[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guys, I have a bit of tech project I am having trouble. I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 20160318.jpg (14 KB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
20160318.jpg
14 KB, 360x360
Hey guys, I have a bit of tech project I am having trouble. I am trying to make Windows multi-boot configuration but it seems to fail. I want fast boot so I have to use UEFI, but Vista seems unable to work with UEFI. I checked online, Vista64 can use UEFI. Trouble is, I manage to boot Vista in UEFI mode but freezes at "Windows is loading files". Google only tells me it's the HDD, but I verified it works. I suspect it might a Graphics driver issue since the image fragments and I can see the loading bar at the top of the screen but " Windows is loading files" persists. My plan was this:
(Not sure yet) Windows XP Pro or Win2K - 40GB
Windows Vista - 40GB
Windows 7 - 60GB
Windows 8 - 100GB
Windows Server 2012 - 100GB
Windows 10 Enterprise - 700GB

>pic unrelated
>inb4 go back to /g/ fag/g/ot
>/g/ doesnt allow these threads
>>
>>968568
Go back to /g/. If you weren't retarded you'd know they have sqt for this kind of questions.
btw what's the point of having all these OSes? Why not boot one and set up multiple VMs.
>>
>>968574
Super slow, reason I am so interested in Vista is becuase it's the best /comfy/ and aesthetically pleasing OS hands down. In a VM, Aero graphics don't work.
>>
if i remember, getting the older OS'es to ply with the newer ones is a challenge, so i gave up and installed 2 diff HDDs, one for XP and Vista, and a second for Win 7 and 8.
in the BIOS, i can select which SATA HDDs are on or off, so if i wanna switch from the old to the new sets, i just reboot, and disable/enable the appropriate drive. some BIOSes let you change the boot order, so you dont have to disable anything, but mine only boots from lowest available SATA.
>>
>>968577
Yes they do, just get a machine with VT-D, and a recent VMWare.
>>
>>968577
what have you got so far? youd probably need to start with XP.

Id dual boot 7 and 10, XP can add to 7 as XP Mode, you dont need 8 and you definitely dont need 2012 - change Vista for 7 if must, but then, no XP mode. The problem with attempting this, theres always quirks - think even 7 and anything, everytime 7 is booted, all restore points from other OS on disk get wiped, no workaround. et-fucking-cetera. 8 + 2012, wouldn't even try, but, maybe works. Then w10 auto installer gonna fuck up everythting anyway.

Your totals add up to 1040 GB BTW - 1TB = 930GB.
>>
>>968577
Are you on fucking crack?
I just got off of vista and switched back to arch WITH NO REAL VIDEO DRIVERS ON ARCH and its still better than vista. I cant even watch youtube in fullscreen with fucking nouveau inplace or nvidia, and I still wont switch back to vista.

This is a troll thread, fuck you.
>>
>>968654
You're probably running on some really old hardware or using an old/bloated Vista. I'll admit Vista SP1 and below is horrible but starting with SP2, Vista runs super smooth and runs decently on weak but modern hard ware. Vista ran nice on a Quad Core CherryTrail Atom, significantly faster than my old Core 2 Solo Netbook.
>>
>>968587
I do, I tried testing it on a ASUS Notebook, Core i5 3317U and 4GB of RAM. I'm not sure if it uses VTx or VTd tho.
>>968598
Hmmm didn't think of that. I was planning on installing everything separately. What two OS can run alongside together? I can just add another 2TB HDD to split the load.
>>
>>968685
intel something, dual core, 2.83 ghz.
4 gb ram
nvidia somethingoranother capable of playing portal and hl2 decently
its old as fuck but arch and windows 7 run perfectly on it. vista lags like shit.
win 7 on this pc is capable of running as the main os, and having literally 4 other win 7 virtual machines on at the same time.
Id casually have 200 tabs in firefox and atleast one virtual machine running at the same time.
windows vista can hardly even boot up its so fucking slow.
>>
>>968701

another option is external drives, either USB or eSata, so you can just plug in the OS you want. I have this kind of arrangement on a thin client used as a TV box in the living room. I can use Win7 for work, email, and the web, or plug in a Kodi HDD for music, video, photos or Youtube, or a Linux-based MAME HDD for games. seems to me you need Win7 or better to use USB drives. XP is definitely a no-go; not sure about Vista.
>>
>>968935
I think you quoted me by mistake, I was just telling op vista is shit
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.