[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
sup /diy/ maybe you can help me solve this. my truck is broke
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: help.jpg (34 KB, 1209x403) Image search: [Google]
help.jpg
34 KB, 1209x403
sup /diy/ maybe you can help me solve this. my truck is broke down out of town and I've got a friend with a trailer who thinks we can go get it but the problem is that the truck (A) doesn't run, so I'm not sure how to get it onto trailer (B) as it doesn't have a winch to pull it on with. I'm not certain what kind of trailer we're dealing with exactly, but I hope to find out and update this post. I would assume that the trailer has ramps since it is for hauling cars, but the problem is still how to maneuver the truck onto the trailer. I thought about taking the trailer off of truck (C) and using tow straps to pull it up onto the trailer, then reconnect truck (C) to trailer (B). I am told that this is not an option. The trailer must be connected to truck (C) the whole time.

Truck (A) is a full size, extended cab 4x4 so it's not exactly light. It took 3 guys to push it across the parking lot (though we probably could've done it with just 2). Any suggestions?
>>
Oh and I've thought of the option of having another truck (that drives) physically push my truck up onto the trailer, but I have no idea whether or not that would be an option. I could always call the place where my truck is sitting and ask if they have a beater truck we could use for that, but I prefer to keep that as a last resort.
>>
I think we also have the option of a flatbed wrecker truck that the facility has, perhaps we could use that somehow. I know these trucks have to have a way to get vehicles onto the flatbeds without being able to pull right up to them, or I would assume so anyway. Maybe they have chains that go out behind for pulling vehicles off the side of the road, for instance
>>
>>969734

do you have ratchet straps? get some people to push while another guy keeps the ratchet strap tight
>>
File: cable_large.jpg (9 KB, 450x244) Image search: [Google]
cable_large.jpg
9 KB, 450x244
>>969741
thats what come alongs are for
Only problem will be having to reset the come along since most of them arent that long, so you will have to bring some wheel chocks or strap the truck up while you reset.
>>
>>969734
By truck you mean Ute right?

just get like 4 guys and push it on you puss
>>
>>969818
This.
>>
Use a come along as someone else has suggested. If you're just loading the front end onto a dolly, be sure to research towing your vehicle. Depending on the transmission/transfer case setup, you may have to drop the rear drive shaft to avoid fucking over your drive train.
>>
File: download (1).jpg (7 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
7 KB, 259x194
OP here, not an ute, it's an actual pickup truck, full size, extended cab, 4x4. It's being loaded onto a trailer similar to this. it's not super high, but the truck is heavy
>>
it's a half ton pickup weighing in at just over 4,000 lbs
>>
>>969871
come along. thats your best easiest choice. if you try to push it you are gonna fuck up the ass of your truck when it shifts up onto the trailer. have dude back trailer up right in front of truck then slowly drag it up with come along.
>>
>>969734
Use ratchet straps as a winch.
>>
File: block-tackle-eg.png (533 KB, 3423x1502) Image search: [Google]
block-tackle-eg.png
533 KB, 3423x1502
Use the physics of mechanical advantage.
>>
>>970000
quads

will we physically be able to work the come along with that kind of weight pulling against it?
>>
Just push it you pussy. I just pushed my 4500lb truck up a steep ass driveway today by myself. I had to steer it as well and it was pretty fucking easy.
>>
Maneuver a second vehicle behind the truck. Put an old tire between the rear bumper of the truck and front bumper of the second vehicle. Use second vehicle to shove the truck up the ramp.
>>
I worked at U-haul for a few years. What you want to do is put some one in the cab of truck "A". Place the trailer, with the ramps down, as close as possible and perfectly inline with with truck "A". Truck "C" will then back up and shove Truck "A" at least some what up the trailer. When Truck "A" goes as far up the trailer as possible the first person will apply the brake to prevent it from sliding backwards and off the trailer. A 3rd person on the outside of the vehicles will then run up and place stop blocks behind the truck to prevent rolling backwards. Then they will attach a come along or ratchet straps to the front of the trailer and front (frame) of Truck "A". Begin to crank the truck up the trailer. You should have the strength to crank the come along but if you do not the just use a 'cheater pipe'. A Cheater pipe is just a piece of pipe you slide over the handle to increase your mechanical advantage. This will work without any issues. Make sure the person inside of Truck "A" does NOT get out of the vehicle. The truck may begin to roll forward after cresting the hump- and that will get expensive and ruin friendships lol.
>>
>>969871
>Back trailer a few feet in front of disabled truck
>Push truck as far as possible so the front wheels are firmly on the ramp
>Attach the truck with chains or straps going forward only
>One person sits in each truck
>Drive forward a few feet
>Step on brakes in towing truck
>Let disabled truck roll further on
>Step on brakes in disabled truck
>Tighten straps
>Repeat
>>
>>970309
Sure thing. Have hand winched a 2 tonne vehicle with one of those >>969759 before. Use the extra pulley to double your pulling power.

Check local laws re flat towing. If it has a proper transmission put it in gear so the engine is turning over for power steering and brake boost etc. If its a slushbox you will need a towing frame and put the transfer case into neutral or drop the tail shaft.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.