[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to make a soldering iron from pic related? 24V 2A DC output,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: s-l1600.jpg (101 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
101 KB, 1200x1200
How to make a soldering iron from pic related?
24V 2A DC output, and also has a voltage adjuster
>>
>>972141

step 1: take apart toaster
step 2: put heating element from positive to negative
>>
>>972143
>take apart
The supply has screw terminals right there already
>>
>>972146

... yes, but you need to take the heating element out of the toaster
>>
>>972143
>>972146

I've wired everything properly to the screw terminals, made a small coil out of thin wire, put it between the output wires, but it barely produces heat
>>
>>972152

it may have short circuit protection
>>
it also has a green LED, when I plug in the psu, the led turns on, if i reduce the voltage output, it starts blinking, slower, as the adjuster is lowered.
When it's shorted, the led goes off.
>>972143
I have no spare toaster. Buying nichrome wire might help? (shame on me, recently threw away a hair dryer)

>>972157
According to ebay it has
Protection: Shortage Protection, Overload Protection, Over Voltage Protection
>>
>>972141
You buy a soldering iron for $5 off ebay, or you just heat up a nail on the end of a stick.
>>
>>972166
>Shortage Protection
would prevent exactly what you're trying to do
>>
>>972176

...(probably)
>>
>>972171
they look like pretty unsafe and have no money for the $100+ stations
>>
File: DSCN0169c.jpg (4 MB, 6704x4176) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0169c.jpg
4 MB, 6704x4176
>>972141
24v 2a is barely anything. Max is 48 watts. Even if you could get it working it'd be a little disappointing for soldering. You should also try using pencil lead instead of toaster filament.

This is 5v 30a 150 watts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk0-onROieY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq3ZVm94fjM
>>
>>972196
found another vid of it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlJF-N_iU0U
>>
>>972171
Look for a 936 soldering station.

Around 30 bux or 20 quid

Also grab a thermocouple to calibrate the station.
>>
>>972141
Step 1: Buy a 24V Cartage heater (http://www.ebay.com/itm/5pcs-3D-Printer-12V-24V-30W-40W-Heating-Pipe-Heating-Element-/351239392768)

Step 2: Do >>967852

Step 3: Hold cartage with locking pliers. You have 40 seconds before you Git Fuk'd by conduction.

Step 4: ????

Step 5: Profit
>>
>>972186
>unsafe
It's a hot pointy thing, of course it's unsafe.
>>
File: soldering_station.jpg (18 KB, 385x274) Image search: [Google]
soldering_station.jpg
18 KB, 385x274
>>972196
>24v 2a is barely anything

That is the power usage of these. Been using one for over 20 years.
>>
>>972196
> 24v 2a is barely anything. Max is 48 watts.
A 15W iron is adequate for soldering most components to a PCB.

Although a proper iron will probably be a bit more efficient than a DIY one.
>>
>>972166
Remove shortage protection.
>>
OP here

>>972436
Bit scared to mess with the circuit as it may fuck up the psu

>>972196
>>972197
I did my youtube research earlier, and found the pencil lead method aswell, but abandoned it as soon as my fresly bought pencil had less than 1/3 pencil lead size of the pencil and shattered easily. So today I bought 0.7mm pencil leads and a thick pencil which had pretty thick and long graphite.

The positive side of the 0.7mm kept shatterring and emitted bright light on contact. Using the thicker lead helped the shatterring and both glow red. As it started fully glowing red hot, it shorted and stopped, and started the process all over again.

Still need isolation to make it usable for daily usage
>>
>>972432
>>972414
I've never had luck with DIY low watt irons that were not using graphite. And, it is really nice to use a foot pedal with the graphite ones since you don't need to wait for them to heat up. Instant on and instant off. No problems with burning things when you do something stupid, or someone else does something stupid around your iron.
>>
>>972141
You need a heating wire which has at the length you require a bit more than 12Ohm resistance.
Calculate what you need, buy wire.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.