[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ethernet
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 9
File: adapter-88408_640.jpg (52 KB, 640x378) Image search: [Google]
adapter-88408_640.jpg
52 KB, 640x378
My house was recently built/reformed. It received lots of Ethernet cables (inside the walls), but only one is working! I suspect the man hired to make this cable management did not finished its work. How can I discover what is the problem, and solve (end the work)?

I tested by plugging one side on a router (I tried 2 routers), and the other on my netbook, and then proceeded to pinging Google.
>>
Check the attic for a bundle of cables that sends the signal to each room. They should be plugged into a splitter of some sort. The guy most likely didn't leave a splitter or installed one or he didn't plug them all into it. I'll post a picture in a bit
>>
File: 20160327_105441.jpg (4 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
20160327_105441.jpg
4 MB, 4032x3024
Bundle of cables in attic
>>
File: 20160327_105401.jpg (3 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
20160327_105401.jpg
3 MB, 4032x3024
The digital cable splitter that splits the signal to each room
>>
>>968523
>>968524
Thats coax cable bright eyes. Is this a coax issue or an ethernet issue?
>>
If you have ethernet cables they probably all go to a smart panel in the master bedroom closet or another closet. If not there, then the 'telephone' box on the side of the house.
>>
File: image.jpg (23 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23 KB, 320x240
>>968537
>>968513
They'll all be routed back to a "patch panel" somewhere in your house. Each outlet somewhere in the house connects to one port on the patch panel.

CAT5 is not "for" anything*; if you want them to be for ethernet, you need to go buy an ethernet switch and a bunch of patch cables, and patch the switch onto each outlet you want ethernet on.

You can also shove your router inside the patch cabinet and use its switch, and run your internet wire down a CAT5 into the patch panel. If you were going to do that, you'd probably want to turn off the router's wireless, and install your own APs in more useful places.

*other people might, for example, run HDMI over it to get cable in several rooms.
>>
File: triggered.jpg (16 KB, 320x371) Image search: [Google]
triggered.jpg
16 KB, 320x371
>>968539
>nice structured media panel
>that cable management
>>
>>968540
I could have posted a prettier one, but that's the kind of thing OP will have in his house.
>>
>>968520
>>968523
>>968524
There is no attic on my house.
And my cables are not these. Are CAT-6. So, there is no splitter.
>>
>>968628
Pictures tard, we need pictures.
>>
>why dem damn Niggas broke in while ahsaway an installed Cat6 innawalls again.
>goddamn, CatSheeit dont even work, Cat Sheeit innawalls EverydamnWhere why oh lord, why, i dunno.

hate it when this happens.
>>
File: RJ45 Lan Tester.jpg (29 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
RJ45 Lan Tester.jpg
29 KB, 400x400
>>968513
Some of the cables in my house weren't working and it turned out whoever crimped half of them was using the type b layout while the others were type a. Clearly, that doesn't work. If that seems to be the case with yours, get pic related and save yourself a headache.
>>
>>968644
When was this 1998? It's been standard on every card I've had since 2001 to auto detect a-b flopped cables and flip their ports around again.

You're a piece of shit trying to upsell a residential customer on a tool he has no justification in buying.
>>
>>968761
Not the poster, but to be fair those testers can be had for less than $10.
>>
>>968539
I do not have patch panel.
I do not have patch cabinet.

>>968537
I do not have smart panel.
I do not have closets.
I do not have telephone boxes.
>>
>>968636
Pictures of what?
There are not such things to take photos!
>>
>>968642
kek
>>
File: 1239298084054[1].png (92 KB, 340x600) Image search: [Google]
1239298084054[1].png
92 KB, 340x600
>>968782
>>968784
Okay, I understand you are pants on head retarded so I will use simple statements and break them up for you for easy processing.

Your ethernet cables have to go somewhere.
They must connect with a switch, modem, router, etc, for them to function.
One of your cables is working, yes?
What is on the other end of the cable? POST A FUCKING PICTURE OF IT.
Your other cables do not work, yes?
What is on the other end of those cables? POST A FUCKING PICTURE OF IT TOO.
Do you not know where your cables go to? THEN FIND THE FUCK OUT.
>>
>>968513
>>968520
>>968523
>>968524
>>968527
>>968537
>>968539
>>968540
>>968542
>>968628
>>968636
>>968642
>>968644
>>968761
>>968767
>>968782
>>968784
>>968786
>>968800

The pictures of the cable s/he has shown is of RG-6 broadband cable and not Ethernet. He has not shown one picture of Ethernet.
>>
I have a feeling op is plugging router into a tv aerial connection which are all interconnected with a coaxial splitter.

While the only working cable is connected to the phone/cable/broadband providers street cabinet.
>>
To expand on what this nigga, >>968800, is saying

I just bought a house, and it had a "smart panel" bullshit in it that looked like a switch, but when I tried to set up my home network, it didn't work. Ended up being like a 8 port RJ45 phone hub or some shit.
I knew this but didn't mount my switch in there yet, the dumbass ATT tech came in, found a CAT5e going from this panel to the NIB outside, and then found the nearest room with a RJ45 jack and toned it out and then spliced these 2 wires in my panel and set the router at this jack.
>Got him before he left and told him that won't work. He fixed his shit and set the router in the closet that the panel was in.
>>
>>968842
So is you phone and lan mixed together?

If so, separate the two networks and only have internet running on the rats nest while you only need one land line.

Coaxial or phone line comes into the building and joins a modem. From the modem you get tv, phone and internet. Your setup may not be the same but they are all variations of this setup.

You have a phone connected to the modem, a router connected to the modem and a tv connected to the modem. Tv might also use coaxial and that could be the mess in the attic. Which I think is connected to an antenna on the roof.

The router then connects all the ethernet cables in the house using switches or hubs.

RF Splitters connect all the TVs

The phone will usually only have a single cable in a domestic setup
>>
>>968644
How about Auto MDI-X?
Don't your equipment have it?

>>968767
Wrong, these testers cost at least US$80...
>>
>>968848
Found a tester on ebay for less than three quid with free shipping. Most hardware places do them for a tenner
>>
>>968513
You should just call your ISP and have them send someone out.

Contractors often do a fairly poor job of running and putting connectors on RG-6 cable. Coax cable is pretty sensitive in regards to modern use.
>>
>>968800
>They must connect with a switch, modem, router, etc, for them to function.
Yeah. I tried connecting all of them to my router, and tested. Only 1 worked.

>What is on the other end of the cable? POST A FUCKING PICTURE OF IT.
A router. Why do you need a picture?

>What is on the other end of those cables? POST A FUCKING PICTURE OF IT TOO.
They are disconnected. I disconnected after testing them on my router, and seeing they didn't work.

>Do you not know where your cables go to? THEN FIND THE FUCK OUT.
... I can't know if they do not have network connection!
>>
>>968817
These cables posted here are not my cables!
>>
>>968837
I, OP, don't have coaxial cables for internet.
My cables are CAT-6 (twisted pair).
>>
>>968842
Why don't you create your own thread and stop confusing this here?
>>
>>968850
>less than three quid
I don't know how much is this. I'm not in UK.
>>
>>968852
>RG-6 cable
MY CABLES ARE CAT-6
NOT COAXIAL
TWISTED PAIR
>>
>>970402
Then why the fuck did you take a bunch of pictures of coax cable as your only OC?
>>968523
>>968524
>>
>>970410
This is a fucker that invaded the thread to mess with the conversation.
>>
>>970411
And yet you STILL HAVEN"T POSTED ANY FUCKING PICTURES. So you can fuck right the hell off. Your clearly fucking retarded and can't follow simple instructions so we aren't going to help you any more.

Hide the thread gents, its over.
>>
>>970417
There is no need to post pictured. Don't you know what are routers and CAT-6 cables?
>>
>>970411
>>970411
Posted
>>968852
>>968513
I dunno. I think he's op. He's just retarded.

Maybe he paid someone to install shit and he said it was cat6 but he actually installed rg-6, because who the fuck wants cat6?
>>
>>970424
It's CAT-6 because that's what everyone uses.
Why shouldn't I want it?
>>
>>970425
I have never seen cat6 installed anywhere. data centers use fiber, residential/small businesses use cat5e and push it out of spec.

You have not posted one pic of cat6 wire. You even took a pictures of a coax splitter >>968524
Do you think this is a router or a hub or something? It's a physical-layer coax splitter.

The only way you can network over that is to use a MOCA network, which is fine, but the adapters are kinda expensive.
>>
File: CdmhDaeUEAA2-oX[1].jpg (47 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
CdmhDaeUEAA2-oX[1].jpg
47 KB, 600x600
MODS!!!!

fucking retard central in 'ere.. OP, you cunt, we need pictures as you either:
(a) 100% Troll
(b) 100% genuine, but (unfortunately) 95% retarded, as in, you need watered by a competent authority every other day, and English is your third cousins 5th language or some shit.

Now either explain WHO put these cables in and why, and post fucking Pics (becos..),
or, into the /trash/ you go.

but on the 5% chance of genuineitiveness, >>968842 was prob on the right track with RJ45 - this re.. eh, OP, been rewuired by a Telco for some reason, they're Phone Jacks wired in series, hes plugging in an ADSL router that would only work on the main socket, etc.

Dont explain the Cat6 bit much, (and how would you know if its innawalls anyway - eh?), but STFU about Coax an shoite already, that obv. aint helping any here either.
>>
>>970436
Oh hey, I guess you're right, op hasn't posted even one pic. I still don't believe he's not potato retarded though.
>>
>>968761
A and B crimp is not the same thing not the same thing as straight vs crossover.

Those testers are simple continuity testers. They cost a few bux.
>>
File: Ethernet_MDI_crossover.svg.png (34 KB, 623x283) Image search: [Google]
Ethernet_MDI_crossover.svg.png
34 KB, 623x283
>>970456
They absolutely are the same as straight vs crossover. A and A is straight. B and B is straight. A to B is crossover.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TIA/EIA-568#T568A_and_T568B_termination
"The difference between the two pinouts is that the orange and green wire pairs are exchanged."
Note that the only difference between T568A and T568B is that pairs 2 and 3 (orange and green) are swapped. Both configurations wire the pins "straight through" ...
The primary thing one has to be careful of, is not to accidentally wire the ends of the same cable according to different configurations (unless one intends to create an ethernet crossover cable)
Auto MDI-X (auto crossover)_Introduced in 1998_

The dude's problem was NOT that it was A/B mixed. His problem was someone fucked up his jacks. He just tossed that A/B shit out there to sound like he didn't fuck it up the first time.
>>
I've been to a few houses after the builder sold the client on a 'smart cabling system' and then terminated the ends without having a clue. In both cases (different builders/subcontractors) I ended up rigging a 'cheat patch panel' using multiple double outlet wall sockets and re-terminating EVERY SINGLE CABLE!

I explained to both home owners and 1 is pursuing legal action. Both homes were 5E but were so badly terminated would not have passed or even worked.
>>
OP is too stupid to realize that people want pictures because OP is always too stupid to properly describe his situation. "a router and cat-6" is not enough information, you fuckstick.

And OP is also apparently too stupid to follow his cables from one end of the jack to the other.

protip you don't need to literally tear down the drywall to figure it out either, just plug two ends in to a computer and look for flashing lights. Enjoy your worst case n*n combinations and incompetent contractor (especially if it was you) that can't even map out which cables go where.
>>
Go see if you have a plug and play switch somewhere in your attic if it is not a plug and play you may have to open ports on it.
>>
>>970427
These pictures are not mine.
See:
>>970411
>>
>>970436
>Now either explain WHO put these cables in and why
A man who works in putting cables in the walls.
Because I ordered him.

>(and how would you know if its innawalls anyway - eh?)
I saw them being put in there, and there are the ends on the holes in the wall.

I have not said anything about coaxial cables, this is another person. See: >>970411
>>
>>970501
>"a router and cat-6" is not enough information, you fuckstick.
Why not?
>>
>>970501
>And OP is also apparently too stupid to follow his cables from one end of the jack to the other.
THEY'RE ON THE WALLS
I CAN'T SEE THEM

>you don't need to literally tear down the drywall to figure it out
THERE IS NO DRYWALL

>just plug two ends in to a computer and look for flashing lights
As I said, I already tested and they simply don't work.

>Enjoy your worst case n*n combinations and incompetent contractor (especially if it was you) that can't even map out which cables go where.
It would not need to map if it wasn't away without finishing the job...

>>970594
>Go see if you have a plug and play switch somewhere in your attic if it is not a plug and play you may have to open ports on it.
No switches here.
>>
>>970809
have you considered realizing that CAT-6 is still a copper cable and that it is possible to test continuity from one end to the other without a computer

You can also see the colors of the wire terminations by TAKING A PICTURE of the RJ-45 JACK.
Fuckstick.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.