[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cleaning old silver yes or no?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: old-silver-cup-vine-7561146.jpg (16 KB, 400x368) Image search: [Google]
old-silver-cup-vine-7561146.jpg
16 KB, 400x368
Sorry if this is the wrong board, dont really post here.

I recently inherited some old goblets that are silver but theyve become black and the inside of them has wine stains (from the acidity?).

I'm wondering not how to clean them, but whether I should or not? I don't plan to sell them but is it better to keep them in their original, faded condition?
>>
It really depends on the items themselves. If these are a set that were purchased retail-like then its probably safe to restore them to silver shine to get the most value out of them.

If they are are made by a particularly desired manufacturer or artisan, and wanted by collectors for their provenance; then its best to leave them as-is until directed otherwise. (This is few and far between, we're talking about silverware used in the Lincoln household and stuff sold at places like Tiffany)

Coins you never ever clean.
>>
>>973621
If you plan on keeping them to possibly use and hand down, then clean away.

There's commercially available silver polish available at stores. But you can make some at home.

Start easy by using an aluminum cooking pot or a steel pot lined with foil. Fill it with hot water and a tablespoon of powdered laundry detergent. Drop it in and wait for the tarnish to disappear as much as it will, about a minute or two. Rinse in cool water and dry off. A good portion of the heavy tarnish will be removed.

Next I find ketchup works best. Ketchup on a rag and buff away. Rinse, wash, and dry once polished.

Its possible that heavily tarnished silver will have lost its smooth polished sheen even once the tarnish is removed. In this case youll need a fine buffing compound and plenty of elbow grease.
>>
>>973628
Yeah, theyre hand made and have the makers mark on them. I actually couldnt find anything by the maker that wasnt cutlery though, so i guess that means theyre slightly rare?

>>973630
thanks, they've gone pretty dark and have not only wine stains but also corrossion on the exterior from oily fingers. Do you use the buffing compound aafter the pot method? Is that redox reaction with the foil?
>>
the internet says use a decent polish such as http://www.amazon.com/Wrights-thomaswi-Silver-Cream-Polish/dp/B000WHXQWK and buff with a good micro fiber or similar cloth
>>
>>973646
Yeah, the foil is a redox reaction.

If you're unable to find anything detailing what you have in your possession based on the maker's mark then it best to get an appraisal before you procede.

But, again, if this is something you plan to keep in the family and hold onto, then there's no joy in letting it sit all tarnished and unused and not being able to enjoy it.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.