[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to replace my damaged copper water pipes with pex, is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
I want to replace my damaged copper water pipes with pex, is this a good idea and do I need any special tools?
>>
Usually copper is pretty solid and stands the test of time. What do you mean by damaged? Just a section or the whole pipe its self? Need more specifics. Also yes, pex does require special tools to make the fitting connections.
>>
>>967212
pex is also much more expensive than copper. and it will break down with exposure to the sunlight. it has its place. and its easier to use if you can buy fittings in bulk and need to thread a pipe through a wall. copper works well though.

if you just have some pinhole leaks just buy a new section of copper pipe and solder it in.
>>
The original installer probably used copper for a reason, you better make sure pex will hold up under the conditions
>>
File: images (27).jpg (5 KB, 240x192) Image search: [Google]
images (27).jpg
5 KB, 240x192
>>967267
>original installer
son, do you know how long they've been using copper pipe?
>copper is so durable, it's the only plumbing product that comes with a 50-year manufacturers' limited warranty
>>
>>967291
Everyone uses pex nowadays, but sometimes there are runs that require copper or you are going to run into problems.
Shower rise is a big one.
>>
>>967309
>Everyone uses pex nowadays,

Pex is easier to route through framing. You can bend it around corners (within reason) without having to sweat a joint like with copper. So pros like it because it's faster (less labor). Copper has it's advantages particularly if your time is cheap/free.
>>
>>967212
depends on how much there is to replace.
a pipe cutter, length of copper pipe and some nut and olive joint fittings are cheap and you can do it in about 10 minutes.
>>
>>967266
Bare in mind I'm not 100% sure but I'm going to presume pex is push fit pvc plastic.

It is cheaper than copper. Copper metal has a good scrap value so pipe would be a future.

As for OP I've no idea why you'd want to replace your copper plumbing but unless there's a real need then don't.
>>
File: PexAl Layers.jpg (15 KB, 349x137) Image search: [Google]
PexAl Layers.jpg
15 KB, 349x137
>>968875
depends on the pex. in queensland, most of the houses are on stilts. because it was much cheaper to stump a house than to grade a level foundation and pour a slab. most locations dont really allow for a slab because of terrain or it would be prohibitively expensive. so the plumbing is all laid out to run under the house where it will be exposed to light. you can get special coated pex but this raises the cost.
>>
PEX is a disruptive technology in terms of plumbing. I was quoted 8,000 USD and 7,500 USD by two separate plumbers who wanted nothing to do with PEX. I researched it for a few hours and ended up doing it myself for 800 bucks. 100 year warranty on the PEX.
Plumbers hate it because its so easy to DIY and they continue to lose work because of it.
>>
PEX has some downsides, but it's quickly becoming the mainstream because it's so fucking easy to work with.

Get some sharkbite fittings if it's just a small fix. They cost more but require no special tools.
>>
>>969895
>plumbers hate this one easy tip.
>>
>>971461
Saw this coming
>>
>>969895

>100 year warranty

How does this even work?

>year 99
>pipe springs a leak in your now grandkids house
>they remember grandfather raging about some hundred year warranty
>call company
>"trans mistress foal, we do not have your purchase on record. But we will send the privilege enforcers over there right away. Have a nice day.
>>
>>971479
It's unlikely a company making this stuff is going to last 100 years so bang goes your warranty.
>>
>>971479
it's a trade warranty mate. you have no warranty because it's only warranted if installed by a qualified plumber. also insurance wont pay out if you stuffed a crimp and flood your house. this is the only reason people ever pay a plumber these days senpai desu
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.