[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DIY BBQ
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 24
File: 69437.jpg (47 KB, 435x288) Image search: [Google]
69437.jpg
47 KB, 435x288
Hi Guys,

Summer is coming up and that means time for BARBECUE.

Do you own a DIY bbq?

I'm planning on making pic related.

Do you guys have any advice what material i could use for the charcoal tray? It doesn't seem cost efficiënt to buy 2 grills..
>>
>>973091
Thick sheet of steel? Go to your closest scrap yard and try to buy something like this from them.
>>
File: 1621.jpg (98 KB, 605x522) Image search: [Google]
1621.jpg
98 KB, 605x522
>>973107
This, cheapest way to get something like that is to scavenge from some scrap yard, they'll sell you a scrap bit of steel dirt cheap and it doesn't exactly have to be complicated so you'll pretty much be guaranteed to find something to fit the bill.

If you haven't layed bricks before, take your time setting up the area, making sure it's level and get your string lines and plumbs in order, nothing worse than having to rush or stop in the middle because something is out of whack and ending up with a grill where the sausages roll off because it's not level.

Picture sort of related, cool ass hidden grill.
>>
File: 1522.jpg (94 KB, 605x494) Image search: [Google]
1522.jpg
94 KB, 605x494
>>973161
>>
>>973091
Go buy some cast iron loaf pan or something?
>>
I had a galvanised steel box made by a hvac supplier to fit my brick stand. Use rolled steel angle set in the mortar to sit the box on. You might need to fabricate this to yourself though. Weld two pieces back to back to form a bracket.
>>
>>973091
Do you even grill? You need a way to control temperature. Your pic related would work for hot dogs but not much else. There are so many different styles of grills because there's many ways to BBQ (Fuck off "only smoking brisquets is BBQ" assholes). What do you plan on doing?

What is going to be your fuel source? Charcoal or hardwood? Propane is a fine option as well but you'll lose the smokey-ness from wood based heat.

I'd seriously ditch your pic related inspiration because it sucks. A weber kettle would be 100x better because you can control the heat. Your pic related is a waste of resources. Wasted heat because the firebox is not enclosed. Wasted shoes when the coals drop onto them. Wasted brick because it's a retarded design.

Where I live my pic related is pretty much standard - fired by red oak. Tri-tip goes on top.

You can make a good grill out of almost anything but you need to keep some basics in mind: contain the fire, control the heat - by grill movement or airflow and enough grill area to cook all that glorious beast.
>>
>>973198
Typically you move the tray of charcoal or whatever up and down. OP would have to put bricks sideways, protruding inwards on different levels for the charcoal tray support. Then you just move it up or down to adjust heat.

Regardless, cooking food over a fire isn't as complicated as you make it sound. I like to wrap shit in tinfoil, bury it, and burn over it for as long as possible to cook veggies and shit. Nothing complicated about it.
>>
>>973200
>Then you just move it up or down to adjust heat.
Oh great, let me just grab this red hot fire box and move it up or down a peg.

Yeah, grilling is about as basic as it gets. All you need is a fire and a stick. You still need to control heat though. Either by adjusting the distance of the food to the fire or adjusting the airflow the fire gets.
>>
>>973188
>galvanised steel
Don't do this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_fume_fever
>>
>>973200
Wy want you move the burning coaltay you move the food up and down
>>
>>973217
>what is a handle

Do you just grab pans off the stove by the rim?
>>
>>973188
Please don't tell me you're using galvanised steel as part of your BBQ? That shit will kill you
>>
>>973217
You're one of those dumb fucked that can't think logically, aren't you?
>>
File: hqdefault[4].jpg (15 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[4].jpg
15 KB, 480x360
>>973260
>You're one of those dumb fucked that can't think logically, aren't you?

Are you suggesting that moving the fire is better than moving the grill?

> DIY logic
>>
File: smoker.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
smoker.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>973231
Not that guy, but....because every charcoal grill on the market adjusts the fire, and very rarely do I move the fire while I'm cooking. It's easy to move both if you suspend it.

>>973091
I don't like the lack of top and lack of heat shielding between my knees and the charcoal. The only thing I see this design useful for is looks and cooking anything thinner than your palm which is grilling, not barbeque.

I want to DIY a smoker of similar design to my current grill, except with thicker steel, welding the smoke box to the main barrel, and better sealing the tops and doors to help maintain steady temperature while smoking. Pic related.
>>
>>973268
Why in the fuck would you want to move the actual cook top? Are you mentally retarded or have you never used an actual grill in your life?

If OP is a pussy and can't use a tray with handles and wear gloves to move the tray, he could put holes in the mortar and run stainless steel wire through it, under the tray, and build a pulley sort of thing on the outside. This seems like overkill when you could just move the fucking tray. If you know what you're cooking, why would you move it halfway through anyways?
>>
>>973311
>If you know what you're cooking, why would you move it halfway through anyways?

Fire doesn't burn at a constant temp. Raising and lowering (or adjusting air vents) lets you keep the food cooking at whatever temp you want. You can also reload more fuel.

Pic related is a nice setup with the split grill.
>>
Dude just an Hero, your girlfriend doesn't want to barbeque without buying barbies anyways.
>>
File: 920x920[1].jpg (108 KB, 920x612) Image search: [Google]
920x920[1].jpg
108 KB, 920x612
>>973311
>Are you mentally retarded or have you never used an actual grill in your life?

I have used every type of grill except a big green egg.
>>
File: gus-bbq[1].jpg (35 KB, 383x285) Image search: [Google]
gus-bbq[1].jpg
35 KB, 383x285
>>973311
>Why in the fuck would you want to move the actual cook top?

Someone should tell these idiots that they don't know what they're doing. They should be lifting the fire closer to the meat.
>>
File: Santa-Maria-BBQ-4[1].jpg (64 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
Santa-Maria-BBQ-4[1].jpg
64 KB, 480x640
>>973311
>run stainless steel wire through it, under the tray, and build a pulley sort of thing on the outside

Look at these assholes not using a pulley to lift the fire closer to the meat. Those madmen.
>>
>>973324
>>973322
>>973327

Huge scale BBQ =/= personal use small backyard barbie.

Yes a pulley system on the grill is fine when you've got a barbecue the size of a bed, but if you have a small tray of coals picking it up is easier. Shit you could just get some vice grips and move it with those.

In the end both options are viable, it's just a matter of how much work you want to building a shitty little backyard barbecue.
>>
>>973227
>>973259

Sorry to disappoint but I've shown no symptoms and I'm still here years on.
>>
File: 10_ft_trailer[1].jpg (41 KB, 612x408) Image search: [Google]
10_ft_trailer[1].jpg
41 KB, 612x408
>>973311
>If OP is a pussy and can't use a tray with handles and wear gloves to move the tray,

Oh shit anon, they're mobile too. If you see one of these failures at grilling make sure to tell them they are pussies for not lifting the fire to the meat.
>>
>>973331
I've smoked for 15 years and I don't have cancer, smoking must be completely safe.
>>
I've never once seen a BBQ with movable fire pit. It also makes no sense.

>>973091
>Do you guys have any advice what material i could use for the charcoal tray?

Anything solid works, just fill it with a layer of sand or pea gravel.
>>
>>973333
>implying no one dies
>>
File: P1040151+%2528Medium%2529[1].jpg (118 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
P1040151+%2528Medium%2529[1].jpg
118 KB, 1024x768
>>973328
>Huge scale BBQ =/= personal use small backyard barbie.

They come in all sizes.
>>
>>973337
Everybody who doesn't have a lifting grill, dies.
>>
>>973337
What?
>>
>>973338
Thanks for not reading the rest of my comment, proved you're a real idiot.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (191 KB, 1267x818) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
191 KB, 1267x818
>>973227
>>973259
>>973333

I'm having real concerns over how people are making BBQs and fire cans out of hot dip galv steel, selling them, and not being shut down by health agencies?

What next? Cars without seat belts?
>>
>>973344
What's next, people sell cigarettes?
>>
Don't worry OP, I got you covered, check out this beauty.
>>
File: build-a-brick-barbecue.jpg (24 KB, 249x187) Image search: [Google]
build-a-brick-barbecue.jpg
24 KB, 249x187
>>973351
Helps if I attach the picture.
>>
>>973341
>Thanks for not reading the rest of my comment, proved you're a real idiot.

It's all good. I'm just yanking your chain.

Whats important is that OP does not build that crappy one in his pic. It's just a bad design all the way around.
>>
>>973389
It's probably because when typing in "Brick barbecue" into google images that style is the one that comes up constantly.
>>
>>973268
Jesus you fucking spastic. He can easily move the tray by adding these simple things you may have heard of called HANDLES

These miraculous contraptions will allow the user to move the grill closer to, or further away from the fire, thus altering the cooking time.
>>
>>973344
Yeah, I mean it's not like cigarettes were ever marketed as being safe or anything.

It's not like people ever worked on construction sites without helmets or anything

It's not like cars were ever sold without seat belts for decades or anything

Obviously all those things were safe to do until somebody decided otherwise.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_fume_fever
>>
>>973344
Probably because the temperatures required to cause problems aren't reached by burning charcoal (without aeration, that is). Burning charcoal doesn't even get steel red, much less hot enough to vaporize zinc.
>>
>>973227
>>973259
>That shit will kill you
No. No it won't. Doesn't get hot enough.
>>
>>973400
>didn't get it

It won't do anything.

>muh cigarettes
Poor way of trying to bolster your argument.
>>
>>973280
not in germany the fire is on the ground and you can slide the grillrack in like 3 different heights over the fire
and someone says germans overengenier shit
>>
>>973328
wy the fuck do you need a pulley to move your food in in germany in every fucking bbq theyr smal hooks whatever in the side of the bricks and then you have like 3 different heyghts where you put the grillrack but maybe your american fataass 20 pound steaks are to heavy so its easyer to move the fucking coals
>>
File: rocket stove.jpg (195 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
rocket stove.jpg
195 KB, 1280x720
Rocket stove. They're fuel efficient and small ones can be built in under a minute with material on hand.
>>
>>973852
but you cant realy make bbq on them because they are to hot your steak woulkd be charred outside and is still raw inside

but you could make soup or chilli con carne
>>
>>973495
Pure zinc only need about 600 degrees Fahrenheit to spit fumes.
It is very VERY expensive in its pure form. Anything you buy that's galvanized uses zinc alloys. It dramatically brings the fuming point down, and there are other heavy metals that will offgass with it.

It's a bad idea
>>
File: hibachi[1].jpg (21 KB, 450x308) Image search: [Google]
hibachi[1].jpg
21 KB, 450x308
>>973828
>wy the fuck do you need a pulley to move your food in in germany in every fucking bbq theyr smal hooks whatever in the side of the bricks and then you have like 3 different heyghts where you put the grillrack but maybe your american fataass 20 pound steaks are to heavy so its easyer to move the fucking coals

We like infinitely adjustable temperature control. BBQ is a big part of our cowboy/rancher heritage and we take it very seriously for some reason. What is the grilling scene like in Germany? What do you cook? I don't see you cooking large slabs on those.
>>
>>974335
They used to cook jews
>>
File: kelso-burn[1].jpg (29 KB, 601x350) Image search: [Google]
kelso-burn[1].jpg
29 KB, 601x350
>>974347
kek

We all know what shitty job they did of that.
>>
>>973315
As a Mason I Will say that those blocks will fail. Cinder blocks will crumble and break due to the heat. Use fire brick on the inside to prevent that . Then cover the outside with brick or stone.
>>
>>974335
https://www.aldi-sued.de/de/sortiment/aus-unserem-sortiment/grill-sortiment/
i think most germans cook things like that
>tfw the grilled steak is only the half size of the raw because the water they pumped in it is >vaporized
>>
>>974355

kek

greetings from Deutschland!
>>
>>974970

I prefer to buy my meat from the butcher.
Like the ones you have in the Edeka or Netto.
>>
>>973824
Nobody cares what some euro "grills" in a public park. Half of what you are making is cooked already.
>>
>>973327
They'll all die of lung cancer or colon cancer. Neat!
>>
Friendly reminder that red meat increases the chances of cancer.

Friendly reminder that charred food is a carcinogen and increases chances of cancer.
>>
>>976069
Friendly reminder that being alive increases your chances of dying
>>
File: SmokerBuild2016.jpg (495 KB, 1454x928) Image search: [Google]
SmokerBuild2016.jpg
495 KB, 1454x928
Heres my build so far for this summer, it's a offset reverse flow smoker. Probably be all done with welding and painted in a few weekends. Weighing close to 700lbs at this point.
>>
>>976069
I'm pretty sure that humans have been charing food for nearly our entire history. Like 40k years.

It's not about to go out of style.
>>
File: IMAG0037.jpg (554 KB, 2592x1552) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0037.jpg
554 KB, 2592x1552
>>976145

looks familure. Wish I had a hoist when I was building mine.

[spoiler]and training[/spoiler]
>>
>>976145
>>976172
I'm gonna presume you're in the US? What do you burn in smokers?
>>
>>976172
awesome man

>>976188
ya in the US, whatever I can get cheap on craigslist, Oak, orange wood, pecan, birch, etc all work good, mostly use red oak because it's plentiful on the west coast.
>>
>>976161
Yeah, and the life expectancy of a male 100 years ago was 49.
>>
File: blend-4[1].jpg (23 KB, 355x355) Image search: [Google]
blend-4[1].jpg
23 KB, 355x355
>>976145
>>976172
Glorious work gents. May your coals be hot and your smoke plentiful.

>>976188
>I'm gonna presume you're in the US? What do you burn in smokers?

Apple if it's pork. On the west coast red oak is pretty standard. In the wine regions we've even used oak wine spirals. Used to impart oak barrel flavor in stainless tanks in wine making. You have to go easy on them because the wine flavor is strong.
>>
File: 20160411_214038.jpg (4 MB, 3600x1571) Image search: [Google]
20160411_214038.jpg
4 MB, 3600x1571
>>976145
got to work on it a little this weekend
>>
File: 20160411_214105.jpg (3 MB, 3042x1593) Image search: [Google]
20160411_214105.jpg
3 MB, 3042x1593
>>977133
firebox door made

still need to source a smokestack
>>
>>976069
im sure you mean that WHO study, right?

sausage and industrial produced meat ≠ Lean meat from the butcher

ps butchers add nitrite to your sausage because it should be nice red
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_nitrite
>>
I'm a butcher and i don't do that. Fresh or frozen only. Bacon cold smoked and salt sugar cured. Also your Wal-Mart beef is treated with carbon monoxide.
>>
>>976780
how could I make these? I need to colonize some dowel for making shitake plugs in the near future and they work better when maximum surface area.
>>
>>978398
>Also your Wal-Mart beef is treated with carbon monoxide.

Okay. And?
>>
>>978400
>how could I make these?

I suppose if you had a lathe you could work something out. I'd just buy them since I don't have the time or tools. Google "oak spirals".
>>
>>973490
>burning charcoal doesn't even get steel red
Every blacksmith in the history of man would beg to differ
>>
>>979248
You need to force air into the fire to make a forge.
>>
>>979275
Yes, but forging steel requires way more heat than "red". I'm just saying that a pile of glowing charcoal is plenty warm to turn galvanized steel red and releasing zinc fumes
>>
>>973200
>>973217
Not making a counterweight cable pulley system to float the heat source below the grill
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 24

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.