[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
PVC pipes gets brittle and breaks easily over time, I think because
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: ShatteredPipe.jpg (123 KB, 800x451) Image search: [Google]
ShatteredPipe.jpg
123 KB, 800x451
PVC pipes gets brittle and breaks easily over time, I think because UV rays break it down right? Would spraying a thick coat of paint or something prevent that from happening? I know they are pressure rated, but I don't want that shit exploding into a million jagged pieces.
>>
>>968009
They are not made for use outdoors where they will get exposed to sunlight. Unless you plan on painting your pipes every few years just use solid ABS pipe for the outdoor portion.
>>
>>968009
PVC is inherently brittle. When it explodes it turns into shrapnel, there is no way around this.
>>
>>968009
A thick paint of paint will stop UV degradation but will not stop the stuff that makes PVC soft and not shatter from diffusing away.
>>
Anyone know of a good alternative OP could use in place of pvc? I was thinking of a similar problem.
>>
Paint even helps galvanized pipe.
>>
>>968009
Spray painting will help durability. Around here the gaslines are all black HDPE and they last a life time in open weather and sunlight (white/clear HPDE dies quickly in sun, fyi).
>>
>>968039
ABS. Or metal pipe like galvanized steel or something.
>>
Instead of leaving PVC out in the open, you could bury the pipe to protect against UV rays for just about forever.

What is your application OP?
>>
File: GAME OVER MOTHERFUCKERS.gif (4 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
GAME OVER MOTHERFUCKERS.gif
4 MB, 500x281
>>968154
>tfw it's that other thread about potato guns
>>
>>968186
So we're advising OP spend $5 in paint to aid in the [marginal] longevity of his $12 potato gun?
>>
>>968192
That is what I fear, yes. We have been rused, gentlemen. It has been an honor posting with you.
>>
>>968009
Measure the OD of your PVC pipe, then you can find a piece of seamless stainless steel pipe with the same ID.

Then you can simply coat the PVC pipe with epoxy and insert it into the stainless steel pipe. This should increase it's performance.
>>
>>968009
It becomes brittle yes but unless it's subject to some sort of impact it will still perform as it should. Covering it won't suppress the effects of the UV part of the light spectrum as paint doesn't block it.
>>
>>968186
>>968192
>>968196
Nope. I already made a potato gun. Shit was pretty fun to play with. I dropped it a while ago and it broke though. It was just a small one and the barrel portion snapped. I have a different idea this time around.
>>
Work construction on industrial scale water treatment plants.

Painting - PVC should give you 10+ years in harsh climates (staying within pipe specs) when painted. Use the PVC primer - MEK - and a rag to rub the shine off the pipe, then followed by the coats of paint.

ABS - UV resistant

HDPE - Will last for fucking ever, but will look shit and walk all over the place.
>>
>>968186
Someone's attempt at longest road just got cut by another player.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.