[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I made my own foundry and am powering it with a hair dryer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: foundry.jpg (1013 KB, 602x1069) Image search: [Google]
foundry.jpg
1013 KB, 602x1069
So I made my own foundry and am powering it with a hair dryer and charcoal and have an old steel fire extinguisher as the crucible.

I was told it should get hot enough to melt copper but I can't seem to quite get it there. Tried today and after an hour and a shit load of charcoal it still wasn't hot enough.

Anyone have any advice on how to get this thing up to temp? I don't have a lid for it but I could make one, how much would that help?

Also I hear coal will give better results but I don't know where to find any.

Would making the diameter of the foundry help? So that I can get more burning fuel in there?
>>
File: wire.jpg (888 KB, 602x1069) Image search: [Google]
wire.jpg
888 KB, 602x1069
Also the metal seemed to be getting contaminated as fuck by all the charcoal ash floating around. How do I deal with that?
>>
>>970412
I think the problem with this type of forge is that most of your heat is blown out with the jet of air. You need an insulated lid with a little hole in the centre.

I think you would have better luck with a graphite arc or resistance furnace.
>>
>>970419
Alright, thanks for the advice, I'll try making a lid first as its the least work and if not I'll look into those other things.

How much money would they take to put together. Trying to be as cheap about this as I can.
>>
>>970423
Different anon here.

Roommate and I made the same furnace (got plans from King of Random) but since designed our own electric kiln. Ran us about $120 but that was including fuck ups. Strictly in parts you're looking at about $80. Nichrome wire and K23 firebrick lasts a hell of a lot longer than plaster of paris and charcoal.

The charcoal ran us about $5/firing, electricity costs are less than $0.50/firing. Pays off in the long run.
>>
>>970412
gas is cleaner, and get higher temp.
A lid and/or a heat exchanger will improve dramaticatly the efficiency of the foundry.
Gas contaminates the aluminum with hidrogen, but is not critical in most cases, and can be solved with a heat threatment if necesary.
>>
>>970443
Charcoal is free if you wanna make your own from scrap wood, etc.
>>
>>970412
Cover it over, use Coke or Anthracite - some charcoal burns way too quick, you're losing heat as you take the lid off and add more constantly.

Keep adding fuel, pack it tight around your crucible.

Or use gas or waste oil.
>>
Would something like this get hot enough to melt copper?

http://devil-forge.com/dfs-series/30-dfs.html

Friend of a friend has one and says he might sell it to me for cheap.
>>
>>971133
... did you even look at your link?
melting temp of pure copper is 1984F, forge claims to hit 2642F. even allowing for ideal conditions discount, easily. If you're worried, add a reflector to the front to keep more heat in.
>>
>>970413
>>970412

this style of forge is quickly becoming a dank meme

When I was at Menards getting plaster and a bucket, the guy ringing me up recognized what I was trying to do immediately. also as the other anon with the electric build said, it's a really shitty design.

that said, I had the same problem as you with the exact same foundry and fixed it by using a lid and adding more fuel to get it to burn harder

protip: don't use one like the guy in the youtube video did with the gaping hole in the top, just make closed top with whatever material you used
>>
>>970412
1: Lid. You're losing 25-50% of your heat through the top.

2: Use lump charcoal (looks like you already are, but in case you're using briquettes)

Beyond that, I'd agree, electric is the way to go for copper.
>>
>>970412
>hair dryer
get a blower. also propane injection on the intake.
of course if you dont want to work steel then just charcoal will be fine
>>
>>971580
>>971604
Thanks. Where would I get a blower? I might have an old leaf blower I could use but wouldn't that be kinda messy?

Also I wasn't gonna work steel with this thing, but I also just welded up a frame and make a forge from an old brake drum. Was hoping to make some shitty knives with it(will probably invest in a decent forge later but start small as I don't know what im doing now anyway or even how much I will enjoy it) I guess the same tips apply to that thing?
>>
>>970423
make a lid like this, just dont use your hands to remove it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHD10DjxM1g
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.