[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /diy/, I want to start making things out of wood but I have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6
File: pile-of-reclaimed-wood[1].jpg (180 KB, 898x450) Image search: [Google]
pile-of-reclaimed-wood[1].jpg
180 KB, 898x450
Hi /diy/, I want to start making things out of wood but I have no idea where to start. I've googled basic tools for beginners and read the woodgears.ca page for plebs and all that, but my problem is really putting this into real life.
Should I buy a sawhorse or a work bench/table? Apparently I should make my own, but if I do, what the hell do I cut my wood on? And how do I know what wood to use (type, thickness, etc.)? I know I want to try making a table but I don't have plans for any of it; no measurements, no idea what kind of wood I'd want. Not sure if I should get a jigsaw or a circular saw or both.
I have a couple questions regarding protection as well: Do I need any special respirators or masks if I'm just cutting stuff with a jigsaw or a circular saw? How loud are any of these motorized saws - should I get ear protection?
I did woodworking for a few months in highschool so I have a bit of knowledge of how things work, but it was an established woodshop with everything I'd need already there.
>>
>>993079
>I want to start making things out of wood
why?

>Should I buy a sawhorse or a work bench/table?
depends on your budget

>what the hell do I cut my wood on?
anything solid

>And how do I know what wood to use (type, thickness, etc.)?
depends on your budget

>Not sure if I should get a jigsaw or a circular saw or both.
depends on your budget; circular saw

>How loud are any of these motorized saws - should I get ear protection?
>I did woodworking for a few months in highschool
>it was an established woodshop
an "established woodshop" but they didn't have any motorized saws?

you should always use eye and vision protection
>>
>>993083
>why?
Because I want to make things. Specifically, I eventually want to build a large wooden terrarium as glass ones in pet stores only go up to a certain size.
>rest of the post
Assume budget isn't really an issue, I guess.
>an established woodshop without motorized saws?
We only got to use the bandsaw, so I've never seen them in use/had a chance to use the other saws.
>always use eye and vision protection
I've got plenty of safety glasses and goggles so we're good on that front.
>>
>>993079
dude, you're overthinking this

last year i built two tables and i used nothing but a cordless drill, a bowsaw, a handsaw and a sander(but you could just use sandpaper)

you can get the wood pretty much the size you want it from your local store, they'll normally cut it for you
>>
File: IMG_42721.jpg (634 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
IMG_42721.jpg
634 KB, 2048x1536
Get a table saw. Get a good one. If nothing else, get a good table saw as this will be 90% of your cutting. Then use that to cut the wood to make a basic table out of 2x4s and plywood. Or OSB, or whatever you can get.

Do NOT buy any modern craftsman tools, they suck balls. Not sure what your Craigslist is like where you live, but that's a good place to get old tools (which depending, can be better than a lot of new ones).

Table saw advice:
Cast iron top, make no exception.
If you have 100-300$ to spend, just find something with a cast iron top. Delta is great if you can find one cheap enough.
If you have more to spend, then look for a belt-driven AC motor. They're much quieter and will last a lot longer.

Then get a Freud Diablo saw blade, and you're good for the first few years of hobby woodworking. Just don't do what I did; don't get the one with the pointed carbide tips. Get the one with square tips, it'll make doing rabbets and stuff easier.

Get a drill and impact driver, cheap is fine. Lots of people sell their ryobi ones, those will do. Or get refurbished. The drill will do fine, you won't really want a drill press until you get good at stuff. The impact driver will help you quickly and easily build your shop tables, shelves etc.

Pic is me & part of my shop.
>>
>>993088
>Because I want to make things.
that's not very descriptive, you can't make something if you don't what that something is

>I eventually want to build a large wooden terrarium
you mean a base? those are not too difficult, pretty mush just a box

>We only got to use the bandsaw, so I've never seen them in use/had a chance to use the other saws.
they are loud and they are dangerous for people who don't know how to use them

don't worry about large equipment, you are far from that point

>I've got plenty of safety glasses and goggles
add earplugs to that list
>>
>>993090
It's hard for me to just jump into something without overthinking it, man.
>>993094
Thanks for the solid tips. Why the impact driver vs. a drill?
>>993096
Nigga the OP said I want to try making a simple table first. Flat top with four legs, maybe a shelf about halfway down the legs or something. Regarding the terrarium, pretty much a box yeah but with sliding glass panels for the front and some other holes at the top for lighting, and maybe some openings for vents.
>>
>>993100
Impact driver will quickly drive screws without stripping them. So easy you can do it one-handed. Also very useful for rough carpentry jobs.
>>
>>993100
>Nigga the OP said I want to try making a simple table first.
if someone is going to invest money into tools, they should have some idea of what they're going to use them for for it to be worthwhile

one could buy a decent table for less than what it would cost for the wood and equipment (which would be a good work table)

even just a saw, drill, router, and sander can add up in cost
>>
>>993101
Cool, thanks.
>>993109
I mean, there's various things I'd like to make but I didn't think it was necessary to list them all here. I know I could just buy a table but I'd rather learn how to make something myself instead of piecing pieces of ikea particleboard together.
>>
>>993111
well then get your basic equipment and get to it...read the manuals

you should be able to find anything you need to know by searching
>>
>>993116
Will do. I think writing out this post gave me the push I need to just go out and get it done. Thanks everyone.
>>
File: DSCF7682.jpg (704 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
DSCF7682.jpg
704 KB, 2048x1536
start with making boxes
>>
>>993150
then graduate to coffins
>>
Maybe just go to a hardware store and buy a bunch of cheap tools and just fuck around with simple projects from youtube tutorials, instructables and stuff like that. You can get plans on freewoodworkingplan.com. If you're only going to do the occasional hobby project you dont need craftsman-tier equipment but you can upgrade as you go.
>>
>>993079
Start by watching every episode of New Yankee Workshop. Then think about buying tools.
>>
>>993157
>Norm is god-tier
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
I would recommend a table saw and circular saw to start with. Tape measure is a must.

Honestly I first started out by tearing down wood pallets and reusing that wood. Pain in the ass, but it's free. Sometimes you can find some good stuff on Craigslist too in the Free section.

Don't dive in too deep at once. Start small and get used to the tools and build small things at first.

This is a workbench I made from untreated wood from Home Depot. Very simple design, yet sturdy, and relatively cheap for the size of the fucker.
>>
>>993079
if you want to get a new table saw from a home improvement store. Delta actually stands by their crap, and won't give you crap if something breaks.. I'm bias tho, I got a second hand 1950s delta saw, contractor style. and it was missing one of its wheel handcranks for the tilt. and I called delta for a part number, tfw guy said he would get back to me, 1 week later, get a call back. he actually fucking found one that came from that exact saw and sent it to me, FOR FREE.
>>
>>993157
I'd say watch some Woodwright's Shop first so you'll appreciate why Norm uses every power tool he can. The old ways work, and work well (with practice), but they take a lot of energy sometimes.
>>
File: normadeus.jpg (33 KB, 629x480) Image search: [Google]
normadeus.jpg
33 KB, 629x480
>>993157
>>993159
Seconding this. His workshop is very well-equipped, so in many cases you'd be using a different tool, but he's good at showing how things work.

My recommendation, if there are no pressing space or money issues:
Get two sawhorses (the heavier-duty folding metal kind with spots at each end to hold 2x4s). Use those, two 2x4s, and a sheet of 3/4" plywood to make your first work table. Later, when you have some experience, you can make a custom work table to exactly meet your needs, and you'll still have the sawhorses if you need extra space.

Get cheap corded tools - handheld circular saw, drill, and sander, and learn to use them well. These will give you basic functionality while you get used to working with wood. Later, get a nicer table saw and drill press. Depending on your interests, you might also get a compound miter saw, band saw, scroll saw, impact driver/wrench, router, planer, or jigsaw.

For hand tools, get a cheap claw hammer, rubber mallet, bit-holder-style screwdriver with driver bits, tape measure, ruler, carpenter's square, adjustable wrenches (or, if you can afford them, Knipex pliers wrenches instead), pencils, sanding block, and awl. Cutting tools really should be of decent quality, and if in doubt inspect the grind of the cutting edges before buying. You should have an assortment of twist and spade bits, a good circular saw blade (Diablo as mentioned earlier is very good), some chisels, a crosscut and a coping saw, and a countersink.

You should get a lot of clamps. Probably what you would currently regard as an unreasonable amount. You can never have enough clamps. Get an assortment of bar clamps. They don't have to be expensive, but you should have at least a few higher-end heavy-duty clamps for when you need them. Get a few hand screws and C clamps. Get an assortment of spring clamps for lighter projects (the metal kind are a lot more durable than the plastic kind). A band clamp can be nice to have too.
>>
>>993253
Wear eye protection whenever you'll be producing particles that will be flying through the air, working with power tools, hammering, or applying a lot of force to something (splinters can fly if it breaks). Wear ear protection if you'll be doing anything louder than using a hand saw. This includes almost all power tools (there a few exceptions, such as my metalworking drill press), as well as extended use of things like hammers. Dust from pine isn't too bad, but several kinds of wood dust are actually toxic. Look up woods before you work with them to be sure. A dust mask can be good to use regardless (unless you have a good dust collection system) as a comfort measure. Generally, finer dust is more hazardous, because it penetrates lungs better, so drilling isn't likely to be a problem, while finish sanding easily could.

To start out, build things from dimensioned pine and plywood (ease of working and low cost). When you're more familiar with how things work, experiment with hardwood and resizing your pieces (ripping and planing) as needed. I use pine and plywood for a lot of utilitarian stuff, but tight-fitting well-finished hardwood is more typical for furniture or other things for a residential setting.

Nails can be useful for light-duty connections or for pinning wood together until the glue dries, but I almost always use screws instead. On their own, they're much stronger, and used with glue they can be made to clamp the pieces together as they're tightened. I recommend getting familiar with using screws and glue in simple joints so that you can make basic but strong connections with confidence. later, look up and practice more complex joinery methods. They offer even more strength and a more refined look. Nuts and bolts can be suitable for larger joints, especially if they have to swivel or be disassembled later.

It's probably a good idea to get someone you know to guide you through things in person, or failing that, to get a decent how-to book.
>>
>>993254
>but several kinds of wood dust are actually toxic

reusing wood pieces with a finish on them can be horrible to sand....got that crap in my eyes before and started burning like crazy

WEAR GOGGLES
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.