.webm
3 MB, 640x360
>>979835
Ah, poor baby.
>>
File: DSCF0165[1].jpg (2 MB, 2304x1728) Image search: [Google]
DSCF0165[1].jpg
2 MB, 2304x1728
>>978224
If you want to make money and can weld:
I cut one into quarters and made an ATV snowplow.
$400 at Walmart http://www.walmart.com/ip/19301423?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227015529267&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40839860312&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=78653457512&veh=sem
You could make them for $100 and sell them for $250.
>>
>>979835
you have that fear of holes disorder
>>
>>979728
so if it has corsosive, flamable, or poison.. then its safe for fish?
>>
>>979930
Is not real
>>
File: image.jpg (45 KB, 604x340) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
45 KB, 604x340
>>978232
>>
>>979930
Nah it's just like smearing shit on your walls and calling it art.
>>
File: dk.jpg (57 KB, 640x724) Image search: [Google]
dk.jpg
57 KB, 640x724
>>978224
I'd use em to stop that fucking italian plumber from screwing with my gf!
>>
>>979963
africans think it is
>>
Tannerite OP and make a r candy rocket with some detonating charge and shoot that shit with the rocket and post it.
>>
>>978246
Just an FYI, all seed potatoes that are sold commercially anywhere in the first world are dipped in formaldehyde before transport.
>>
>>980000
lmao
>>
>>978224
Make them into rain barrels, sell them for $50-$100.
>>
>>979933
poison that would kill the fish would (or at least should) have this label. And anything that would kill fish would probably kill you first anyway.
acid/lye gets neutralized in the environment (if you aren't dumping tons of it at one place)
flammability of chemical isn't really a problem for the environment. Dry straw is dangerous, few drops of metanol (for example) in water is absolutely not.

if you are too worried, you can always check material safety data sheets for eco-toxicology data
>>
>>980000
>underbreaded toast
>>
>>979824
Seconding this. A pontoon boat would be great, but you can safely reuse the barrels for storage. Plastic barrels used for chemical storage should resist leaching of the chemical, and formalin/formaldehyde are readily deactivated. You can deactivate any leftovers by filling the barrels with milk or water and dehydrated milk powder and turning them over a few times. The formaldehyde and formalin will crosslink the proteins in it and be consumed in the process.
>>
>>978646
>>978647
ANon, I'd like to know, too. I cut just the very top off a barrel and then a third off another barrel to store feed, but I'd like to know your method. I'm assuming you just cut a little kerf in the upper third so it can fit over the lower portion, but tell us more.
>>
>>978224
Wash them out.
Set them upright with the lid off
Put a brick in the bottom to keep them still
Let them fill with rainwater
Fill watering can from barrel
>>
File: 1441671632038.png (454 KB, 697x360) Image search: [Google]
1441671632038.png
454 KB, 697x360
>>979830
You are literally retarded. It was one of the first carcinogens to be identified as a direct cause of cancer and not "linked" or "related" to cancer.

It's VERY bioactive and instantly penetrates the skin barrier.

>>978228
>>978224
OP...

DO NOT USE THOSE FOR ANYTHING SEND THEM OFF TO A WASTE SITE.

>This isn't a "muh toxic wood pallets" meme where the pallets are not actually toxic.

Do not use those fucking things.
>>
>>983886
What a fucking pussy you are.

>Oh my god at one point in time this barrel contained something poisonous! Someone else take care of it, I don't want to be near it!

OP can just open all of them up, let them air out for a week, rinse them out, and they'll be fine.
>>
Fill em with dirt and make a sweet backstop to shoot at
>>
>>978224
You could always wash them out really well, and brew 1,760 gallons of beer, wine or mead.
>>
File: 1456350175622.jpg (61 KB, 406x480) Image search: [Google]
1456350175622.jpg
61 KB, 406x480
>>983910
Because plastic has zero porosity right?

Just washing them out and spray water everywhere will contaminate himself and the area around him you stupid fuck.

Google the MSDS for it and tell me you want to spraying the barrels out with a garden hose at home.
>>
>>984027
porosity depends on the type of plastic but also on the solvent leaching into it. hydrocarbon solvents can leach into polypropylene and polyethylene, but I sincerely doubt the solubility of formaldehyde in that type of plastic is very high. On the other hand, formaldehyde is very highly soluble in water, and OP has already mentioned that the barrels have been treated. Several washes are in order to be on the super safe side, but he probably could just use them outright.

Formaldehyde IS a carcinogen, but it really takes quite a lot to do anything. They wouldn't let kids in high school dissect animals that had been stored in formaldehyde if the traces that you can clearly smell would give them cancer and kill them. If the barrels have no smell, then it stands to reason they probably have less formaldehyde in them than what you encounter in a high school biology lab.
>>
>>984045
You tell yourself that.
>>
>>978224
Pontoon boat
>>
>>984045

They don't let kids play with dissected formalin soaked animals anymore. Even most medical labs that I'm aware of use 70% ETOH now for preservation. Shit is pure cancer.
>>
>>984027
If you're worried about porosity, just leave water in the barrels for a week so it leaches out, then dump it somewhere you don't care about. It's an organic compound, so it'll break down over time anyways. It's not like we're talking about barrels of lead paint or anything. You seem like the kind of person that would wear safety goggles when using hand tools and put gloves on before handling motor oil. Your body is more durable than you think.
>>
>>984203
>wanting cancer
>>
>>978224
Rain collectors are alright as long as you deal with the concerns other people are pointing out with the chemicals (note that even a clean barrel is not going to have potable water if it's coming from a shingled roof, asphalt will contaminate it). The only thing is that might use one barrel, not very much.

Selling them is a solid option, or you could fill them with soil and make a wall, I dunno
>>
OP here. Been out of the thread for a few days.
Holy shit. Most of you guys are pussy ass bitches.

We use the formalin in those barrels to disinfect fish tanks. Then guess what? We put fish in them! And not just that. We hatch fish from eggs into them. And they live! And if you've had salmon before, chances are they've been through a tank treated with formalin.

The place that I work at has some pretty damn good biologists and chemists. Its pretty much what >>984045 said. Actually its exactly what he said.

btw I'm starting out using one as a chicken feeder.

But I guess you can eat everything Wikipedia shits into your mouth and feel like you know something.
>>
>>985084
The safety concern faggot brigade has been growing recently. It must be all the estrogen in the water, turning men into women, women into dykes, and wholesome /diy/ers into pussy ass bitches.
>>
File: big-wheel-jump-the-70s[1].jpg (114 KB, 550x432) Image search: [Google]
big-wheel-jump-the-70s[1].jpg
114 KB, 550x432
>>985113
>The safety concern faggot brigade has been growing recently. It must be all the estrogen in the water, turning men into women, women into dykes, and wholesome /diy/ers into pussy ass bitches.

I think it's the parents who bubble wrapped their kids and nerfed the world. I'm gen x and we had wooden play grounds and maybe sand to cushion you when you jumped from the swings. We didn't wear helmets unless it was a thin plastic Evel Kneivel one and we were jumping stupid things on our bikes. We rode around in the beds of trucks without concern.

I have to say that I was small part of the problem raising my kids. The parental instinct to protect your kids wasn't as strong with our parents and we tried to be better parents and ended up raising a whole generation of pussies.

We went from mom telling us to stay the hell out of the house until dinner was ready to pants wetting parents calling the cops if they see a child outside unsupervised. And it's going to keep getting worse as this becomes the new norm.
>>
>>985084
I'll say that I agree with your pussification argument pretty much, but just so I can be first I'll also say fish are different from people in the getting cancer department. Nothing like starting a new argument! Iirc, when I did dissections decades ago in high school (and college) the rumor was that if a girl was pregnant just the smell of formaldehyde would make her throw up pretty much immediately, and all us guys would just watch as the sluttier ones started to work. Never saw it though. Haven't gotten cancer yet either.
>>
>>984045
>They wouldn't let kids in high school dissect animals that had been stored in formaldehyde if the traces that you can clearly smell would give them cancer and kill them.

This is shitty logic. They used to let kids play with mercury all the time in school's with no protection. That's not allowed anymore because it wads found to be a neurotoxin.
>>
>>985246
Playing with mercury for five minutes of one day of your life is completely harmless. Metallic mercury doesn't absorb through the skin, and you won't be exposed to enough fumes during that time period to cause any harm. If anything you proved his point.
>>
>>985240
Nah. we saw our moms implode our dad's life and went 'whoa shit' and stayed away from our families and kids.

Dads are much better at letting their kids run off and do shit. Moms can't even imagine letting their kids run off unsupervised. Now it is a fucking crime if you don't follow your kids to the park down the block.
>>
Kill 55 people and use the barrels to dispose of the bodyes
>>
>>978224
start a turtle farm
>>
>>978228
>Its my work place.
>They were filled with Formalin.
lol holy shit dude don't touch them. Do you work for a local cadaver embalmer? Sargeants in California or Carolina Biological?
>>
Find a cool old black guy, build a raft, and explore the Ol' Missisip.
>>
Cut them in half length ways and make a water slide.
>>
>>987066
Best idea yet, bar none
>>
>>978224
Cut them, shape them with heat, make complete sets of armor/battlesuits.
>>
>>981872
This is true. If you really look you discover that shit is everywhere.
>>
>>978224
Do meth.
>>
>B U N K E R
>U
>N
>K
>E
>R
>>
File: barrel feed storage.jpg (481 KB, 2848x2136) Image search: [Google]
barrel feed storage.jpg
481 KB, 2848x2136
>>978647
Overlap is like six or eight inches, you'll figure it out. Leftovers can be cut to height for transmission or engine oil or coolant drain tubs if you are a mechanic.

I've used these for many years now. I got them some time before 2007 when I retired from the Air Force. They were filled with fire retardant foam and our hangar system accidentally fired twice before the system was fixed. Many barrels for me! Would post foam-filled hangar pix but can't find at moment.
>>
Pull the Material Safety Data Sheet for the SPECIFIC compound stored in the barrels. If not too noxious, cut then take to car wash and soap the fuck out of them.

My barrels contained biodegradable foaming agent which was safe to walk through and water soluble.

Formalin of course is less friendly. You may not want to fuck with those containers until you KNOW i.e. have read proof that they are safe for your modification and use.

I love MSDS. For example you can find out what is in brand-name fuel injector cleaner then buy the generic chemicals instead for trivial money. Homework is good.
>>
>btw I'm starting out using one as a chicken feeder.

Me bad for skipping past that post. They'd make good feeders but to avoid rodent infiltration and because my birds free-range, I just leave a scoop inside the barrels for when I want to feed 'em.

Backyard chickens rock. Mine exterminate all the bugs and small rodents (a chicken attacks mice like a fucking T-Rex) and I have all the delicious eggs I want and more. I don't bother with meat birds because I prefer beef, but those eggs blow away the bland shit you buy in the store. That building behind the barrels is actually a chicken coop.
>>
>>978224
make a pantoon boat, bitch
Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.