[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can I make my door more sound proof without replacing it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: Snapchat-7720801361892672942.jpg (842 KB, 1440x2392) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-7720801361892672942.jpg
842 KB, 1440x2392
How can I make my door more sound proof without replacing it? Its made of wood

I share a hall way with some chinese and and they fucking drink and gamble in the hallway all fucking night long. They are pretty loud when they are drunk, I can easily hear it over my tv and in my bedroom.

Any ideas?

My front door
>>
go over there with a bat and teach them to not interrupt your beauty sleep ever again

fucking chinks gotta learn not to mess with Pretty Pete anymore
>>
>>967559
this

stop being a pussy OP
>>
>>967559
>>967563
I wouldn't do that. There's way more of them then me and I'm sure at least one of them has a knife or something. I would rather just make my door more soundproof then call the police or start a fight and get stabbed or shot
>>
>>967558
without committing a felony....

hang a thick blanket or two completely over the door
>>
>>967565
then build an ironman suit and blast those suckers

cmon this is DIY do something cool insulating a door is lame as fuck
>>
Drill 2 holes in the top of the door. Pour something into the hallow space. Probably don't want to add to much weight so try Styrofoam balls or something. Sand would work if you think the door wounding break apart.
>>
http://foofighters.com/soundproofing

I will guarantee you that those Chinese are from the North because they're known to be obnoxious drunks up there.
>>
An old mattress may help, hopefully won't pull ya door off the hinges
>>
>>967558
The topic of "how can I soundproof my house" is another one like "how can I build a cheap air conditioner since I can't afford to buy one", it's not a question that really has any answer.
If a building has cheap flimsy doors, then it probably has cheap flimsy walls too--and even buying a solid-wood door is going to have a very limited effect.

OP: go buy some fox urine from a hunting store and when they're not around, dump it in the hall floor in front of their door. It has a horribly strong scent of piss. You may have to take some ventilation measures to deal with the smell too, but hey, at least it'll be quiet. And ching-chong party bois will learn not to hang around anymore.
>>
File: brain damage.jpg (52 KB, 600x604) Image search: [Google]
brain damage.jpg
52 KB, 600x604
>>967900
>thinking the Chinese would be put off by the scent of urine
>>
>>967772
might need more then just the top depending how it's built
>>
>>968233
I lived in Hong Kong and can agree, whole fucking city smells of piss.
>>
>>967780

Is there a way to soundproof my ears so I never have to hear foo fighters plebrock ever again?
>>
>>967558
If you have the resources, I would remove drywall on any section of wall that overlaps with the noisy hallway (might be just around the door?) fill with sound-deadening mineral wool insulation, foam any cavities, etc. I would then get a better door with great weather stripping.

And/or bonus round, I frame a small vestibule around the entrance door, fill that with more roxul, frame in and foam an additional door a foot away from the original with all the insulation and weather stripping I need.
>>
>>968529
>make a cone out of heavy carboard
>place narrow spigot end of cone in ear canal
>carefully pour boiling pitch into the cone until the ear canal is filled*
>repeat on the other side
>let cool

*get your mother to help you!
>>
>>967558

Drill a small hole in the top and pump the whole door with that expanding spray foam insulation shit. That shit expands like crazy so don't go too wild or the whole fucking door could split or warp.
>>
I recommend ear plugs, OP.

Use the cylinder shaped ones that mold to your ears. The tapered ones will fall out of your ear canal when you move.

Also experiment with moving your bed around the room, after using a chair to try to find a 'deader' acoustic spot in your room. Then place your head/bed/board in the corresponding spot.

Run a boxfan towards the door to create some background noise and one in the bedroom too.

It will help cancel some of their voice frequencies and your earplugs will take care of the fans.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.