[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I recently learned how they used to make halftones for newsprints
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
So I recently learned how they used to make halftones for newsprints of photographs. They had a filter that was covered in tiny cones. The intensity of the light passing through the cone determined the size of the dot that would appear on the other side. Does anyone know what the formal term for these sheets are? I'd like to find some to make halftones from film negatives.
pic unrelated
>>
>>969745
Okay, so I've learned they're just called halftone screens. I know I could do this digitally, but I want to do it the old analogue way for no reason.
>>
>>969745
>>969827
Bigger discussion about this would be really cool. I've been making kind of an exploratory hobby of halftone silkscreen experiments. Wrote a couple of Gimp plug-ins to mess with myself.

As a contribution, some further reading about the big pitfall (or happy side-effect, however you look at it):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moir%C3%A9_pattern
>>
You need contact screens. They used to be common, Kodak and others made them. Not sure where you could find them now.
>>
>>969845
This being /diy/ I bet there's a way to improvise screens if OP's not looking for professional quality at the moment.
>>
>>969847
They're hundreds of dollars on ebay, so I'm sure that would be the best option.I can't even find images of the contact screens themselves. If we could get a good look, we could figure out how to emulate them.
>>
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/archive/index.php/t-108225.html

Dot screens can be used as a substitute.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.