[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /diy/ I'm looking at making and pouring casts to make
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: ring.jpg (55 KB, 600x581) Image search: [Google]
ring.jpg
55 KB, 600x581
Hey /diy/ I'm looking at making and pouring casts to make rings in. I was wondering what I should use to make the casts so that I don't get any impurities!
>>
>>969257
just fucking google it
>>
File: image.jpg (49 KB, 400x559) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49 KB, 400x559
I highly recommend finding a copy of this book.

Also small castings like rings and such are usually done with lost wax casting.
>>
>>969257
Hammer them out of solid stock instead of casting them.
>>
>>969257
What metal are you looking to work with? For the vast majority, lost wax set in extra smooth plaster is the best.
>>
OP you need this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Centrifugal-Casting-Machine-Centifuge-Apparatus-Crucibles-Equipment-/272181928168?hash=item3f5f4ea0e8:g:qUQAAOSw2ENW8QJG

And you will need a burnout kiln and various other things like
Kerr Satin Cast 20 Investment etc. etc.

Google is your friend
>>
Would it be possible to cast AR15 lowers? Had this idea for awhile.
>>
I'm trying to make a mold with indented lettering like OP's picture and I need to think of the best way to do it. Do I just have raised lettering in my mold?

If so what do you think the easiest way to do that would be? I'm thinking use harder clay, write the desired lettering into that, let it harden, then press softer clay into that in order to have the lettering be raised out in the second mold so that it shows indented in the metal?
>>
is that a stargate? Teal'c!
>>
>>969634
Not for less than you'd pay to just buy one. Economies of scale work on that.
>>
>>970404
The idea is they would be unknown to exist. I'd be willing to produce 10 at a premium.

Aluminums shrink rate is somewhat variable isn't it? I heard it roughly 3% as it cools.
>>
>>970564
You're looking for an 80% blank. They're unfinished, so you'll still have to do the same amount of finishing work as you would with a self-cast one and don't have to worry about a serial number. Again, economies of scale do *NOT* work for home casting items like that.

(Believe me, I tried...)
>>
>>970564
Oh, forgot to answer your question about aluminum shrink. It's generally 1/4" per 12" of horizontal, and 3/8" per 12" of vertical (1/8" per 4")
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.