[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Briggs & Stratton 450E
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
A little over a month ago I bought a PoulanPro with a B&S 450E in it. So far I have used it 3 times. Each time but the first I have had to pull and clean out the carb. Any suggestions to prevent this? I am planning on adding an inline fuel filter from the tank to help catch any sediment. Just wondering if anyone had any other suggestions.
>>
>>970748
Mix it with your gas. Also run the mower until it runs out of fuel.
>>
>>970748
Youprobably hae some gunk and water (from condensation) in the fuel tank. Before you fit the filter, disconnect the fuel line and let the tank drain completely, toss away the waste gasoline (or use it for bbq starter) and fill it up with 90%gas and 10% ethanol. That shoul clean most of the shit out.

Also; since you wrote that you already cleaned out the carburettor twice, I'm assuming you already checked all valves, et c. If you didn't, et an air compressor and start working. Inside and outside.
>>
>>970748
Not to insult your intelligence but I'd consult your owner's manual. Simple machines and engines can have really finicky requirements most of the time. If you're not adding enough engine oil, or the wrong grade, or too much, or you're not doing the choke right, or you're priming it wrong with a return line valve that should be open when it needs to be closed, ect. A lot of shade-tree mechanics will overlook shit like that.

Without ever having meeting you or seen your shitty lawnmower I'm guessing it's the fuel mix.

Those goofy snake-oil fuel cleaner things might be a 4th option, after everything else has failed.
>>
>>970760
OP here. Not that it generally matters, but ASE Certified G1 and P2, because my job reimbursed me if I passed them. Priming as according to instructions and has the right amount of oil, ect. It is a "maintenance free" carb so no choke or fuel adjustment.
>>
>>970748
Your gas must really suck or they fucked up factory settings. I've gone through winters with old fuel left inside and these things still run in the spring.
>>
>>970750
+10 on this. I put Stabil in every small engine gas can I fill so there is always Stabil in every tank always. My lawnmower starts every spring and the snowblower starts every winter, and the chainsaw works any time I need it. I used to start every season cleaning some or other carburetors.
>>
>>970778
yeah you should be able to feed it trash gas and it'll still work

i'd clean dirty auto parts with gas, wait for the sediment to settle and dump it in the mower tank - starts up every time
>>
Use clean fuel from a clean container. If you have clogged it three times in one month you are doing something wrong.
>>
>>970772
Man, I'd start with the basics, still. I'm still assuming it's an issue with your fuel. Maybe the throttle, if it's feeding too rich and clogging the carbs. Does it have a governor? Could also have a bad carb, for whatever reason. Carb could be delivering a bad spray for some defect in it's internals.

I'd trouble-shoot it down to the carb. If the carb i fucked you can only replace it with a nother shitty carb, maybe with a different factory in China?

Whatever the problem is, I can guess that it's kinda 'dumb' or obvious, just in my experience. The super-mysterious gremlins with simple two-stroke engines are almost always some artifact of the specific design of that particular engine.
>>
File: 1456962884755.jpg (148 KB, 987x700) Image search: [Google]
1456962884755.jpg
148 KB, 987x700
>>970818
>lawn mower
>Does it have a governor?
>>
>>970882
Anything form this century will have.

>>970818
>The super-mysterious gremlins with simple two-stroke engines
>OP's pic shows a OHV 4 stroke.

They still sell 2 strokes in my country but they are getting rare due to mah emissions.

I have a pre governor 2 stroke model in the shed which I still use sometimes. OC related.

>Audio warning
https://i.4cdn.org/wsg/1459496129135.webm
>>
>>970748
Some sources say this stuff is better than Stabil. It's what I use, anyway.

That is odd, I have a 20 yr old mower with a similar B&S engine that starts on the first pull with little to no maintenance at all. Oil changes every two years and SeaFoam with the gas.

Your extra filter is a great idea, maybe shop around for better quality gas. My carb has never been cleaned ever.
>>
>>970748
I know this thread is a little old but are you storing your mower outside?
If you are, your carb is getting flooded with water, doesnt matter if its not raining its getting water in it
>>
>>970981
euro 2 emission standards and the entire european union is bullshit. being forced to buy a lawnmower that costs double just because its some fancy 4 stroke goodness that's been gimped by emission standards is horrible. its why more and more appliances like lawnmowers are going electric. not that an entire city running chinese 2 strokes are going to even compare to a single foundry's emissions. but wait, it wont even stop there. dyson has gone to shit because they need to comply to european emissions. no vacuums over 700w. give it time and they will be limitting electric lawnmower power. emissions standards are troll standards anyway. they've been faked for 30 years. I remember the old 300zx had a smog pump. air inlet to the exhaust to burn off unused fuel in the cat to fool emissions. its just impractical to run a vehicle that complies with emissions on roads designed 100+ years ago.
>>
>>972318
Didn't read thread, but i can attest to Sea Foam.
>seized engine
>buy seafoam apply 3 times a day in cylinder
>14 days later it started, purred and was great then on...
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.