[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Homemade fuel bricks thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 3
File: sample-briquettes.jpg (65 KB, 600x486) Image search: [Google]
sample-briquettes.jpg
65 KB, 600x486
How good are 'fuel bricks' made of paper and various organic waste, compared to just (buying and) burning wood logs?

Waste paper, grass clippings and leaves are fairly easy to come by, so I'm entertaining the idea of producing my own bricks.

I'm wondering if the effort put into making them is worth it, or if they're just a meme I shouldn't fall for.

Does /diy/ approve of them?
Please share your experiences. Thanks.

Just a couple questions that come to mind after doing some research:
>What is the best ratio of paper vs other ingredients? (I suppose mainly the cellulose in paper is what keeps the whole thing together)
>Do you put holes into them? How many and how? (donut shaped ones made in DVD case molds seem like a fun experiment for beginners)
>How important is pressing them? (in terms of increasing their efficiency as fuel source for the extra labor)
>Your preferred drying method? How long does it usually take?
>Would you personally avoid using colored paper because of its toxicity?
>What additional household/garden waste do you put into them?

Anything else to consider?
Let's find the best ways to make them.
>>
I think you seldom see paper in these since it might be more cost efficient to use it for recycling.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1936
I use this to start fires in my wood burner. Cut the larger bricks into 1-2 inch cubes.
I get it in sale every spring for about $2us per box at Walmart. They always get rid of their seasonal items.
You might save some money by making your own, but what is your time worth?
>>
>>971560
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG9DKYCklLw
>>
>>971560
>he doesnt burn corn
stay pleb
>>
>>971563
Not all waste paper can be sold for recycling. (in certain parts of the world, none of it can)
So instead of just throwing paper in the trash, this way you can repurpose it at least.

>>971579
Yeah, but those are for starting the fire. The DIY fuel bricks on the other hand are supposed to serve as a replacement for regular wood logs and are rarely used as fire starters. They often point out that you need a very hot fire to even get them burning.

>>971586
That's a nice setup he has. But it's still a bit concerning how many steps it takes to make those bricks. Also requires
>home made blender utilizing power tools
>custom press with lots of welded metal parts
Let's start maybe with methods more suited for beginners.

>>971603
Corn husks do burn great. It's a good idea to use them as ingredient for these bricks. Also:

saw dust, wood chips/shavings
walnut, coconut and other nut shells
pine needles, all kinds of (preferably dry) leaves, straw, rice hulls
cardboard, newspaper and other paper waste

And probably many more kinds of organic stuff with high fiber content. Feel free to list more.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.