[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What would I need to do to connect a slab of wood to my window
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
File: IMG_20160327_174350.jpg (3 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160327_174350.jpg
3 MB, 5312x2988
What would I need to do to connect a slab of wood to my window like pic related?

I've been wanting to add a second section to my desk area for my laptop workstation, and figured this would be a good way to do it without losing the floor space underneath.
>>
>>968716
So without ANY kind of support under it? You will have to hang it from the wall or from the ceiling. Particle board will sag like a motherfucker under its own weight without support, let along with whatever will be on your desk. Even plywood or real wood will do the same with time and weight.
>>
I wouldn't exactly call particle board a slab of wood, but....

you're pretty much going to have to have some kind of support to keep it up....keep it mind it doesn't have to be much, and it doesn't mean you'd have to put posts down to the floor

there are plenty of designs for simple brackets with 2x4s, or you could just use metal shelf ones
>>
>>968716
Add square metal brackets to each side using screws and glue to prevent to board from sagging. Screw the board down.

Should be fine.
>>
File: image.jpg (756 KB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
756 KB, 2592x1936
Do this. Find studs. Floating desk thing. Some under flood lights.
>>
>>968716
What you need, anon, is called a shelf bracket. Easy way to make them solid : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5eztrgtRrI
>>
>>969996
Woops wrong video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhnVvcLsp-8
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.