[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Insulating a box to trap heat
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: insulated box.png (54 KB, 1800x1200) Image search: [Google]
insulated box.png
54 KB, 1800x1200
Hiya /diy/, me and some mates are looking to make a box to store takeout food in and keep it warm. The idea is to be able to take it with us to pick up the food, (around 30 mins) and then get to our destination (20ish) and still have the heat.

I know nothing about insulation, but i do have some insulation foam left over from some hobby related projects, and i know it is meant to retain heat so i chucked it into my plan (pic related), but again i know nothing. Bestow unto me your wisdom oh gods of personal projects, how should i go about doing this? It doesnt need to be 100% effective, just effective as possible without rigging up electrics or buying expensive/lots of materials. Thanks!
>>
Protip: Look into what delivery drivers use. The pizza guy basically has a fabric box with insulation and mylar lining and it keeps a pizza warm for 20+ minutes.

Want to further improve that design? Add something warm to the box and keep it sealed, like a brick or pizza stone warmed up in the oven.

Insulation isn't that hard to do. The benefits of the pizza bag is that you can store it easily and it is food safe.
>>
mylar (space blanket)
wool
mylar

Layered like this the heat that gets through inner layer gets traped in the wool and second layer.This guy gets it >>972620

Also less than $20 gets you a little 12 volt heating blanket for the car. Dont like being a buyfag advise giver, I found mine in the trash with a busted plug, low wattage heating coil is useful.
>>
>>972586
Just use a cooler or insulated lunchbox and wrap the food in a couple of towels. If you want to be really fancy you need some sort of heat pack like a couple of chemical hand warmers next to the food.
>>
Some of the 12v coolers that plug into car cigarette lighters have a switch in them to change the Peltier between heating and cooling. If you happen to find one without a switch, its just a matter of reversing the polarity on the plug.
>>
>>972586
>2016
>Not stealing a Domino's Pizza delivery car
>>
The pizza hut around me sells those bags they use for 5 bucks. Just buy that.
>>
>>972586
I think you're looking for a styrofoam box.
>>
Preheat box before putting food in it
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.