[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What should I use to glue a tile like this to the wall? One of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 11
File: IMG_20160411_112150.jpg (865 KB, 2592x1456) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160411_112150.jpg
865 KB, 2592x1456
What should I use to glue a tile like this to the wall? One of them is coming off.
>>
File: IMG_20160411_112208.jpg (909 KB, 2592x1456) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160411_112208.jpg
909 KB, 2592x1456
>>
The wall is a cement wall.
>>
>>976581
Licensed tile contractor here, use thinset mortar from a bag, preferably one that costs more than 15$/50lb bag. How thick are the tiles and what are they made of?
>>
>>976585
Remember to remove the old mortar before you reinstall the tile or you won't get a flush finish.
>>
Cant i glue it on with some silicone glue or something?
>>
Where do you live? If it's in EU i highly recommend PCI.
>>
File: IMG_20160411_132104.jpg (896 KB, 1456x2592) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160411_132104.jpg
896 KB, 1456x2592
It seems some sort of white stuff was used to glue them the first time.
>>
File: IMG_20160411_132010.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1456) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160411_132010.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1456
This is how the back of the tile that fell off looks like...
What do you think they used? Is it possible they didnt remove the paint first and its the paint that broke off? Also If i want to use some mortar then shouldnt i remove the paint first? How do i do it from a wall that is inside the house and of course its a little patch between all the other stone parts...
>>
anyone?
>>
File: gripfill.jpg (36 KB, 840x724) Image search: [Google]
gripfill.jpg
36 KB, 840x724
>>976585
Take no notice of this bollocks.

For a simple solid repair use pic related. £3 a tube.
>>
>>976607
Looks like they used thin-set mortar, as is standard, probably a 1/4 inch notched trowel. To reinstall properly you should scrape or sand down the back of the tile and remove any setting material from the wall as well, make sure you remove any loose paint. If the wall is sound and isn't deflecting when you push on it you can just spread some mud on the back of the tile and reinstall it. Easy money.

Post a photo of the area in question and i'll line you out on a proper fix.

Don't listen to this guy >>976613, do it right and it'll last a lifetime.
>>
>>976585
>>976840

/the answer
>>
>>976840
>life time
You've obviously never used gripfil. Why on earth you can justify $15 worth of tile adhesive on one tile is far beyond reason.

If he was asking how to remove all and retile I'd agree but if one has already come away from the wall, the others probably aren't far behind. There's no benefit to using 'thinset' over anything else.

Apparently you need a licence to tile over there? Now I see why, logic is non existent.

>>976992
(You)
>>
>>976993
Because I assumed that the OP doesn't want it to look like shit. Just slopping some 3$ caulking on the back and resticking it will make the repair not flush the patch will be super obvious. Could he use some other kind of adhesive besides thin set? sure, why not, but he still needs to listen to the other 99% of my advice.

>He doesn't think building trades which involve waterproofing should be licensed
Go ahead and hire a tile guy with no license and see how long your install lasts.
>>
>>977174
I've never heard of anyone in the tiling trade need a licence. Just now had a quick Google Search and it turned up complete nonsense. Must be some retarded bullshit where ever you are.

>caulking
Right. I'm not sure what idea you have in mind but it's certainly not caulking. It sets as hard and as strong if not stronger than normal tile adhesive.

A lot of tradesmen use gripfill as an alternative to tile adhesive as its quicker, stronger and brilliant for some surfaces, especially ply backed.

>other 99%
#notAllMorons

I wouldn't have thought anyone is that stupid, to think you could add more compound and have it sit level with existing materials, but of course I went off OPs question of 'what glue'.
>>
>>977174
I don't even have a reaction face for the term 'licensed tiler'. Licenses are fucking cancer that kill homeowners from doing their own repairs or risk insurance not paying out.

Pablo the Tiler is sure as shit not going anywhere near my shit regardless of whether he has a license or not. Let alone at what he would charge since it would be 'restricted work'.

The only thing that should need a sign off are electrical works.

Having built my own house I can tell you the licensing is a bunch of shit. Just because someone has a ticket doesn't mean they do good work nor does it usually even hold them to responsibility in the real world.
>>
>>977174
Oh and just another quick mention, I have no 'licence' and have done all my own floor and wall tiling work. Oldest being about 12 years back. Still fine.

Lol, licence to tile.
>>
File: FullSizeRender 18.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
FullSizeRender 18.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
>>977184
Wow you're really upset somebody has a suggestion a bit more involved than "put some glue on it". OP doesn't necessarily need to do it the right way, but seeing as I'm here I wanted to let him know what it was.
>never heard of professional certification before
Well, here in America you need to prove you are competent in your trade before you can open up your own shop. same thing for plumbers, electricians, nurses or engineers.
>I've done my own tile before
Post your tile work and i'll post mine and then we can compare who should have an opinion on what is and isn't required.
>>
>>977198
>Well, here in America you need to prove you are competent in your trade before you can open up your own shop

In the US you need to have certification to ply a trade that could get someone killed and/or cause a significant amount of ancillary damage if fucked up.

In no realistic scenario is tile either of these, and, as such, there's no such thing as a "tiling license".
>>
>>977198
Wow you're getting every cent out of that licence you bought.

If I think to when I'm home I have no problem with that, bare in mind it's not my source of income so I'm 'unlicensed'.

I am Infact an engineer by trade and yes there is a certification of competency but it's not mandatory. Simply because of everyone had to have a licence to trade, as you put it, no one would be able to learn the skills required.

So that's what you're getting at, your trade is for the most part a basic skill that you're trying to sound off as though it's equivalent in skill as to say, stone masonry. It's not.

Anyone can buy a 'licence' chum. Get off your high horse.
>>
>>977199
You've never seen a failed showerpan rot out and fall through the 3rd story of a house then, got it. There is tons of liability building shit around water, which is why it requires a demonstration of competence.

http://www.cslb.ca.gov/
C-54 ceramic tile and stone license.

It's a real thing bro. Some people take their job seriously. You setting some 4x4s on some durock one time doesn't make you an expert in the trade.
>>
>>977200
It's issued by the state and you have to take a test, not quite as invloved as an engineers cert but you gotta know your trade. You don't get to take the test till you're a proven journeyman with minimum 5yrs experience and signed off by a boss who oversaw your work.

Nobody can 'buy' the license here, chump, so why dont you get off YOUR high horse.

Still haven't seen any of your work yet either.
>>
>>977200
Tile is just as involved as stone masonry if not more so. Might not be as involved in terms of the loads involved but quality tile installs are super complicated in terms of technique needed to execute properly and avoid failure. You don't just decide you can float a mortar bed shower over a scratch coat one day and then set marble on it. Stop trying to belittle a trade you admit you know nothing about.
>>
>>977209
Hahaha. Brilliant.
>stone masonry
>tiling
>>
>>977200
Furthermore, the problem of unlicensed tile setters is actually a large and ongoing issue in my industry. Moronic hacks who spent a few weekends learning the ropes who then go on to underbid real craftsman drive down prices and give the trade a bad name with shoddy workmanship and failed jobs. So, you are correct that there are people who work without a license, but if you want to know your job will go well and look right you should hire somebody willing and able to demonstrate a mastery of the trade.
>>
File: JewsInSpace.png (517 KB, 962x733) Image search: [Google]
JewsInSpace.png
517 KB, 962x733
>>977210
>>
if you were starting from nothing and wanted to put that stuff on the entire wall I would use thin set mortar but for just a repair, use Loctite PL construction adhesive
>>
>op wants to stick a tile back on the wall
>no you need a master mason to repair it
>use this complex bullshit
just go buy a tiling compound from the hardware store.
>>
>>977864
This... Essentially this.
>>
>>977864
>premix
Not even once
>>
>>977959
It's for one tile, who even cares. He's not going to buy a 20lb bag of stuff to stick one tile back onto the wall. Sure it won't be as good as doing it properly but if that one tile comes lose in another 5 years, he can just do it again.
>>
Thinset. Use a wire brush and/or some mild cleaner to prep the surface so this doesnt happen again. U will want to remove the old thinset from the tile with an angle grinder or similar... that will be the hardest part as that stone looks like it could be brittle
>>
File: Tile Lover.jpg (35 KB, 270x398) Image search: [Google]
Tile Lover.jpg
35 KB, 270x398
>>977183
>I don't even have a reaction face for the term 'licensed tiler'
>>
>>977864

/thread
>>
>>977183
Dont forget about plumbing. Sure, bad plumbing might not kill you but it's going to ruin the house almost as bad as an electrical fire.
>>
>>976581
If you want it prufeshunul, do it with thinset. If it's a single piece that's off, I'd personally clean off the excess crap from the back and use a polyurethane construction adhesive like PL premium. You can adjust depth as you put it on, it lasts forever.

It's not grouted, right?
>>
>>977959
>The licensed tiler only gets callouts to jobs where superglue didnt work
>he doesnt see 99% of single tile failures
>>
>>979289
kek saved.
Why is your country so shit that you don't have professional certs for builders?
>>
>>979571
I don't do repair work, only high end remodels. Torn out plenty of shit jobs where hacks half assed the install with shitty methods like glue or premix though. They came up nice and easy.
>>
>>979633
>they came up nice and easy

So OP shouldn't be swinging off his wall tiles, got it.
>>
>>979645
>implying I implied that
OP should do what he likes. The fact that he had a tile come loose in the first place suggests bigger problems than patch material choice.
>>
>>979632
>so shit

Well for basic trades like this, certs aren't required because generally speaking, the population isn't made up of overweight spastics with their minds constantly on a cheese burger.
>>
>>979633
>implying repairs would be as well finished as a fresh install
>implying the term 'high end' isn't anything more than the same shitty job he does day in day out anyway

You're very pretentious.
>>
>>979654
>A single loose tile
>indicates other problems
Bullshit. Tiles fail. Theyre the worst most pretentious antiquated flooring/wall covering possible. Nobody who likes tiles belongs on diy. Diy likes easy to clean sealed shower rooms with flat smooth lino floor to ceiling. So you can piss the walls clean then high pressure your walls instead of scrubbing grout.
>>
File: 1457861289783.png (119 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1457861289783.png
119 KB, 400x400
>>979769
>>
>>979632

>implying "Professional Certs" and "Licence" is the same thing.
>>
>>979632
>professional certification
my country requires me to hire an electrician to replace a light bulb. australia here. obviously straya has a certain disregard for the law as 99% of liability related law is created solely for the pleasure of insurance companies so that they dont need to pay out life insurance if you die doing this.
>>
>>979764
>High end isn't a thing
You don't know what you're talking about and tile is the least pretentious trade in existence except maybe for finish carpentry or cabinetmaking.

Job grades are as follows:
>commercial grade
kitchens and bathrooms for chain restaurants, banks and shit, functional only.
>residential
Normal style installations of regular materials, on a budget, maybe a tract home, nothing special, functional
>high end residential
Luxury materials like marble and hand made tile, works with a designer usually, job costs $$$$

>>979779
See the above link to the CSLB.gov website and do some reading about the state licensing provisions, it amounts to the same thing. Must have a verifiable level of expertise in chosen trade, as well as basic working knowledge of business laws and tax code.

>>979782
There are licensed tilers in 'straya' mate I follow a bunch on instagram

>>979769
A proper job shouldn't have loose tiles chum, tiles cracking or coming loose indicates failures in the substrate or just overall incompetence on the part of the installer.

>>979760
>Basic trades
Tiling isn't basic. Now carpet, that shits basic.
>>
Goddamn this thread is autistic.
Its a single fucking tile.
>>
>>980049
You're like a a small dog who just got poked with a stick.

If there were an award for DIYs #1 Cucklord Autistic, you and your high end tiling would have just won it.

>stands in cuckshed
>wife banged by Tyrone
>at least I have my high end tiling and licence tilers on instagram to respect me
>>
>>980245
>#1 autist
Have you even been in the thread where the guy wants to make his own concrete without a kiln? You should lurk more.
>>
>>980298
loled, so true.
>>
>>980298
I saw the opening post and avoided it like the plague.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.