[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the most common woodworking joints?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (24 KB, 383x288) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24 KB, 383x288
What are the most common woodworking joints?
>>
Pocket screws.
>>
>>968999
Elbows and wrists.
>>
>>968999
Dovetail
Mortise and tenon
>>
File: 20151210212037[1].jpg (24 KB, 500x392) Image search: [Google]
20151210212037[1].jpg
24 KB, 500x392
>>969001
>Pocket screws.
>>
>>968999
Glued, screwed and tattooed
>>
File: 6108-dubs-guy-taking-a-picture.jpg (23 KB, 252x249) Image search: [Google]
6108-dubs-guy-taking-a-picture.jpg
23 KB, 252x249
>>968999
The humble mortise and tenon
>>
>>968999
Half lap, and (huh huh) butt joint!

And nice trips.
>>
File: image.jpg (18 KB, 554x369) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
18 KB, 554x369
>>969001
lol

no

>>969119
butt joint

[snickers internally]
>>
File: Japanese+joinery[1].png (670 KB, 1055x523) Image search: [Google]
Japanese+joinery[1].png
670 KB, 1055x523
In superior Nippon joinery the wood is folded over a million times to give it unrivaled strength
>>
>>969156

I have a feeling you carpenters go through all this shit just so you can charge more.
>>
>>969129
According to professional autist Mattias, a properly glued butt joint (snickering intensifies) is as strong as pocket screws (actual laughing commences).
>>
File: finished%20box%20joint[1].jpg (61 KB, 600x387) Image search: [Google]
finished%20box%20joint[1].jpg
61 KB, 600x387
>>968999
Box joints.
Because dovetails are too tedious.
>>
>>969179
how on earth did they ever make things out of wood before overpriced jigs and overpriced specialty screws were invented....
>>
>>969189
Aliens

Probably
>>
>>969189
with more time and professionalism
>>
>>969179

I see the logic eludes you. By using a pocket screw you in effect remove glue surface area for the sake of a weak screw joint.

More often than not the wood fails before a glue joint does. Exact same reason applied to a pocket hole joint. The screw also acts as leverage against the wood.

A biscuit joint would be stronger than a pocket hole joint or a domino floating tenon stronger still.
>>
>>969215

>wood fails before the glued joint.

In what fucking world?

Dovetails sure because the wood is cut to interlock but butt joints and mortise and Tennon joints pull apart all the fucking time when you use glue only.
>>
if my experience in construction has taught me anything, it's that the most common type of joint is usually a poorly rolled spiff of pot.
>>
>>969230
What the hell glue are you using? I was going to make a snarky comment, but i just can't. I mean, Elmer's school glue children use for construction paper shit works fine on wood....
>>
>>969189
chisels and patience and hot hide glue
>>
>>969230

What are you using? Pritt stick? Hair spray?

Not even sure if this is just bait.
>>
>>969230
Upon planet Earth, year 2016, consensus reality, modern wood working glues are much stronger then the woods they hold together.
>>
>>969215
Didn't elude me at all. I said according to Mattias, and that's all. The only reason I posted was to say "butt joint" and "pocket screw" one more time, and to allude to the other thread asking if Mattias is an autist. I actually share your viewpoint 100%, but I'm a dad and therefore can't resist horrible puns and middle school humor.
>>
>>969156
In nippon, wood folded a million times can cut cleanly trough rock and steel.
>>
>>969230
You're meant to let the set before putting force on the joint.
>>
>>969230
Modern joinery is basically defined by the fact that modern wood glues are stronger than the lignin that adheres wood fibers to wood fibers. The challenge is in choosing appropriate joints that will allow proper adhesion, and will not warp or break as wood expands and contracts.

Now, butt joints failing, that makes sense. Anywhere the end of the grain is exposed, the fibers will wick glue into themselves before it dries, preventing a full join. That's why box/finger or dovetail joints are preferred woodworking joints there. If it's the end of a piece, with no real joinery, just touching another, you need fasteners of some sort. Nails or screws. If you're only using glue, you have to make sure there's a place where the sides of wood fibers are glued to the sides of other wood fibers, or you face the wicking problem.

For mortise and tenon joints, it's possible the ones you've seen were insufficiently clamped, or very dirty, or had a very bad open grain slash were the wrong slope for the type of wood.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.