[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to get ridiculously razor sharp knives in no time: Step
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 15
File: IMG_2718.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2718.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
How to get ridiculously razor sharp knives in no time:

Step one: Cut out 8" rounds out of MDF. I used a Jasper circle cutting jig, then drilled out the center hole with a 5/8" forstner bit. Use the appropriate sized bit for the arbor size of your grinder ofc. The Jasper jig makes flawless circles which will reduce the need for additional truing. I splashed boiled linseed oil on the disks, which probably isn't necessary.
>>
File: IMG_2719.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2719.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
Then you mount the wheel in the bench grinder. True the wheel by using a spindle gouge while it's spinning on the grinder.

I left this wheel square for general honing of knives and chisels.
>>
File: IMG_2721.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2721.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
Here is the wheel with the polishing compound applied.

I got it form Harbor Freight for $4. It comes in the form of a big crayon and it works fine.
>>
File: IMG_2723.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2723.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
I turned a radius onto the second wheel to sharpen inside curved knives and the inside of gouges and other oddly sharped cutting tools.

That's really all there is to it.
>>
I just watched this youtube video last night. Spoopy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZt6xcgyqb8
>>
>>969143
>be american
>obsess over knives and guns
>clean them, sharpen them, make them, waste all money on them, post shit online about them
>never have a legitimate use for them.
>>
>>969188
do you even know how to cut vegetables? I bet you fucking smash them with a rock.
>>
File: image.jpg (57 KB, 288x288) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
57 KB, 288x288
Thats a lot like those paper wheels some old coot used to shill on bladeforums.
>>
>>969199
I remember those. They're literally just MDF wheels shipped with buffing compound. $60 for two MDF wheels and a bit of polishing compound.
>>
real men sharpen with bare hands on a stone and does even a better job
>>
>>969193
Probably opens packaging using his teeth or nails too like the uncultured fucking savage that he is.
>>
>>969201
Top fuckin lel.

>>969202
It takes a lot of time to sharpen by hand.
Not all knives are worth the effort.
>>
>>969193
i don't need a motor and hadmade wheels to make some fucking dinner.
>>969204
i don't use a knife for packaging but i really enjoyed the irony in your accusation.
>>
>>969193
Only if the Queen approves his rock acquisition form. Otherwise he's back to eating off the floor, since tables were ruled as dangerous weapons and forcibly taken by the police.
>>
>>969205
You're on 4chan, you got 5 minutes to sharpen a knife.
>>
>>969262
Sharpening requires effort and concentration. This place doesn't.
>>
>>969187
This video is pretty awful, young britbong and his cheap ass garbage knives.
>>
File: IMG_2727.jpg (1 MB, 3067x1971) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2727.jpg
1 MB, 3067x1971
When I mean sharp, I mean ridiculously, stupid sharp as in "what is the fucking point" sharp.

I'm very happy with the wheel. Usually reaching this level takes a lot of time with a paddle strop after it's fresh off my finest waterstones.
>>
>>969338
>that polished edge
When my eyes focused one what the metal thing actually was I actually said "ohhh" outloud. Nice job
>>
>>969188
>cooking with dull knives
>>
>>969188
I'll pay money to watch you open a box with your teeth.
>>
>>969375
You obviously aren't a chef. It's in the technique, not the edge, and anyone with good technique can get the same result with any steeled edge.

The whole "sharpen it like a chisel til it can cut paper in midair" thing is both masturbatory and dangerous. With a steeled edge, it cuts when you tell it to; with an edge like that, it cuts anything that goes anywhere near it.
>>
File: 1459021268869.png (558 KB, 757x703) Image search: [Google]
1459021268869.png
558 KB, 757x703
>>969568
Oh god, you are so obviously not /ck/ its not funny
>>
>>969568
Dull knife for a dull mind.
>>
>>969568
>With a steeled edge, it cuts when you tell it to; with an edge like that,

You dont know what you are talking about
Using a steel or a hone on a proper edge makes a knife razor sharp, just as sharp as the paper wheel.

Only after the edge wears down, do you have to do a re profile of the edge with a stone to cut shoulders and create a good edge again. A steel temporarily keeps the edge alive.

The paper wheel in the OP creates a decent (but uneven) edge with 0 effort. Creating an edge with a stone is much more precise, and is much better off in terms of edge maintenece before it needs resharpened.

Blatantly saying that you are going to steel or hone a dull edge of a blade shows that you have literally never done it because it wont work.

You are right that OP is bad for chefs knives, but completely wrong as to why its bad.
Im glad you have such strong opinions on things you have no experience or knowledge on.
>>
>>969338
>mora
>/out/
Nice
>>
File: mrshiney.jpg (167 KB, 1020x636) Image search: [Google]
mrshiney.jpg
167 KB, 1020x636
all done manually
>>
>>969338
Nonsense.

Knife sharpness is about the angle of the edge, nothing more. Different sharpening tools are faster/slower/more/less effective at getting that angle, and different blade materials are more/less effective at keeping it, but in the end it all comes down to the same thing. There are no magic tricks.
>>
File: HollowGrinding.jpg (23 KB, 701x512) Image search: [Google]
HollowGrinding.jpg
23 KB, 701x512
>>969685
continued.

The MDF wheel is getting your blade so sharp because it's a wheel. That's all. You're putting a hollow grind onto your knife edge, which allows a very acute angle.
>>
File: Hollow-Grind.gif (11 KB, 356x270) Image search: [Google]
Hollow-Grind.gif
11 KB, 356x270
continued.

Hollow grinds are very sharp, but have disadvantages. The edge is less durable, rolls easier because it's so thin, and removes more material from your knife during sharpening.

There is no magic, local mom learns one easy trick here. It's about tradeoffs and whether it matches the intended use of your tool.
>>
Guys, I think you don't understand how little material a wheel like that will remove from a blade. The abrasive media is not sandpaper. It's chromium oxide, which is a mirror polishing-grade grit smaller than 1 micron. Even spinning at 2000 revs it will remove less material after several passes than a single swipe on a 200 grit stone.

This wheel is only for maintenance on tools that are sharp to begin with. Think of it as a super fast strop.

>>969670
I can do that on stones as well. I'm actually pretty decent at it. The wheel will maintain that 'just stropped' sharpness faster than an ordinary strop will.

>>969578
>but uneven
>bad for chefs knives
I disagree. It's as controlled as you want it to be. And why would it be bad for chef knives?
>>
>>969696
>And why would it be bad for chef knives?

kitchen knives need to be sharpened to a lower grit to be effective
>>
File: 8000g v strop.jpg (115 KB, 480x720) Image search: [Google]
8000g v strop.jpg
115 KB, 480x720
>>969685
The edge angle is important, but so is the final grit used to sharpen.

A straight edge's angle makes it sharper than any knife, but if it's not stropped and refined after honing on stones it will certainly turn your face into a Picasso painting.

If you look at the edge of a blade under a microscope even after honing with a very fine stone, it will appear jagged like a mountain range. The strop gets the final polish in while being more aggressive on the peaks because of the compliant surface of the leather, or in this case, MDF.
>>
>>969709
*straight razor
>>
>>969696
>And why would it be bad for chef knives?

Because its really not controlled well when dealing with very fine edges, and because a convex edge is not really wanted in a chefs knife
>>
I remember cutting a ton of mdf for some electronics bins. The biggest worry was cancer from literally creating a forest of Mdf powder in my work area, so I went nuts with safety equipment.

Um, Op, how exactly do you use your grinder?
>>
>>969718
It doesn't make MDF dust after you first cut them out, anon.
>>
File: 131003957083.jpg (51 KB, 768x768) Image search: [Google]
131003957083.jpg
51 KB, 768x768
>>969188
>/diy/ is full of people who don't use or understand the importance of sharp tools.

Don't you have a 'life hack' thread to post in faggot?
>>
>>969578
Nope, utter crap.

A steel makes microscopic serrations, which is why it can "even out" or "align" the edge of stuff that never had an edge in the first place. It's simple enough to confirm this with a cheap pallette knife, a steel, and a microscope.

If you don't have a microscope, take a razor you don't care about, steel it, then try to push it down through a tomato. It won't go anymore. The reason it won't go anymore is because steeling it has changed the nature of the blade: you can rest it on a tomato as long as you like, and it won't do anything; it'll only cut now when you draw it across the surface and let its new serrations do the work.

The serrations are what makes steeled edges cut when you move them across material, and the single continuous wedge is what makes stoned edges cut when you push them through.

Sharpening a kitchen knife on a stone is really, really stupid: you don't want the knife cutting whatever it touches, you want it cutting things you intentionally pull it through. In skilled hands, a stoned knife cuts no better than a steeled knife; used improperly, a stoned knife is far more of a danger to its user.

There's ancillary stuff like steeled edges lasting ten times as long, and being and quick and easy to reapply in the field, but the main reason we use them in the kitchen is because it makes the knife a controllable tool.

You're never going to be cutting oak or pine. There's a place for painstakingly-ground razor-edges, and that's chisels. In the kitchen, you need an edge that won't cut you just because you happen to touch it. Spend the time and learn proper knife skills. Stop depending on crutches that will cut your finger to the bone the first time you make a mistake.
>>
>>969573
There are no chefs on /ck/; try Chef's Arse.
>>
File: EDP445.webm (368 KB, 720x404) Image search: [Google]
EDP445.webm
368 KB, 720x404
>>969887
A steel does NOT cut edges, it straightens and smooths out your pre existing edges that have folded and micro chipped. It literally is making your bad edge smoother and more uniform, not "making it serrated" you retard.

And again, since it takes off so little material and is meant to smooth the old edge, it doesnt actually sharpen the blade. Its for maintenance of an edge that was ground by something else like a stone.

It will NEVER put an edge on something that "never had an edge in the first place". You could sit there for 3 hours trying, and you wouldnt be able to properly grind off shoulders for a new edge.
Youll just have sore arms and a painfully dull knife.

You are the only person I have ever heard try and pretend that dull knives are better in the kitchen than a proper sharp knife. There is this disconnect where you think that sharpening your knife on a stone is mirror polishing your blade. Its not, its literally just putting a fine enough edge that it will last with a periodical hit on the steel until the edge dies.
Its the most basic of concepts for any blade.

You would understand them if you actually worked in a kitchen and had to maintain your own blades. Do you understand how retarded it is to say you want a duller blade that will have a shorter edge lifespan because you are afraid of cutting yourself? You act like you are going to slice your finger clean off.

Its clear you know nothing about sharpening blades or culinary arts in general. Im not even convinced you have even held a real chefs knife.

Im actually kind of dumbfounded at how bad and incorrect your whole post is.
>>
>>969887
I'd tell you to kill yourself, but it looks like your knives are too dull to do the job.
>>
>>969887
>A steel makes microscopic serrations, which is why it can "even out" or "align" the edge of stuff that never had an edge in the first place.
Bullshit. A steel (the abrasive ceramic or diamond ones aside) will not create an edge on a dull knife. If a knife is dull, you abrade it away until a new edge apex is formed.

>The serrations are what makes steeled edges cut when you move them across material
Bullshit. A steel does not create serrations on an edge.

>single continuous wedge is what makes stoned edges cut when you push them through.
I am assuming by 'stoned' you mean sharpened in the conventional sense. A sharpened blade will cut much more efficiently when drawn across the surface being cut in any scenario.

>Sharpening a kitchen knife on a stone is really, really stupid:
Bullshit.

>you don't want the knife cutting whatever it touches
Bullshit. You can touch the sharpest chef knife in the world on the pads of your fingers and it will not cut you. Shit, you can even touch the edge of a DE razor blade. It will not cut you. The moment you draw it it will cut you.

>In skilled hands, a stoned knife cuts no better than a steeled knife
Bullshit. Any skilled chef advocates sharp knives in the kitchen for practical and safety considerations.

>There's a place for painstakingly-ground razor-edges, and that's chisels.
Bullshit. A sushi chef would not consider using a blade as obtuse as a woodworking chisel. Their knives are ground to a more acute angle than chisels. Because they are cutting fish and rice, not pounding their knives through wood fibers with a mallet, they don't need the durability of a chisel's comparatively fat edge.

>that will cut your finger to the bone the first time you make a mistake.
Bullshit. If you knew shit about anything, you'd know that cutting board accidents are usually the result of someone trying to make up for a sharp edge by applying more force.

I've never seen a post with so much bullshit on /diy/. Congrats.
>>
>>969887
Fantastically done. Amazing trolling. Even I was baited while reading it, beads of sweat forming on my brow and anger flowing through my veins.

Bravo good sir.
>>
Knife sharpening threads on any forum always bring out the idiots.

The sharper a knife the better. Some people want to use jigs and wheels and shit, some stones and strops, whatever, as long as it's fucking sharp.
>>
>>970100
*for the intended purpose

at least no one uttered "accusharp" or spewed adage....yet
>>
>>969143
actually related to OP....

what would be a good way of making a leather wheel? ie. gluing an old belt to a wood wheel
>>
File: eccentricvaingloriousbastards.png (5 KB, 670x429) Image search: [Google]
eccentricvaingloriousbastards.png
5 KB, 670x429
>>970258
I would try something like this, cutting the leather so it overlaps in the direction of spin. Not sure it would be smooth enough for knife blades anyway, but it's what I would try.
>>
>>970270
if I can get a bench grinder, I'd like to give it a shot

this guy made a large plywood one...would have been better if he had actually smoothed it out, but still not bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I3iuYnFRAE
>>
File: 1459373885897.png (5 KB, 670x429) Image search: [Google]
1459373885897.png
5 KB, 670x429
>>970270
>>970275
newest dankest /diy/ meme1!!
>>
>>970280
rofl
>>
>>970103
just as an example:

I used a cheapo small stone on a kitchen knife that was then sharp enough to cut smoothly through pineapple....if I had gone crazy trying to get it as sharp as humanly possible, it never would have been practically useful
>>
>>969205
>It takes a lot of time to sharpen by hand.
not really depending on how good of an edge you'd like and what kind of steel.

>Not all knives are worth the effort.
true.

if it's stainless or any softer steel I'd say use various grades of sandpaper up to say 1500 grit. If you properly grade up it will be fast. end off my pulling edge across some frosted glass for a final edge

with carbon steel you can go very sharp if you are willing to go with various grades of stones up to very fine stuff. If you use those very fine stones in the end there's no need to strop. Stropping basically bends off the burr from sharpening. So if you strop you will never have as fine an edge as if you just kept going to super fine grades of stone and finally wore off the burr naturally by sharpening itself. But this only applies to very fine carbon steel.

You can see this in japanese planes. They have a very very hard edge with a sort of recessed area behind the blade to aid in sharpening by having less area to grid essentially. But the real trick is using those really fine stones for the final sharpening. But the end result is a very fine edge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFLt0duNrgc
>>
>>970280
>>970280
saved
>>
>>970382
I'm talking dull kitchen knives that bang around in a drawer or a dishwasher.

With my belt grinder I can set a bevel on a knife in seconds, refine that edge on a fine India, then put on a very small microbevel to get rid of any burr with the same stone.
All done in a minute, maybe two.

Anything more would be a waste of my time, because theae knives get abused

For good knives or tools that need it like chisels and planes I have no problem putting in the time on the waterstones and strops because I know its worth it.
>>
>>969722
Yes, but you are grinding your blade with them. You are generating nanoparticulates that are also Mdf.
>>
>>970270
You would want the beveled flaps going the other way, but that's the right idea.

I would attach the leather to the mdf with contact cement. I have made paddle strops before and I've found that contact cement forms the strongest, most permanent bond between leather and wood. Though I don't really see why the leather is necessary. The MDF is a good substrate for holding the compound.

>>970462
I really don't think it's creating any dust at all. I saw further proof of this recently. Yesterday I decided that one of my wheels wasn't running true enough so I took a lathe scraper to it. All it did was grind the nose of the scraper off without creating any visible residue. So I cleaned the waxy layer off with sandpaper then took the scraper to it again and it generated a terrible cloud of MDF dust in my garage. It's probably sloughing off tiny amounts of CrO polish when it's in use though. That can't be helped.
>>
>>970467
You know, you're right, there are other dynamics at work. I have new ideas now!
>>
>>969338
>"what is the fucking point" sharp.

Well, hopefully, the whole blade is.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.