[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MATLAB - The Language of Technical Computing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
Any one with experiences with MatLab?

Because mathworks.com is a desert and a looks like the admin are a bunch of sissies, somebody has or at least tried the kkt (karush-kuhn-trucker) algorithm for optimize in matlab? Would be very thankful with your answers.

Plus, is better and flawless the language of Python in contrast with Matlab? Which of boths is usefull now day?
>>
>>968707
I think Matlab is dogshit, but that's not because of a lack of power or features, just because it looks god awful and the syntax is fucking assbackwards and has no consistency.

But it's incredibly powerful, and well supported. And seems to be fairly fast.

I dont think you can compare something like Matlab to Python, they're completely different. I much prefer Python as a language for its syntax, but Matlab just has the tools you need without having to go out and find a Python library for it.
>>
File: Thinking_face.jpg (28 KB, 500x414) Image search: [Google]
Thinking_face.jpg
28 KB, 500x414
>>968707

There is an academic text named "Semismooth Karush-Kuhn-Tucker Equations and Convergence Analysis of Newton and Quasi-Newton Methods for Solving these Equations ", Google it, If Matlab were less shit in comparison with new currently programming languages maybe a bookstore for this algorithm can be easily found on internet, try it.
>>
My uni course has added Matlab as standard for the first time this year, it's pretty neat but I'm yet to see the full use of it really only being a first year. Interested to see how we use it in the next 5 years though and it's definitely preferable to the stuff I used in high school!
>>
>>969225
what's the course? i done acoustics and we Matlabbed errday
>>
>>969227
Mechanical Engineering. I love the practical stuff, hate the theory, thinking about leaving uni (its free anyway) and taking up a trade instead so I can work with my hands though
>>
>>968707
>>Plus, is better and flawless the language of Python in contrast with Matlab? Which of boths is usefull now day?
Matlab as a language is absolutely terrible. The only thing making it worthwhile is the great function library. Although scipy is quickly getting numeric libraries of similar quality. Matplotlib is already better than Matlab's plotting functions for instance.
For any non-toy project started you'll likely be happy to have chosen Python over matlab at some point in time.
>>
I use Maxima for almost any computation-based project I have to do. MATLAB, however, has a lot of realtime/signal processing stuff that is really nice.
Try learning to use wxMaxima or Maxima, I'm sure it can do the kkt algorithm
>>
>>968707
I was forced to use Matlab a lot in Uni, a lot of my profs had a hardon for it. I heard you can use it for object-oreinted programming, but after taking several courses that used it and tutoring others in its use, my take is that Matlab is just not a programming language. It's a calculator. If you want a powerful calculator, matlab is great, despite the clunky interface. But if you're looking for a programming language, Matlab just doesn't fit in that category.
>>
>>969266
>Matlab as a language is absolutely terrible.

this 1000x over.

If Matlab were just a python library it would be fantastic, but as a language its worse than HTML

>>969320
>not a programming language. It's a calculator.

This. If you go into Matlab treating it like a real programming language you'll end up pulling out your hair. Once you begin thinking about it like the dumb interface it is, you'll have a much better time.
>>
>>968707
Just use python not trying to sound like a zealot but Matlab really isn't the the best choice, it isn't the language for technical computing, of you want to prototype something then python is probably best and I'd this is going to be for a big project of some sort then maybe you should give a c variant a try or maybe if you're brave Fortran. I've had experience with Matlab, Fortran and python and for getting things done and knowing what it is you have done then python is the way
>>
New Matlab now has a notebook environment. So now I just don't get it.

>IPython
>IJulia
>IR
>Mathematica
>Matlab

Fuck, I just use Emacs, org's babel functions, and slowly creating my own darn org mode. Do this, everyone:

>~/
>~/Notes
>~/Notes/My-Goddamn-Note. mygoddamnorgspinoff
>~/Notes/My-Goddamn-Note/<insert-data-files-here, even pictures for in lining on mouse over, or server daemons to run on Windows or Linux startup>

And this is easy on Windows and Linux. Maybe I'll write a guide....
>>
>>969258
>"whats the course?"
> Mechanical Engineering.
> As a course

You from DeVry or something?
>>
>>969721
some people/countries/universities refer to a single class as a "course", and others refer to an entire major as a "course" you dumbass.
>>
I'm looking for a matlab book too, I've not much experience with programming but I know the basics
>>
>>969721
>>969727
Actually we don't do Majors in Scotland. Like I do 120 credits of Mechanical Engineering split into 8 modules but I have no say in what modules I do - they're fixed by the University in conjunction with the National Institute of Mechanical Engineers.
So the module is called Mathematical and Numerical Analysis for Mechanical Engineering or something like that but my course is still just Mech Eng.
>>
File: 1395005021456.jpg (89 KB, 600x510) Image search: [Google]
1395005021456.jpg
89 KB, 600x510
>>969320
This.

>mechanical engineering program at uni uses Matlab
>given project to write software for some systems, such as a cam profile designer
>used to Python, try to write a higher-order function to take cam specifications and return a function of the cam profile
>can't do that, did some kludgy bullshit instead

It's Turing-Complete to my knowledge, which makes it a programming language in a strict sense, but it sure as hell isn't capable of a lot of software techniques.

>mfw trying to make something approximating a Python dictionary for a freshman project
>>
>>968707
What IS Matlab?

I sometimes see it mentioned when I look for textbooks and on here

Is it some AutoCAD or design software? Or some scientific cculatoe and modeling software?

And who uses it? I see engineers mentioned but I've met several electrical engineers and they don't talk about Matlab at all.
>>
>>969846
Dude, you could have at least googled it, or at the very least read through the thread. Fuck man, you really don't run into this many retarded people, even on 4chan. I feel sorry for your parents.
>>
>>969846
it's for crunching massive amounts of data and numbers. manipulating data, running scripted simulations, crating plots and graphs, etc.

I deal with audio and acoustics, so a lot of my matlab use deals with manipulating audio files or running matrix analysis on mesh geometries and such. it's a bigass calculator that allows you to import variables (files) and then fuckaround with them
>>
>>969320
>Matlab is just not a programming language. It's a calculator. If you want a powerful calculator, matlab is great
Thats what we used it for in uni for ultrasound and MRI labs. We got some pretty high end images of metal and glass when using it for ultrasound calculations.
>>
>>968707
I use Matlab all the time, but not for any large projects. It's great if you just have a small problem you are working on and have no need for OOP or other sophistication. For me, Matlab is a decent scripting language with lots of nice math functions available.
>>
>>968707
In college I was a pro. Never even heard of that algorithm though.
Haven't used it since I graduated 6 years ago.

>>969665
>Implying you get a choice.

Nigger we had to use Matlab, Mathematica and some shitty proprietary program one of our professors created or invested in or something called "Mathlab".
>>
Matlab is OK but I find myself mostly in Jupyter these days.
>>
>>969947
Yeah I had to use Matlab and Fortran but chose to learn python in my own time because it made sense to at the time
>>
File: pallet.jpg (116 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
pallet.jpg
116 KB, 500x400
Which is the best way to learn and use python for engineering in Windows?
I mean, which program/method is the best?
>>
>>970162
iPython is probably best, have a look at anaconda from continuum if you university/college is on their list them you can get some of their paid stuff free which is nice, they have a pretty good mkl implementation which is nice
>>
>>970175
numpy for math
>>
>>969258
if it's free, at least get a fun degree that is easy and interests you. i was in your same position (getting a free education, doing engineering but not really into it) and every day i regret squandering it. i wish i had just gotten an easy free degree.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.