[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have a whole big box of these. What do?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 7
File: jewel-case.jpg (20 KB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
jewel-case.jpg
20 KB, 360x360
I have a whole big box of these. What do?
>>
>>972208
Trash
>>
Put CD's in them.
>>
>>972209
but.. they were free..
>>
>>972211
Okay you got suckered into taking someone's trash.
Cut your losses and throw them away. Or start hoarding and stick this in your "easily stackable plastic bullshit" corner and be on the lookout for some old cafeteria trays.
>>
>>972223
But couldn't those trays be useful too?
>>
>>972225
Do your future aspirations include stuffing your domicile full of trash? If yes, then keep these CD jewel cases for a later date. If no, place them in the nearest trash receptacle and move on with life.
>>
>>972227
Maybe I can make a sculpture with them..
>>
>>972225
You know it, I'd also start being on the lookout during trash day for your neighbors used yogurt cups.
>>
>>972229
The plexiglass for the cover could be useful to make some kind of lamp sandwiching it along wood or whatnot.
>>
>>972208
If you stockpile even more of them you can line the walls of your house with them really thick to make it bulletproof!
>>
>>972208
well, if I had them i'd make some router insert plates so I could see the bit more easily from above.
Or diy blade guard for a tablesaw etc.
Or build a cabinet and make windows for it.
>>
Break the clear parts off, glue them together and make them into a antfarm.
>>
>>972691
Where can I find ants for it?
>>
>>972225

Cheap skid plate racing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySdPf-JfnAw

Actual skid plate racing uses a little more sophisticated set up, but if get a bunch of beater cars and some abandoned roads, this could be fun.
>>
>>972694
pour coke over them and put the farm onto some grass or in a wood for a few days
>>
>>972225
We used to steal them from the cafeteria to do donuts in the parking lot and to sled down hills.
>>
>>972694
I have big box of them, wanna trade?
>>
OP, how about this?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3183686/Turn-smartphone-HOLOGRAM-Device-old-CD-case-transforms-mobile-3D-projector.html
Just the first hit on google, there's plenty of other examples.

You can also use controlled heat to bend these into shapes, or melt them over existing heat-resistant products to create casts. If you're creative I would keep them and wait for an opportunity to use them again, they're not trash.
>>
>>972208
break the plastic into shivs and sneak them into prisons
>>
>>972208
Trim the sides and hinges off so you are left with nice square sizes.

Sell on eBay under model making laser cutting plastics sheets.
>>
>>972780
And proceed to get multiple claims on eBay because that plastic cannot be used for laser cutting.
>>
>>972789
Wait, what plastic are they made from?
>>
Put your mix tape in them and sell them out of your trunk
>>
>>972208
Vacuum forming?
>>
Sell them on eBay. I just bought a box on ebay otherwise I'd buy them from you.

There are plenty of oldfags like me who still like having and sorting CD's.
>>
jewel case + hot glue

get the transparent "thing"

break the 2 little legs

glue it to another transparent thing

build boxes, castles, bridges, whatever

have fun

I once did a hamster cage using that and a small wood plank (1 foot by 1 foot plank)
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>974090
>>974089
>>974088
These all look like shit.
>>
>>974088
>>974089
>>974090
Thanks anon. I was really starting to think they were useless.
>>
>>972208
This is not trash. This is perfectly good, clean material do make new stuff. Just make shredder and extrusion machine: http://preciousplastic.com/machines/
>>
Melt them, draw the melted plastic into small threads make a loom weave it, put multiple layers together sink it in an epoxy to hold it together.

Shoot that shit and tell me how well it works.
>>
>>974176
>http://preciousplastic.com/machines/

Cheap and easy....as long as you have a massive fully equipped workshop, a friend with a laser/waterjet cutter, and most of the parts just laying around in your warehouse of spare parts....
>>
>>974516
>massive fully equipped workshop
Any heterosexual man have welder, drill, bench grinder and angle grinder in garage/workshop.
>friend
You don't need friends to have fun.
>laser/waterjet cutter
He use this because he is a hipster. You can make this with tools mentioned above.
>most of the parts just laying around in your warehouse of spare parts
He just bought it from junkyard.
>>
>>972208
Get that mixtape out there senpai
>>
>>972705
i agree looks fun
>>
>>974176
>This is perfectly good, clean material do make new stuff
cd cases are shit. All they do is break, they are beyond fragile.
>>
File: 024.png (111 KB, 347x311) Image search: [Google]
024.png
111 KB, 347x311
>>972757
holy fuck my sides
can't stop visualizing anon standing there holding a big cardboard box loaded to the brim with live ants
oh my god! they're getting everywhere!
now you'll never get them all back in the box
they're worse than legos
>>
Melt the two plastics differently and create a dildo from it.
>>
>>975874
new here?
>>
a cubical photoframe
by joining the cases in form of a cube and putting pictures inside the cases
>>
>>972803

probably poly-carbonate
>>
>>975874
reddit is that way, kid
>>
Make a led lamp
>>
>>972208
Disposable coasters, nice..
>>
>>975874

Imgur faggot detected
>>
>>977841
They're too slick for that, in my experience.
>>
>>977901
The only conceivable thing I can think of is using them as plastic sheets to heat up and bend into desired forms, but if you're here asking how to use trash most effectively, I doubt you're the type to do that.

It's not like those things are made out of decent plastic anyway, they snap super easily. And using them as-is would be ugly as fuck and appropriate for approximately nothing since they're full of holes and edges that don't line up.

alternatively, use them like actual jewel cases and >>975556
>>
File: hidden-safe-can-cd-case.jpg (108 KB, 479x523) Image search: [Google]
hidden-safe-can-cd-case.jpg
108 KB, 479x523
You could print out some shitty CD covers for shitty artists and make some of these things
>>
>>972208
>>976195

You could take the transparent parts, fix them to the wall like tiles, and use it as a whiteboard. Keep in mind, this works best with a white or at least light coloured wall - of course you can put some white material behind the cases, like paper, or even paint the insides of the covers white. If you have enough CD cases, you could make a huge whiteboard, and it doesn't even has to be a rectangle, you can shape it easily to fit your needs.

The cubical photoframe is also great idea, you could even put some LEDs inside the cube.
>>
>>977914
>You could take the transparent parts, fix them to the wall like tiles, and use it as a whiteboard.
The seams between them would get in the way of your writing unless you snipped them off and melted them together, then sanded it all smooth.
>>
>>977904
this is actually a pretty good idea
>>
>>977916
I think he sanded the sides a bit, the cases would fit together well enough to be usable as a whiteboard, of course it wouldn't be as good as one continous surface, but still.

I'm not sure if he could wipe the ink off completely, if he sanded the whole thing.
>>
>>972208
give it to someone who really need this, ask people if they need box, someone is in need because you can give
>>
put cps and mixtape inside them and sell for $$$ you will be surprised how many $5 five dollar bills you will get selling music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Epdo4Xyr9t4&ebc=ANyPxKpka_i9FhHnDLxcewyXMI9NYgZMhA0ftu3zi9hgFfU3DfJRHU-3qrn0Rxdu9wNO0kk07Ba6fAnjlqMweeCYLbqNo_3j4A
>>
melt plastic and form a dildo and insert in ansu
>>
Melt it down to make a big dildo
>>
>>979321
Ayyy
>>
>>977786
Bullshit, way too brittle to be polycarbonate.
>>
>>972208
If they are not scratched you can try making hand drawn holograms.

http://www.amasci.com/amateur/holo1.html
>>
>>979563
Correct they are polystyrene
Fine for laser cutting.

http://www.research.philips.com/technologies/projects/cd/jewelcase.html
>>
>>972208
You can use them to protect those shiny frisbies the computer eats
>>
make me a mix cd
>>
>>980901
sorry I'm not a nigger with a garbage computer that needs gayVDs.
>>
>>972237
wonder if that would be good for insulation
>>
>>980936
You don't burn hard copies?
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.